UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I have to disagree with you, and I'm becoming a bit critic of all this thing. All we know has been literally fed to us by the devs, we didn't discover that they can be in nebulae, that they can't be spotted from orbital cruise, that there are some in Pleiades. The only clue that one could find in-game was the description of the meta-alloys. Which says nothing. They can be found in "some areas of space" - it's a very generic statement, not a piece of a puzzle.

The problem is that this puzzle has no pieces, has only some very generic indications. I'd like to have missions that give you some pieces of the puzzle and that you can finally combine. In this case, we have a box with the final image but no pieces inside. Instead we are being told that there is a big piece corresponding to the complete resolved puzzle, somewhere, in Pleiades.

I agree. Don't get me wrong I really take off my hat for Michael Brookes staying so close in contact with us Players, but I too feel the Information should all be kept more ingame and more "in Character". This Story has a lot potential for News , missions etc. giving away hints and clues.

While there is something as the barnacle (Gold) rush going on atm which is nice I just have mixed Feelings about the way the Information is fed to us. Also remember that ingame News reaches all Players, MB comments here only a part of those who read the Forum.

For me a sence of Exploration and discovery comes from really finding out somethin on my own or at least ingame.

Last edited:
In evolutionary biology this is known as a "just-so story". You're looking at a feature of an organism (one we've never actually seen by the way, so we don't know actually how they're shaped) and creating a story that explains that feature. There could be many explanations for something being "barnacle shaped" including the possibility that they were designed to look that way by some alien species. High G worlds isn't a bad theory, it's just not a known fact, which is the kind of thing they're trying to put on the front page, rather than speculation. The speculation is for the rest of the thread.
I'm sorry but large barnacles obviously look like the large barnacle looking thing in the Horizons trailer! :) If we can't even make this assumption we might as well pack it up and go home.

When it comes to the whole fixed/POI thing we only have one indication of their "behaviour": large ship crash sites. They do not appear as purple circles on the scanner so there is no reason to believe that barnacles will, although we can't rule it out completely.

Aaannnddd just what sort of god would a combo of Thargoids barnacles and M Brooks produce? Ya really want that?
Of course maybe the right place to look is Haathor 3

Question 1:

I just want to get some feedback on the whole Lovecraft / Chutulu mythos take:

1. The black notebook, sent to the person who cracked the UA code (a notebook being mentioned in said mythos being kept in the Pleiades)
2. Numerous Lovecraft mythos hints dropped by MB
3. The fact that the Pleiades plays a part in said Mythos, as well as other notable places in space.

From my previous post following the wild speculation on the last MB comment:

Its from the Lovecraft mythos, the elder god that lives in Pleiades:

Stellar regions where the star Celaeno is located. The Pleiades are also mentioned as the stellar abode of the Great Old One Gtuhanai, and the mysterious alien race, known as the Aartna, as well

Celaeno is one of the seven stars of the Pleiades. On its fourth planet is the Great Library of Celaeno, which houses stone tablets containing secrets stolen from the Great Old Ones and Elder Gods. Professor Laban Shrewsbury spent some time here, transcribing the library's knowledge in his notebook—a manuscript that would later be known as the Celaeno Fragments.

*edit
Aartna Metallic alien beings living on planets located in Pleiades Cluster, acolytes of the Great Old One Gtuhanai.

I know its been up before https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=222049&page=122&p=3403266&viewfull=1#post3403266 , but has this lead been completely written off? I do honestly believe that it has a lot more weight to it then speculation about what the space barnacles eat and or any connection to an antropod on our earth.

Question 2:

The mysterious seat reference, how many sources have reported it?
If just one, then isn't it just a red herring?

Last edited:
Ok, here it goes.

After another afternoon on the moons of Merope, it hit me; Without something more, this whole endeavour is absolutely futile. Taking the 7 Sisters as a clue, that still leaves a truly phenomenal area for us to cover. We're spread out all over the Pleiades, when even as a focused effort on a single moon, we're going to be there a long time. As it stands, we could be doing this for years. Something a little more precise is needed. I'm not asking for the answer, merely a start for the community to knuckle down on and get to work. At least in the right system (not necessarily a moon as a clue), we can at least feel a sense of progress. So, I guess what my single question to Michael would be is this:

Which of the seven sisters would you consider to be most attractive?

Ok, here it goes.

After another afternoon on the moons of Merope, it hit me; Without something more, this whole endeavour is absolutely futile. Taking the 7 Sisters as a clue, that still leaves a truly phenomenal area for us to cover. We're spread out all over the Pleiades, when even as a focused effort on a single moon, we're going to be there a long time. As it stands, we could be doing this for years. Something a little more precise is needed. I'm not asking for the answer, merely a start for the community to knuckle down on and get to work. At least in the right system (not necessarily a moon as a clue), we can at least feel a sense of progress. So, I guess what my single question to Michael would be is this:

Which of the seven sisters would you consider to be most attractive?

[h=3]Celaeno[/h]Reason:
See my post above

The problem is that that system has no land-able planets.....

I'm sorry but large barnacles obviously look like the large barnacle looking thing in the Horizons trailer! :) If we can't even make this assumption we might as well pack it up and go home.

When it comes to the whole fixed/POI thing we only have one indication of their "behaviour": large ship crash sites. They do not appear as purple circles on the scanner so there is no reason to believe that barnacles will, although we can't rule it out completely.

There are several structures in the trailer. There are tall stalk-like things with green pods on them. There is also the corner of... something, which I think most of us assume is the base of a large barnacle. We don't know this for sure. We also don't know what the rest of the structure looks like. It could look like an earth barnacle or it could have a huge skinny spire that sticks out of it like some bases. My point is that speculation based on the structure of something we haven't even seen going in the first page is misleading and probably not a good idea. Heck, even if we had a picture of an entire barnacle, claiming they only appear on high gravity worlds is still speculation and shouldn't go on the first page without some sort of confirmation.

Rizal is and has been very good at organizing the fluff versus actual facts. MB's comment was based upon my joke-bribe to him. They've given us all the hints that they're going to at this time. What's going to happen next is already written. Either a CMDR is going to get very lucky and find one, or the story is going to advance itself.

Michael - for the record, I apologize that my joke about offering to construct a life-sized Cthulhu statue is sending people on a wild goose chase.

I know your post was a joke/bribe, but that doesn't mean he didn't take it as an opportunity to inject some obscure hint. My knee-jerk reaction when I read MB's response was that it was just fluff. But the longer I think about it, the more I think it's not. Now, if he comes in here and says explicitly it was just fluff, then fine, you can all laugh at me. Perhaps he is laughing at me right now. But until then, I'm not going to assume anything. It doesn't matter if what's going to happen is already written or not. I believe that in order for the story to advance, something needs to be triggered by the players. MB wants this to happen too, which is why he's been nudging us along. Think, it was kind of a long time between your joke and his response, and why would he have a reason to mention "every street corner"? I'm not bashing Rizal at all. I just think that at this point, we can't be sure of anything.

There are several structures in the trailer. There are tall stalk-like things with green pods on them. There is also the corner of... something, which I think most of us assume is the base of a large barnacle. We don't know this for sure. We also don't know what the rest of the structure looks like. It could look like an earth barnacle or it could have a huge skinny spire that sticks out of it like some bases. My point is that speculation based on the structure of something we haven't even seen going in the first page is misleading and probably not a good idea. Heck, even if we had a picture of an entire barnacle, claiming they only appear on high gravity worlds is still speculation and shouldn't go on the first page without some sort of confirmation.
Based on what you see of the large structure it's pretty easy to "fill in the blanks" so to speak, but yes, we don't know what the top looks like. As for what I bolded I completely agree.

We have more hypotheses than stars in the Pleiades and increasing. That's it! EUREKKA! An invasion of hypothetical beings, our world and our science are threatened, get your tinfoil hats.

Last edited:
Maybe we should consider this (sorry, didn't find better image) - habitable zone regarding the class of a star.

Habitable_zone_-_HZ.png

I know this one is from the human point of view, but with some approximation, could have some significance for our search. Note that specific type of a stellar body will play a role of its own (rocky, HMC, MR, size, gravity, etc.) in the approximation. Should reduce the amount of planetary objects to sweep.

Right, I think I've documented every landable planet in the seven sisters and the pleiades nebula. You can find a link of post #3 (Thanks @ riz@l) of this thread or here. I stuck a filter on it so its a bit more use. Or just copy the data into your own research.

Heres a list of the systems within the nebula I could find. If I'm missing any let me know

Pleiades Sector HR-W d1-79
Pleiades Sector GW-W c1-15
Pleiades Sector KC-V c2-14
Pleiades Sector DL-Y d65
Pleiades Sector KC-V c2-11
Pleiades Sector HR-W d1-74

That list is excellent! There is one thing missing, a category listing volatiles. I can sort of guess looking at these now though. Thank you for the great work!!!

Volatiles provide the mist and I think is one of the critical components to finding these things, along with metal content, temperature and tidal locking. We already have the nebula component, as we are all there!

There is a reason MB implied they aren't in Merope. Once we answer that question, we are a huge step forward to finding those things. It was the biggest clue he gave, I think.

I really wish the secret to the puzzle was a planet that doesn't show up on the scanners. A "hidden" planet. That would be so cool!

In a way I was hoping that they'd add a synthesis improvement ability to scanners, much like how they've added the them for FSD, Reload AMMO, SRV Fuel, etc.

Its like Im already expecting Raxxla to exist, and only be accessable at a 60+LY jump range where we'll need to boost our FSDs by 100%

That list is excellent! There is one thing missing, a category listing volatiles. I can sort of guess looking at these now though. Thank you for the great work!!!

Volatiles provide the mist and I think is one of the critical components to finding these things, along with metal content, temperature and tidal locking. We already have the nebula component, as we are all there!

There is a reason MB implied they aren't in Merope. Once we answer that question, we are a huge step forward to finding those things. It was the biggest clue he gave, I think.

Where was that implied?

I know that. What I'm debating is that there is ANOTHER condition inside the Pleiades Nebula for the RNG barnacles to spawn.
With what we know now, the only condition is being in a Nebula. That's all. If there should be another condition, being already inside a Nebula, imagine how difficult.
Imagine if MB did not hint us the Nebulae and then the Pleiades One.

I'm just sticking with what we know because MB said it: until now the condition is The Nebula. For what we know, the Barnacles could spawn in every planet of every system inside the Nebula. Like the Convoys, remember?
We cannot rule out ANY planet for now, be it Icy, Rocky, Metal or whatever.
The Rocky have the mist, the Icy the steep Canyons, The Metals the metal, and so on.

The rest is speculation.

Which is why now when i search a planet - ive started making a list of the various environments on the planet - and visit each one ... in the chance that the meta-alloys/barnacle is limited to one of those types ...

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom