UAs, Barnacles & other mysteries Thread 7 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Google "earth symbol" and look at the symbol. I'm new to the forums and not sure how to attach a pic. The image looks like earth symbol with two legs and a helmet/shield. And compass type thing pointing at 135 degrees southwest. I may be off base but it is interesting to think of aliens giving us an earth symbol.

You mean this:

earthsymbol.jpg

Interesting suggestion.

I don't personally think it does represent Earth. But it's a good line of thought. The UAs showed knowledge of human culture with their use of morse code. Perhaps this message contains some human symbols.

The problem is as you've pointed out yourself, without an explanation of what you've done, and why (simple enough for us forumites :) ) it's hard to agree on your findings. I could argue my little man thingy that I 'saw' was a direction to shoot all the barnacles. Without an understanding of the reasoning with the data manipulation you have done we have no way of knowing if it's valid or not.

Regardless of the validity of it or if it's right or not, I don't care. I find it interesting regardless. Please, carry on.

Its easy. Do a simple search and look for latest posts. Job done. I tried to explain, but realized - I just don't have the time to do it.

It's a bit problematic. Starting with the assumption that R=2. 1 (unit) or 5 (number of lat/long marks) make more sense to me. Never the less you re-derive Pi = 3 by saying ((2 * 2 * Pi)/4) = 3, it's literally Pi. And then using the 1/2th bit end up with Pi/3 = 1.

I like the idea of trying to find other interpretations for the symbols or coming up with a counting system but this strikes me of jamming to fit and then shifting when it doesn't.

First of all, the forums aren't the be all and end all of the game. What percentage of players regularly use the forums? What percentage of players have access to audio software? FDev have said in the past the forums are only part of the community.

Second of all, it's a game that made great waves talking about being a pilot in the universe. So they create puzzles that require you to leave that universe. If there were in game tools to help solve the puzzles, then that's good, but not the other way around.

Edit:

Thirdy, I've posted in this thread with ideas etc the same as everyone else. Why? It's all I can do. If I had tools in game I may be able to do more. As it is, I need to rely on other players doing something and posting about it before I can add input. Not the most clever of ideas really.

Players are free to be a pilot in the universe however they like , Trading, Exploring, Pirating, yada yada yada...

Whereas the Sciencing is in all likelyhood only pursued by a minority of players but I'm sure there are likely to be many more who are interested in the progress of discoveries without actually getting too heavily involved in the Science. This is all for the good IMO, if there were tools available in game we would already know how to solve the mysteries, form equals function and all that. Instead what we have is a starting point of no knowledge punctuated by occasional inspired breakthroughs, I'm thinking of the discovery of the UA shell, finally proving the UAs were transmitting a stylised morse, drawing wireframe renditions of our ships, hidden images in an audio spectrogram of a honked UP.

Personally I don't have the knowledge or skill set to create external tools to assist in this endeavour but I sure as Raxla enjoy speculating on the meaning of the discoveries that others have brought to light and I think that some of the tools others have created, whether for Science, Mapping, or Profit etc are incredible and hugely enrich my experience of the Elite universe

The barnacle site is not new.
-026.3496°
-156.4044°

The organic outcrop was in the mountains just above the site to the right approx 5km I'd estimate. Unfortunaly whilst uploading the screenshot VR compositor crashed out and bugged out controls. Had to log in again and it was gone.

Agh, correct. I already had that one graphed.

I will add I was just at the site however, so it is persistent.

Last edited:
The barnacle site is not new.
-026.3496°
-156.4044°

The organic outcrop was in the mountains just above the site to the right approx 5km I'd estimate. Unfortunaly whilst uploading the screenshot VR compositor crashed out and bugged out controls. Had to log in again and it was gone.
the srv sonar , the scan is the same of the normal outcrop

Its easy. Do a simple search and look for latest posts. Job done. I tried to explain, but realized - I just don't have the time to do it.

Gypsy, I really like the effort you put into it, that is admirable. Now, the punch out was a really good one as well.

we already had a riddle from FD, we don't need a second riddle - your own riddle-. If you have anything to provide I suggest the best way to do it is being as descriptive as possible. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
It's a bit problematic. Starting with the assumption that R=2. 1 (unit) or 5 (number of lat/long marks) make more sense to me. Never the less you re-derive Pi = 3 by saying ((2 * 2 * Pi)/4) = 3, it's literally Pi. And then using the 1/2th bit end up with Pi/3 = 1.

I like the idea of trying to find other interpretations for the symbols or coming up with a counting system but this strikes me of jamming to fit and then shifting when it doesn't.

I'd like to be first to welcome our colleagues from Indiana.

yeah i re read everything i wrote , re done the calcs and you're right, i overthinked it lol.

I believe the message to be from another reality. It's written in Ankh-Morpork script. It's is obviously talking about pie, not pi. The glyphs around the corners read "Eta Beta Pi" which is written on certain pies in their universe.

yeah i re read everything i wrote , re done the calcs and you're right, i overthinked it lol.

Please don't take my comments as discouraging, I encourage all forms of outside the box attempts to extract information from the glyph. The fastest way to find the *right* solution is knowing when to stop chasing the *wrong* one. The second you have to change or discount facts to fit a theory it's time to start coming up with a new theory. It's ok if you don't know *how* a piece of information relates to a theory, but that's different than changing it or ignoring it if it's clearly counter.

Base 8 number system?

Why not go with an established Octal system rather than confuse everyone? The establishment says that this: http://www.electrical4u.com/images/february16/1457757579.gif
1: - - I
2: - I -
3: - I I
4: I - -
5: I - I
6: I I -
7: I I I
0: - - -
Is how it works. It makes sense if you think about it in terms of ascending numbers, 1, 10, 11, 100, 101, 110, 111

Last edited:
Im sure it was asked before but just incase it wasnt or was missed i have a test. Next up found try scanning in silent running we cant scan ships that use silent running so maybe the up cant send this sound image? im pretty sure if the up cant activate this sound to us during silent running it will disclose the image as being a hud scan of our ships would it not?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom