UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Won't be online till sunday evening.
Good luck finding 'em.
If they still are elusive and nothing has been found till sunday,
i guess "combing" really is a thing to organize.

Well, the timer of the Strange Alloys mission has come to an end for me. No trace of Meta-Alloys. I've been looking for them in different planets in Merope and Maia in the Pleiades nebula, then after failing to find any, I went to the region of planetary nebula Ghost of Jupiter (1.500 ly from Sol) and also did a wide search in several planets. Yesterday I came back to Pleiades and also explored a couple of planets in the "UA shell" when passing by, after confirming that UA were spawning in that system.

Indeed those POI that are related to Meta-Alloys are exceedingly rare or I've been exceedingly unlucky. Being as stubborn as I am, my next task is to search again for the Strange Alloys mission (obtaining the mission was a task of days in its own) and keep looking for those Meta-Alloys.

P.S.: by the way, thanks should be given to mr. Brookes for directing us to the right spot. It's been a bit late for me, but anyway I was looking in the right places!

Last edited:
Oh! I wish I wasn't at work right now.. I want to scour that bit of space so badly at the moment.

I'm guessing we should be sticking to systems within the nebula cloud, right? And not the systems just outside?

Good idea, although he's in the basic Sidewinder. I could always drop him some palladium for an FSD upgrade.

Although he's stuck yet on starting procedures... Does not bode well...

Sounds like the start of most great adventures; the cynical old-hand and the wide-eyed young kid.
No need to worry, he'll probably turn out to be a master Jedi or something.... that's how these things usually go :D

Forgot. Fancied a change from aimlessly wandering Maia and Merope and decided late on to do the Sothis missions runs. Im parked on a planet half way there, with a hold full of "Empire things". Ill have to drop these off and return, unless anyone is nearer. On a long winded route now, its a bit of a schlep to Maia B too, over 300000Ls. The reason for my forgetfulness.... Glenlivet, a Canonn favourite I believe!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm nearly back there in my Conda, I'm done with Maia and Merope as apparently they are 'common' in a certain region so I'm going to see a sister!

It's so tempting to just blow myself up so I can get back faster but then I'd loose all this lovely exploration data...

I'll reiterate what I said a few pages ago: I strongly recommend we take UA's with us to the planets we go to an listen to them. We have spent a lot of time searching and even if we know which nebula they are in it's STILL very vague, even if, as I suspect, they really are in Merope, the UA's might say something different when we land on a planet with barnacles so it's worth checking.
I say this because it seems likely they are fixed POI's, which means no amount of blue circle hunting is going to find em for us, in which case we'd need some way of being given coordinates, and the UA's have been the aliens mouthpiece to us the whole time, I think they very much want to be found.

Last edited:
It's so tempting to just blow myself up so I can get back faster but then I'd loose all this lovely exploration data...

I'll reiterate what I said a few pages ago: I strongly recommend we take UA's with us to the planets we go to an listen to them. We have spent a lot of time searching and even if we know which nebula they are in it's STILL very vague, even if, as I suspect, they really are in Merope, the UA's might say something different when we land on a planet with barnacles so it's worth checking.
I say this because it seems likely they are fixed POI's, which means no amount of blue circle hunting is going to find em for us, in which case we'd need some way of being given coordinates, and the UA's have been the aliens mouthpiece to us the whole time, I think they very much want to be found.

It'd certainly be worth dropping one in space in each of the 7 sister systems and potentially all other Pleiades systems to see if their behaviour differs.

Given the new hint, can we make this a concerted / group effort? List all the Nebula, systems within as well as the planets which people have visited (and how many POI perhaps?) I don't have enough time, but perhaps someone could start a new thread and keep updating the first post with everyone's data?
A start: http://i.imgur.com/tbYUzFF.jpg

Pleiades Nebula (seven sisters in it: http://earthsky.org/favorite-star-patterns/pleiades-star-cluster-enjoys-worldwide-renown)
Witch Head Nebula
North America Nebula
California Nebula
Pelican Nebula
Orion Nebula
Horse Head Nebula
Veil Nebula East
Etc.

An approach I'll be taking is to try the systems whose names are more easy to write rather than those with jumbled numbers and letters. Looking forward to searching once again and good luck to all!
I've been wanting to try Coalsack for a while but had been too far away, with too little time to play.

Last edited:
One question regarding the Pleiades Nebula:
I'm playing Horzizons on a Laptop that is on the edge of the minimum recommendations. I scrolled around the galaxy map to look for systems within the nebula.
In my galaxy map it seems that there are only very few systems in the nebula itself, like only the seven sisters and perhaps Atlas. I was looking for systems in the dark part of the nebula but could not find any.
Is the nebula on the galaxy map larger with better graphics? Can we name the systems that are in the nebula?

Thanks Michael, we appreciate narrowing the search.
I think for the purposes of continuity and those who don't follow the forums it'd be useful if this snippet of info was revealed in game through a Galnet article.

would be great to see this kind of thing on galnet!
Micheal Brooks = Ishmael Plain for much of the canonn ;)

Last edited:

Definitely worth investigating, but I have a feeling we need to just find one first - could be a lot of time spent on the planet surface in the SRV - and it gets damaged with UA in tow.

I actually had more luck finding POIs just driving aimlessly across the planet and paying attention to the scanner - would've been suicide with a UA on board, well - if I didn't have a load of repair materials anyway.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom