TRACKIR How-To-Guide... EliteDangerousTrackIR.pdf & Config Files for YOU

It does give you the ability to look quicker and hone in on that pesky bogie!

So in the endless loops you can break away quicker and find the target again..

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
It does give you the ability to look quicker and hone in on that pesky bogie!

Here you go. :D

964176-handkerchief_21104_lg.gif

I'd love to have a play with TrackIR It's a great system by all accounts and if you are playing on a large screen I can see it being a big advantage while in dogfights chasing the bogie...;)

Definitely thinking about a TrackIR, but the expense for what's essentially a webcam really puts me off.

I know they're different beasts, but I think I'll keep my powder dry and get a consumer Oculus later in the year.

Does anyone know if FreeTrack words with ED, using it's TrackIR mode??

I'm going to make my own :D for a fraction of the cost of TrackIR...

no idea, there are threads around that discuss homemade blue peter versions..

not that I want a plastic bottle glued to my forehead.... again.

New video is almost up... in this on, Track IR used more and more... and for some reason the last wave doesn't spawn... curse you alpha..

Homemade doesn't have to mean it's ****....

If you'd seen my attempts at airfix kits you'd disagree. Although I agree with your sentiment, the reality in my experience is you will approach the actual cost as you increase quality, prototype etc.

As an engineer I can say that often when people say it cost £x.xx, they make a few mistakes, for example they:
Forget to cost items they didn't use, broke and replaced.
Look at their items performance and quality through rose tinted glasses.
Undersell their actual skills and ability.

Just words of warning :)

As one of those that tried Psykokow's Track IR at EliteMeet, I have to agree that once the combat started most people, and me included, just sat looking forward practically all of the time. I kind of forgot about the ability to look around, in the heat of battle, just staring at the crosshair.

The scanner is also of great importance in Elite combat, and having just watched a TrackIR alpha demo I can see how looking around deprives the pilot of that ... which could also explain why people look forward in combat.

Maybe I'm just old but using OR would stop me seeing the keyboard and even the joystick and therefore would be a step too far for me.
I mean having fifty or more buttons with two shifts would just make my head melt.
I too am on the cheapie non Track IR path and am hoping in time it can be made to work just as well.
But at this time it seems people are finding it hard to make it work.
See the Blue Peter head tracking thread.

From a hardware point of view there appears to be no benefit using the genuine TrackIR stuff. The ps3 eye camera seems to be on a par with TrackIR 5.
Look at the technical details on the wiki here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrackIR

Also many people have noticed that the Track clip pro is of an inferior construction to the Delan clip and a bit more expensive too.

If when using that, you have a problem because if you turning your head left or right. You no longer looking at the monitor yourself.

Do you really think such a thing would even be greenlit if it meant you'd be looking away from the screen all the time? Do you think product designers are that stupid? Do some research before posting such misleading nonsense.

Yeah, it's probably the number 1 myth when it comes to headtracking devices. At worst a TrackIR user is looking at the far left or right side of the monitor.

The only time I can imagine anyone getting close to "not looking at the screen" is either;
1- Person turned sensitivity way too far down
2- Person is playing on 15" inch monitor and is sitting 3+ feet (1+ meter) away

There is a huge advantage using trackir in a dogfight. The rest of it is just for show but in combat you can see anticipate the enemy movements and adjust for their movements much quicker in combat resulting in you with the proper angle of attack ahead of their maneuvers. Some of the combat i've been involved in recently it isn't even fair against others without trackIR.

So when multiplayer comes around you'll want this.

I cannot agree more!

If you'd seen my attempts at airfix kits you'd disagree. Although I agree with your sentiment, the reality in my experience is you will approach the actual cost as you increase quality, prototype etc.

As an engineer I can say that often when people say it cost £x.xx, they make a few mistakes, for example they:
Forget to cost items they didn't use, broke and replaced.
Look at their items performance and quality through rose tinted glasses.
Undersell their actual skills and ability.

Just words of warning :)

Totally see where you're coming from on the rose-tinted glasses ;) For me though, it doesn't need to look amazing (gaffer tape covers most sins lol) as long as it works well :)

I'm going in to it eyes wide open, happy to spend a few quid on playing about. I'll share my creations no doubt ;) But will need to get it working on ED first :p

Totally see where you're coming from on the rose-tinted glasses ;) For me though, it doesn't need to look amazing (gaffer tape covers most sins lol) as long as it works well :)

I'm going in to it eyes wide open, happy to spend a few quid on playing about. I'll share my creations no doubt ;) But will need to get it working on ED first :p

The important bit I often find is just how talented people are who are trying this sort of stuff, when you do it yourself it's often not as easy as it may look :)

I'm mint with lego and little else.

Time is a factor also.

Someone may spend 5 or 6 hours on their budget work around in order to save the outlay on the commercial product yet that same 5 or 6 hours could be spent making the money in order to purchase a hassle free commercial product.

In regards to the fragility of the Pro Clip, it is very fragile by the looks of it. I think due to it not fitting on my headphones and thus having to use copper wire to secure it probably makes mine stronger. The only thing that could break off on mine would be the sensor extensions.

Don't forget to factor in the shame of your better half taking a photo of how silly you look and posting it on Facebook... that applies to all version I suppose :)

Top Bottom