UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Cmdr Panzertard posted some useful comments (at 13Jan2016 7:02pm in #3984) about the veracity of the Horizons release trailer.
Cmdr P- thank you for that; I totally missed the livestream on 15th December & had assumed that the release trailer was a compiled sequence to (1) show off Horizons & (2) to give us some clues to interesting things now available in 2.0 (but with scenes shown out of order & obfuscated to avoid being too obvious).
I have finally found the time to look that section of the trailer you mentioned (actually I think I watched the sequence from about 2:59:00 onwards, & also the MB interview) & you are quite right- the release trailer is "cinematic" & from what was said I interpret this as meaning the scenes shown were chosen for cinematic effect & are NOT related, either between themselves, or to any storyline, and therefore cannot be relied upon for any visual clues in the Barnacles search. That includes even the release trailer scene at 55-57 seconds which shows some alien structures which we had assumed to be the Barnacles (plus maybe something else), so I am not convinced even about the G level for barnacles as inferred by some from the thruster angle shown in that scene (to be honest to me they look almost horizontal, but its so difficult to see anything even at max brightness), I'm now not even convinced that was shown in that scene are barnacles; maybe it shows a Thargoid ship or nest with Thargoid green work lights somewhere in the Polaris sector! I now think that the only clue we have to Barnacle location is from MB comments in our megathread -> that some Barnacles have been manually located (implying several sites) in the Pleiades as PPOI (& therefore very hard to locate since you have to be low or on the ground to see them), but other barnacles may occur in any nebulae (presumably if the conditions are appropriate) through the RNG POI mechanism & those will be exceedingly rare. This is all a shame because this had the basis for a great treasure hunt leading to new storyline features. Now it appears to be a matter of pure grind plus pot luck. I think we need a Galnet post or five from Prof Palin!!

Ninja'd by Cmdr Octo's discovery!

Last edited:
Binary Planet Lat: 27.?3 Long:9?.??

There are 2 numbers after the point on the longitude, we can probably assume the same for the latitude ...

Total opposite of what many of us were expecting the conditions to be!

Having studied planetary conditions extensively, I don't think they actually factor into anything at all, at present.

Here, for example, is a 100% metal planet, surface temp 1070K, with thick mist all over its surface:

Screenshot_0296.png

Inside this next spoiler is my current theory of when mist occurs. It's in spoiler tags because it's kinda disappointing.

I think the mist is just a function of depth relative to datum altitude (what we'd call "sea level" on Earth) and graphics settings, hence why some of us have super creepy misty screenshots and others are confused about where mist exists. Sometimes, if you SC out of a deep crater, you'll notice your altitude is actually negative, which is what gave me that idea.

As for the Barnacles, I'm pretty sure this is how it works: they manually placed a larger version of a barnacle in a few super cool spots, and they programmatically seeded a bunch more littler ones (and that what we're seeing is this latter category). I'll be really surprised if there's anything involved beyond "If planet in nebula, % chance to place barnacle(s) somewhere on planet." I bet they're all persistent - i.e. not blue circles - but that only some were manually placed.

I still think Merope 1B is an especially good place to look for more barnacles, at this point, but not because of the chance to find them:

trailerweather.png

Because that's probably the closest I've seen anyone get to the trailer conditions so far, and a great place for a super creepy screenshot. :) (Taken during regular eclipse)

Congrats to CMDR Octo and associates! It's good to finally get a look at what we're all dealing with.

So CMDRs, how many binary planets could be 23Ly from Maia? I assume it be one: Fast! :D
I'm at work now, so no Galmap for me!

Last edited:
Yeah after sitting here listening for a while it is making full on UA sounds, I'm sure there'll be something to interpret from that.

We will also need to look into regrowth rates, if we go away and come back will it be back in its former glory? If so how long does that take?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom