News GalNet - postponing Community Submissions

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to let you know that we’re postponing community GalNet submissions for the timebeing.

We’ll be looking at reviewing the process in future, but for now we will no longer be accepting submissions.

I'll let you know when we have more opportunities for sharing your narrative and experiences via GalNet.

Many thanks,

Ed

EDIT: We will eventually be bringing this back. Ultimately the amount of time that it took to review submissions, and give feedback, didn't quite match up to the number of articles that we were able to publish. We didn't want it to continue being a frustrating experience for those submitting storylines. We don't have a date for when it will be coming back, but we will be bringing it back in the future. We think players being able to tell their story is important, and we love how many of you do this in lots of different ways across other platforms. We'll review the process and let you know when we've come up with a more efficient and effective way of making these work. Sorry if the first post wasn't clear enough!

Last edited:
Does this cover just GalNet, or all commander submitted content (including that intended for local systems only)?

Last edited:
We're really disappointed, but not exactly surprised. It's always been difficult to get 150 words of text published in the Wasteland of local boards, but at least it was theoretically possible. Your original/public submission process was better... it allowed for rep'ing quality stories, and constructive feedback from already-published "community figures". Pepperidge Farm remembers...

Deleted member 38366

D
Interesting development, and a rather unfitting one considering GALnet's severe lack of News and apparent inability to fulfill its envisioned purpose.

We went from a vivid era of Player submissions over a dark era of never-published Player submissions (even on local level)... and now into near-complete silence it seems.
"The Silent Galaxy" has already given off a rather bizarre picture when it comes to GALnet, as it feels dead & empty despite this Forum alone being filled to the brink with Reports strongly proving otherwise.

Oh well, one less reason to open it ~1x per week and close it again within Seconds; or scrolling further down in Local News Boards when docked for that matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to let you know that we’re postponing community GalNet submissions for the timebeing.

We’ll be looking at reviewing the process in future, but for now we will no longer be accepting submissions.

I'll let you know when we have more opportunities for sharing your narrative and experiences via GalNet.

Many thanks,

Ed

:(

Was it something I said? Or is this one of those, "It's not you, it's me" things? Or is this one of those, "It's not you, it's me (but no, really, it's you)" things? Have you been getting complaints? I've been making efforts not to be inflammatory or cause problems for you guys...

This is a very disappointing piece of news (for me, at least) and I really hope to hear about these new opportunities to contribute to GalNet.

Guess I'll go update my thread with the articles that have been published since that post, and hang the "we're closed" sign. I don't have much use for the forums after that. :'(

Anyway, my email is elite.corrigendum@gmail.com. Always happy to help create content when/if you open this avenue for contribution back up to the community.

EDIT:
Never mind. That thread is locked, and cannot be edited. :(

Last edited:
This is very sad, Ed.
Elite Dangerous as it is now does not need less player driven content but more of it. Roleplaying and group-interaction heavily depends on recognition and appearance in the game. Not only in forum-threads or within closed player-group discord servers. It just cannot be that the only way to get playergroup-actions noticed by Frontier is by "famous-streamer-noisemaking", "having-a-buddy-within-the-staff" or via "the biggest/most-important-forum-thread-ever" (yes, I am exaggerating). It is already hard to keep groups working together if there is no real way to "pave your way".
I really hope that the revision you are mentioning is intended to improve this issue.

To whoever in Frontier invested the time and energy into coordinating, validating, and editing the GalNets for the community - thank you for everything. The combined efforts of your actions and the community's imagination helped paint a picture that inspired adventures, mysteries, and conflict alike. A lot of where we are, and who we are, as a community owes itself to the story brought forth by both our sides.

So please, level with us on what went wrong. Is it an issue of manpower compared to quantity, like the recent "player factions can not be changed" topic? Is it that our submissions are too frequent and the quality disappointingly low? Or perhaps even worse, has the community contributed so little lately as to consider the feature a waste of idle manpower?

Your willingness to work with us in the first place has earned my appreciation and love; transparency, on a subject so dear to many of us, would never be forgotten.

Last edited:
Seems to me this is just a confirmation of the de facto situation since about 6-9 months. Meanwhile, you've missed literally epic player, player group and community events and ongoing conflicts. Federation and Alliance player groups have been batting for 2 months now in the Ross 128 area.

I guess your Thargoid story line takes precedence over everything.

To whoever in Frontier invested the time and energy into coordinating, validating, and editing the GalNets for the community - thank you for everything. The combined efforts of your actions and the community's imagination helped paint a picture that inspired adventures, mysteries, and conflict alike. A lot of where we are, and who we are, as a community owes itself to the story brought forth by both our sides.

So please, level with us on what went wrong. Is it an issue of manpower compared to quantity, like the recent "player factions can not be changed" topic? Is it that our submissions are too frequent and the quality disappointingly low? Or perhaps even worse, has the community contributed so little lately as to consider the feature a waste of idle manpower?

Your willingness to work with us in the first place has earned my appreciation and love; transparency, on a subject so dear to many of us, would never be forgotten.

While I was a bit petulant in my previous post, I wish to echo the sentiment here. Ian, Michael, and all the others that made GalNet submissions possible made this game something special for me. It gave me a tangible way to create content for something I've come to care about.

Thank you for all the good times.

And I am still very sorry for the trouble I have caused along the way for those people who made the process possible.

:(

Was it something I said? Or is this one of those, "It's not you, it's me" things? Or is this one of those, "It's not you, it's me (but no, really, it's you)" things? Have you been getting complaints? I've been making efforts not to be inflammatory or cause problems for you guys...

This is a very disappointing piece of news (for me, at least) and I really hope to hear about these new opportunities to contribute to GalNet.

Guess I'll go update my thread with the articles that have been published since that post, and hang the "we're closed" sign. I don't have much use for the forums after that. :'(

Anyway, my email is elite.corrigendum@gmail.com. Always happy to help create content when/if you open this avenue for contribution back up to the community.

EDIT:
Never mind. That thread is locked, and cannot be edited. :(

What a wonderful thread. I was just about to comment when I saw it had been locked. Reading some of those articles (and I wrote a few myself too for the Buckyballers and Fuel Rats) makes me doubly sad about this news. Those stories were terrific and brought some desperately needed humanity to what can otherwise feel like a pretty soulless galaxy.

Does this mean player CG submissions are unaffected?

EDIT: Ah:

Greetings Rubbernuke, due to expansive and overflowing support for community goals, and the associated submissions that have followed... we are temporarily closing the CG submission forum while the team can work on the backlog of pending submissions. Thank you for understanding.

Last edited:
Top Bottom