HOTAS Support

I've been playing Elite using an X52 during my lunchtimes at work (don't have a PC at home). If Frontier/Saitek/Sony can somehow provide support for it on PS4 then I'll be made up! Will be taking it home to play when I have more time in the evenings/on weekends. :)

Deleted member 110222

D
Just bear in mind... HOTAS does not equal skill boost.

I've stopped using my X52 due to rubbish Saitek QA, and I'm now using a Speedlink Quinox, a similar controller to the Xbox Elite controller.

I'm way better with a gamepad. My reaction is quicker, my fixed weapon ability is better... HOTAS is not all that it's said to be.

Anyone who has been using console gamepad for a long time like I have, and I (twenty years), will likely be more competitive with a pad.*

*My personal opinion.

Just bear in mind... HOTAS does not equal skill boost.

I've stopped using my X52 due to rubbish Saitek QA, and I'm now using a Speedlink Quinox, a similar controller to the Xbox Elite controller.

I'm way better with a gamepad. My reaction is quicker, my fixed weapon ability is better... HOTAS is not all that it's said to be.

Anyone who has been using console gamepad for a long time like I have, and I (twenty years), will likely be more competitive with a pad.*

*My personal opinion.

Thanks for the tip, I'm keen to try with hotas if something is available when the game is released but I might try it with the controller for a bit first now! That might save a bit of cash too :)

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Thanks for the tip, I'm keen to try with hotas if something is available when the game is released but I might try it with the controller for a bit first now! That might save a bit of cash too :)

Again same here, I don't think I can really justify a HOTAS for one or two games. Lets hope the dualshock controls are good! FDev claim they have done some work with the PS4 controller.

Last edited:
HOTAS may be on the cards though. The other day in the CQC livestream there was a little hint when Ed asked "what do you have there?" The dev with him replied "it's a thrustmaster hotas-4, compatible with PS4." Then Ed kind of changed the subject. This could be a clue that frontier are at least working on HOTAS compatibility.

But as always no promises, no timelines.

HOTAS may be on the cards though. The other day in the CQC livestream there was a little hint when Ed asked "what do you have there?" The dev with him replied "it's a thrustmaster hotas-4, compatible with PS4." Then Ed kind of changed the subject. This could be a clue that frontier are at least working on HOTAS compatibility.

But as always no promises, no timelines.
Is this still online?

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I also hope there's keyboard support. Mostly for hot keys but it'll make using the chat window easier too.

I've got a cheap Bluetooth keyboard for use with typing in chat on the PS4 which I hope to use for the same purpose on ED.

It would be interesting if they support keymapping for controls. I assume chat will work with any keyboard on the PS4 unless FDev purposely disable keyboard support in the game? That would seem quite odd and I don't know what Sony dictates when it comes to such things.

Last edited:
Would that have a greater benefit if you're playing on flight stick or ps4 controller?

I'd say it's equally beneficial. Mapping a button to cargo scoop or galaxy map (or whatever) will help anyone. Also I can't imagine typing a message in the chat without a keyboard. It's about having more buttons and not having to scroll through menus to do the same job. Just need a Bluetooth keyboard on your coffee table.

I'd say it's equally beneficial. Mapping a button to cargo scoop or galaxy map (or whatever) will help anyone. Also I can't imagine typing a message in the chat without a keyboard. It's about having more buttons and not having to scroll through menus to do the same job. Just need a Bluetooth keyboard on your coffee table.

As for now on XboxOne, we can use any USB keyboard to directly chat in the comms window, but, we can't use the keyboard for key bindings.

Frontier has no part in this, its purely on Microsoft to not to allow Frontier to gain access.

If the PS4 does support keyboard for keybindings now with some game, i dont see any reason why this will not be in Elite Dangerous.

Regarding HOTAS vs Controller, the Controller is the second best thing after the HOTAS, and HOTAS will only mostly bring more immersion, and only a few game play benefits.

We would benefit more if we were able to use keyboard keybindings.

Top Bottom