I would rather be destroyed than give stuff to a Cmdr pirate!

Not to encourage destruction of players. If players were loot piñatas then that would give encouragement to those who like PvP to destroy players - and players who don't like PvP would be collateral damage.

If Frontier would like to encourage everyone to play in Open then Frontier will need to look carefully at the reasons why players don't play in Open - and they have already let slip that they are well aware that the majority of players don't get involved in PvP. I don't expect that introducing loot drops when players destroy players achieve the desired effect.

They mostly don't get involved because there are ways to avoid it. PvP gankers is a bogeyman, rarely seen, but widely blamed and avoided. High waking is not hard. Building a ship that can get away is not hard. But people won't go that route because Solo/PG is there, and there they can eek out another 32/64/128t of cargo of profit again and again instead of adding defensive systems or coughing up some cargo now and then.

- - - Updated - - -

No direct rewards though.

Sure there are. They just aren't tangible, much like the other player-created content. Races, events, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

I've always found it asinine that they put in solo, pg and Open, and tell everyone they are perfectly valid ways to play and then we get talk about encouraging people to play in Open.

Open is actually bustling with players. The only people who claim otherwise, or have concerns for its population, clearly don't use it. Odd but true. So based upon that it makes zero sense not to have some cargo drop when a ship explodes, since removing such loot drops has had zero effect on how people play the game anyway whether it comes to which mode people use and what folks shoot at.

You appear to be hanging on to these points by the skin of your teeth.

More like has his teeth sunk into them up to the gums :)

They mostly don't get involved because there are ways to avoid it. PvP gankers is a bogeyman, rarely seen, but widely blamed and avoided. High waking is not hard. Building a ship that can get away is not hard.

If it's so easy, then there's no loss by them not playing in Open. The transport gets away and all that's happened is someone had to divert their gameplay to boost-boost-jump.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
They mostly don't get involved because there are ways to avoid it. PvP gankers is a bogeyman, rarely seen, but widely blamed and avoided. High waking is not hard. Building a ship that can get away is not hard. But people won't go that route because Solo/PG is there, and there they can eek out another 32/64/128t of cargo of profit again and again instead of adding defensive systems or coughing up some cargo now and then.

The bogeyman is never seen.

While some players enjoy the frisson of potential PvP, others don't - that much should be obvious. Frontier chose, from the outset, to make PvP optional - and some players don't like that.

Sure there are. They just aren't tangible, much like the other player-created content. Races, events, etc.

Fair enough - there are no tangible rewards then, i.e. nothing drops out on destruction (although there could be combat bonds or bounties, of course - the same as destroying NPCs).

More like has his teeth sunk into them up to the gums :)

Thanks for agreeing that I have a firm grip on the topic.... ;)

Indeed - proper piracy is entertaining when it'd done right.

The problem is that there were probably only a dozen proper pirates, ever. The rest are just pew-pews.

Someone will undoubtedly say that "You can't define proper piracy! You cant tell me how to play!" and they are of course right. I simply class people into those I enjoyed encountering and would happily encounter again, and those that exist purely to fill my lulzbucket.

To be fair, many probably were put off by the incessant combat logging or menu logging, meaning you have to make yourself scary as possible right off. And that evolved into 'screw it, they are going to log anyway, I'll blow them up so next time maybe they will start off just giving up cargo'.

Let's see most pirates ask for 10T of cargo , in a CG that pays to 1M -20M .... 10T cargo of the most expensive stuff that you can buy is 17k this means that a pirate mostly take you about to 170k.

if you got pirated 5 times this means 850k....Never seen anyone getting pirated 5 times in the same CG...

1 rebuy of a medium ship A rated is 1M... 5 Rebuys is 5M....

Question is... what makes you less profit???

Yeah people who don't giveup for pirates are not traders... they dont think about profit...

Exactly so. Pirates are a business expense. They may take that expense in a few cans of cargo or they may take it in my repair bill if they make the mistake of trying it on in a ship I can take. I'll usually play nice if they will. I just wish there were still more of them. They were fun to meet and to be honest I'd probably buy a round in the station bar for the pirates celebrating their haul. With the toast "Next time I'll get you! Well played." I ALWAYS at least start with negotiation. If the pirate doesn't like where the negotiations are going we might end up exchanging fire, but neither of us has to actually die to conclude even that form of negotiation.

So far every player to interdict me over the course of my career has failed to actually hurt me in any way before I could jump back to supercruise.

An SDC goon in an FdL tried and failed to even drop my Python's shields (I then reached orbital cruise of my destination planet and the goon gave up and went home). A player in an FDS tried to stop my Asp X but didn't realize that typing out his little monologue doesn't stop me from jumping. Frankly I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Because alot of folks never learn how to escape or what do when someone dangerous is about (NPCs are not dangerous unless you have about 20 after you all at once). Instead of getting better, then go to solo or PGs and come here to salt.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's see most pirates ask for 10T of cargo , in a CG that pays to 1M -20M .... 10T cargo of the most expensive stuff that you can buy is 17k this means that a pirate mostly take you about to 170k.

if you got pirated 5 times this means 850k....Never seen anyone getting pirated 5 times in the same CG...

1 rebuy of a medium ship A rated is 1M... 5 Rebuys is 5M....

Question is... what makes you less profit???

Yeah people who don't giveup for pirates are not traders... they dont think about profit...

That's a good point, they are just as much 'psychopaths' as 'griefers'.

To be fair, many probably were put off by the incessant combat logging or menu logging, meaning you have to make yourself scary as possible right off. And that evolved into 'screw it, they are going to log anyway, I'll blow them up so next time maybe they will start off just giving up cargo'.

All that does is perpetuate itself. Trader thinks "Oh a pirate - they are going to blow me up anyway so I'll just not bother dropping anything, and I'll log out legally for lulz so that maybe next time they'll not bother interdicting traders and go after pew-pew's instead."

Because alot of folks never learn how to escape or what do when someone dangerous is about (NPCs are not dangerous unless you have about 20 after you all at once). Instead of getting better, then go to solo or PGs and come here to salt.

Right. And a few pirates dont learn how to spot a trader with enough teeth to fight back either.

It's just so much easier dealing with professionals on both sides.

That's a good point, they are just as much 'psychopaths' as 'griefers'.

Nah, they are just as dumb as the mindless pewpews, just not quite in the same way.

Exactly so. Pirates are a business expense. They may take that expense in a few cans of cargo or they may take it in my repair bill if they make the mistake of trying it on in a ship I can take. I'll usually play nice if they will. I just wish there were still more of them. They were fun to meet and to be honest I'd probably buy a round in the station bar for the pirates celebrating their haul. With the toast "Next time I'll get you! Well played." I ALWAYS at least start with negotiation. If the pirate doesn't like where the negotiations are going we might end up exchanging fire, but neither of us has to actually die to conclude even that form of negotiation.

And I wish there were more player like you, i have found some smooth talking people... , some people that gave cargo right away, some people that fought and lost their thrusters (and end up paying the repair and losing cargo), but i never found a CMDR that would actually give up in the middle of the battle... Negotiate? hum my prices are already low ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Right. And a few pirates dont learn how to spot a trader with enough teeth to fight back either.

Nah, they are just as dumb as the mindless pewpews, just not quite in the same way.

hahaha , I love when a trader actually fight back in a BIG ship and end up a drift listening to demands... That's why I fly a Cobra, underestimate me and find yourself in a BAD position:D

Last edited:
All that does is perpetuate itself. Trader thinks "Oh a pirate - they are going to blow me up anyway so I'll just not bother dropping anything, and I'll log out legally for lulz so that maybe next time they'll not bother interdicting traders and go after pew-pew's instead."

That's why we need more good pirates, to spread that things don't always end this way... I'm making my part 95% of my prey end up alive after the encounter. the 5% were using maxxxxxx builds and couldn't be disabled and died fighting.

- - - Updated - - -

So refusing to make it easy being robbed is being a psycopath? :D

Thieves must love you!

It's cheaper.... from all points... repair bill of an anaconda or 10T of cargo? makes cense to submit to the demands..

So which dumb are you? Just regular?

It's cheaper.... from all points... repair bill of an anaconda or 10T of cargo? makes cense to submit to the demands..

Says the pirate.... I don;t look at it like a profits and loss issue. I look at it like a sovereignty issue. My ship is my castle. If you want what I have you're going to have to fight for it. If it looks like I'm done, I'll take my cargo with me. Hoping the pirate will find no profit in me, and taking a loss on their encounter with me. It's a matter of personal satisfaction.

The one exception: I was pirated by a Adder, while I was in a CMkIV. The most awkward combination of ships I can imagine. He worked crazy hard to get my mining spoils, that when his Hatch Breaker scored some loot, I let him live, and keep it. He earned it.`

That's why we need more good pirates, to spread that things don't always end this way... I'm making my part 95% of my prey end up alive after the encounter. the 5% were using maxxxxxx builds and couldn't be disabled and died fighting.

- - - Updated - - -

Its even cheaper not getting caught (you can emergency drop from supercruise when you see someone lining behind you), or simply wake out if caught which only takes about 10 (low wake)/15(high wake) seconds tops.

And I wish there were more player like you, i have found some smooth talking people... , some people that gave cargo right away, some people that fought and lost their thrusters (and end up paying the repair and losing cargo), but i never found a CMDR that would actually give up in the middle of the battle... Negotiate? hum my prices are already low ;)

- - - Updated - - -

hahaha , I love when a trader actually fight back in a BIG ship and end up a drift listening to demands... That's why I fly a Cobra, underestimate me and find yourself in a BAD position:D

You are welcome to ask.. I'll then make an offer. So long as you don't give up and start shooting, I'll keep talking :) The problem I personally face is that I NEVER see these pirates in open any more. Or I'd spend more time there, because they are FUN.

And the pirate in the Cobra is the one I LEAST meant in my comment. If that's what you're flying you're either good or stupidly overconfident. And it works more in my favor to bet on the former :) The other kind will betray themselves by more than the ship they fly :) Then I either get all charitable and let them get away with it or "fight's on, bro!"

- - - Updated - - -

So which dumb are you? Just regular?

Neither, I hope. A pirate wants some of what I'm carrying, if I dont think I got a decent chance then he can talk and come to a mutually agreeable price. If I think I can take him, I'll take the rebuy or repair bill if I misjudge him and all plays paid. If he just starts shooting then we both are going to lose.

Oh, trust me friend, plenty of players do that. It sounds like you enjoy being blown up, though. Would you like to meet ingame and arrange an experience we'd both find mutually enjoyable?

I note with amusement that you still have not taken up my offer of pure PVP Sidey combat on newly wiped accounts.

Afraid of something? Or are carebears too much for you?

I can cater to your special needs if need be, if your needs are special ;)

As long as you don't combat log, as a pirate I honestly have equal respect for players who comply and people who eat their rebuy when they try to run and things don't go their way. It's your choice at the end of the day.

I note with amusement that you still have not taken up my offer of pure PVP Sidey combat on newly wiped accounts.

Afraid of something? Or are carebears too much for you?

I can cater to your special needs if need be, if your needs are special ;)

No man, I pulled out of the discussion because I got sick. Some kind of stomach bug with pounding headache and vomiting stuff I ate last week.

Not going to start a clean account, but we'll figure out something

Top Bottom