The Star Citizen Thread V2.0

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Greetings Commanders!

Welcome to the newest instalment of the Star Citizen discussion thread. The old thread (located here) has been closed, as it had revolved around speculation of what the game might be like. Now, that the Arena Commander has been released, it's time for a new thread. This time more focused on the actual gameplay of Star Citizen.

Feel free to post your thoughts here in this thread. Which might be about the gameplay, general game features, graphics, sound, and so on as the game develops.

Needless to say, this thread is not for commentary about what goes on amongst the membership of the RSI forums. Actions over there are within the remit of their Moderation Team, not the moderation of this forum. Any posts appearing here that do as such will be viewed as off topic and subsequently removed.

Ok folks over to you. :)

Small thoughts on Arena Commander...

Decided to pledge and give it (AC) a go. After all, can't really talk about it without trying it, can I?

It does look really, really pretty-the graphical detail is phenomenal. I am running a fairly high end PC and its very slick and smooth indeed with no framerate issues...though the way my pilot walks in 3rd person view it looks as though he's pooped in his spacesuit. Actually, the whole art aesthetic looks very 'Star Wars' as opposed to ED's "2001" art direction. Nothing wrong with either-they both look great. Viva la difference.

Sounds in AC-with the exception of the in flight computer voice-come across as very placeholder so maybe it isn't fair to be too critical of their mediocrity at this early stage.

Flight mechanics with mouse/keyboard or HOTAS both had me feeling nauseous regardless of setting-the first game to do that to me for over twenty years. I was bobbing and weaving like a drunken oarsman. If this does not change overmuch then I will only be able to play in short bursts. I don't get this problem when I play ED. IMHO AC's current flight handling is worse than X Rebirth's sluggishness and most definitely will need more user control over input options. It's hard to say much at the moment about NPC AI as it is a struggle for me at the moment working out whether I am moving or at a standstill. It doesn't feel like too much of a challenge to dispatch enemy ships though. They do seem quite fond of ramming me.

Joystick control does have great potential though. The accumulation of turning speeds and no current option to tweak sensitivity or keybindings (at least none I could find) are sadly hobbling the playability at present. And we don't all have 5 button mice you know!

Past the glossy sheen and to be honest, it's mildly disappointing given the delays. But I'm not ready to write it off just yet. The combat model just didn't have that 'wow' factor I got from ED's Alpha 1 release.

Played some more SC and it is a fact that although I started to get used to the handling like a riding a camel, the fact is the AC is just chasing an arrow game play then moving mouse over enemy and fire until they dead and repeat wave after wave of the same, wave after wave, same, same, same.

Oh well they surely must add some variety at some point later in the weeks to come.

The asteroids are very nice looking.

Boomotang

Banned
Well, here's to hoping this one can stay on topic. I'll repost some of my first impressions here.

So I finally got about half an hour of time with Free Flight last night in both the Hornet and 300i. I expected there to be issues with getting my controllers working from reports about it, and it didn't work right off the bat. I've got a Warthog HOTAS, T16000m, 2 Cougar MFDs, and Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals all plugged in to my system. BUT I was prepared. I have ED to thank for this because I figured out some 3rd party software solutions while ED was having their own issues with multiple controller support. I actually don't have to go as far as I did for ED in gaff taping up my toe pedals into their middle positions.

My setup involves the use of UJR, vJoy, and TARGET. All I need to do before launching SC is run my TARGET profile and launch UJR. I'll probably continue to use it even when full support in SC is implemented because it allows me to merge my toe pedals into one axis. Because I use TARGET I can map all my controller buttons to key presses, and customize the layout any way I want. I didn't have time to get around to that yet though, so I only tested out the flight model and a little bit of pew pew.

I mapped all my controller axes the way I wanted, with rudder controlling roll and my stick's X Axis controlling yaw. This will help with aiming especially given that yaw is equally powerful to pitch. (Plus it matches up with the in-game modelled controls, which are very cool that they're already in by the way. Although the in-game pedals for roll (when your character moves his legs) seem to be inverted on the Hornet.) I have always been a proponent of roll/pitch/limited yaw vs yaw/pitch/roll. But I'll get over it, and I actually don't mind the latter too much either.

I think the flight model is in a great starting place. Unlike some others, I DO 'feel' the ships' 'weight'. I wouldn't want single seat fighters to turn much slower than they do now. I think the cap speed could be increased though. That's what I think is it's main issue. You never feel like you're going very fast until using the afterburner. The top speed should probably be in between where it is now and the afterburner top speed, closer to the top afterburner speed. In the 300i it takes 8-10 seconds to get to a full stop from afterburner. So if they keep the thrusters' power roughly the same but bump up the speed limit, then I think it would be in a very good place.

But that's all subjective. Why don't we talk about it objectively.

"No inertia." "The ships feel weightless." This is what some people are saying. What does that mean? It means that when you release your controls your ship stops reorienting itself instantly. Zero seconds. What do we have? Well, in the 300i it takes three whole seconds to stop rotating after snapping the joystick back to the middle. That's quite a different story than zero seconds.....

This is also what some of you are referring to as 'sluggishness' or 'floaty'. It's not sluggish. It's inertia. I'm sure it will be tweaked, but I'm pretty happy with how powerful the maneuvering thrusters are on the Hornet and 300i. You can make tighter corrections by applying counter moves on your controls. For example, when applying counter moves I can consistently stop my ship rotating (without overcorrecting) in 1 second as opposed to the 3 seconds. This feels right to me for ships that are supposed to be maneuverable.

Even with all IFCS features on, there is still a considerable amount of 'drifting' in hard turns at full throttle. You can clearly see it if you look at your surroundings like asteroids, space stations, and the 'space dust'. If you pull up on your stick for a rough 90˚ turn during full throttle it takes about 5 seconds before your vector corrects itself down your bore sight. During that time you can clearly see via 'space dust' that your ship is traveling 'downwards'.

I do hope that they eventually implement the ability to strafe in the more restrictive IFCS modes if it isn't there yet. I haven't had a chance to play around with them much. But I heard that it wasn't possible.

The X axis seems to have an increased deadzone while the Y axis doesn't. I can work around this with TARGET in the meantime, but I'm sure it will be fixed. The Y axis seems perfect with no noticeable deadzone. Other than the X axis deadzone, I don't have any other joystick issues. I didn't notice the deadzone issue while trying out mouse-controlled-flying.

Now to the dreaded mouse controls. I don't think they will be a balancing issue in the long run and here's why. Once TrackIR/OR is fully implemented we will be able to aim our gimballed weapons with our head movement. Not sure if OR already works that way or not. That should settle down most of the short sighted HOTAS crowd once they realize that. I think there's a lot of balancing to go still with gimballed vs fixed weaponry. I'm pretty sure everything is gimballed at the moment, which will definitely change.

The sound is obviously lacking. But I was expecting that considering what it sounded like during PAX. If I remember right, they only hired their main sound guy a couple of months ago. I have no doubts that it will get up to par given some time. It will help a lot with perception of speed along with some tweaks to the 'space dust'. The maps are a bit small, but it's alpha and there's no need to get worked up about that yet. Their development plans are obviously already addressing that.

The graphics and details are amazing. I love how the engine nozzles contract for higher speeds and expand for slower ones. It's pretty cool to have your character moving all his limbs already to match your inputs. Those animations are choppy, but that's just alpha polish level. I'm running on 'high graphics' with a butter smooth frame rate. i7 six core with a GTX 680, 1920x1200 resolution. Oh, and I love the orchestral score and themes that they are going for.

And to touch upon HUD elements appearing in 3PV. It has already been confirmed that HUD elements, like the target lock graphic, appearing in 3PV are a BUG that they are aware of.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustrie...omment_2673185

It is indeed a bug. Things that are created AFTER the HUD is hidden don't get hidden

There are bugs. Bugs aren't intended features. Get used to it.

Disclaimer: Still downloading - yet to play.

Still, from the looks of it this is much more arcadey than initially thought. Maybe not necessarily a terrible thing, as having vastly different space games will probably be good for all of us. But those who pledged large amounts to receive something different to what they were promised.... I understand the anger/disappointment.

On a side note relating to SC... before looking into it, it was all very confusing. There is Star Citizen, Squadron 42, Arena Commander... it is very overwhelming as a new buyer to get this game. Their vision, while admirable, seems a bit too vast, and that could be a reason why it's taken so long to get to a dogfight module in a small box area. Don't get me wrong - they have implemented some pretty cool core game mechanics, such as the ship destruction, but the order they seem to approach tasks is questionable at best.

Once I've downloaded and played a bit, I will be holding off until we are in a more complete state where I can fly around, kill dudes, dock at station, wonder around, kill dudes in FPS combat, get back in ship etc.

I may be waiting a while at this rate... :eek:

Boomotang

Banned
Played some more SC and it is a fact that although I started to get used to the handling like a riding a camel, the fact is the AC is just chasing an arrow game play then moving mouse over enemy and fire until they dead and repeat wave after wave of the same, wave after wave, same, same, same.

Oh well they surely must add some variety at some point later in the weeks to come.

The asteroids are very nice looking.

It's what you can expect from a 'horde mode'. Multiplayer will change that.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...verall-game-feeling-control-method-etc#latest

with increasing numbers it comes quite visible people dont want the style AC is heading right now.

interesting.

This is easily explained. The game was released during the morning in Europe. So who could play the game yesterday - mostly those who do not work, i.e. young people, who were easily impressed. Then came the first reviews with the first signs of troubles and more mature people started testing the game and... the game did not impress most of them. So now the anxiety can only increase.

"No inertia." "The ships feel weightless." This is what some people are saying. What does that mean? It means that when you release your controls your ship stops reorienting itself instantly. Zero seconds. What do we have? Well, in the 300i it takes three whole seconds to stop rotating after snapping the joystick back to the middle. That's quite a different story than zero seconds.....
That's encouraging and not what I had seen in any of the videos I have watched. I would guess that this would increase as the ship masses increase. My faith is slightly restored. ;)

Bains

Banned
My thoughts on AC

Right now they have successfully removed flight from the equation. If there is an emphasis it has been on graphics.

Whoever they've been listening to are the wrong people, because as far as the flight model goes, (not even sure if AC justifies the use of this term to be honest), it feels like shunting an unwieldy turret from one xyz coordinate to another.

It's a million miles away from what I was hoping for, which was something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjYc6Avu2oY

Someone give me a poke if it starts getting closer. And if anyone has any contacts at RSI, please show them the video. They might learn something.

Last edited:
It's what you can expect from a 'horde mode'. Multiplayer will change that.

I suppose I was comparing it to the varied and interesting missions in the Alpha ED single player missions which has large game play areas and the opportunity to apply tactics.

Its the fact that because of the slow speed and limited game area there is little tactics as it seems you are like in the middle of ships flying all around and you just spin, aim and shoot. Each fight does seem arcade like and samey. I think it is more the mechanics than the fact they are drones...

SC AC brought be here. ED has been on my radar for a little while, but playing AC truly disappointing me. even Evochron Mercenary has far better flight mechanics than what SC has shown.

It's an alpha (I believe they said pre-alpha, officially) so fair enough there will be rough edges, but so far AC is not capturing me at all. I could pick on specific things, but it's the overall impression that counts at this stage and compared with the impression I had of ED with alpha 1.0, AC is sadly wanting. I played with it for about 2 hours, both free-form and the Swarm, and eventually just shut it down and read a book instead. That was much more satisfying.

The ships are pretty, and the background graphics are nice, too. Gameplay didn't engage me at all - I was glad to stop. I'll be interested to see how it progresses after some feedback from the community, but I'm not following it closely. I backed with two starter ships and I've been a subscriber for almost a year. I'm glad I backed the game as it has great promise, but I'm even happier I invested more in ED.

Boomotang

Banned
Yeah I had issues with my warthog, the xml on the forum fixed it, but I really want to customise the controls.

You should try mapping your HOTAS buttons to key presses with TARGET if using TARGET doesn't screw up how the game sees your controllers. Then you can just map any button to the default keyboard mapping.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom