Detailed DK2/CV1 Setup Guide with Oculus Runtime 1.3+

I did had to reboot after 7) for Elite to find the occulus ( HMD options in Graphics/3D ). Restarting the Oculus service was not enough...

Works great.
The new "Asynchronous Timewarp" thingy is doing wonders for eliminating shoppiness. But is it the cause for the black smearing ?

I don't think so, the black smearing I believe has something to do with the amount of colours being set for the device. It was something that happened in the past and was resolved by tweaking the settings for the extended monitor to use the full colour range rather than a limited range. But because the device is direct now it cant be brought up in the nvidia cp or catalyst and therefore can't be forced to use a specific range. Hopefully that changes.

Black smearing was caused by pixels being turned off and taking longer to turn on. Upping the gamma or setting a profile to stop pixels turning off help this.

If you get the error:
RESTART COMPUTER
Sorry, we encountered an error during installation.

1. Open the start menu and run regedit
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Oculus VR, LLC
  3. Right click Oculus VR, LLC, and click Permissions
  4. You should get a dialog about permissions being incorrectly ordered. Click Reorder
  5. Click OK in the other dialog that pops up
  6. Try installing again

https://forums.oculus.com/community...t-in-canonical-form-error-during-oculus-setup

(thanks SyFy: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/reputation.php?do=addreputation&p=3720152)

Doesn't work. I can't find Oculus VR, LLC in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\ anywhere, but I have this same exact problem. HELP ME!!!!!

Doesn't work. I can't find Oculus VR, LLC in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\ anywhere, but I have this same exact problem. HELP ME!!!!!

Check your OculusSetup.log at %LOCALAPPDATA%/Oculus/OculusSetup.log

You can get the detailed error information from it.

I had to create the Oculus install directory - C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus - manually and assign everyone full control permissions to it. Also ensure that you run OculusSetup.exe as Administrator

I was up all night on Friday troubleshooting it.

It's probably horrifying to say, but the easiest way to get this to just plain work is to flatten and rebuild. I mean... start by doing a clean install of Windows, then a clean install of the drivers, then the Oculus software, then Elite Dangerous. Doing it that way gave me a setup that was gloriously simple and clean. I mean, just-click-okay-and-it-all-works clean. (i5-6500, Gigabyte Z170MX Gaming 5, EVGA GTX 970 FTW, Windows 10)

F*ck Yeah!

I did had to reboot after 7) for Elite to find the occulus ( HMD options in Graphics/3D ). Restarting the Oculus service was not enough...

Works great.
The new "Asynchronous Timewarp" thingy is doing wonders for eliminating shoppiness. But is it the cause for the black smearing ?

Holy ! It's working.....thanks to you :) I post this on the off chance someone else is as green as me.

I'm sure I looked there before but I was looking for the HMD to show up in Monitor and not Graphics/3D. It was there and I'm in! I dreamt about being able to do all this stuff back in 1984 the first time around. Amazing stuff!

Thank you!

Works great.

I was thinking the same thing about black smearing due to this ATW. I have a feeling that even if we get some contrast/brightness/color adjustment tool, smearing will still be there becuase of it.

Javert

Volunteer Moderator
Holy ! It's working.....thanks to you :) I post this on the off chance someone else is as green as me.

I'm sure I looked there before but I was looking for the HMD to show up in Monitor and not Graphics/3D. It was there and I'm in! I dreamt about being able to do all this stuff back in 1984 the first time around. Amazing stuff!

Thank you!

This was my rookie issue as well.

In the old setup, because the rift was in extended mode, it appeared as a separate monitor that you had to select in the graphics setup.

With the new drivers the rift only works in direct mode, so all you need to do is select HMD in the 3D option and you are good to go (at least in theory).

It seems to work ok for me.

This is SO FRUSTRATING! After using the DK2 with 0.6 runtime for MONTHS, Elite now forces me to upgrade to 1.3. AND GUESS WHAT? I get the "Sorry, we encountered an error..." screen-of-death! Rift 1.3 software will not install on my machine.

I have tried EVERYTHING posted in any online forum, and no luck. Does anyone have any ideas?

- REGEDIT/permissions: Tried it. No re-order problem. Did not work
- Turn off Virus Protection: Tried. Did not work
- Re-format my HDD and fresh install Win-7: Tried it. Did not work
- Re-format AGAIN my HDD and fresh install Win-10: Tried it. Did not work
- Updated my ASUS Z170 Sabertooth BIOS firmware: Why not? Did not fix it anyway
- Tried running the rift install from my desktop: No luck
- Tried running it with ADMIN privilege: No luck
- Made sure all drivers (inc. GPU) are up to date: No difference!
- Made sure Windows is fully updated: Still will not install
- Tried everything above at least 2-3 times (including the OS re-install!): Still does not work
- Send my DXDIAG and Oculus.log to Oculus for review: They have no idea whats wrong (note: Oculus Support at least is VERY responsive. Just shame they don't know whats wrong!)
- Asked Oculus to explain EXIT-12 and EXIT-8 (the two codes I have seen): They can't tell me what they mean! (now come-on - they wrote the code! They must understand what can trigger this:
[Debug] [4/12/2016 8:33:43 PM] Process C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus\Support\oculus-librarian\OVRLibrarian.exe exited with code 12 (failure). )

Does anyone have any new ideas?

This is SO FRUSTRATING! After using the DK2 with 0.6 runtime for MONTHS, Elite now forces me to upgrade to 1.3. AND GUESS WHAT? I get the "Sorry, we encountered an error..." screen-of-death! Rift 1.3 software will not install on my machine.

I have tried EVERYTHING posted in any online forum, and no luck. Does anyone have any ideas?

- REGEDIT/permissions: Tried it. No re-order problem. Did not work
- Turn off Virus Protection: Tried. Did not work
- Re-format my HDD and fresh install Win-7: Tried it. Did not work
- Re-format AGAIN my HDD and fresh install Win-10: Tried it. Did not work
- Updated my ASUS Z170 Sabertooth BIOS firmware: Why not? Did not fix it anyway
- Tried running the rift install from my desktop: No luck
- Tried running it with ADMIN privilege: No luck
- Made sure all drivers (inc. GPU) are up to date: No difference!
- Made sure Windows is fully updated: Still will not install
- Tried everything above at least 2-3 times (including the OS re-install!): Still does not work
- Send my DXDIAG and Oculus.log to Oculus for review: They have no idea whats wrong (note: Oculus Support at least is VERY responsive. Just shame they don't know whats wrong!)
- Asked Oculus to explain EXIT-12 and EXIT-8 (the two codes I have seen): They can't tell me what they mean! (now come-on - they wrote the code! They must understand what can trigger this:
[Debug] [4/12/2016 8:33:43 PM] Process C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus\Support\oculus-librarian\OVRLibrarian.exe exited with code 12 (failure). )

Does anyone have any new ideas?

Hey Bloom

I have a solutionfor your problem

Just uninstall all visual C++ 2015 ;) reboot and reinstall Oculus ^^

I can't get it to work :( I have 1.3 installed and oculus home (allowing unknown sources), I have the latest nVidia driver installed too.

In ED when I change the options to HMD and apply the settings, my 3 monitors starts making a high pitch noise (as if they are receiving a signal outisde of the range they display) then after about 25 seconds my pc forces a reboot. Happens every time without fail.

All the stuff installed in oculus home runs fine.

I can't get it to work :( I have 1.3 installed and oculus home (allowing unknown sources), I have the latest nVidia driver installed too.

In ED when I change the options to HMD and apply the settings, my 3 monitors starts making a high pitch noise (as if they are receiving a signal outisde of the range they display) then after about 25 seconds my pc forces a reboot. Happens every time without fail.

All the stuff installed in oculus home runs fine.

For now, unplug two monitors and see what happens with just one primary.

Hey Bloom

I have a solutionfor your problem

Just uninstall all visual C++ 2015 ;) reboot and reinstall Oculus ^^

Thanks! But... Just tried that... uninstalled C++, rebooted, tried to reinstall Oculus... failed again with the same useless message!

:(

Any other ideas?

Just a head up in case it wasn't said yet : the best solution against the (seriously *terrible* black smearing) is to use the runtime switcher and play E : D with SteamVR, with default (mid) Gamma. No smearing whatsoever. The head tracking might feel a little bit laggier, but personally I prefer clean graphics and no stuttering world outside my stutter free cockpit.

The easiest solution to remove the black smear would probably be to use a different colour profile to keep the pixels from turning off before sending the views to the Headset, but as we now know FD's support's position is that "the DK2 is not supported by Oculus anymore so we won't support it neither" :/

Just a head up in case it wasn't said yet : the best solution against the (seriously *terrible* black smearing) is to use the runtime switcher and play E : D with SteamVR, with default (mid) Gamma. No smearing whatsoever. The head tracking might feel a little bit laggier, but personally I prefer clean graphics and no stuttering world outside my stutter free cockpit.

The easiest solution to remove the black smear would probably be to use a different colour profile to keep the pixels from turning off before sending the views to the Headset, but as we now know FD's support's position is that "the DK2 is not supported by Oculus anymore so we won't support it neither" :/

Maybe the guys who developed sweetfx/reshade could help?

Hi!

I have googled my problem and I can't see anyone with the same problem and hoping someone on here can help me? I have a set up that has been fine on some games since I got my DK2 in November. I really wanted to test out some of the bigger games so I decided to update. After installing updates on my NVIDA graphics card and restarting I went on to installing the Oculus Setup.exe and when it comes to the connection status is just refreshing on the Headset HDMI and USB and then has an error on the Tracker saying it is plugged in a USB 2.0. I have plugged it into my USB 3.0 on the NVIDA card. Really gutted as want to try out Insidious, Mythos, Asunder etc and any other games anyone can recommend. I am the only person I know with and Oculus and would really appreciate any help or advise from the community? Thanks

Hi!

I have googled my problem and I can't see anyone with the same problem and hoping someone on here can help me? I have a set up that has been fine on some games since I got my DK2 in November. I really wanted to test out some of the bigger games so I decided to update. After installing updates on my NVIDA graphics card and restarting I went on to installing the Oculus Setup.exe and when it comes to the connection status is just refreshing on the Headset HDMI and USB and then has an error on the Tracker saying it is plugged in a USB 2.0. I have plugged it into my USB 3.0 on the NVIDA card. Really gutted as want to try out Insidious, Mythos, Asunder etc and any other games anyone can recommend. I am the only person I know with and Oculus and would really appreciate any help or advise from the community? Thanks

Did you read and follow, to the letter, the directions on page 1, post 1?

Last edited:
Did you read and follow, to the letter, the directions on page 1, post 1?

Hey!

I waited a long time for it to detect the software. The Tracker has a exclamation mark on it saying it is plugged into a USB 2.0. It's weird as I cant find anyone else with the same problem when I googled this. The blue lights on the tracker and the headset are on when its trying to detect the hardware in the wizard set up but it just has the loading circle sign. It's driving me nuts! Does anyone have an idea?

Hey!

I waited a long time for it to detect the software. The Tracker has a exclamation mark on it saying it is plugged into a USB 2.0. It's weird as I cant find anyone else with the same problem when I googled this. The blue lights on the tracker and the headset are on when its trying to detect the hardware in the wizard set up but it just has the loading circle sign. It's driving me nuts! Does anyone have an idea?

Read this: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=240289&p=3718140&viewfull=1#post3718140

take note of this step:

5) Go through the wizard, setting up an account etc. When you get to the bits about setting up the CV1, just skip most of it, including the bit where you have to plug in your rift and get it to detect etc. IGNORE THE WARNINGS ABOUT NOT DETECTED/NOT IN USB 3.0 PORT - just skip

Last edited:
Top Bottom