I would rather be destroyed than give stuff to a Cmdr pirate!

So far every player to interdict me over the course of my career has failed to actually hurt me in any way before I could jump back to supercruise.

An SDC goon in an FdL tried and failed to even drop my Python's shields (I then reached orbital cruise of my destination planet and the goon gave up and went home). A player in an FDS tried to stop my Asp X but didn't realize that typing out his little monologue doesn't stop me from jumping. Frankly I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Do I really have to go dredge up that 5,000 gazzilion page threadnought dedicated to campaigning for an Open PvE mode? Wasn't that one just bursting at the seems with PvEers justifying the need for this mode due to all of the terrible episodes of griefing in Mobius and Open? I probably shouldn't have to remind you as you were one of the biggest contributors:)

That thread would just be one example, btw.

While I pull up the 4 or 5 versions of the Solo/PG/Open mega-thread, which were started by posters insisting that Solo/PG should be removed in deference to open. And, try and justify the emotional whirlwind created by a Commander leaving combat before the 'Boom', in the never ending stream of teeth gnashing, and hand wringing over combat logging.

I had a Cmdr Pirate "Clipper" pull me over in my Cutter. I played along and gave him some goodies; even though I could have provided a quick trip to the nearest station. We're friends now and that's kinda nice when your on a long mission and you can chat.

My deal is, if someone is RP'ing a pirate and they're legitimately playing by the code, work with them. Those guys make the game more fun and if we all played... to some degree, like we had true skin in the game, it would be a lot more fun and we'd have a lot more friends.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
I had a Cmdr Pirate "Clipper" pull me over in my Cutter. I played along and gave him some goodies; even though I could have provided a quick trip to the nearest station. We're friends now and that's kinda nice when your on a long mission and you can chat.

My deal is, if someone is RP'ing a pirate and they're legitimately playing by the code, work with them. Those guys make the game more fun and if we all played... to some degree, like we had true skin in the game, it would be a lot more fun and we'd have a lot more friends.

The trouble is that there's no way of knowing, when in a ship that is inferior to the Cutter in your example, whether the interdictor is a pirate or just wants to PK.

"I'm not being agreed with, it must be them, I'm leaving". A perfectly mature decision.

I don't come here expecting to be agreed with. I just have a date with a number of players who are badly in need of a visit with their insurance agents to discuss the fine print on their policies and I can't facilitate said visit going round in circles with you guys any more than I've already done :)

I'm doing the CG at Yum Camcabi (love that name!).

35M rebuy in my awesome Cutter.

I won't give pirates a single tonne of stuff. Ever!

Just saying.

I'm there right now.

just sayin'

Cheers

Well, actual pirates are in an extreme minority in this game, SO, wouldn't worry too much about that. Most will just blow you up, no questions asked.

Way I see it, All you folks saying "not one canister to a pirate!" are actually improving my chances of a positive-ish outcome from a player pirate. If I actually show myself willing to negotiate with them they'll be even more likely to work with me in good faith since folks willing to do so are at so much of a premium :) So go ahead, get yourselves blown up as much as you like. You'll not only help the pirate work off their adrenaline, at the same time you'll make me look more and more like a "player they don't want to kill" because they actually stand a moderately reasonable chance of getting some credits off me and I get to keep most of my profit in the process :)

The trouble is that there's no way of knowing, when in a ship that is inferior to the Cutter in your example, whether the interdictor is a pirate or just wants to PK.

If the player is a psychopath... they're going to start firing. If they're a Power Player, they're going to write something like "you're presence is an offense to ..." and shoot you. and so on.

If the player is truly a pirate... they HAVE to have space to store stuff... I've been in a python and pirated and a clipper and pirated. I ran in the clipper but in the python I played along. I've found playing along is far more enjoyable and once you friend the pirate (whom will be very pleased to have his RP experience completed by you), they won't pirate you again...

Play along, it is a LOT more fun that way. And you will develop friends with players that will help you in the future.

And.. I'm back.. Just when I thought I got out, they pull me back in.

There are well over 30,000 posts just talking about Open vs Solo vs Private Groups.... ;)

Most of these threads are spawned from those complaining about 'griefers', most of the opposite are a response to the endless assault thrown at anyone who dares shoot at another player.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Most of these threads are spawned from those complaining about 'griefers', most of the opposite are a response to the endless assault thrown at anyone who dares shoot at another player.

I would not agree - a lot of them are created by players who contend how awesome it would be if everyone had to play in Open, you know, if Frontier would just remove Solo and Private Groups to suit the OP's play-style.

Last edited:
I expect there's no beneficial reason for destroying players for a very good reason....

In your mind. In everyone who doesn't live in Solo there are plenty.

PP reasons
RP reasons
BGS reasons
personal history reason
or
no reason at all

Just because some dev said something once doesn't mean the are correct, just that they are in charge - and things change all the time.

Last edited:
Way I see it, All you folks saying "not one canister to a pirate!" are actually improving my chances of a positive-ish outcome from a player pirate. If I actually show myself willing to negotiate with them they'll be even more likely to work with me in good faith since folks willing to do so are at so much of a premium :) So go ahead, get yourselves blown up as much as you like. You'll not only help the pirate work off their adrenaline, at the same time you'll make me look more and more like a "player they don't want to kill" because they actually stand a moderately reasonable chance of getting some credits off me and I get to keep most of my profit in the process :)

Let's see most pirates ask for 10T of cargo , in a CG that pays to 1M -20M .... 10T cargo of the most expensive stuff that you can buy is 17k this means that a pirate mostly take you about to 170k.

if you got pirated 5 times this means 850k....Never seen anyone getting pirated 5 times in the same CG...

1 rebuy of a medium ship A rated is 1M... 5 Rebuys is 5M....

Question is... what makes you less profit???

Yeah people who don't giveup for pirates are not traders... they dont think about profit...

I would not agree - a lot of them are created by players who contend how awesome it would be if everyone had to play in Open, you know, if Frontier would just remove Solo and Private Groups to the OP's play-style.

Given you have connections to the moderation team would it be possible to export the whole forum as a text file, like we can do with our PMs, so we can aggregate the threads and do some analysis on the data and posts? All the posts on the forum are generally publically available anyways so its not like it would be a name and shame etc..

Then perhaps we can put this matter to rest. The truth will out. ;)

It strikes me as a pointless excercise. Having generally logged into the forum every day in the last four years I'm pretty confident my point is accurate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom