NO2O! The Definitive List of 1.7/2.2-Compatible HUD Colour/Color Configs (please add yours!)

Deleted member 115407

D
I run a white HUD and the portrait colors look to be real good. Friendlies are blue, neutrals are white, enemies are yellow (flashy yellow when attacking).

<MatrixRed> 0.39, 0.47, 0.21 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 0.08, 0.14, 1 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 1, -0.03, -1 </MatrixBlue>

I dig this scheme. Can't wait to get home and enable it. Thanks.

I would just like to say that I would greatly enjoy a coded HUD color changer, but I think it would be truly cool if we had an engineer who would do it for us that we had to gain reputation for...

I like the general area you're in there. Maybe if all engineers were able to offer the customisation at all times, though that would still restrict non-Horizons owners. I've thought many times about ways in which the option could be implemented. Could be under Graphics in Options as some sliders, or better yet, 1-3 hue/saturation sliders (primary/secondary/tertiary) under the Functions tab on the right panel, so you can actually see what the changes do in realtime.

Here is mine. Green Elite HUD for VR with RED enemies & ok-ish portraits.

Cheers matey [up] Added.

Yet another Gamma-phase HUD config. Needs testing.

Thanks for finding and posting these. I'll do my best to test them all, time permitting. Let me know if you happen to try them in the meantime.

No need to sound like you are about to commit a warcrime... I failed to mention that those settings I used pre-2.1 update.
I should have checked them with the latest update before posting, so my bad. I feel as if I wasted your time.

Haha :D I just appreciate everyone's contributions and was really hoping for a nice green. Glad you like the other one that was posted!

Yes, down with orange hud! They should isolate the character and NPC portraits from the HUD colors and add custom HUD color options to ED! [up]
What's so hard about having simple RGB values for various pieces of the HUD?

There could be so many reasons why! But I imagine it hasn't been done already because it's not a simple case of applying the colour transform before the pictures are added. I'd love to know more about how the whole process works. Any of the UI artists care to shed a little light?

Maybe add a combat viability notification to each colour.

Unless the scheme allows for a very distinguishable colour for hostiles then a lot of them are only really partially useful, for trading and exploring really.

Combat pilots Cant use them if we can't distinguish the bad guy!

Agreed, and doubly so after seeing Hajile's request. I'll have to go through them all and make better notes. Maybe reformat the layout a bit too. All comes down to having the time to do it.

My son is colorblind and he can't see the orange and reds and greens very well.... in fact the default setting for this game is terrible for him. does anyone out there have a setting for the hud that can help with Red/Green colorblindness?

Here's a another reason to have in-game options. As above, I'll do my best to get more detailed notes included, and read up about the various types of colourblindness. There should be screenshots and links to Arkku's online editor preview with each config, if that helps you find something suitable from the list in the meantime.

Thank you for your help. He and will have to look at this together to see what will work. I will post his answers for posterity.

OK, took the time to test Ivan's additional configs. Results:

Yet another Gamma-phase HUD config. Needs testing.

No dice, sadly. Totally black pictures:

AB1Yn7h.jpg

I'm going to be submitting two configs this time, but only because they're within the same color group: Blue.

Again, no good, unfortunately:

rmTRmnK.jpg

Now for number two.

We have a winner here! Upon closer inspection, it's very close to archeolog108's config, but I'll put it up anyway as the Mission Board looks a little darker.

xLsRIAq.jpg

Thank you for your help. He and will have to look at this together to see what will work. I will post his answers for posterity.

No problem. Additional thought: it's possible to perform colour alterations on the entire game screen in realtime if you use a post-processing shader injector like ReShade. There's several included shaders that provide hue shifting, tinting, remapping, etc. In fact, it includes a Daltonize shader, specifically for colourblindness (example). Only downside is you have to mess with config files to get it all working.

Thanks for the support and the submission! It really pains me to do this, but I don't think I can accept this one, as there's some harsh banding issues that clip out a lot of the detail in some conditions. I've added some screenshots so you can see, and if anyone's ok with it, they can still go with it, cos in every other way it's a lovely scheme. Very nice vibrant green that looks great in the darkness of space!

Stylistically, it kind of looks like an old LCD display, and for that reason it could still be acceptable. I'd value opinions from you guys on this one, because I'm torn.

Well one good thing about that one is the people don't look as if they all have two black eyes.

[haha] I hope the rest of Bluesun Corp doesn't hear you saying that!

What's the odds of this? I finally get around to playing for five minutes after all the updates this evening, and the first USS I drop at, three Vultures, and the first one says this...

lQJeiGe.jpg

Needless to say, I was dead before my FSD charged. Poetic justice? [weird]

Well one good thing about that one is the people don't look as if they all have two black eyes.

Maybe they're all extras in that Vince Vaughn/Susan Sarandon film, People Who Look Like They Never Sleep? :D

Last edited:
Sad to see that the green one didn't quite work, was a nice appealing color.

Also..I'm not sure if there is anything else I can pull from the archived post that is usable, as most of them are rather bright in one spectrum or two.

Actually..I'm gonna test that HUD. Going to use that online web tool, see if increasing values by certain amounts may help.

Edit: Tested the upped config, portraits are still black, I'm afraid. I imagine its the amount of high values that are cancelling eachother out.

Last edited:
I'm just holding out until we get a colour editor in the game. I'm kinda used to Blue = Wing, Green = Friendly, Red = KILL IT, and Purple = Your wing is trying to kill it

The Orange overall though isn't brilliant as on many ships especially the Imperial ones when starlight shines in just right you can't read the bloody thing

I want to change the orange theme without changing the colors of things on my radar which as far as I know is impossible, so I guess I'm stuck with orange.

People need to include a damn screenshot of enemies! I need to be able to tell who is who in a CZ!

I included some combat shots on the white HUD (if you like grayscale
[listed at top of OP]). NPC enemies are easy to tell apart (untested with player enemies since I don't PVP).

Great idea. I need a blue profile that still has red coloured enemies though. Red = Dead in my mind and yellow, blue or white enemy colors would result in many security ships getting shot up by mistake, I'm sure.

I'd share my metallic scheme, it seems to work.

The colour scheme is Bronze/copper ish majority with zinc like details (shields pips and such). All the colour codes all still there although changed, friendlies are white zincish, hostiles copper (flashing white when shooting) and neutral bronze. Portraits are almost unchanged. Except anarchists who seem to really like pink now(everyone with bright red paint in there I think). (Although their skin colour is still fine)
<MatrixRed> 1, 0.2, 0 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 1, 0.5, 0.5 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 0, 0.5, 0.5 </MatrixBlue>
B1CA77900ABF12F8027DF0D6F2E110106FEB7D35

121089B542A247BE2491081A9873B4A40E662DDD

This is an old HUD from 2014, I've yet to test it with Engineers, but its a nice change from the Orange to a bit of a brown.

I use this Mocha scheme too, it is really good - strips away the orange neon and gives a great coffee-coloured scheme. Two major factors in it's favour are:

1) It retains icon colours on the sensor display so that hostiles are clearly red, friendlies are green (well, teal) others are "coffee" - whites (missiles, cannisters, etc) are still white and wakes are still grey.

2) The reduction in the neon glow makes letters and numbers on the HUD much sharper and easier on the eyes (no more "fuzzy" destination target info).

BTW - Clarity in engineers is great:

MOah1cZ.jpg

<MatrixRed> 0.7, 0.08, -0.08 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 0, 1, 1 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 0.15, -0.15, 1 </MatrixBlue>

[alien]

P.S. If anyone wants to see the original thread from ages past, it is here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=73419

Last edited:
Lazmarr, your arkku link actually leads to the Grayscale preset by Mordu, you might want to edit it.

Last edited:
(rev 02) update

Big update to the main post today. Took the best part of the evening last night to get everything sorted! Here's what's changed:

• Colour names are now standardised and follow the naming conventions used in CSS for web-safe colours
  • Added colour names chart
  • Each config now has two screenshots: one of the Mission Board, and one of the Combat Training: Wolfpack Tactics training mission (two friendlies, one hostile (targetted))
  • Each config now includes notes about the radar colours of friendlies and hostiles, and additional notes for any other caveats
  • Added totals to each hue section heading
  • Added basic Daltonize colour vision deficiency/colourblindness correction (protanopia/deuteranopia/tritanopia) instructions for ReShade 2.0 (feedback needed!)
  • Added a list of a few reasons why future in-game settings are important (feel free to add your own)
  • Contributors list now links to post / profile of contributors
  • Additional credits added for Uncertain and Questman
  • Swish new header image to mark the update
  • Lazmarr and Euklides Diophant's configs added

Actually..I'm gonna test that HUD. Going to use that online web tool, see if increasing values by certain amounts may help.

Edit: Tested the upped config, portraits are still black, I'm afraid. I imagine its the amount of high values that are cancelling eachother out.

Dang. That's a shame.

I want to change the orange theme without changing the colors of things on my radar which as far as I know is impossible, so I guess I'm stuck with orange.

It's possible to maintain the red/green, but it's not easy to do by any means.

People need to include a damn screenshot of enemies! I need to be able to tell who is who in a CZ!

This should be resolved now :D

I'd share my metallic scheme, it seems to work.

Cheers matey. Added

I use this Mocha scheme too, it is really good - strips away the orange neon and gives a great coffee-coloured scheme....
P.S. If anyone wants to see the original thread from ages past, it is here

Original author has now been credited!

Here's the one that I use and tweaked :) Features blues, reds, purples/pinks and some oranges... by far my favourite creation of the GUI colours I've used and created.

Hoo baby! That's pretty dang sweet. Added!

(I took new screenshots cos it looked like there might be some post-processing bloom on the ones you posted?)

Lazmarr, your arkku link actually leads to the Grayscale preset by Mordu, you might want to edit it.

No problem at all. Terry's got it covered :D

i would rather see these holograms gone, a bit of sunshine or bright reflection and i cant see anything. But if we have to have them then please yes let us choose our colors at least :)

Top Bottom