HOTAS Support

Thanks. That's another $70 bucks down the drain - how do I hide it from my wife so she doesn't know I spent that much cash on a controller? LOL

Buy her something equally as expensive.

Or, [puts trump wig on] just don't undo the chains so she can get out of the basement and see it...

[I might leave this wig on you know, I look soooo good]

That Thrustmaster looks pretty cheap to be honest. I need to be able tp map my Saitek X52 Pro, hard mounted to my rig! Please support HOTAS for PS4! I beg you.

http://c4.staticflickr.com/1/428/30872494243_4c575a030a_b.jpg
http://c2.staticflickr.com/1/460/30872513233_17780f4378_b.jpg

Unfortunately it is not Frontier's call. Sony licenses the controllers for their products and the only one they have approved is the Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS 4...Maybe give Sony PlayStation forum a post.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Unfortunately it is not Frontier's call. Sony licenses the controllers for their products and the only one they have approved is the Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS 4...Maybe give Sony PlayStation forum a post.

The chances of the X52 being approved are nil to be honest unless Saitek produce one with PS legends and get it approved via Sony (without the correct markings on the buttons as per ALL PS controllers its not got a hope in hell of being approved). Its not going to happen guys. Please don't get your hopes up. :(

You would have more luck approaching Saitek and asking them to produce a PS licenced product. It won't be the current stick though.

Could Saitek "unofficially" support PS4? (I assume its USB?) Maybe, but you'd be best off approaching Saitek again, Sony won't be doing anything.

Last edited:
The chances of the X52 being approved are nil to be honest unless Saitek produce one with PS legends and get it approved via Sony (without the correct markings on the buttons as per ALL PS controllers its not got a hope in hell of being approved). Its not going to happen guys. Please don't get your hopes up. :(

You would have more luck approaching Saitek and asking them to produce a PS licenced product. It won't be the current stick though.

Could Saitek "unofficially" support PS4? (I assume its USB?) Maybe, but you'd be best off approaching Saitek again, Sony won't be doing anything.

Perhaps, although some PS4 users in WarThunder have found workarounds for other "unofficial" flight sticks by changing the control setup in that game. So its not impossible but still highly unlikely until Sony approves hardware like you said or FDev lets console players customize their key bindings

This discussion has been going on over at the WarThunder forums for some time. The upshot is:

Some people have managed to get other HOTAS to work on PS4 but they may not work 100%. So while it may not be an officially supported HOTAS, you may be able to make an alternative one function, though it might require some additional effort and you may lose some functionality - your call.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Come on guys, convince me I need this Thrustmaster and that a DS4 just will not cut it at Elite. (muh immershon arguments don't count as that's not an issue for me).

Purely from a controller vs controller point of view.

Last edited:
CMDR you are cleared for take off, I repeat you are cleared for take off.

Love it when you get this kind of official sanction that you're good to play video games...

I was more amazed she remembered and ordered the right one lol 😁

To be fair she's seen how quiet and out of the way elite on xbox has kept me so it's money well spent from her point of view! ;)

Didn't they model the in game stick on the Thrustmaster HOTAS stick?

Allready made a lot of progress in building a "Poor Man´s Cockpit" based on HOTAS and the Playseat Challenge PS4 Edition:

Playseat.png

These seats are meant for raching but it is so comfy I wanted it to use for better immersion in playing Elite.
Therefore some Modifications had been required to attach the Hotas to the Seat. Good news is, I figured out a position that is perfect AND does not require you to lengthen the cable that connects both halfs of the HOTAS 4!

There are NO supports on the market that realy do the job well, I did modify two headrest holders to serve for testing the positions but these are not stiff enough for serious dogfight.

IMG_3596[1].jpg

None the less this is a lot of fun since the seat adapts well with the T.Flight as well as the TFRP!!!

So I went on designing my own support.

Hotas Mount.JPG

This will be clipped to the Seat Frame on left and right. THe round center piece will allow to adjust the angle of Stick and Throttle in respect to your seating position. Not shown are two adapters that will mirror the docking scheme of the Hotas 4 wen fixed as one piece. These adapters also allow to adjust the position of the Hotas back and fourth in respect to the seat.

I will do some final checks tonight and order Rapids.... so if there is interest in such a "Poor Man´s Cockpit" I can:

A) keep all of you updatet
B) set up a kickstarter later on if enough are looking for it,

By the way, the Seat is not to expensive ( ~200€ street ) and there also is a black ( none PS4) Edition ( which also is somewhat cheaper )

Let me know what you are thinking Commanders!!

There are NO supports on the market that realy do the job well, I did modify two headrest holders to serve for testing the positions but these are not stiff enough for serious dogfight.

that is my problem with HOTAS in a nutshell. I don't yet own a HOTAS set-up but how good are they for the couch player? I can understand the PC user benefitting from a HOTAS setup as the PC is invariably desk bound, but Xbox and PS4 target those sat in the living room (on a couch).

it seems that it is already a hot Elite topic https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/33851-HOTAS-Couch

that is my problem with HOTAS in a nutshell. I don't yet own a HOTAS set-up but how good are they for the couch player? I can understand the PC user benefitting from a HOTAS setup as the PC is invariably desk bound, but Xbox and PS4 target those sat in the living room (on a couch).

it seems that it is already a hot Elite topic https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/33851-HOTAS-Couch

I have played warthunder with my HOTAS on the PS4 from the couch. I tend to secure the two pieces together and place the setup in my lap on the couch. I have also separated them and just sat on the cord connecting them. Both ways work, but I rather prefer them joined and in my lap. Of course, best would probably secured to the arms of a chair, but that's not in my budget.

I have heard it said that official PS peripherals have a bespoke licenced chip inside them that communicates with the console. Could this be what causes unofficial controllers not to work properly (I'm not techy enough to know)?

Top Bottom