The Star Citizen Thread V2.0

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Bains

Banned
With all respect, currently that is exactly what it feels like. Fly your hornet out after some bad guys, pick a spot, and pew pew 2 win. Fly to another spot, avoiding the beams, set up and turret again.

Don't fly too far though, or you fly through the blue chicken wire and it's an instant game over, man, game over.

Did you notice how slow the top speed is to stop you hitting the chicken wire after every few seconds?

Last edited:
If what you said is true then they could offer up a dual universe - one game mode that is more "arcadey" whilst the other was more for the "hardcore sim" crowd. Best of both worlds. (Almost like the Normal / Ironman mode in ED)

IIRC during the KS they said you have the ability to create your own shards / servers so perhaps this could be a way forward - please more people whilst retaining the gorgeous looking graphics. (They really do look good)

Joystick controls and default mouse controls are in the different leagues I cannot even compare them because mouse controls are vastly superior. Using mouse the angles of fire are literally unlimited (you hit the target as long as you see it), whereas using joystick the targeting controls are somewhat the same as in ED - the target should be directly ahead of you. As I have already said - they are too different.

These are my speculations:
I think that this problem was caused by the amount of money they got from the backers - it is much more than they have ever expected. And it is well known that money spoil people. During the start of their campaign they promised a Space Sim and were supported by people who truly wanted the real Space Sim. But the funding was constantly increasing and the more they have received the more they wanted and in order to keep the money flow coming they started proposing expansions (such as FPS etc.), of course this have raised funding even more. This made the rumours about the game spread wider and wider and the game started receiving support from people who can be impressed with casual gameplay. And now they want to satisfy completely different groups of people by the same game.

Huh. New thread? Sneaky, sneaky.

Alright, reposting from old one, since this is AC feedback:

Just played the AC for the first time..

The upside:
It runs better.

The downsides:
Everything else, tbh.
I don't know what they did with the visuals, but they look really bad. I'm not seeing anything "next-gen" about how the game looks...
The sound is an utter joke. It brings into very sharp contrast just how good the sound engineers at Frontier are.
Flight feel... horrid. Slow, floaty footballs bobbing in a lake would describe it best.
Controls - default mappings are straight-up "***" headscratchers, and there's no custom mappings to be had.

So.. Yeah. I'm very, very disappointed about how bad SC's dogfighting module is, especially considering how many delays it had.

Some chap on the SC forum linked to his YouTube clip of him playing SC without any firing assistance. (I think he was just flying around without selecting a target - not sure though)

If the game had been released more like this I think in general people would have been happier. I like the look and feel of that video.

There is potential for sure with SC - I didn't back it (yet) but know that CR will produce in the end a great game.

Even in that video he is moving in one spot... he is just pitching extremely fast in around in a circle half the time.

I mean yeah he boosts to and from targets but it's exactly like i was saying yesterday/2 day ago.

Press t to target

Press shift to boost

Press caps lock to turn into a turret

Left mouse to shoot with auto aimed guns, cept hes missing half the shots cause the controls are so bad / its way to twitchy - the enemies are buzzing around on the spots too so its really annoying lining up shots.

Last edited:
To be honest, I only noticed the thruster output levels change, I couldn't see a speedo :(

I need a proper read through the manual again and fix joystick bindings before I can say much more. It definitely has potential, it just needs to pull its socks up. Unfortunately, in this build, it doesn't know where it's socks are.

Joystick controls and default mouse controls are in the different leagues I cannot even compare them because mouse controls are vastly superior. Using mouse the angles of fire are literally unlimited (you hit the target as long as you see it), whereas using joystick the targeting controls are somewhat the same as in ED - the target should be directly ahead of you. As I have already said - they are too different.

These are my speculations:
I think that this problem was caused by the amount of money they got from the backers - it is much more than they have ever expected. And it is well known that money spoil people. During the start of their campaign they promised a Space Sim and were supported by people who truly wanted the real Space Sim. But the funding was constantly increasing and the more they have received the more they wanted and in order to keep the money flow coming they started proposing expansions (such as FPS etc.), of course this have raised funding even more. This made the rumours about the game spread wider and wider and the game started receiving support from people who can be impressed with casual gameplay. And now they want to satisfy completely different groups of people by the same game.

And so the dumbing down design decisions, which I suspected. I think you may have a valid point.

SC chose to have, for now at least, an equal yaw/roll/pitch element which does lend itself to turrets in space - however his position in space relative to other fixed objects does change : the pilot is moving about and turretting at the same time.

Unfortunately it is not so pitch/roll/yaw are not equal in SC. Pitch and yaw are about equally fast, however, roll is very slow. So this is opposite to what we have in ED and this makes it impossible to play AC with joystick for me as I need to assign X-axis (which is used to roll in aviation) to yaw.

Reposting my first impressions from the previous thread.

THE GOOD
  • The game looks gorgeous, and it also runs very well in my aging rig with med/low settings.
  • Its the DFM!! I've been waiting so long for it that my face is horribly distorted by a smile all day..XD
  • It works! I don't see any serious bugs or other technical problems in my computer.
  • Holly smokes damage model and effects!! There is nothing more smug than flying through the debris of the ship you just destroyed!
  • Heroic implementation of the 3PV. g-force effects ARE projected and the cycle button does NOT allow view hopping. All my fears of 3pv imbalance in dogfighting were properly destroyed, and I can still admire my beautiful ship and make artistic photos/timelapses/videos.
  • Playing around with the g safe, comstab and coupling IFCS modes is very fun and adds a nice complexity layer to flying your ship. The more I am flying and experimenting with them, the easier I'm able to do some pretty advanced maneuvers and remove the feeling of "floatiness" I had when I first jumped in.

THE BAD
  • I find some parts of the UI distracting, like the 3d reticles and the way ships are obscured by the targeting circles.
  • Flying the ship feels a little floaty, too immediate and jumpy for my taste. I think its partly my problem though,
  • Judging both your absolute and relative speed is not so easy. I think that CIG has to work on that a little.
  • The TDAS radar is beautiful and pretty intuitive to use, but I have to question the decision of using a 3d model for your ship and active target instead of symbols. Sure, being able to view areas of your ship or the enemy that are damaged is good and having 3d holographs is cool.. The resulting large icons though in the radar are too cluttered and busy, especially when there are many targets in the vicinity.
  • The default key bindings make some combinations very difficult to use properly if you are not an octopus. It is evident that they put some work on it (they have been playing around in the offices for a while, and also made a key overlay on the manual), not just assigned random buttons to specific functions. I understand that custom key binding comes later, I have to argue though WHY they chose this particular default setup for launch. Hope it gets a big priority, as I see that nothing is planned for 0.9.

THE UGLY
  • Using the "match speed to target button" can potentially kill a lot of the skill required to dogfight competitively. I remember myself loving the feature in the old WC games, but I don't feel its a good match for SC. Far from it.
  • No strafing in coupled mode. No roll in decoupled mode. No 6df...T_T
  • Sound design leaves a lot to be desired imo. It can only get better, and it should. I don't feel the thrusters, I cannot ascertain my ships behavior from how it sounds and a lot of the SFX need more work.
  • Having a huge arrow telling me where the target is when it goes out of view feels a little gamey. I guess it is part of the CVI, but it makes me feel like cheating, especially since I already have the TDAS and the enemy CVI screen for ascertaining position and flying direction for my target.

Last edited:
And so the dumbing down design decisions, which I suspected. I think you may have a valid point.

And unfortunately it is much easier to impress a casual gamer group and much more difficult those who wait real Space Sim. And now they have a very tough decision to make and it will be very difficult to achieve win-win situation for them.

Boomotang

Banned
I had assumed that the lack of strafing in coupled mode had something to do with programming their IFCS. This has confirmed my suspicions.

- Any chance we can get heat meters by each weapon so we know exactly how much heat instead of just warning levels?

- Can we get IFCS tweaked to allow strafing in coupled mode? (This would have to sacrifice some of our maneuverability to compromise between the strafe and the turn in some situations.)

Thanks,
Serrath

1) Yup, I believe that's the plan
2) I think the only reason we DON'T have this is that given our realistic thruster system we can't just say "and also go up a little" - as you say, we have to figure out what that trade-off should be and get it to work for arbitrary thruster configurations

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/2695977/#Comment_2695977

So... should I keep reminding you that ED still doesn't have the ability to walk around your ships and climb into them in every other post I make just because my opinion is right?

If you download Crysis Editor you can make a square room using their wall models, put on a ceiling and than put some helicopters / downed c130 in the room. ** Just checked, you can even fly the VTOLS around for fun and shoot walls

[Redacted]You've just made the hangar module! Just using crytek models and textures instead of Star Citizen. Except now you have Maximum Armor/speed! [Redacted]

Also, Arena Commander. I don't see walking around in ships or climbing into them. Instead i see a BF3 FPS module with a space backdrop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had for a while now the feeling in SC that there is over modularization with too many teams working on different parts in very separate modules all at the same time may be causing some issues and they are relying too much on off the shelf products.

When you look at limit theory and Elite Dangerous it is very different as these games feel like one whole game not modules bolted together. They do not have lots of teams trying to work on one game. And they have an in house engine not a recently acquired third party one. I think maybe people will start to realize these things matter and it is not just about the amount of cash.

Bains

Banned
I have had for a while now the feeling in SC that there is over modularization with too many teams working on different parts in very separate modules all at the same time may be causing some issues and they are relying too much on off the shelf products.

When you look at limit theory and Elite Dangerous it is very different as these games feel like one whole game not modules bolted together. They do not have lots of teams trying to work on one game. And they have an in house engine not a recently acquired third party one. I think maybe people will start to realize these things matter and it is not just about the amount of cash.

Warbaby showed me this list of other cryengine games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_using_CryEngine

By the looks of things it's not really the go to engine for flight focused games. I may have missed one there, but it's a long list and other than SC I can't see a single one on the list. I'm wondering if this may be why after so much effort they are nowhere near rendering the feeling of flight.

Last edited:

Lestat

Banned
The one thing I felt when I was flying in Star Citizen is trapped. Each time I flown I would see a wall. :(. Now with the x52 I was able to use mini mouse and flight stick at the same time.

You can not config your own controls. :(

But the game is not that bad but Elite is still better.

If you download Crysis Editor you can make a square room using their wall models, put on a ceiling and than put some helicopters / downed c130 in the room. ** Just checked, you can even fly the VTOLS around for fun and shoot walls

OMG! You've just made the hangar module! Just using crytek models and textures instead of Star Citizen. Except now you have Maximum Armor/speed! Amazing

Also, Arcade commander. I don't see walking around in ships or climbing into them. Instead i see a BF3 FPS module with a space backdrop.

Yep, unlike other games with vehicles, non space stuff like arma, gta etc... getting into your ship and flying it isn't seamless, there's a loading screen that lasts as long as quitting and loading another game up.

Which isn't what we saw in the reveal videos.

Might be seamless eventually, or quick enough to seem like it, but at this stage it's nothing impressive .

Early days though, I'm not getting the pitchfork out yet....

Bains

Banned
Yep, unlike other games with vehicles, non space stuff like arma, gta etc... getting into your ship and flying it isn't seamless, there's a loading screen that lasts as long as quitting and loading another game up.

Which isn't what we saw in the reveal videos.

I see what you mean. In the PAX the hanger door opened and he flew out right? In Star Citizen you press launch and there's a loading screen followed by being dumped in space? I guess he had himself a 'custom' hanger setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom