UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
One last thing about spectograms, they're notoriously difficult to get a clear image out of without fiddling with the input.

To give an example, here's one I made earlier.
Notice the double image. That isn't specifically required, but it helps with ensuring the top most image is clear on the resulting 'gram. So any data below the point of the top image is useless noise.

The resulting 'gram:

As you can see, the bottom is useless noise. On my image, you'll also notice a distinct lack of background noise, as this is the only sound recorded. Ingame, it is very likely that ambient noise from the game was introduced causing some of the distorted echos we see.. It could also just be white noise added by the sound devs to cause us headache.

The point, is that the only image that is clear, is obvious. Anything else should be discarded, as if the devs wanted to give us more info, it would have been shown much clearer that the distortions we see either side of the original image.

Vertical resolution is dreadful, yes - anything below 1khz in log(n) mode is practically unviewable.

However, the horizontal resolution is pretty solid on both top and bottom images - the act of converting the image to sound and back again will not, in itself, produce horizontal ghosting artefacts like those being discussed in the UP image.

At worst, if a very wide windowing function is used on the spectrogram, then it'll be blurry, like left-right motion blur - but details created like this will be ghosted in a continuous sweep because of the lack of timig information in thw frequency peaks. They won't be separated by 'empty' space, though, like some of the details in the image.

In short: the 'ghosting' we're seeing on the time axis in this image were put there deliberately in the source image. The question whether they're significant or just 'affectations'.

My view: anythong deliberately added serves a purpose. Possibly red herrings, yes - but possibly more significant.

I'd like to ask a question.

Why are people assuming the dashes are binary numbers and not morse code letters?

Everyone practically assumes they are numbers.

Why would they use binary of the UA uses morse?

Why are people assuming the dashes are binary numbers and not morse code letters?

URDW, that's why

oops i mean WRUD

also there's not enough symbols for all the morse letters- so either it just randomly happened to not use a letter that requires 4 symbols, or maybe it's not morse

Last edited:
what if the audio hides some high frequency sounds that we cannot hear ?

how to convert it into a low frequency ?

FD's style is not to hide something THAT deep. The only thing 'hidden' about this message was that you had to honk at a probe to find it. Now we have heard it and seen it we have everything we will need to solve it. It's just a matter of applying the information from it to the right thing in the game.

mr Brookes, if you're reading this, I'd like to ask you (just out of curiosity, I'm not asking for any hints), has any of the theories you read been close to the truth, i.e.: decoding the UPs image?

what if the audio hides some high frequency sounds that we cannot hear ?

how to convert it into a low frequency ?

You'd still see them in the spectrogram if they're there.

Edit: oh you mean supersonic sounds above 22khz?

For that to be the case, the game would have to be running at >44-48khz sound output, which it won't on most people's computer, unless the player in question configures it as such - which they won't, because our speaker gear almost universally doesn't reproduce sounds outside normal human hearing.

And of course, we'd have to record either in video or via loopback at a similar higher frequency too, which typically we don't.

Also, the source audio sample would need to be in a similar fornat.

So, basical;\ly, the chances are very slim because by definition almost nobody would have their PC setup correctly to actually see such supersonic frequencies in the spectrogram.

Last edited:
Greetings Commanders!

A few thoughts on the possibility of a hidden object in the Merope system...

I: The implication here is that Merope 2 has been specifically calibrated to help us with this task. The fact that it has an orbital period of 1 day implies that we will need a "Launch" time...

Gypsy out.

Looking at the audio spectrogram featured in numerous posts here the planet like orb appears to have what I took to be at first sight two lines/markers at exactly 7 and 8 o'clock on what could be interpreted as a clock face.

Yours is is the only post I have seen so far mentioning 'time'.

hope this train of thought might help

Ultimately either could be correct. However, numbers are more intuitive and regardless of number system can eventually be broken down and understood quicker than letters. One could ask the reverse, why would they use letters instead of numbers?

It turns out I am not so smart I thought I could be, but maybe this gives someone else an inspiration:
http://i.imgur.com/AfGqBX6.jpg

I have spent the last 3 days doing this.

So far, I've found nothing. My method:

First, a graphic showing how I interpreted elements of the coded circle:

QOFg1Dk.jpg

Armed with calculated lengths for the east and south distances, I converted them to Lat,Lon:

1/2 Circumference of Merope 5c = 4643km / 180 degrees = 25.8 km per degree Lat (and Lon, only at equator).

Thus:
461.61km east = +17.851 degrees
512km south = -19.8453 degrees

So, now we must place these coordinates in relation to where GP (the geographic position of Merope 5) is located. Thanks to others on this thread, and some hunting in-game, I established that Merope 5 is at 90* overhead at Lat (+15.78 to -15.78), Lon -116.7334. Apparently, due to a slightly non-circular orbit, Merope 5 travels in a north-south line overhead during an orbit.

Since my math is easy at the equator, and since Merope 5's path crosses it, I center the GP of Merope 5 at 0,-116.7334.

This results in the EP falling at +19.845,-134.5884. Adding Merope 5's north-south variance to this position the EP falls on a north-south line of coordinates:
Lat (+4.065 to +35.625), Lon -134.5844

And when I go there along that line, and turn my ship to heading 318 (the measured Angle of Azimuth on the coded graphic image), sure enough there is Merope 5, about 50-60 degrees up. The alignment of Merope 5 at that point varies with the planet orbit, but it's clear the setup appears to be in the correct general idea.

I flew that entire line north to south, and never found anything.

And since there appears to be some "unexpected" behavior with the north/south Latitude values (heading toward 0 degrees results in negative Latitudes, rather than positive), I rotated the placement of the EP triangle by 180 degrees. This gave again a north-south EP position range of:

Lat (-4.065 to -35.625), Lon -98.8824

Now, when I turn my ship to heading 138 (opposite of the Azimuth Angle, since I've rotated the position by 180 degrees), there is Merope 5 again at 50-60 degrees up. So my position is diagonally opposite from the original.

Flew the entire north to south line there, upside down at 1 to 2km altitude, and saw nothing.

Granted, there is huge room for error here. Small math errors could mean kilometers of course change. And my use of plane geometry on a spherical surface is probably not ideal.

But I had to get close, just to see if this was actually a Position Circle. This was the best I managed after 3 days. Maybe someone else can take it further!

In short: the 'ghosting' we're seeing on the time axis in this image were put there deliberately in the source image. The question whether they're significant or just 'affectations'.
Yes, the "blooming" effect around pixels (both vertical and horizontal direction) is definitely deliberate. It's not present in the rightmost "echo" for example for the two '((' curves. This leads me to conclude that there is definitely no precision coordinate/location information encoded in the image that people still seem to be searching for by analyzing angles and what not. It literally is just a key for understanding something else.

URDW, that's why

oops i mean WRUD

also there's not enough symbols for all the morse letters- so either it just randomly happened to not use a letter that requires 4 symbols, or maybe it's not morse

Good point. I'm just wondering maybe they were meant to be both.

1U
2R
3W
4D

Fair point.

They do look EXACTLY like the ones from the Voyager probe though (http://i.imgur.com/gTHRx3Q.gif) which I'd take as a hint from FD that they assume we don't understand binary and need some help to twig it.

Personally I think we're reading way too much into this single image. For me its fairly obvious now that the UAs were "recon" things for tracking ships (hence the morse code ship outlines), and the UPs are recon things for planets/stations/something else. There may not be a "meaning" for us to actually work out here at all - could just be part of the fiction and a case of "put something on screen that looks techno" just like all the "hacking scenes" in movies that have a screen with something "that looks techno" but is actually meaningless crap (or perhaps some random HTML from eBay's home page or something...) Who knows what other "scans" we'll get out of other UPs as people find them - perhaps the future ones will have different images and we can start other 10000 page threads for each of those too where everyone and their dog draws some colourful lines over the image to work out how the Egyptians built the pyramids ;-)

Happy to be proven wrong though :)

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom