News Announcement: Elite: Dangerous coming to Xbox One

David Braben

CEO & Founder
Frontier
Hi everyone,

When asked, I’ve said we’d be mad not to consider bringing Elite: Dangerous to console. Well, that madness is about to end! Today we’re announcing that we will be bringing the full Elite: Dangerous to Xbox One this year. Xbox players have supported Frontier well over the years, and thanks to games like Zoo Tycoon and ScreamRide we know the hardware well, so Xbox One is a natural fit for Elite: Dangerous’ console debut.

Elite: Dangerous on Xbox One will be the complete and authentic Elite: Dangerous experience. It will not be "dumbed down". We’ll be working with an all-new audience, but that doesn’t mean a change in direction for the game, and nor does it mean slowing development on the PC version. The second of our updates – Wings – is being beta tested by some of you right now, and the third will be coming in the spring, free of charge. We’ll be talking more about the third major update – Powerplay – soon!

More players across more formats means we can devote more resources to development. The more players we have, the better the game will become. Elite: Dangerous is a living game and it will keep growing on all our formats so long as people are excited to play it.

I’m also pleased to announce PC, Mac and Xbox One players will all share the same overarching narrative and galaxy state. That means even more players contributing to the wars, power struggles and Community Goals across the galaxy.

If you want to keep up to date on our Xbox One release you can sign up to be kept informed at http://www.elitedangerous.com/xboxone .

With the new Mac and Xbox One players joining us we’ll see new faces on the forums and we hope you’ll make them feel welcome. The Elite: Dangerous community has always been strong, and I’m sure it’ll be even stronger the more it grows.

Thanks for playing, and Right On, Commanders.

David

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Very interesting although not unexpected given the capability of the latest generation of consoles.

Looking forward to seeing how it develops.... :D

I know I know... But I have to ask...

Any plans of a PS4 version?

Dare we hope?

I know Frontier has always had a close relationship with Microsoft - but is PS4 totally out of the question?

Can you/will you even answer such a question? ;o)

We’ll be talking more about the third major update – Powerplay – soon!

I smell PvP :D

Oh look at all this combat.... those traders getting torn up ;)

Oh yea - Anaconda fighter bays :D

[video=youtube;fAwmbvRJkzM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAwmbvRJkzM[/video]

Last edited:
Console players have different demands, and tolerances. Shelling out £50 or so for a game still in development will cause a meltdown in the forums lol
But I can get my kids in this now :)

I'm mixed about this.

It depends if the galaxy will be shared with console players.

If the galaxy is shared, there's the whole balance thing (Controllers vs. PC control combos (and yes, I know a lot plays with Xbox controlelrs, but you still have a keyboard as a backup).

Also, and I hate to say this, XBox Live is swamped with wannebe 1337-kiddies (I know I'm generalizing here, but in my opinion, it's sadly the truth), and I'd hate to see those buzzing about my relatively peaceful galaxy, grieving just for the heck of it...

Interesting. Does this mean that console players will be in the same physical galaxy as PC players, or will they have their own separate galaxy that is sharing the data between them? I suspect the latter.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Crossplay over all platforms? That's just awesome!

While DBOBE has said that "PC, Mac and Xbox One players will all share the same overarching narrative and galaxy state", that does not necessarily mean that they will encounter each other, e.g. XBox One players may be in a large restricted access group and might never encounter PC or Mac players.

I know I know... But I have to ask...

Any plans of a PS4 version?

Dare we hope?

I know Frontier has always had a close relationship with Microsoft - but is PS4 totally out of the question?

Can you/will you even answer such a question? ;o)

It's being reported by the press that it's an Xbox One exclusive so it won't appear on any other console.

ED coming to Xboxone!

[video=youtube;fAwmbvRJkzM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAwmbvRJkzM[/video]

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Biggest question I have is will the console players be on the same server as the PC and MAC users?

Top Bottom