UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Great points. The bolded bit is a bit conflicting though. If they really wanted a very dark place, they wouldn't pick a system within a nebula to start with.

The only things I can think of as being significant for nebulae:

- They reflect light, which means <in game hat on> someone/something might like brighter places or <out of game hat on> the brighter light makes these places easier to search!
- They're visual landmarks that are a lot more appealing than a random system in deep space.
- They're the nurseries for stars and planets. Has anyone seen a brand new star or planet recently? Maybe if we hang around for a few million years something might show up....

In terms of the nebula/black hole and darkness, it's as much about symbolism, as anything else. Maia contains the darkest planetary bodies in the Nebula, that I am aware of.

B1G and B1F get the closest to the black hole and also orbit a brown dwarf which gives off almost no light. It's the darkest part of the system. When sitting on B1G or B1BA, it almost feels like hell itself, when looking at the binary planet in the sky. Awesome sight regardless of the search.

Regarding Nebulae. They are not as bright in real life. NASA (and FD) enhance the colours and brightness so it looks prettier and is easier to see.

These things could be anywhere though. So everywhere in the nebula needs searched, which we are doing.

Not one but SOME, CMDRs. And not necessarily on the Seven Stars only, if I can venture...
Thanks MB: on the Frontpage NOW ™. ;)

Yeah - the language was always quite clear on that I thought. A system in the nebula, not in one of the seven sisters systems.

The thing now is that we now know we have manually placed ones.

Tempted to divide my time tonight between Merope still and one of the unnamed systems next to it that's also in the nebula - it's got an orange star and two landable moons. Don't ask what the name is - haven't got a scooby!

And with that, you've set me to thinking about something I noticed a year ago.
When I took my first exploration expedition, I headed spinward towards Cygnus. I ended up at the Crescent Nebula and there were around 20 systems that were permit locked in and around the nebula. What was really strange was that after the 3rd or 4th time of restarting in that area, the permit designation disappeared from the system marker on Galaxy Map. I tried to jump into one of the systems that previously had a permit required but looked clear. It crashed to menu EVERY time.

I wrote the systems down at the time so I'll have to refer to my notes to see which ones they were. I also remember noticing at the time that quite a few nebulae had permit required systems within them at that time. Veil Nebula West had one at the bright star immediately in front of it on the Sol-ward side.

I wonder if we're seeing something come of it now.

I smell fish ;)

And with that, you've set me to thinking about something I noticed a year ago.
When I took my first exploration expedition, I headed spinward towards Cygnus. I ended up at the Crescent Nebula and there were around 20 systems that were permit locked in and around the nebula. What was really strange was that after the 3rd or 4th time of restarting in that area, the permit designation disappeared from the system marker on Galaxy Map. I tried to jump into one of the systems that previously had a permit required but looked clear. It crashed to menu EVERY time.

I wrote the systems down at the time so I'll have to refer to my notes to see which ones they were. I also remember noticing at the time that quite a few nebulae had permit required systems within them at that time. Veil Nebula West had one at the bright star immediately in front of it on the Sol-ward side.

I wonder if we're seeing something come of it now.

Great observation!

Maybe totally unrelated but I started looking around at a few nebulaes (in the map only) and I looked at the whole horsehead, barnard's loop complex. I saw a star there very bright, may be the brightest that I didn't recall seeing the last time I looked at tha area. the name had something to do with Orionis but the interesting bit is that it started with an asterisk *. to the best of my knowlege I thought only SGR A* had the asterisk... is this new?

I can't believe in how many ways we can stretch this mystery given the malleability of tin foil (hats).

Thursday, as in the cryptic mission log, comes from Thor's day.

Thor's hammer, Mjölnir, is forged in a dying star (supernova, leads naturally to a black hole and a nebula) of 'uru', which is a material with very unique properties (Meta-Alloy).

Can't take off this tinfoil hat any time soon.

So the star system in question can indeed be Maia if you ask me.

Yeah - the language was always quite clear on that I thought. A system in the nebula, not in one of the seven sisters systems.

The thing now is that we now know we have manually placed ones.

Tempted to divide my time tonight between Merope still and one of the unnamed systems next to it that's also in the nebula - it's got an orange star and two landable moons. Don't ask what the name is - haven't got a scooby!

Easy it's the famous/notorious system with the "airless" waterworld I believe ends in C1-15.

This maybe?

SmdKXEN.png

Taken from the book :"A Dictionary of Some Tuamotuan Dialects of the Polynesian Language"

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=zqjqCAAAQBAJ&pg=PA291&lpg=PA291&dq=barnacle+pleiades&source=bl&ots=rrxerkFROd&sig=IyqKbzI72i_R4m5SDx8iuzh8ovI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjX-sCc_qHKAhWG1RQKHRSNCIcQ6AEIfDAS#v=onepage&q=barnacle%20pleiades&f=false

Just to add a little more definition:

ojglnmV.png

gMvaB4e.png

Gd4XWto.png

Gvc7Xsx.png

skjDrRC.png

RQEVpb7.png

From the reference https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elements_of_the_Cthulhu_Mythos
AartnaMetallic alien beings living on planets located in Pleiades Cluster, acolytes of the Great Old One Gtuhanai.
FEAR, too much FEAR.

Following that road it appears the name of Celaeno:

Celaeno is one of the seven stars of the Pleiades. On its fourth planet is the Great Library of Celaeno, which houses stone tablets containing secrets stolen from the Great Old Ones and Elder Gods. Professor Laban Shrewsbury spent some time here, transcribing the library's knowledge in his notebook—a manuscript that would later be known as theCelaeno Fragments.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraterrestrial_places_in_the_Cthulhu_Mythos#Celaeno

Last edited:
I can't believe in how many ways we can stretch this mystery given the malleability of tin foil (hats).

Thursday, as in the cryptic mission log, comes from Thor's day.

Thor's hammer, Mjölnir, is forged in a dying star (supernova, leads naturally to a black hole and a nebula) of 'uru', which is a material with very unique properties (Meta-Alloy).

Can't take off this tinfoil hat any time soon.

So the star system in question can indeed be Maia if you ask me.

Or HR1185 which is close and has a black hole.... that said since it isn't technically in the nebula.... could the gravity of the massive pleaides have pulled the nebula away from HR1185..... very stretchy thinking here...

EDIT (and an important one): HR1185 did feature some of the first free floating UAs before they shelled out at 135-150LY.

Last edited:
Celaeno (and the Pleiades) form a part of the Cthulhu mythos.

A recurring theme of Lovecraft is that the Old Ones, Cthulhu and his pals, like nothing better than residing in the deepest darkest places, waiting and watching. Read The Haunter Of The Dark short story.

Slap bang in the Pleiades, within Maia, is a a very deep dark place. A black hole. None of the planets around it receive much light at all, except from the nebula.

It is also the location of Palin's new research base. Maia is totally enveloped by the nebula.

Looking for them and poking them has consequences. The UA have been watching us from their dark places for a long time.

It is probably not a coincidence that the UA look like an octupus with it's tentacles chopped off.

I have been searching for a while using the Lovecraftian clues (and all over the nebula). Maia B1g and B1f are the creepiest looking bodies I have been on.

Unfortunately they are too big and I am too little. My biggest fear is that the random spawn rate has been set far too low (tea and ship debris in abundance though) and that there aren't enough of the fixed POI.

When the stars have aligned and enough of us believe in them, they will come forth...

Someone have the book "Forces of Change" J. B. Lee 1999 ?
It's full of references.

I saw dense PoIs at the poles on Merope 3C. Best guess is that it's an artefact of the distribution process. If you assume that there is a random chance of a PoI showing up at each (x,y) on the surface then there dense clusters of these at the poles due to the lines of latitude converging, hence more PoIs.

The graphic below might help: if there is a equal chance of a PoI showing up in each divided area then sitting at the pole you have more chance of seeing PoIs around you as there are more areas.

View attachment 93969

This is an exceedingly clever observation - a decent RNG tries to guarantee an even distribution of values in a given range; but if that range is mapped to an uneven/warped surface like this, then indeed the poles will have a higher incidence rate than anywhere else - and the equator will be the 'worst' place to be.

There must also be a ceiling, too, though, of the number of POIs that can be active at a time.

The thing is, if you're right - then you've just filed a bug report to MB for them to fix it later. Could be evened out by applying a scaling factor that reduces the overall chances as you near the poles.

Anyway - repped :)

I suspect though that MB wants us to use our brains to find the target, not use a brute force approach as many of us are doing.

My guess is his hints were not intended to send us all scurrying to the region to start scanning madly, but instead apply those hints to the things like analyzing the videos or in-game info (little that it is) to it.

I could of course be totally off base.

You are not wrong most of the infos on the UA could be found in form of text or else in the game. It's probably right in our face like the UA was but people think we are looking for crabs.

Yeah, however, we tend to miss the "obvious" and then spend months looking for the obscure.

What is obvious for MB and not overthinking things might take a while for those who are analyzing this to hit on the solution.

Anyway, yes, the solution will probably not be as convoluted as people are currently thinking, and with hindsight it will be one of those "Oh, that's so obvious!" type things.

That's what happen when you focus on multiple different theories with no clear roadmap and that's why smaller groups with clear defined objectives will be much more successful at finding clues.

Last edited:
I want to follow the distress calls but i need at least 2 ships to wing up... just got the black screen for the second time ¬¬ ,maybe nothing but , isn't distress calls released with the horizons? maybe they are related and we can get a clue?

Help please!

I took a UA to all planets in merope and listened tot he morse. Found nothing but I want to do the same with Maia. Did anyone check some of its planets? I will do it i just don't want to double-check for nothing

Something else came up to my mind. The Merope nebula is thickest around Maia and Merope. (Based on Finnish Wikipedia-page)

There's some pictures stars near / between the Maia and Merope. I have not visited the first one, but the second was visited last summer. Those are yellow/orange stars

Starmap1
Pleiades_Sector_01.jpg

Starmap2
Pleiades_Sector_02.jpg

Pleiades Sector HR-W D1-79
Pleiades_sector_HR-W_D1-79.jpg

There you have an Yellow star with tidally locked planet :)

Based on Google Docs spreadsheet this system is on investigation. Can someone check that PD-S P4-2? It is Class M star. I wonder the thrusters position on trailer (over 1G), it might be vain for this poor Pleiades Sector HR-W D1-79 1A rocky ball.

According with Wikipedia, Barnacles should grow over a substrate eroding it and these are marine organism.
Due to the fact that Horizons doesn't allow us to land on air planets with wather, the only possible option is the MIST. The substrate can be a crashed ship.
Being manually placed like some crashed ships, we have to search for a manually placed crash site on a planet with MIST.
Where can probably crash a ship on Pleiades? Near a black hole I think... who knows?

Last edited:
According with Wikipedia, Barnacles should grow over a substrate eroding it and these are marine organism.
Due to the fact that Horizons doesn't allow us to land on air planets with wather, the only possible option is the MIST. The substrate can be a crashed ship.
Being manually placed like some crashed ships, we have to search for a manually placed crash site on a planet with MIST.
Where can probably crash a ship on Pleiades? Near a black hole I think... who knows?

Well.... if you're going with a strict marine interpretation then I'd be inclined to think that an ice world might be the thing then. If these barnacles are indeed seeded probably thorugh a crash and or meteorite impact (traces of 50 horror movies here) then the heat from the impact/blast would probably melt the icy/salty ground and allow these organisms to fester. As a bonus ice planets are far easier to look for stuff on because they are very bright and you can spot dark features. Also a lot of them feature deep canyones and crevices that are reddish (probably some sort of briny salt ) and that has been shown in the trailer video (last shot before the horizons splash appears).

Well apparently the canopy bug is still a thing, so I managed to get back to Obsidian just fine. I'm logging off for now though. Next place I'm going to check is the planet Obsidian orbits, because IIRC when we went down there at launch it had a lot of mist.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom