Ships Diamondback Explorer Owners Club

Has the Diamondback Explorer recently been buffed in jump range?

Why yes, yes it has:

IzUQxYS.jpg

:D

Back in my DBE and slowly engineering it when I get the mats for them etc. Having fun now that i'm 100% FA-off it took some getting used to it's flight model again but now that I am I like it just as much as I did before.

https://eddp.co/u/3v7zb5H3

aPfcnV4.jpg

i dont think my dbe approves me having fun in srv; guess took me too long and it decided to end this quite ..melodramatic lol
[video=youtube;A9-3qqQfBo8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9-3qqQfBo8[/video]

I loved DBE (DBX) right from the start when it was introduced, flew to Sag A and back with it. Now made another trip to formidine rift and beyond, came back yesterday. Very cool ship and even more after the buff.

Here is my Diamondback, just arrived from the last trip:
http://imgur.com/myzqzNb
myzqzNb

Last edited:
Hello DBE cmdrs. 2 days 5hrs played here and I just finished building my exploration variant, now itching to head out.
I rushed back to base with the price of the fuel scoop and put it all together, the range is 36 ly without any engineering, which is beyond me at this stage. These parts are expensive, my rebuy just quadrupled beyond my credit so I have to grind some more missions before I can try it.
This is my layout, any suggestions welcome.
1 heatsink
1c light alloy bulkhead
4c power plant ,1.6mw unused (4d leaves only .3 mw free)
4d thrusters
5a fsd
3d life support (is this any use?)
4d power dist.
3d sensors
5c fuel tank
4a scoop
4a afm
3d shield gen.
2g hangar + srv
1c detailed surface scanner
1c advanced discovery scanner.
Planetary approach suite
How do I replace heatsinks? Does the AFM need resources?
Any advice welcome o7

Last edited:
Hello DBE cmdrs. 2 days 5hrs played here and I just finished building my exploration variant, now itching to head out.
I rushed back to base with the price of the fuel scoop and put it all together, the range is 36 ly without any engineering, which is beyond me at this stage. These parts are expensive, my rebuy just quadrupled beyond my credit so I have to grind some more missions.
This is my layout , any suggestions welcome.
1 heatsink
1c light alloy bulkhead
4c power plant ,1.6mw unused (4d leaves only .3 mw free)
4d thrusters
5a fsd
3d life support (is this any use?)
4d power dist.
3d sensors
5c fuel tank
4a scoop
4a afm
3d shield gen.
2g hangar + srv
1c detailed surface scanner
1c advanced discovery scanner.
Planetary approach suite
How do I replace heatsinks? Does the AFM need resources?
Any advice welcome o7

Here is my basic exploration fit. Use this site to plan your fits, its very very useful!

https://eddp.co/u/Pae22LoQ

You'll see the difference in my setup.
Downsize the powerplant (you can turn modules off to conserve power usage)

Heatsinks can't be reloaded yet. When the next patch/update comes they will be.
AFMU can be recharged via synthesis with mats you can gather in your SRV.

As for engineers. They aren't that hard to get into tbh. Look up Felicity Farseer as she has pretty much all you need to get started using them really and a boon for explorers!

Last edited:
Interesting, lots of work there. Are engineers expensive? Why carry two SRV's?

Engineers are expensive only in time to find the right materials for the higher grade modification.

As for two SRV's.....I like to race mine around a fair bit so I have been known to pop one or two! And on a long dist trip I like having spares.

I fell in love with this ship as my primary ship to use for exploration (and not failing completely in combat) as soon as I layed my eyes on her. Unfortunately I haven't found any shipyard selling this raw diamond ever since I acquired the funds to do so :(.

Already failed (time out) 2 combat missions due that, cause I was a little too eager to test with the soon expected arrival of my new toy. Pity.

Last edited:
Hey there fellow CMDRs! I fell in love with this ships looks and had to have it. I floated around in my sidewinder for a bit until I had saved enough to get one. Now I am on the long haul to Sag A* for the first time.

Greetings Commanders! I'm new to the forums and relatively new to Elite as well. The Diamondback Explorer was actually the ship that convinced me to get started with the game. I love exploring and my first few jaunts out of the bubble paid off the ship pretty easily. Now I'm on my first long haul, all the way to Sag A*. I probably should have paid more attention to my outfitting before I left, because I am about 8kLy from the bubble and stuck with an empty business class cabin. Oops. :eek:

I love the way the DBX looks too. The view from the cockpit is excellent as well. It is one of my core ships in the game, and my prime exploration ship.

It doesn't seem to get the attention that some other ships do but it's a very capable beast.

(by the way, I prefer 'DBX' to 'DBE', or is that another debate?)

I'm taking my DBX on the Dead End's Expedition, a 340,000 ly circumnavigation around the galaxy. We left today.

zIqNqQs.jpg

Cbhi1KG.jpg

The fleet was diverse but there was only one other DBX there for the launch today. Such an underappreciated ship! So many Anacondas....[downcast]

To be frank, I was never especially interested in the DBX, since I have an Asp Explorer that I find a brilliant ship for long range exploration. Just skimming over stars while d-scanning the system is enough to refuel it and it's amazing how easy it is to quickly travel vast distances that way.

But now there are Thargoids out there and I am thinking the DBX might be an excellent ship to do some research on them. Equipped with A-rated core components (might come in handy, you never know), it stil has a very nice jump range and it can land pretty much everywhere. Class 4 fuel scoop and planetary vehicle hangar, 3A shields, corrosion resistant cargo bay, discovery, surface and xeno scanners, that's my idea of a xeno research vessel.

It's not my intention to fight Thargoids, but to understand more about them, so the best weapon might be a brave sir robin maneuver if necessary (and maybe a mine launcher).

Last edited:
I love the way the DBX looks too. The view from the cockpit is excellent as well. It is one of my core ships in the game, and my prime exploration ship.
Three small things add up to bug me. Neither the nameplate or ident actually fits anywhere on the hull. Both are awful placements.

And is the large yellowy radial lighting element on the left wall behind the seat supposed to be there? Because it doesn't look like it has a source that would emit that, and I'm fairly certain it wasn't even there before a certain update.

It doesn't seem to get the attention that some other ships do but it's a very capable beast.
I was flying it before it was cool. ; -) And by that I mean pre-buff. I avoid the AspX because it's so horribly ubiquitous, and will likely do the same for the Anaconda (though that's a harder ship to shun). So for the foreseeable future it is my main exploration vessel, though I plan on my next trip being in a refitted T9.

I need to fully Engineer the DBX for mass reduction, though, as I think I only had access to Farseer when I first left for Colonia. And I'll be leaving behind the two mine banks I always traveled with, as they really are a waste of mass.

(by the way, I prefer 'DBX' to 'DBE', or is that another debate?)
Nah. DBX all the way. DBE sounds like some kind of audio file format...

The fleet was diverse but there was only one other DBX there for the launch today. Such an underappreciated ship! So many Anacondas....[downcast]
I admire the idea of such trips, but they're unfortunately not for me. One of the things I like most about far flung exploration is simply being able to take your time - be it weeks or months, being able to just play other games and dip back into Elite.

Still, good luck on the trip.

Oh yeah, and another way the DBX is grossly lacking in love is the frikkin' ship skins. When the Hauler has infinitely cooler options for livery, you know a ship's being treated poorly... Given it has one of the most distinct geometries in the entire game, it's bizarre how it's being ignored by FDev.

Top Bottom