Ships Diamondback Explorer Owners Club

Oh yeah, and another way the DBX is grossly lacking in love is the frikkin' ship skins. When the Hauler has infinitely cooler options for livery, you know a ship's being treated poorly... Given it has one of the most distinct geometries in the entire game, it's bizarre how it's being ignored by FDev.

I wonder what a DBX with a raider pack would look like. What kind of variants/skins would you like to see? I'd personally dig something that looked a bit cruder or more ramshackle.

Edit: Actually, looking at it the light couldn't be coming off of that panel in such a way... could the thing adjacent possibly be the light source?

Last edited:
aaXTMFP.jpg

I wonder what a DBX with a raider pack would look like. What kind of variants/skins would you like to see? I'd personally dig something that looked a bit cruder or more ramshackle.
The problem with more crude and/or ramshackle is that, thus far, the actual skins for the raider packs are kinda terrible, i.e. they're just textures with no real sense of depth and material degradation.

The raider bits'n'pieces do alter the overall geometry and profile, sure, but it's still just sticking stuff onto a uniformly flat surface. It's lazy, and the end result is overpriced (just like, I'd argue, almost all of Elite's cosmetic micros).

As for the DBX? I'd just like options akin to the Hauler's unique pack (I got that ship for the first time the other day, to hop between station homes and avoid ship transfer fees. never looked at its skins before). Or the Taipan's Gladiator pack, which I love (in-game they don't quite look so Transformers/toy-like, btw).

In terms of ideal cosmetic customisation - and I'm loathe to give FDev more excuses to exploit us for cosmetic DLC - I'd kinda most like to see interior skins; configurable, modular options for role-specific cockpit assets. The DBX's interior is nicely utilitarian, but were a pilot to spend so long in that cockpit tens of thousands of Ly out from the Sol bubble, they'd likely customise the interior for a bit more comfort, or extra screens for journals/logs, feeds for scientific data in realtime, a drinks or food supplement dispenser close at hand, etc.

Regardless of how the exteriors look, our interiors are all the same, and that ideally needs to be addressed.

Edit: Actually, looking at it the light couldn't be coming off of that panel in such a way... could the thing adjacent possibly be the light source?
Nah, or if it is all the other lighting effects are faulty. It frankly looks like a rogue external light source has found its way inside... but I gather 2.4 brought about a tweak to the DBX's very own external Christmas lights, so any fault should've been addressed.

Either way, it looks distractingly ugly enough to the extent that I began to avoid that angle in screenshots... Am I over-obsessing? Not really, no; I did spend the best part of a year inside that tin can, so it figures I'd be very familiar with every interior detail. ; -)

I got one, and since the buff, it's an absolute gem for exploration. I believe mine has a jump range of 52 or 53 LY.

I have become a DBX owner a day ago. I decided to try it as a planetary landing ship for Mat gathering. It was the increased jump range that attracted me.

I also had an idea how to set it up for role play. So I got the ship, got the tactical paint pack and started building.

It's now my version of a drop ship. It's painted in tactical khaki. It had MARINES painted on the side. It has an overcharged thermal effect C3 multi cannon on the bottom. And two missile packs on the side.

I like the look. It's my drop ship from aliens. Or my future Osprey.

It's mainly D rated other than the A power distributer. To keep the weight down. It's now fully engineered. Heavy duty sheilds, G5 dirty drives and G5fsd.

Now here is where I became impressed with the DBX. In a semi combat set up, carrying an SRV this ship has a 54LY jump range. That's 1.5 short of my fully stripped AspX which carrys nothing at all.

My Asp feels left out! I have always been an Asp owner and have always taken pride in its capability. But as a shorter radius planet lander the DBX has the edge. I will keep the AspX for longer range missions and exploration, without planet landing needs. As any Asp owner knows. In stripped out condition its a bit of a pig on high G world's. The AspX still leads the way with fuel scooping and cockpit and looks though.

So yea presently surprised by the DBX and how good it is in its role in gonna use it for.

Last edited:
Just got me a spanky new DBX yesterday. I paid for it with the 20ish mil I got from my first exploration run in my Type 6 and as it sits with no engineering I have a 40ly jump range. I'm planning to take it our for a few weeks and use the rewards from that to get the FSD engineered out the wazoo.

I’ve made use of the DBX on many Maia trips when restarting the game or simply as a posh taxi for getting around the bubble...

I’ve always run it stripped out with minimal to no cargo or combat potential. However I recently started looking at this ship in a new light after comparing its stats to a Viper4 (which I absolutely love), they happen to share many characteristics when it comes to speed and mobility. I’m already well versed in the DBX’s jump range potential but I’d like to talk more about its combat potential for PVE...

So I went ahead and bought one with a fresh CMDR and took it BH in a High RES, so far I haven’t even begun to unlock the capabilities of its three OP hardpoints but they’re pretty easy to keep on target and they’re going to pack a real sting with some engineering. Handling is just about bearable with 4A thrusters, but again, I’m eager to get them sorted with dirty drives for a more reliable dogfight.

Any advice on hardpoints would be appreciated but so far this ship feels like a glass cannon. Its strong hardpoint damage is causing ships to turn on me quickly in the High RES (which is both scary and a compliment at the same time), I believe it’s this feature that turns many away from using this ship for combat. I’ll be focusing on increasing its speed, defence and agility first before pampering its weaponry...

The thing I’m most pleased with is its versatility, I can BH safely and turn a profit, I can travel exhausting distances quickly while fully armed which is great for engineers and material gathering...

...and she actually looks totally sweet with the right paint pack! Not a fan of the yellow...

22790887_554_A_46_FB_A058_B0_F62_F0_C3_E3_F.jpg

E4_D4_F129_C8_BF_4_D00_BBBA_1_EAAE2524_E96.jpg

45669_CE2_C8_CC_4_C3_C_B8_EB_5_B402_E6_E2_E5_C.jpg

Last edited:
K....I now really love this ship for combat...

I’ve spent a good few days in it and find it more than viable. I ran with 3 multi cannons for a few hours and enjoyed chewing up the hulls of enemy ships but soon decided it was a poor use of its ace class 4 distributor so switched out for a class 3 Efficient beam instead.

At this tier I usually run Vipers for BH and always find lifting the nose to bring their class 2 hardpoints into play a little irritating. There’s none of that here, the DBX provides really great coverage. Doesn’t feel as heavy after g3 dirty drives and mine can now break 400m/s to escape trouble when it has to. While it’ll never be a Vulture it does give it a run for its money in terms of raw firepower, and (unlike a Vulture) when combat time is over there’s no fuss going off to get some more engineering done, 3 jumps and you’re there!

Even when burdened with heavy weaponry, shield boosters, kws and over 1100 armour I’m still getting 40ly jumps...amazing for a ship equipped for war. The little class 4A shield generator has done pretty well, it provides 279mj with a pair of shield boosters and I’ve just noticed I can add a third booster if I switch off the cargo hatch.

All in all, a very capable combat vessel when brought alive with some pretty minor engineering tweaks. Couldn’t be happier with it and knowing that it can become FAR stronger with more engineering should keep me entertained for a while...
749938_E8_75_E2_4397_8906_0294_CD95614_A.jpg

Last edited:
I go the other way.

I have a class 3 MC and 2 class 2 pulse engineered for long range plus effects.

I think I'm also running an engineered class 3 shield and it holds up well.

If you're not too worried about heat, DBX can run perfectly fine with a G5 overcharged power plant. Mine has around 21 MW of power and never overheats in combat, the only issue is limited fuel scooping (I mean the ship does overheat if I try to scoop at maximum rate, have to stay further from the star and scoop at around 200-250 kg/s). Of course I can get anywhere in the bubble without scooping so most of the time it's irrelevant.

With that much available power, it's possible to mount a class 4 Prismatic shield (reinforced) with 4 boosters (probably not 4x A boosters though) and reach over 600 MJ shield strength with good resistances. I can safely take on any single NPC up to elite Anaconda, and even when attacked by PvP ships I rarely lose the shield.

I’ve made use of the DBX on many Maia trips when restarting the game or simply as a posh taxi for getting around the bubble...

I’ve always run it stripped out with minimal to no cargo or combat potential. However I recently started looking at this ship in a new light after comparing its stats to a Viper4 (which I absolutely love), they happen to share many characteristics when it comes to speed and mobility. I’m already well versed in the DBX’s jump range potential but I’d like to talk more about its combat potential for PVE...

So I went ahead and bought one with a fresh CMDR and took it BH in a High RES, so far I haven’t even begun to unlock the capabilities of its three OP hardpoints but they’re pretty easy to keep on target and they’re going to pack a real sting with some engineering. Handling is just about bearable with 4A thrusters, but again, I’m eager to get them sorted with dirty drives for a more reliable dogfight.

Any advice on hardpoints would be appreciated but so far this ship feels like a glass cannon. Its strong hardpoint damage is causing ships to turn on me quickly in the High RES (which is both scary and a compliment at the same time), I believe it’s this feature that turns many away from using this ship for combat. I’ll be focusing on increasing its speed, defence and agility first before pampering its weaponry...

The thing I’m most pleased with is its versatility, I can BH safely and turn a profit, I can travel exhausting distances quickly while fully armed which is great for engineers and material gathering...

...and she actually looks totally sweet with the right paint pack! Not a fan of the yellow...

https://image.ibb.co/npmUk6/22790887_554_A_46_FB_A058_B0_F62_F0_C3_E3_F.jpg

https://image.ibb.co/eoJmXm/E4_D4_F129_C8_BF_4_D00_BBBA_1_EAAE2524_E96.jpg

https://image.ibb.co/nQQ0sm/45669_CE2_C8_CC_4_C3_C_B8_EB_5_B402_E6_E2_E5_C.jpg

Hmm, DBX and SRV in Midnight black. The stuff dreams are made of;) . It was the first of my fleet to get the MB treatment, glad i did. It's IMHO the best looking ship in game. Sorry Annie, but your just not as perdy. But i still loves ya! :rolleyes:

just got the Black Friday paintjob, she looks quite nice, if youcan see her that is, running a low heat build, for my trip with the MFMI for our colonia migration (I'm taking this back, I'm gonna get soooo much Detailed scans to boost me from scout to whatever I get to XD
7f0b4bfc-14cf-4c1f-b9fe-197df5bdc5d9.PNG

I became an owner of this ship as well a few days ago and been slowly tweaking it for Planetary Work/Exploration and it is now MOSTLY ready save fore maybe some Engineering to improve things (I just started like last week on Xbox One S...did Bounty grinding and going for Planetary Jobs that are above my rank). Planning my first trip out of the bubble for this weekend.

i love my red firefly. with one overcharged beam and two pack-hound missle racks it saves me uncounted times my popo (lol) after interdiction and is an amazing fast killer machine ...

Last edited:
I've kitted one out (minimal) with engineering of FSD as a super-fast-taxi ! With a jump range of about 55 lyrs it gets me around the Bubble really fast, and I'm guessing the engineered thrusters to give me boost to about 420 will get me out of trouble if interdicted, as I am not carrying weapons.

It's great if you are a long way from the CG you just did, but can't be bothered to fly all the way back to pick up the credits in your (slow) hauler ship.

Now I shall have to buy a yellow paint job !

Tactical white paint job with RESCUE in big letters across the side. Set up as a fuel rat/ship to ship repair. Only used once but glad to have it back as I loved it in the early game. The AspX provided so many benefits but damn is it ugly, stupid fat pancake.

Top Bottom