#support3rdparty - Why we temporarily shut down our sites.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Stop playing Elite Dangerous

Elite Dangerous is ABSOLUTELY UNPLAYABLE WITHOUT these tools!

(Except for players travelling 21.000 LY just to check a market price...)

It is very sad to see that developers who are unable to make ingame tools to play their own games. They are not interested in working with community volunteers who do the work for them. Good luck. Frontier wake up. Thanks :S

Pros:
Opening API and supporting third party apps makes the game fully customizable by its players.
Takes some slight burden off of run team.
Requires less coding by developers.
Assists players of the game.

Cons:
Being beholden to third party developers who may or may not being making money off of your IP.(See Curse gaming sites.)
No control over how the data is used.(risk)
Possible danger of code/access abuse/misuse.(risk)
Creation of tools already being developed by IP owners.
Dealing with issues caused by the interference of third party developers.(risk)
Providing free development/training time for non affiliated third party developers.(risk, Monetary)
Halt the development cycle in order to appease non Developer entities.
Remove the need to develop in game tools that were once planed in development process.(risk)
Being leveraged into breaking development cycle to make customers happy due to a third party development team.

If I were FDEV. I would honestly just walk away. They should be happy they even have access at all. This is not something all games do, nor is it required of them to do so. Asking for more when what they were given was free in the first place is a never ending spiral.

Why should a development team pay a third party unaffiliated development team to create a tool for their customer base? Before you say no money is being paid by FDEV to the freelance developers, remember that any time they spend on providing more tools and working with said developers comes out of their pockets. They have to pay salary and spend time and or resources to maintain an easy to use secure service to non employees. All risk and responsibility falls on the developer and not the third party groups.

Honestly, if they want to close out their sites out of spite, then that is fine. I say go for it. Someone else will make a site to do the same thing. You are trying to hold a group of super nerds and game developers hostage to meet your demands. Any one of a thousand players could get a new site up and running in a matter of weeks.

Be grateful that you have the opportunity to make the game you play better, or go elsewhere. This is just sad.

Last edited:

Jex =TE=

Banned
Just because you say it doesn't make it true.

The sites are a convenience. Yes, some of them are very helpful, but they're not vital. And frankly, if you've based your entire ability to play the game on the existence of a 3rd prty website that could vanish at any moment through the whims of its creator, then you're a fool.

Not at all and rather harsh. tens of thousands of players use the site every day. I'll go ahead and say if the site closes, it will afffect player numbers. By how we can argue but it WILL affect player numbers.

It could be just as easily argued that it's the fool who is NOT using the site too but why you feel the need to make personal attacks is beyond me. That's for people who are losing an argument who do that.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
You're complaining at people who are providing a service for free, and using their spare time for free to try and keep up with FDev's undocumented changes. Them saying "okay FDev, if you want us to continue to provide this FREE SERVICE then throw us a bone" should not be this massive issue...and if they decide to say "FDev can't even do that for us, we're going to stop providing our free time for free dev work" and take down their sites unannounced for good then everyone's in the exact same position they are today. They're at the end of their ropes and I can't blame them.

If someone says "well, I don't see the problem" and wants to provide the same service using FDev's current undocumented toolset then that's for that new someone to deal with. Are you volunteering?

I wasn't complaining that at all. I was highlighting the errors in Genar's post. It has been said many times, though most don't listen, that FD have always been clear that a fully open API will not happen and supporting an API of any sort is right down the list of priorities (this has been the stance since before the game was released). Every developer who has made any kind of tool got into it fully knowing that.

Is it frustrating for them that FD's stance hasn't changed? Probably.

Does it justify them making a post which says "If the lack of this tool has reduced your ability to play or your enjoyment of Elite: Dangerous then please let Frontier know in this thread or the Reddit post."? No

But I understand that you want FD to devote resources to this rather than the game.

Last edited:
I support #support3rdparty, as a webdev myself I can understand the time and effort that goes in to these projects. I can perfectly understand when a ToolDev ask for information, only to get a political vague answer or none at all can be annoying as hell.

As I see it Frontier has choose to concentrate efforts on the big picture, thereby indirectly precipitating the games reliance on 3rd party tool that have become a cornerstone for many players to make efficient progress.
Lets hoop that Frontier understand this, and maybe one day we will see officially approved 3rd party ingame mod support for all platforms "yes I know, but can dream" ;)

I pinned a message on this topic in the feed on "Elite Collective" nr2 a Xbox Club :)

Hi everyone. Just letting you know we've seen the thread. Please be patient while we bring this to the attention of the developers.

Just quickly want to mention that we always try to communicate as openly and effectively with our community as possible, and we appreciate all the hard work that goes in to the maintenance of these useful sites and tools.

I have also sent a PM to the OP, too :)

Thanks for your patience everyone!

you always try, but in OP i see something different

I support these 3rd party developers.
I use EDDB and EDMC all the time.
I really wish this functionality was in the game but it isn't and I hope Fdev are listening and will do something about this (other than abandoning or banning the 3rd party devs).

2M+ Players >
82K forum users >
503 people in this thread >
??% agree

Even with a very generous percentage in favour, it doesn't look good.

TBF. I love the 3rd party tools, I think they are great. But stomping your feet like petulant children is just going to burn bridges. :(

You should bring back polls to find out [yesnod]

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom