News Announcement: Elite: Dangerous coming to Xbox One

Big question.

Since our characters are saved on the server, and since the Xbox One version seems to use the same universal server, does that mean I can play my character on either the PC or Xbox One?

I'm sure there may be some funky business with Xbox Live and how the Xbox One handles accounts.

Interesting. Does this mean that console players will be in the same physical galaxy as PC players, or will they have their own separate galaxy that is sharing the data between them? I suspect the latter.

That would be my guess as well. Every time a cross platform game has come out, PC players have had an advantage over the console players, even when steps were taken to impede mouse and keyboard (Shadowrun for 360 and PC). Also I don't know if Microsoft would want to have the P2P networking system used for games on their platform.

Interesting. Does this mean that console players will be in the same physical galaxy as PC players, or will they have their own separate galaxy that is sharing the data between them? I suspect the latter.
David answered your question ...

I’m also pleased to announce PC, Mac and Xbox One players will all share the same overarching narrative and galaxy state. That means even more players contributing to the wars, power struggles and Community Goals across the galaxy.

This is concerning, Powerplay needs to have the overhauled mission systems. I'm dead against the introduction of new features when core features are currently broken...

It depends if the galaxy will be shared with console players.

If the galaxy is shared, there's the whole balance thing (Controllers vs. PC control combos (and yes, I know a lot plays with Xbox controlelrs, but you still have a keyboard as a backup).

Also, and I hate to say this, XBox Live is swamped with wannebe 1337-kiddies (I know I'm generalizing here, but in my opinion, it's sadly the truth), and I'd hate to see those buzzing about my relatively peaceful galaxy, grieving just for the heck of it...

As David wrote above:

I’m also pleased to announce PC, Mac and Xbox One players will all share the same overarching narrative and galaxy state. That means even more players contributing to the wars, power struggles and Community Goals across the galaxy.

The way I read it is that the meta data mentioned above will be shared, but who you physically meet will probably be separated.

Great news David! Let's see this puppy take over the world! More players --> More money --> More funds for development --> More cool stuff for us!! :cool:

well i guess that explains why everything has been multiplayer focused and solo gamer immersion & content less so.

i have mixed feelings about this, I know it's a generalisation but consoles tend to be more about BOOM BOOM PEW PEW PEW and it's such a big & demanding market...

...though thankfully (if it's a shared galaxy state) there will always be the likes of Mobius PvE

but I suspect this will put those things I backed the kickstarter for (deep immersion solo offline gaming, reactive galaxy & economy, complex missions & unfolding storylines) even further down the priority list.

__

edit: still, more sales = more money, which could mean more progress on the overall game.

Last edited:
It depends if the galaxy will be shared with console players.

If the galaxy is shared, there's the whole balance thing (Controllers vs. PC control combos (and yes, I know a lot plays with Xbox controlelrs, but you still have a keyboard as a backup).

Also, and I hate to say this, XBox Live is swamped with wannebe 1337-kiddies (I know I'm generalizing here, but in my opinion, it's sadly the truth), and I'd hate to see those buzzing about my relatively peaceful galaxy, grieving just for the heck of it...

I avoid consoles for a reason and you've just mentioned it. I hope they keep the console kiddies in their own sandbox so they can be l337 on their own.

The trouble I have with the trailer is that it just doesn't depict reality. I know it's marketing but when you're attracting the console generation with this you're asking for trouble.

This is concerning, Powerplay needs to have the overhauled mission systems. I'm dead against the introduction of new features when core features are currently broken...

Yeah, the typical console user would be very confused by Elite in its current state and probably quit after a few hours. Missions and encounters need a complete overhaul. Progression systems need a complete overhaul.

Bringing in new users to the current "empty universe" is a bad idea.

Does this actually mean crossplay? I can play with friends that have a Xboxone with my PC?

Michael Brookes

Game Director
well i guess that explains why everything has been multiplayer focused and solo gamer immersion & content less so.

i have mixed feelings about this, I know it's a generalisation but consoles tend to be more about BOOM BOOM PEW PEW PEW and it's such a big & demanding market...

...though thankfully (if it's a shared galaxy state) there will always be the likes of Mobius PvE

but I suspect this will put those things I backed the kickstarter for (deep immersion solo offline gaming, reactive galaxy & economy, complex missions & unfolding storylines) even further down the priority list.

It doesn't - these are still important features for the core game. We're still developing for PC as well as the new platforms.

Michael

Personally I don't care if you dumb down the console version, just don't keep the PC version dumbed down. Please give the PC the orrery map, advanced GUI like seen here, mouse support for the menu's in the cockpit, floaty windows for advanced executive decisions and efficient control, more firegroups, etc.

Top Bottom