TRACKIR How-To-Guide... EliteDangerousTrackIR.pdf & Config Files for YOU

I have to say this...

I own Track IR, and It is cracking.. BUT as for immersive?

Oculus wins hands down... so I would say its £150 ish for Track IR 5 and who knows for oculus? £200-£400 for full retail.

That difference tells the story.

I love the Track IR, really do.... BUT interestingly enough I trialed it at Elite Meet and have to say that when anyone played the game I had on with Track IR they sat... moved their heads around testing.. BUT when combat ensued they returned to a stationary head position throughout the action.

ELite is lovely with it... but during combat you rarely take your eyes off the crosshair.

THe big benefit is of course that it free's up a hat control on the joypad and that is handy.

SO in summary.. the Track IR is more of a new control for look than a truly immersive device.

It is nice, but I think saving that 150 and putting it into an oculus is a better option..

That said... NO MOTION sickness with Track IR

If when using that, you have a problem because if you turning your head left or right. You no longer looking at the monitor yourself.

Do you really think such a thing would even be greenlit if it meant you'd be looking away from the screen all the time? Do you think product designers are that stupid? Do some research before posting such misleading nonsense.

The only people with a problem are those relying on crappy POV switches to look for their enemies...

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Track IR OP; games will never be the same again. :)

BUT when combat ensued they returned to a stationary head position throughout the action.

Really? My experience of Track IR is my head moves more during combat than when just flying around. It's completely natural to want to keep track of an enemy and moving your head is the only way to do that, whether it's a Track IR, an OR or even real life. ;) Besides, it's far cheaper than the OR and as you said, no motion sickness.

Last edited:
I set it up at Elite Meet... maybe 8 people tried it..

Once the action started... very little looking about... strange I thought too.

SO that was my conclusions, and sitting at home its a PAIN playing with the Track IR having to keep resetting the ****** during the action..

Though I suspect thats more to do with the alpha build than the track IR..

I can upload some video... I have one that shows that you need to 'tweak' the settings..

Track IR un tweaked..

I did re-tweak it and got much better results.. Video to follow..

Mike Evans

Designer- Elite: Dangerous
Frontier
I've just finished tweaking various settings for it and fixing bugs on our end and it works a million times better now with minimum tweaking of trackir settings. In fact you'll be able to get a hold of the profile I set up for it once you get the next update should you wish (all it does is set Roll, x, y and z to be a one to one thing).

I've just finished tweaking various settings for it and fixing bugs on our end and it works a million times better now with minimum tweaking of trackir settings. In fact you'll be able to get a hold of the profile I set up for it once you get the next update should you wish (all it does is set Roll, x, y and z to be a one to one thing).

When's the next update?!?!?! :)

My TrackIR arrives today. I will "upgrade" to Oculus Rift when the consumer HD version launches

Commander Wombat

I disabled x i think, I disabled and inverted and the video im uploading now shows the better setup.. :D though still crap flying!! :D not sure it will EVER help me in that respect..

I left it up uncut and I actively tried looking about during combat!

Rex_Black

R
Really? My experience of Track IR is my head moves more during combat than when just flying around. It's completely natural to want to keep track of an enemy and moving your head is the only way to do that said:
Agreed.

Track IR is superb IMHO. I have been using it since it came out in the late 90's. With a bit of tweaking and practice it will give you the upper hand in combat against a joystick hat user.

Overheating? Just stick a piece of card between the sensor mount and your monitor, problem solved.

If you find your are having problems with using it ie; it locks up, map the button 'center view' (F12 by default) to your joystick.

Have a play with the smoothness/speed sliders out of game. Once you get your settings right its a joy to use.

Last edited:
I set it up at Elite Meet... maybe 8 people tried it..

Once the action started... very little looking about... strange I thought too.

SO that was my conclusions, and sitting at home its a PAIN playing with the Track IR having to keep resetting the ****** during the action..

Though I suspect thats more to do with the alpha build than the track IR..

I can upload some video... I have one that shows that you need to 'tweak' the settings..

Track IR un tweaked..

I did re-tweak it and got much better results.. Video to follow..

It's definitely more an alpha fault than a Track IR fault; I find that when I want to face front and centre in other games, all I need to do is face front and centre. :D

lol IM SORRY!!!

I just found out how to configure the damn thing to record at better quality..

And then I encode that garbage!!!!

Better to keep the thread about track IR rather than compare it to OR which is a completely different system at a different price point.

This has come up before and a lot of us do not want to be shut away in a head set, for many reasons but mine being that as part of a family even headphones can annoy the others.

Being able to chat while playing or let the kids watch over my shoulder is mandatory or there would simply be less game time available to me.

Please lets not keep saying OR is "better" because it's not, its just different and has a different purpose.

Ordered my TrackIR 5 bundle today - can't wait to try it out, particularly with the fixes coming in the next update.

BTW, Oculus Rift is a great thing, but there is one way in which TrackIR beats it hands down - for those of us with no sight in one eye, binocular depth fabrication, she no work.

Thank you FD for including several immersion options.

not its better!! :D It is... It is instantly immersive where as TrackIR is more of an easier control.. its good.

It is obvious in a room full of people that even those who may find the oculus sickening in motion will compare it 'better' than Track IR..

However as you say Track IR is cheaper, its less intrusive, it is also BLOOMING good. But it aint no oculus..

I have a nice new video 'crunching' at youtube..

I do love my Track IR and i am beginning to enjoy it in elite now i have kicked the settings butts..

:D

But I hardly think a thread about Track IR does anyone a service without showing it as a cheaper option to the oculus OR alternative due to its more favourable features..

Other those facts, I think thats all we need say about the oculus here..

I just wanted to say that in my opinion and everyone at Elite Meet.. the oculus is the hands down winner...

As one of those that tried Psykokow's Track IR at EliteMeet, I have to agree that once the combat started most people, and me included, just sat looking forward practically all of the time. I kind of forgot about the ability to look around, in the heat of battle, just staring at the crosshair.

I am probably also guilty of this to a lesser extent with the OR. It is more immersive so it draws you in more easily. But not looking directly forwards still felt a little strange for a game.

I think we have just trained ourselves to be always looking forwards and it will maybe take a little practice to re-train our brains as to the benefits of looking around.

I haven't got a Track IR yet, but I probably will, since the retail version of OR is maybe a year away. I see Amazon is now out of stock of Track IRs and we can probably blame ED for that! :)

There is a huge advantage using trackir in a dogfight. The rest of it is just for show but in combat you can see anticipate the enemy movements and adjust for their movements much quicker in combat resulting in you with the proper angle of attack ahead of their maneuvers. Some of the combat i've been involved in recently it isn't even fair against others without trackIR.

So when multiplayer comes around you'll want this.

Top Bottom