INRA Base Discoveries

Do you have the sources for that? I can't seem to find info on these dates from the FFE journals or missions. There's a lot though so might have missed it.

There's a reference to "the bio-genetic attack of the 3150s" and links to INRA.

But then it also says that the Alliance were allies with the Thargoids, so not sure how much FFE lore we can entirely trust.

Try this http://www.jades.org/files/exemiss.txt (all the Argent's Quest missions text, raw format).
This is the file that we digged to defined our search area for the first base. (Found by Yuksarr sunday 8 morning at 6am on a mobile phone, in his bed).

About how much we can trust FFE as a canon source, you'll also find a tourist beacon at Beta Hydri :

Beacon: Innitu's Assassination [Beta Hydri]
In 3251, the publication of "The Thargoids: Truth and Fiction" by Dr Joreb Innitu of the Alien Studies Department of the Ghandi Institute based on Wicca's World (Alioth) inflamed tension between the Alliance and other political powers. He was ambushed and assassinated whilst leaving the Beta Hydri system after a scientific conference.

This one just render all the "The Thargoids: Truth and Fiction" things on FFE canonn.

Last edited:
Right I've spent most of the day flying over various craters and areas on LP 389-95 7 ... found nothing.

No surprise really, I flew for a clear 2 weeks over various parts of EAFOTS GL-Y E2 6 looking for the Formidine Rift Delta Settlement and it ended up being practically a hemisphere away from any of the areas I searched. I only managed to find the Beta Settlement through sheer dumb luck.

So I have no idea how you guys are finding these INRA bases within minutes on the other planets....

Do you have the sources for that? I can't seem to find info on these dates from the FFE journals or missions. There's a lot though so might have missed it.

There's a reference to "the bio-genetic attack of the 3150s" and links to INRA.

There are no dates on the Journals. The Thargoid missions starts in october 3252, after Mic Turner goes missing. They end some time in 3253, depending on your own pace.

Best source is Jades FFE page: http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm

See,
- Tha missions
-The broken missions
- 3255 and all that

Last edited:
Try this http://www.jades.org/files/exemiss.txt
This is the file that we digged to defined our search area for the first base. (Found by Yuksarr sunday 8 morning at 6am on a mobile phone, in his bed).

About how much we can trust FFE as a canon source, you'll also find a tourist beacon at Beta Hydri :

In 3251, the publication of "The Thargoids: Truth and Fiction" by Dr Joreb Innitu of the Alien Studies Department of the Ghandi Institute based on Wicca's World (Alioth) inflamed tension between the Alliance and other political powers. He was ambushed and assassinated whilst leaving the Beta Hydri system after a scientific conference.

This one just render all the "The Thargoids: Truth and Fiction" things on FFE canonn.

All the things in FFE up to player involment, seem to be more or less spot on.
After that there are a bunch of possible outcome, based on player choice.

Han_Zen
All the things in FFE up to player involment, seem to be more or less spot on.
After that there are a bunch of possible outcome, based on player choice.
(sorry the the quote, I miss that first).
Yes I know. But this particular file contain all the texts of this missions, independantly of the player choices. This is why it is a good source of informations ;)

Last edited:
Concerning History will Decide 4/5
"The mycoid can paralyse a Thargoid system - either physically or technological - in a matter of seconds. It is extremely effective."

So that does sound like an effective weapon, but does not sound like one could infect a thargoid or thargoid ship and have it head back home to infect the rest.
Does that suggest INRA managed to deploy the Mycoid to the ~217 Thargoid sites?

As in, locate all the sites, jump all the way to them, defeat the defending ships, and deploy the weapon.

Concerning History will Decide 4/5
"The mycoid can paralyse a Thargoid system - either physically or technological - in a matter of seconds. It is extremely effective."

So that does sound like an effective weapon, but does not sound like one could infect a thargoid or thargoid ship and have it head back home to infect the rest.
Does that suggest INRA managed to deploy the Mycoid to the ~217 Thargoid sites?

As in, locate all the sites, jump all the way to them, defeat the defending ships, and deploy the weapon.

Infect a barnacle - if they existed back then - and let the Thargoids poison themselves.
It's what we need to do this time with a "new" SuperMycoid (tm)
Of course all those damaged escape pods - that could be Thargoids infecting humans with an anti-human Mycoid equivalent - and us rescuing them and returning them........

All of you guys setting your graphics to low...is it safe to assume you are on PC? I don't have that option on my XBox.

Try this http://www.jades.org/files/exemiss.txt (all the Argent's Quest missions text, raw format).

It renders the articles and Author canon, but we still have the quandary of how correct are they to the reality of the universe.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
We're on the right trail now, being lead through the bases as intended but I'm slightly surprised no one has mentioned the thing that connects all the systems where the bases are located (other than the 0 population) and that's the exploration music that plays as you enter the system. Probably not much help for this search at the moment, but certainly interesting... Well to me at least :p

Infect a barnacle - if they existed back then - and let the Thargoids poison themselves.
It's what we need to do this time with a "new" SuperMycoid (tm)
Of course all those damaged escape pods - that could be Thargoids infecting humans with an anti-human Mycoid equivalent - and us rescuing them and returning them........

chuckles

It renders the articles and Author canon, but we still have the quandary of how correct are they to the reality of the universe.

Yes, agree.
The Lore is still in Shroedinger mode.
But now, we have in hand a clearer timeline than we had before.

So the site on LP 389-95 7 has yet to be found? Had fun poking around last night...

Yes. The planet is wider that all the others so we are still on this one.

We're on the right trail now, being lead through the bases as intended but I'm slightly surprised no one has mentioned the thing that connects all the systems where the bases are located (other than the 0 population) and that's the exploration music that plays as you enter the system. Probably not much help for this search at the moment, but certainly interesting... Well to me at least :p

chuckles

I'd noticed that - wondered if it was just me.
Interesting.

As far as I know changing the graphics settings is not necessary. It simply is a way to make it easier to find those bases, as they stand out against the blurred background.

'Necessary' is a relative concept here. It's not 'necessary' in terms of the fact you can see a base without doing it. However I've already posted this once a few pages back; here is what the first base looks like from a stable viewing platform exactly 5km dead above it.

glCYdAC.jpg

Hardly jumps out of the screen at you does it? The base is the dark blob exactly in the centre of the picture; now let your eye roam around and see how many other similar looking blobs you can see that are just shadows, starting with the one about two centimetres above and to the right of the base itself. Now imagine that you're looking for the base whilst flying at 400 instead of parked absolutely stationary and that you're trying to scan an area 180 degrees in front of your ship rather than staring at a specific spot when I've already told you exactly where it is.

That's not even getting into the fact that if I'd gone another 3km or so up to increase the total amount of ground I could see, you wouldn't be able to see it at all. Oh and that it will be night over half the planet which means you would have literally no chance of spotting it if it was on that hemisphere.

Now bear in mind that the planet that pic was taken on is a small one compared to some of the ones that are being searched here - its surface area is over 10 million km2. If you want to work out how long it would take to properly check that out flying at an altitude of about 5km and doing 400 it's actually possible but I can save you some calculations - a very long time.

As has already been explained you can increase the altitude from which they can be seen to somewhere between 20km and 30km by killing your graphics settings, which in turn means you can fly in glide which is much faster. Trouble is it means players who don't know about it, or players like me who consider doing it to be incredibly 'gamey' are very unlikely to ever be able to make a meaningful contribution to these searches until FDev actually create some proper gameplay mechanics to facilitate searches.

In fact if I'm honest, I don't see any distinction whatsoever between deliberately knocking graphics settings down to those appropriate for a ZX81, using task manager to check for memory spikes or simply observing a FPS slowdown when a site is loaded in, in the sense that all of them are essentially metagaming. That's not to criticise commanders who choose to use any or all of those methods - I fully understand why they do it, because we simply don't have anything else.

When it's critical lore that's being uncovered though, it does leave a nasty taste in my mouth that this is what the game requires us to resort to. That goes double when I read comments from FDev praising the 'ingenuity' of players for coming up with ways of doing things like this because really the fact we have to do it at all is something of a travesty. I know if you actually tried to explain this as a way of discovering things to the wider gaming community you'd get a range of responses that varied between blank looks, accusations that you were winding them up and probably bemused laughter.

Last edited:

chuckles

Indeed. Didin't noticed that because I shutted down the music on my game settings.

And this may be pure conjecture but... all the other bases have had either the Andromeda Galaxy or Barnard's Loop in the skybox, so I try to line up with one of those on the horizon.

Here's all mine, all the references to INRA and the Thargoids from all the Journals in FFE. Yes Innitu was a big part of the early FFE game before the main bit with the Thargoids.

Note: It's crazy confusing because there's so many contradictory articles depending on what path the player is taking. There's basically three endings to the story as far as I remember, and I'm not really sure which bits are from which at this point because they weren't particularly linear. I thought that Fdev said the ending they are using as Lore from ED is the one where the player didn't deliver the cure, but I vaguely remember there's also an ending where the player delivers an even stronger mycoid strain now? Anyway, here's all that stuff;

It is now three hundred and fifty years since the first reports of Thargoids from the settlers of Molotov Village on New Africa (Veliaze -2,3) and exactly fifty years since the last mother ship was destroyed by INRA pilots flying out of Facece.

In the three hundred years of their existence, the Thargoids represented the only Universal Enemy that humankind has ever encountered, engendering a unique sense of political cohesion amongst the three political galactic powers as they threatened to destroy the fabric of human space.

Thargoid culture and politics remain a mystery, due largely to the absence of communication between the races. The Inter-Species Translator developed in 3015 CE by the INRA research wing allowed a modicum of intelligible communication and recently, historians and linguists have been re-examined those transcriptions available for indications of thought patterns and cultural paradigms.

Our belief is that they did and we did - but not publicly. We have new, unpublished research to suggest that the Inter Species Translator was not, in fact, a development of the INRA researchers, but was designed, built and delivered by the Thargoids in an attempt to halt the war. We believe that the authorities of the two existing galactic powers suppressed all communications (and continue to do so), using the 'Thargoid Menace' as a political tool to retain control over the pioneering colonists of the early Thirtieth century.

Thargoid hyperdrives have long been known to contain heavy plastics containing long-chain polymers entirely unlike anything in human-designed drives and the claim is that INRA deliberately developed a virulent infective agent specifically tailored to infect only the Thargoid technology. The hypothesis suggests that the INRA mycoid was capable of selectively disabling the Thargoid hyperdrives and rendering long-distance travel impossible.

Innitu claims to have proof that the Veliaze system served as a forward base for the Thargoids, equivalent to one of our outer 'Frontier' worlds and that their home system was several thousand light years distant. In this case, absence of hyperdrive capabilities would effectively confine the Thargoids to their home systems.

If Innitu's claim is fact, then the Thargoids did not leave of their own accord and the only thing preventing their return is the continuing virulence of the mycoid. Logic suggests that as soon as the Thargoids develop the technology to engineer an anti-dote or a vaccine, they will be able to return.

It is a little over 100 years since the last Thargoid mother ship was vapourised by the fighting lasers of Intergalactic Navy's Elite Commanders.

That's a seriously long time. That was before Danielle Tensdottir became the best selling dream-star the Galaxy has ever seen. Before Hens Drintel made the final attempt on the sun dive in Asquieth. It was before most of you were even born.

How many of us remember the Thargoids as they really were?

Dr Innitu today gave the keynote address to the Alien Races Convention (held on New Caledonia in the Beta Hydri system) claiming to be in possession of documents that detail the genetic engineering of a mycoid with anti-plastic properties.

Thargoid hyperdrives have long been known to contain heavy plastics containing long-chain polymers entirely unlike anything in human-designed drives and the claim is that INRA deliberately developed a virulent infective agent specifically tailored to infect only the Thargoid technology. The hypothesis suggests that the INRA mycoid was capable of selectively disabling the Thargoid hyperdrives and rendering long-distance travel impossible.

Innitu claims to have proof that the Veliaze system served as a forward base for the Thargoids, equivalent to one of our outer 'Frontier' worlds and that their home system was several thousand light years distant. In this case, absence of hyperdrive capabilities would effectively confine the Thargoids to their home systems.

If Innitu's claim is fact, then the Thargoids did not leave of their own accord and the only thing preventing their return is the continuing virulence of the mycoid. Logic suggests that as soon as the Thargoids develop the technology to engineer an anti-dote or a vaccine, they will be able to return.

The team suggests that the research arm of INRA created a Thargoid-specific mycoid agent capable of destroying the Thargoid hyperdrives and thereby prevented the aliens from travelling the distances required to reach our sector of the Universe.

Innitu's group has always held the belief that the entire Thargoid War was a deliberate policy decision by a key group of leaders within the three galactic powers as part of a controlled colonial expansion and that they ended it only when the aliens posed a serious threat to the safety and political stability of the Inner Core. There can be little doubt that Innitu's assassination supports the contention that there are those in authority in the upper reaches of the Federal and Imperial states who will go to any lengths to see to it that the truth does not emerge.

Accusations that the research arm of INRA not only still exists and but attracts substantial 'soft' funding have been strenuously denied by both authorities.

It is alleged that there is a system, or set of systems that have been used as a Military Research Base in the recent past by the Research Arm of INRA, (the Intergalactic Naval Reserve Arm - an undercover unit drawn from the Elite pilots of both the Federal and the Imperial Navies). The system is said to be currently uninhabited but there is, allegedly, a high degree of military surveillance maintained in the area- including a number of Military Defence Satellites.

If this is the case, it is entirely possible that 'Turner's Quest' was destroyed by either one of the Satellites or by the attack wing of INRA itself - working under the orders of one or other High Command.

STOP PRESS: The investigative journalist, Kiel Newent, working for Frontier News, died yesterday on the northern Edge world of Tecumseh (Miandin -1,6) during the course of an investigation. Results of a detailed post-mortem have yet to be released however it is believed that a rapidly acting neuro toxin was used. Newent had been investigating the 'Turner's Capsule' story and was believed to be in possession of information regarding the location of the Military Research Base discovered and visited by the ill-fated Commander Turner.

The ship's specs vary somewhat from the original design released by the NRS - in this case the ship is to be equipped with an original Inter-Species Translator recovered from the Argent Aerodynamics Museum on Wicca's World (Alioth) and restored to full working order. The IST was developed by the early INRA Researchers to facilitate communication with the Thargoid race prior to the alien's exclusion from the galaxy.

To the best of our knowledge it has no other function than to communicate with Thargoids and its inclusion in Turner's inventory can only increase suspicion that the 'Turner's Quest' may, after all, be intended for more than just the discovery and development of unpopulated planets.

Turner and Argent have developed a ship capable of reaching the nearest system thought to have been used as a base by the extinct race of Aliens, the Thargoids, in their incursions into this part of the Galaxy. Whether their final intention is archaeological, developmental or commercial is unclear, but the target can no longer be in doubt.

As previously suggested, we believe that Turner and Argent were intending to locate the system(s) used by the Thargoid race as their forward base in the abortive attempt to infiltrate this part of the Galaxy. This has yet to be confirmed but the ship's failure to return within a month of launch at least gives weight to the theory.

An independent journalist, Kiel Newent, working undercover for a number of journals was murdered last week on the frontier planet of Tecumseh (Miandin -1,6) while investigating the details of Mic Turner's death. The reporter was well known across the galaxy for dogged determination in the uncovering of large corporation fraud and government corruption and was beginning to build a name as an investigator of the covert operations of the agency INRA (the existence of which is still denied by the High Commands of both the Empire and the Federation.)

Although the rumours have not yet been confirmed by any of the relevant authorities, it is now widely accepted that Turner was attempting to locate the legendary 'front base' used by the extinct race of aliens, the Thargoids. According to our sources, Argent is convinced that Turner had located the bases and was returning to the Edge with whatever information or artefacts the systems revealed.

unprecedented customs embargoes and summary destruction by trigger-happy INRA fighters with an excess of adrenaline and a deficiency of both intelligence and tact. Coincidentally, these pilots are in exact placement to intercept the 'Quest' on either the outbound or inward routes.

Of more concern is the report that there was a small INRA counter-intelligence team operating out of Liaethfa (0,7) on the far Northern Edge at the time the last 'Quest' vanished from sight and that their leader, J Saunders is on a prolonged 'leave of absence' which is the usual way of giving a pilot free reign and then not having to pick up the diplomatic tab

One fresh and ominous development is the launch of the INRA Attack Wing which is said to be out 'on manoeuvres' in the Northern zone. Additionally, members of the INRA counter-intelligence team are on top alert and are refusing to answer legitimate questions from the press. If speculation concerning INRA's involvement in Mic Turner's death is true, then the new 'Quest' Commander had better keep a sharp eye over both shoulders.

There ARE still Thargoids out there, folks, and this ship has been there, seen that, got the star-suit ... and the crate of Thargoid body parts, the two dozen new Language Interpreters, the details of a ship drive that could take you across the Galaxy in seconds ... and anything else you have ever dreamed of owning.

The lucky owners are in possession of a fortune in Thargoid technology and objets d'art, worth more than the whole of the New Rossyth Shipyards put together PLUS they now have the secret to the source of the store-house if not to the makers themselves. And, more important than all of that, they came back ALIVE!!

The INRA attack wing harrying lone pirates and loose traders in the Northern Edge has also returned to base although, ominously, the leader of the INRA Counter-Intelligence wing, one Commander J Saunders (Elite), is still missing 'on personal leave'.

Impartial observers believe that INRA and their political masters are seriously worried by both of the recent attempts to re-locate the Bases used by the Thargoids in their incursions to this part of the Galaxy and that they will stop at nothing to prevent the various 'Quests' from succeeding.

If 'Argent's Quest' has returned intact then it is either capable of holding off an entire wing derived from the most experienced fighter pilots in any part of the Galaxy OR the Commander has reached some kind of compromise with the INRA leaders and is now, effectively, an agent of the bureaucracy.

INRA pilots were responsible for Turner's death then those in command must surely be feeling seriously nervous.

Meredith Argent is staying silent but sources from within the New Rossyth Shipyards have told us that the original venture was successful and that the ship made landfall at not one but two separate systems used by the Thargoids. Both were desolate and, surprisingly, there was substantial evidence to support Dr Joreb Innitu's assertion that INRA were responsible for the demise of the aliens.

Following a great deal of heart-searching by Meredith Argent and the senior staff at AAAI, the 'Quest' has been granted permission to attempt a flight as far as the Thargoid's Home system. Our source was not forthcoming as to the exact location but the distances involved are enormous and the danger doesn't bear thinking about.

The ship 'Argent's Quest' and its Commander, [MiR(PnorNPC), are still at large - and we have information from covert sources to suggest that the renegade may be attempting to make contact with the last remnants of the Thargoid civilisation in an effort to aid their return to our sector of the Galaxy. Such an attempt is, quite obviously, an act of absolute insanity - were it to succeed none of us would ever again be safe. The aliens proved themselves vicious, amoral and capable of massacres beyond the scale of anything known in human history. Their obvious disregard for human life and property and their grasp of basic technology made them a formidable enemy until they were finally overwhelmed by the powers of the Federal and Imperial Navies, allied under the auspices of INRA.

The ship has been seen in a number of anarchic stations and is known to be equipping for a long distance flight due to take it to the area thought by some experts to be the core of the Thargoid stronghold.

Nevertheless, their theory stands that Thargoids are inherently peaceable and only fight, in the first instance, in self-defence. If we don't fire at them, they won't fire at us.

Following the departure of the ship 'Argent's Quest' into Far space in search of the Thargoid stronghold, Meredith Argent is taking the higher echelons of INRA, most specifically Commander J Saunders(Elite), to court for the murder of the explorer Commander Mic Turner. Argent claims to have positive evidence, retrieved by the new 'Quest' Commander, [MiR(PnorNPC), that the earlier ship, 'Turner's Quest' was identified as an intruder by INRA defence satellites ringing an exclusion zone around the area previously defined as the Thargoid front base. Immediately afterwards, Saunders and others of the INRA counter-intelligence wing (previously demonstrated to be flying in the area) attacked and destroyed Mic Turner's ship and subsequently appropriated the 'Quest's' Stowmaster Escape Capsule, wiping the flight recording equipment prior to returning it to its rightful owner. Council for the defence has been allocated and are vigorously denying all charges. INRA have agreed to be guarantors for the accused and hence Saunders is free to continue with normal duties until required to give evidence.

The recent attack on the shipbuilding workshops of the New Rossyth Shipyard is the latest desperate manoeuvre in an escalating war of attrition directed by INRA against the management of the AAAI, in particular, its owner Meredith Argent.

Three ships launched several salvoes of pre-targeted missiles with the obvious intention of destroying the administrative centres and the construction plant. Had the attack taken place fractionally later, the full management team, including Argent would have been on site for a strategy meeting and there can be little doubt that this was known to those in command at INRA. Private sources tell us that the meeting had been delayed for unforeseen personal reasons and that the team were, in fact, in the orbital station awaiting a shuttle down to the planet when the first ship was detected on the scanners.

Fortunately, Argent and Turner had the foresight to design the plant to withstand nuclear attack and there was remarkably little loss of life. The medical fees of those injured are being paid for by the AAAI and the families of those killed will receive full recompense. In the meantime, Argent and co-workers have moved to a secure site off planet and business at the NRS continues as usual.

onfirmed that 'Argent's Quest' has indeed made contact with the Thargoid race. As reported in our previous issue, [MiR(PnorNPC) succeeded in locating three systems used by the Thargoids as bases during their period in human space. Evidence found there enabled the ship to re-equip and to make the journey to the Thargoid home systems where the Commander allegedly entered into formal negotiations with the Thargoid leaders.

The reported clash with naval ships occurred around the area of the Thargoid front bases was instigated by Commander Saunders of the INRA Counter-Intelligence Unit who appears to be pursuing a petty personal vendetta against

Pilots of INRA, the combined Federal and Imperial Naval galactic defence force have seen serious action for the first time since the eradication of the Thargoids in 3151 CE.

Elite pilots from both sides co-operated in a series of actions aimed at eliminating the threat posed by the ship 'Argent's Quest' in its self-proclaimed mission to return the Thargoid menace to human space. A series of armed confrontations took place in the uninhabited zone far beyond the Northern Edge during which it became apparent that the 'Quest' is armed and shielded beyond the capacity of any ship designed to date.

The management of the AAAI have today issued a statement confirming that contact has been made with the Aliens, that they are interested in negotiation and that [MiR(PnorNPC) is returning to complete a round of talks which could see the Thargoids return to our Universe within the year. Their attitude towards the human race (and, by extension, the android derivatives) is ambivalent in the extreme - from the brief contact made so far it is likely that the aliens are not instinctively war-like and that whereas they will meet force with force, they will also be amenable to cultural interactions and trade.

Talks are under way at a secret, neutral location to determine the viability of resurrecting the old Inter-Galactic Naval RESERVE Arm - to replace the current version of INRA, the Inter-Galactic Naval RESEARCH Arm. This will be presented to the population of the systems as a brand new innovation designed to protect them from the Thargoid menace Those of us not subject to the propaganda of the police powers know that INRA is the same however you spell the acronym and that what matters is that the Federation and the Empire have never STOPPED collaborating at the highest level.

The potential return of the Thargoid race to our sector of the Universe has concentrated minds as nothing else in recent history. Observers at the talks believe that a new consensus is emerging and that we may yet see a solid Federal/Imperial coalition to rival the existing Alliance of Independent States. In this case the new unity would be for the sole purpose of driving the Thargoid once more from our sector of space and would be directly opposed to Independent moves towards conciliation with the aliens. 'Thargoid scare-mongering' is rife and is being fuelled largely by the propaganda machines of both sides with the intention of creating an atmosphere of maximum animosity so that the aliens, when they arrive, will be met by armed aggression from at least part of the human population.

The Thargoids are coming. They will either accompany [MiR(PnorNPC) as an honour guard or wait for the diplomatic negotiations to be completed and follow when we can assure them that they will not be met by an armed naval fleet from either the Federation or the Empire. Sadly, it will be difficult to make such an assurance with any credibility. The Federal and Imperial Navies are signing pacts of eternal bonding and arming themselves to the teeth for the coming conflict. Unless Thargoid technology has stood still in the past century and a half, it is entirely likely that they will vapourise ships with the same consummate ease as last time round and the Navies are in for a hard time of it.

The Thargoids are coming. The nightmare is returning and there is nothing we can do to stop it. One Corporation headed by a pair of ego-maniacs has set in motion a train of events allowing the most implacable enemy the human race has ever seen to re-enter our lives. There seems to be little we can do to prevent this, the AAAI is not prepared to divulge the location of the Thargoid systems and, in any case, will not allow any of the remaining, unassigned 'Quest' ships to launch. Thus we are condemned to another Galaxy-wide war with the dreadful cost in terms of human suffering and the imbalance in trade that we suffered one hundred and fifty years ago.

The following statement was released yesterday by the Plenary session of the Alliance of Independent States: 'The AIS representatives, taking into consideration the beliefs and wishes of their populations, consider that the proposed return of the Thargoids to Human (and android) space is to be welcomed and that every effort should be made to greet the renewed arrival with balanced enthusiasm, diplomatic trading rights and the offer of a full and frank exchange of views concerning past contact.

Meredith Argent has accepted the negotiating rights and has given personal assurance that the Thargoids have no aggressive intent towards humanity (and its scions) and that they will only take part in armed conflict if attacked.

Inhabitants of all Independent Systems are requested to avoid the anti-Thargoid hysteria sweeping other Systems and are strongly urged to avoid all armed conflict with any ships showing alien identification.'

The Thargoids are not an invading force. The preliminary messages, delivered through [MiR(PnorNPC) and Meredith Argent made that very clear.

the Thargoids will choose peace over war, trade over bloodshed and a sharing of technology over its use for destruction. We, as an alliance intend to offer them cultural exchange, trading opportunities and a full and detailed examination of our past history as enemies.

One outcome of the upsurge in Thargoid-mania is a renewed interest in the history of their disappearance from our sector of the Universe. When they arrive, we will know their side of the story. But from our point of view, the late Professor Innitu's theory that INRA were directly involved could explain why the police states are quite so paranoid about the alien's prospective return.

There is a Thargoid ship in human space - the first since 3051 - and it is piloted by a human pilot. [MiR(PnorNPC) has been to Thargoid space, spoken with the Thargoid leaders and stayed alive long enough to return home with new trading rights, new technology and ... an entire Thargoid ship. In return for services rendered - the details of which have not yet been revealed - they have made a human-compatible version of a full Thargoid mother ship.

That much we know from Meredith Argent and the AAAI - little else has been revealed and will only come to light if the ship and its new commander can survive the armed might of the Federal/Imperial alliance. Every Naval ship in space is converging on the system where the alien craft was last seen and there is likely to be a battle like nothing we have ever seen.

In the old days, Thargoid technology used to be good. It was good enough to defeat most of the Navy for most of the time. The question now is whether it has improved significantly over the last century and a half to the point where the Commander at the helm can defeat all of the Navy all of the time.

The forward edge of the Thargoid invading force has entered our space. Reports of a single ship bearing Thargoid identification marks are flooding in from various Edge regions. Elite pilots of the INRA Systems Defence Force have been directed to the area with orders to kill on sight but so far contact has been minimal and the alien has taken evasive action on each occasion, avoiding direct confrontation.

Naval strategists believe this is the first part of an elaborate feint to cover the imminent arrival of a massed attack force in another part of the Galaxy and have not ruled out a hyper space attack directed into the Inner Core. This may seem unlikely but we have no knowledge of the advances in Thargoid technology since the last Thargoid War and we must prepare for every eventuality.

All Federal ships are warned to beware of a roving single Thargoid piloted by [MiR(PnorNPC) and to maintain constant vigilance against the arrival of a full scale war fleet.

YES, it's TRUE. A human in a Thargoid ship. Rumours from the Edge say that our happy flying friend has got hold of a real, working, flying Thargoid mother ship - or as close as you can get and still breathe the air. But how long will it last??

How long do YOU think the Thargoid's new Commander will live before the Navy get their sights lined up and press the trigger so hard the ship melts into nowhere??

The final stages of one of the Galaxy's most audacious long-term projects is drawing to a close. Meredith Argent and Mic Turner worked together for over four decades, locating, colonising, in places terra-forming, a set of systems in the Northern Edge from which to launch a comprehensive systematic survey to locate the Thargoid bases.

Between them, Argent and Turner designed, built and tested the 'Quest' set of ships equipped as none other in our Galaxy to be capable of carrying one human into Thargoid territory - and to survive the experience. Mic Turner died in the attempt - murdered by the head of the INRA counter-intelligence service while returning from one of the Thargoid Forward Bases.

In spite of the loss of a life-long partner, Argent continued with the task, recruited [MiR(PnorNPC) and pushed the mission to its planned conclusion.

That conclusion is with us now. [MiR(PnorNPC) has returned to the Edge with the most tangible evidence yet of the ultimate success of the venture - an intact Thargoid ship, re-designed for human use.

The Management of the AAAI have reported that the Thargoid leaders are in communication and that they are prepared to honour non-aggression treaties with the Alliance of Independent States.

So far so good. Thargoid technology is every bit as good as it used to be, if not better and [MiR(PnorNPC) has survived against supposedly insuperable odds. The INRA fleet has withdrawn to re-examine their strategies, to fire or decapitate(respectively) the Admirals and Princes in charge of their military failure and consider their next move.

Meanwhile, the Alliance of Independent States and the AAAI have appointed Meredith Argent and Dr Kit Silver Professor of Alien Studies at the Ghandi Institute (Alioth) to act as Galactic Ambassadors to the Thargoid people. One of the remaining 3 'Quest' class ships has been commissioned as an Ambassadorial craft.

This incarnation, named the 'Sappho's Quest', will shortly be dispatched with Argent and Silver on board to the region surrounding the nearby Thargoid Systems in an effort to arrange the necessary pacts, treaties and exchange of cultural values before the Thargoid fleet returns to this part of the Galaxy. With this in mind, the Alioth Institute has compiled a history of the Galaxy and a list of essential data with which to explain human politics, psychology and cultural attributes. Included in this will be a complete file of Frontier News back copies.

Those with ideas for other contributions should contact the Thargoid Action Station (TAS) at the Institute immediately.

Following the recent upsurge in violence in the Northern Edge, the Thargoid incursion into our territory has been successfully contained and the joint Field Marshalls and Chiefs of Staff have issued orders to the INRA pilots, and all others flying under Federal or Imperial flags to avoid engagement with the enemy until such time as a diplomatic settlement can be reached -

The massed ships of the Imperial Navy have surrounded the Thargoid fleet, containing their aggressive intent and ensuring that no Imperial citizen has been exposed to unnecessary risk.

That rules out the 90% of you who replied to our last article saying that the new Thargoid ship wouldn't last more than two pico-seconds against the massed lasers of our intrepid INRA fighters.

WRONG. WRONG. WRONG.

The Thargoid ship out-thought, outflew and out-fired everything the Navy could throw at it and escaped without a scratch. Now the Naval types have gone into a tail spin and have pulled everything out of the way before they see any more of their beautiful ships (not to mention their totally expensive pilots) melted into space-dust on the end of a Thargoid-built laser.

a single alien ship, albeit piloted by human rather than alien hands, has held off the INRA battle wing single handed. Extrapolating from that to the potential effect of an entire Thargoid war fleet doesn't look good on anybody's tactical graphs. Quite simply, the Navy would be comprehensively (and very rapidly) overwhelmed - and if the Thargoids were actually as aggressive as the paranoids think, the entire human population would follow it into massed oblivion.

The Federal/Imperial Coalition are rushing to start diplomatic talks- but they have yet to persuade anyone in the Alliance of Independent States to join them and there is, so far, no sign of the Thargoids - anywhere. Argent and Silver, acting as ambassadors for the AIS, are leaving soon in another of the 'Quest' class ships (newly named as the 'Sappho's Quest') in an attempt to reach the Thargoid Home systems before the aliens dispatch an exploratory fleet towards human space.

Reports from the AAAI headquarters confirm that the 'Sappho's Quest' with Meredith Argent and Kit Silver (from the Alien Studies Institute at Alioth) has succeeded in making contact with the Thargoids. The Quest encountered the leading edge of the alien fleet deep in the Northern unexplored Zone.

Argent and Silver were invited to dock the Quest with the Thargoid mother ship and a communication link was established that allowed the human and alien ambassadors to speak with each other face to face for the first time in Galactic memory.

Details of the discussions have yet to be released but it is clear that both sides see a way forward to peaceful co-existence. The Thargoids have accepted that we have our own internal political differences and that, whereas the Alliance of Independent States can make guarantees of peace, the ambassadors couldn't make a similar promise for the Imperial and Federal forces.

The no-fire agreement therefore extends only as far as Independent ships and Commanders are urged to ensure that they fly only under full AIS identification and that, while doing so, they should NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES fire on a Thargoid ship.

Thargoid Mother ships have been sighted in a number of Edge zones and reports confirm that they will attack without provocation or warning.

The Thargoid fleet has reached a close enough proximity to the 'Human Inhabited Zone' for a number of other AIS delegates to join the discussions over the ways and means for our two species to share the Galaxy in peace.

The details of that will have to be explained, including INRA's past and current involvement in the action. We look forward to an open forum - and the eventual participation of the Federal and Imperial Coalition in the on-going peace process.

The Thargoid/AIS truce, built on mutual trust and a common desire for peace has been deliberately threatened by Imperial/Federal insurgents. Last week, six ships flying under AIS colours and with trusted commanders at the helm, escorted the 'Sappho's Quest' on a return visit to the heart of the Thargoid fleet. Two of those ships then turned on the aliens, launching multiple ship to ship missiles in what proved to be a suicidal attack on the mother ship and the 'Sappho's Quest'.

The pilots were unquestionably INRA operatives. Their motive can only have been the complete destruction of the fragile trust built between our species and the aliens. They failed.

The outcome, had they succeeded in damaging a Thargoid ship could well have been different but in the event, the rapid reactions of Meredith Argent and the crew of the 'Sappho's Quest' rendered the attack harmless. Rather than having to fight for their lives, the aliens were treated instead to the sight of one human-piloted ship destroying two others in a brief but bitter dogfight.

The 'Quest', needless to say, was victorious and our negotiators boarded the Thargoid vessel only an hour later than the appointed time. The incident served, we believe, to strengthen the Thargoid's belief in our commitment to peace and also to highlight the political problems of a population divided by ideology.

Three waves of Thargons equipped with pre-targeted nuclear missiles scored multiple direct hits on the Complex destroying it entirely and causing unspeakable devastation to the surrounding area. In scenes directly reminiscent of those from the last Thargoid War, thousands of civilian health workers were killed and many more are suffering intractable radiation burns. In a heartening display of mutual co-operation, the emergency services of both the Federation and the Empire arrived on the scene within hours of the raid and were able to evacuate a number of key workers together with samples of their most sensitive projects.

His Excellency has been deeply disturbed by the ensuing scenes of appalling devastation and has sworn that those who lost their lives in this attack will not go unavenged. Accordingly, He hereby declares WAR on the Thargoid race.

he egg-heads at the Alien Studies Institute have been telling the entire galaxy that INRA made up a really neat microbe and sent it in a parcel to Thargoids - and lo! the place where it all happens is vapourised before our very eyes. Amazing.

The real question, folks, is Who Dunnit? RIG money is on one J Saunders of the INRA counter-intelligence wing who just happens to be on vacation at the moment. Hotice isn't quite the place we'd pick to get away from it all (apart from anything else, it's horribly cold out there) but there's no accounting for taste.

Who do YOU think armed the missiles? We'll pay for a FREE FLIGHT out of the war zone for the first one to come up with a positive ID on any one of the bomber pilots involved ...

The fragile truce in the Northern Edge is breaking. Fighters of the Federal-Imperial Coalition have gathered en masse in the area close to the Thargoid fleet and have begun to hunt down lone Mother ships. In addition, a single ship of unknown affiliation recently perpetrated a nuclear bombing raid on an INRA bio-genetic research station located at Hotice 1 (Hotice) with devastating results.

Negotiators dealing with the Thargoids are adamant that the aliens are, in spite of the threatened attack on their ships, entirely committed to the form and spirit of the truce. They suggest that the bombing of the research unit was the work of the INRA counter-intelligence wing and that it was designed both to destroy the evidence that would implicate INRA in the bio-genetic attack on the Thargoids in the early 3150's and to provoke a further outbreak of hostilities.

In either case, the fact remains that the truce is still under threat. BUT, we are not yet at war. It is the fervent belief of the Alliance of Independent States that the peace process should not be hampered by the iniquities of the dying political order and we urge all AIS affiliated Commanders to avoid being drawn into needless battles.

The war has begun. A formal declaration was made yesterday by the Imperial/Federal coalition in a statement of war broadcast to the AIS and their assumed allies, the Thargoids.

In spite of the continued INRA treachery and their attack on the Sappho's Quest, neither the AIS nor the Thargoids will attack any Federal nor Imperial target, military or otherwise.

It is His belief, following deep deliberations with those most trusted in the High Legislate, that there is no possible way that the Thargoid and their treacherous allies, the AIS, could possibly hope to emerge from the forthcoming conflict with their navies, their homes or their people intact.

His Excellency is in possession of the co-ordinates of the Thargoid home system - their equivalent of Sol. If the aliens truly wish to bring devastation to our homes and our families, then they will have to consider the possibility that the Navy of the Empire can do the same in return.

The Galaxy is technically at war. The Imperial/ Federal coalition has declared war on the (unconfirmed) alliance between the AIS and the Thargoid race. At the time of publication, neither side has initiated overt hostile action (if you ignore the destruction of the INRA research station) and both are making loud protestations of non-aggressive intent.

It is already too late to prevent inter-naval warfare on the edges: an INRA attack fleet has destroyed a wing of AIS mixed Tiercel and Merlin fighter craft and has fired on a small group of Thargoid mother ships on the fringes of the Northern Edge.

The aliens retaliated in self-defence and are believed to have destroyed over 90% of the INRA fleet, the remaining 10% being left to return to Facece and Eta Cassiopoea with their flight recorders intact as a permanent demonstration of superior Thargoid fighting power.

The AIS would appear to have the upper hand, at least for the time being. They have, not only the support of the Thargoids,

A basic format has been drawn up for a negotiated settlement, however, it has become obvious to all concerned that, in the absence of a representative from the Thargoid visitors, any agreement is meaningless. It has therefore been decided that Meredith Argent (who was present at the negotiations) will request that such a representative be present at the next round of talks. The logistic problems of human/Thargoid negotiation are not insignificant but it has been done once before and, provided that the members of the various teams are prepared to board a Thargoid ship, should be possible in the future.

Following the successful round of negotiations on New California (Quiness), a second meeting of representatives from all three human powers is to be held on a Thargoid ship in the region close to the Alioth (0,4). The Thargoids have given promises of safe conduct to all concerned and have guaranteed that the conditions on board the ship will be suitable for the human emissaries.

All communications will take place on a specifically altered Thargoid ship in deep space to the North of the Edge.

His Excellency the Warrior of the People and the Purveyor of Peace has accepted an invitation to meet with the aliens.

The Federal and Imperial Ambassadors of State have joined Meredith Argent and Kit Silver in the Thargo-human ship that has been stationed on the fringes of the Northern Edge since the visiting Thargoid fleet first arrived in close proximity to human space. T

Nevertheless, the Thargoid commanders have shown every willingness to forgive and forget and a Federal spokes being promised a 'full and frank' exchange of views.

Negotiations were completed recently between the representatives of the Thargoid race, the AIS, the Federation and the Empire. The terms of the agreement allow Thargoids to inhabit areas adjacent to human space with the specific proviso that they avoid ammoniating human-populated planets and with a concurrent agreement that no more ammonia-based planets will be terra-formed by any member of any system or Corporation.

Areas of high Thargoid population will be deemed to be under their control and will pay such taxes as are required for proper policing and local amenities. Similarly, any Thargoid-populated planet within and otherwise human system will be subject to the local laws as if human-based. Trading links have yet to be hammered out in any detail but there will provision will be made for alien interaction at priority trading sites throughout the Galaxy and Thargoids will be permitted to trade as if human at these sites. The possibility of human traders entering Thargoid-stations is under review.

Representatives of all three human political factions have signed non-aggression treaties and the Federal/Imperial coalition is expected to dissolve in the absence of a common enemy. All pilots are warned that to attack a Thargoid ship is fatal. They have reserved the right to return fire if under threat.

The six Federal Ambassadors of State have returned safely from the Thargoid ship following the lengthy round of talks concerning the outcome of the recent Galactic War. The truce has now been transferred to a 'peace state' and Commanders previously affiliated to the Navy are warned that old alliances may now only be maintained at the discretion of those directly involved and may be over-ridden by their commanding officers. In addition, it is to be made clear to pilots of all levels that the Thargoid no longer constitutes the Enemy and is not to be attacked without reason. For obvious reasons, all sides have reserved the right to return fire if attacked.

All Commanders are requested to bear in mind that the aliens constitute a new trading partner and that all past grievances, however painful on a personal level, should be buried in the interests of Inter-species harmony. Agreements have further been made that no ammonia-based planets will be terra formed and that systems containing such planets will be left for Thargoid colonisation. Additionally, any attempt by a Thargoid Ship to initiate cooling or ammoniation of a planet with a predominantly oxygen atmosphere should be reported to the High Council in order that the necessary steps may be taken.

Trading details will be specified at a future date.

As a result, Imperial traders will have a monopoly on Thargoid goods, including cultural artefacts, technological developments and ships parts. Specific translators will be installed at key Imperial trading posts and the aliens will begin shipping goods as soon as preparations are complete.

In return, His Excellency has offered full access to the wealth of Imperial shipyard technology. There is also an agreement permitting the alien to alter the atmosphere on a number of outer planets currently under Imperial control in order that there may be Thargoid-compatible worlds in close enough proximity to the heart of the Empire to enhance trading.

His Excellency has therefore let it be known that the Thargoid are now our trading partners and that any Imperial Commander known to have attacked a Thargoid ship will be court -martialled for High Treason against the Person of the Emperor.

The recent negotiations completed on the Thargoid ambassadorial ship would appear, in the first instance, to have been successful.

Commander J Saunders of the INRA Counter Intelligence wing has been informally identified as one of the two pilots responsible for the suicidal attack on the Sappho's Quest during the final negotiations with the alien leaders.

On a pleasanter note, the INRA fighter attack Wing is now acting as an escort to a number of incoming Thargoid traders in an effort to reduce the likelihood of piracy on the route in through the Northern Edge. Federal traders are reminded that all alien items will be subject to full authentication by appropriate academic departments.

Commander J Saunders, one of the last casualties of the recent Inter Galactic War, is to be given the highest possible military honour at a special ceremony held at a confidential INRA site.

The legal crisis building between Meredith Argent, owner of AAAI and current Chair of the AIS and Commander J Saunders of the INRA Counter Intelligence wing has been dropped.

THARGOIDS TO FORM BASE ON EARTH (SOL)
M.C.S

With the potential increase in trading and cultural links between the Thargoids and ourselves, it has been decided that a new base catering for Thargoid needs should be established. After much deliberation, the Thargoid leaders have expressed a wish that the base should be on Earth in the Sol system, the historic birthplace of the human race and all its current antecedents. The fact that this system is under Federal jurisdiction has not escaped the notice of the alien's political leaders - they have studied human politics in depth and are well aware of the concept of a democratic system based on adherence to capitalist values, classless society and freedom of the individual within the guidelines of the State.

The practical difficulties of building a centre that will be suitable for both human and Thargoid habitation are enormous but members of the Federal Academic teams are working round the clock to develop a system that will fulfil the needs of all. Once that is complete (and the latest estimates report that construction will begin within the year) we will be able to examine more fully the possibilities of trade between our races.

CAPITOL TO HOST THARGOID EMBASSY
M.C.S

His Excellency, the Master-Trader, Purveyor of Peace, the Universal Diplomat, in consideration of the difficulties faced by the Thargoids in their attempts to make links with the human race, has instructed the Empire's master builders to construct an Ambassadorial Palace for the Thargoid leaders adjacent to his own magnificent Citadel in the heart of Capitol's most prestigious and sought-after residential area.

His Excellency's generosity is motivated by a genuine heartfelt desire to forgive the Thargoids for their past afflictions and to demonstrate in a material way the new era of open-ness, solidarity and mutual co-operation that His Excellency and the High Council feel is appropriate in this, the dawn of a new era. It is felt that the new atmosphere of co-operation is at a fragile and delicate stage and that it should be allowed to take root and grow amongst the warm and loving atmosphere that marks the life of an Imperial citizen.

It will not have escaped the notice of the Thargoid Potentates that the Empire has a strong and just leadership and that the citizens of all Imperial worlds enjoy a robust and fulfilling life style, free from the worries of personal responsibility in matters of State.

In accordance with His desire for a just and lasting peace, His Excellency has ordered his Engineers to begin construction forthwith and to ensure completion within the year.

The underlying premise of erecting a trade centre to allow alien-human trading to take place with ease is that the aliens will actually wish to trade. To date, they have made it implicit that Thargoid goods: technology and cultural artefacts will be made available to all who want them.

They are concerned with the epithet 'Thargoid' as a means of identifying their race in its entirety. The origin of the word is obscure and comes from the period, several centuries ago, when the first ammonia-world was terra-formed and the aliens initially became known within our Universe. Whatever its original meaning, the word has come to denote the 'Universal Enemy' and is widely used as a form of abuse within the human population. This is a source of some concern to the alien leaders and they are working on deriving a less derogatory variant.

These areas will be defined in the near future and Imperial citizens in the region will be informed of their new status as Thargoid colonies as appropriate.

Further details of Thargoid cultural history are coming to light as the co-operative team on the trans-species ship currently sitting North of the Edge are able to communicate in more depth with our newly re-discovered galactic neighbours.

They are, as predicted by Professor Innitu, inherently peaceable although there appears to have been a long history of warfare in the period before the beginning of what it so be renamed the First Trans-Galactic Conflict (previously known as the Thargoid Wars). In an era corresponding to the second millennium and expanding into the early part of the third, the Thargoids were in a constant state of armed conflict.

What is not yet clear from the details made available is whether the war was inter or intra species - that is, whether Tharg was fighting Tharg (Different races? Different Species? Different cultures? Different politics?) for dominance of a small sector of space or whether there was another, unnamed species involved.

IF the latter was the case, then we must ask ourselves the question: do they still exist? If so, how are they? If not, how and why were they destroyed?

he journey ends. The efforts of the few for the benefit of the many have been rendered null and void. The Thargoid species has been eliminated by the workings of a small core of INRA fanatics who lacked the vision to see where a Galaxy inhabited by both sentient species could go. The exact details are, as yet, unclear but Commentators close to the Imperial and Federal Commands have confirmed that [Pn of Sol was, in fact, an INRA agent, employed to gain a 'Quest' class ship from Meredith Argent in order to attack and destroy the Thargoids in their home base.

Although the INRA propaganda machine has switched into over-drive and is claiming the absolute destruction of the entire Thargoid race, the success of their mission must still be in some doubt. We do not believe that Argent and the Directors of the New Rossyth Shipyard are as naive as this would suggest and we await the return of the 'Argent's Quest to Independent Space for a full enquiry and an explanation of the extraordinary events of the past few months.

Should it be true, then we have lost the first, and possibly the only, chance for our race to build a true alliance with another sentient and technocratic species - a tragic loss to us all.

THE THREAT IS OVER. The disaster will never happen. The Thargoid menace has been annulled. Destroyed. Removed forever from the heart of our Galaxy. There are no more Thargoids and THERE WILL BE NO WAR. Citizens of Federal Space can sleep peacefully at nights, trade profitably by day and go about their lawful business secure in the knowledge that the ultimate threat to our race has been eradicated forever from the Universe.

Thanks solely to the untiring efforts of both the Research and the Reserve (Action) wings of INRA and to the unsurpassed heroism of one single pilot, the security and stability of our realm has been restored. The pilot in whose hands our welfare has rested is, as we write, returning to inhabited space and will be accorded a full Hero's welcome.

Full details of this heroic quest, including the name of the commander involved, will be released at that time. In the meanwhile, we advise all those of you who answered the call to arms and who took to your ships in preparation for the struggle to dis-arm, return to your peace-time occupations and to prepare for a celebration such as the Galaxy has never seen.

THE WAR IS OVER. The Thargoids have been destroyed. His Excellency has released the following statement, to be posted in every Imperial living and work place:

the Thargoid race has been eradicated from the Galaxy. In a single dramatic action and with no thought for their own personal safety, the heroes of INRA have sought out and attacked the enemy in its own territory, destroying it utterly and forever. We can assure you now that there will never, in the future of the Empire, be another alien attack.

And Lo, did the Combined Heads of INRA huddle in a circle and stare at the Galactic map in search of The Enemy.

It is with enormous regret that we have to inform readers of the Universal Scientist of the destruction of an entire sentient species by members of the only other developed, self-aware, rational, reasoning species known in the Galaxy. Those of us committed to the expansion of human (and android) consciousness and the further development of our culture and technology had looked forward since the first rumours of the Argent-Turner project to a true meeting of minds with the aliens. Instead, small-minded xenophobia has triumphed once again and our species is yet again burdened with the shameful epithet of species genocide. The true facts will emerge with time.

As we write, the nauseating triumphalism of the Federal and Imperial propagandists is preventing a reasoned examination of events. Nevertheless, it is clear thus far that the research technologists of INRA succeeded, ultimately, in producing an 'alien specific' infective agent and that they suborned, threatened or otherwise persuaded the Commander of the Argent's Quest to deliver it directly to the Thargoid home base. Meredith Argent and the directors of AAAI are in emergency meeting at this moment but an early press release suggests that they will not allow Mic Turner's memory to be dragged through the mud in this way.

ollowing the appalling display of inter-planetary jingoism by the Federal and Imperial Authorities, it is clear that [Pn, was, indeed, an agent of the xenophobes - a fanatic prepared to go to extraordinary lengths and take extreme personal risks to seek out and destroy the Thargoids in their home worlds.

[Pn of Sol, the Commander who single-handedly destroyed the entire Thargoid species has finally returned to inhabited space.

Details are coming to light of the genocide committed by the INRA agents in the name of joint Federal and Imperial policy. The entire process was reprehensible in the extreme, however, it is the opinion of the 'Scientist' and our lawyers that the action of the INRA research station in particular is demonstrably outwith Inter-Galactic law.

Under pan-galactic bio-technology law, it is explicitly illegal to deliberately engineer agents that have the capacity, real or potential, to cause injury to those of human, android or other unspecified, sentient origin. The lawmakers, when they designed the regulations, had no knowledge of that Thargoid race. They did imagine, however, that there may one day emerge from the multifold systems in our Universe, a sentient species and that the appalling inherent racism of the human race would put that race in danger. So did they make the laws and so has INRA, backed by the Federal Council and the Imperial High legislate, broken them.

It is our intention to bring this flagrant breach of law to the courts and to see to it that the technology of INRA is never again used as a weapon of destruction.

Meredith Argent of AAAI has documentary proof, retrieved from the on-board log of the 'Argent's Quest' prior to its return to the Thargoid Home Systems, that INRA agent Commander J Saunders offered [Pn inducements to deliver an engineered, Thargoid-specific mycoid to the alien on the first leg of the trip. The mycoid is believed to have been engineered by INRA bio-technologists at the secluded biomechanic research centre on Hotice 1 (Hotice).

Two 'Quest' class ships flying under the auspices of the Alliance of Independent States have yesterday attacked the Inter-Gal/Sirius Medical Research Complex located near the equator of Hotice 1. The ships, both equipped with pre-targeted nuclear missiles, scored multiple direct hits on the Complex destroying it entirely and causing unspeakable devastation to the surrounding area.

TOP PRESS: The defamation suit being brought against our sister journal, the Universal Scientist has taken yet another twist with the destruction by INRA agents of the INRA research base and central command centre at Hotice 1. The loss of all records will seriously hamper the investigations by the 'Scientist's legal investigators.

According to sources close to Argent, the agreement under which [Pn took the 'Quest' north, required the Commander to follow the route taken by Mic Turner and then to return, if at all possible, to the Shipyard on Argent's Claim with such details as may have been discovered of Turner's fate plus the status of the Thargoid stations (if they do, indeed, exist).

According to sources at the NRS, [Pn had succeeded in locating the Thargoid forward bases and, whereas no useful information has been returned, it is certain that the co-ordinates of the system are accurate. Finding details of Mic Turners death remains the stated priority of the NRS but it is becoming increasingly clear that there is a longer term aim - the location of the Thargoid home base. This is to be linked with an attempt to form diplomatic links with whatever remnants of the Thargoid species can be persuaded to enter into a dialogue. Argent and the other directors of the NRS have long been in contact with the Alien Studies Institute (Alioth) and are of the firm belief that the Thargoids will ultimately prove benevolent towards the human race.

if at all possible, to the Shipyard on Argent's Claim with such details as may have been discovered of Turner's fate plus news of any contact made with the Thargoids (if they do, indeed, exist and if contact had been made). [Pn's failure either to return or to respond to repeated messages from Argent is taken as a direct contravention of the agreement. NRS strategists now believe that the Commander may have become, or may always have been, an INRA operative and, as such, is a danger to Independent Systems while at the helm of the 'Quest'.

Pilots of INRA, the combined Federal and Imperial Naval galactic defence force have seen serious action for the first time since the eradication of the Thargoids in 3151 CE. Elite pilots from both sides co-operated in a series of actions aimed at eliminating the threat posed by the ship 'Argent's Quest' in its self-proclaimed mission to return the Thargoid menace to human space. A series of armed confrontations took place in the uninhabited zone far beyond the Northern Edge during which it became apparent that the 'Quest' is armed and shielded beyond the capacity of any ship designed to date.

According to sources at the NRS, [Pn had succeeded in locating the Thargoid forward bases and, whereas no useful information has been returned, it is certain that the co-ordinates of the system are accurate.

Finding details of Mic Turners death remains the stated priority of the NRS but it is becoming increasingly clear that there is a longer term aim - the location of the Thargoid home base. This is to be linked with an attempt to form diplomatic links with whatever remnants of the Thargoid species can be persuaded to enter into a dialogue.

Argent and the other directors of the NRS have long been in contact with the Alien Studies Institute (Alioth) and are of the firm belief that the Thargoids will ultimately prove benevolent towards the human race. We await the future flights of the 'Sappho's Quest' with interest - and wish its Commander a speedy return from the current, sadly necessary, mission.

. The integrity of the Thargoid Rehabilitation Project has been seriously damaged and it is doubtful whether there will be any serious attempt to repeat it in the foreseeable future. Instead, the engineers at the New Rossyth Shipyard will devote their energies to improving the design specifications of the Quest class ships following the rigourous testing of the last few months.

That said, it is clear that the threat of a Thargoid invasion is greatly reduced and Federal diplomats are en route to Alioth to discuss the permanent lifting of the threat.

They have also entered into negotiations with Luminary Aides from the High council in order to ensure that the Damoclean Sword of a threatened Thargoid Invasion is withdrawn forever.

Following the destruction of the INRA Research Base by an unknown pilot at the end of what has now become known as the Regional Diplomatic Incident, a number of research scientists have become available for 'Research Locums'. This concept, based on the array of temporary consultancies available in other fields is being proposed as the solution to the current under-employment of specialists in such fields as bio-mechanics, genetic manipulation and fungal morphology. With the current upsurge in 'alternate species interests', there is an equivalent dearth of consultants in ethno-biology and related spheres. The suggestion, therefore, is that on-the-job training should be given to those scientists whose previous research careers have been prematurely terminated allowing them to fill the existing gap in the market.

Advisors from the Thargoids have further offered that those involved could be given 'intensive induction courses' on Thargoid technology, philosphy and history to allow them fully to integrate in the new mixed species society.

The account set up by Meredith Argent at the time of Turner's Requiem has attracted funds from across the full spectrum of political affiliation and personal wealth. In addition, the Thargoids have recently made a significant contribution in acknowledgement of Turner's role in the release of their People from the isolation enforced by the INRA mycoid. It is now a recognised fact that it was almost entirely thanks to Turner's skill as a ship designer and personal bravery as a pilot that made the discovery of the Thargoid Home Worlds possible. Turner's Last Will and Testament contained a clause requesting that any memorial should be of a practical and educational nature rather than simply a standing monument. The influx of credit has been such that Meredith Argent and the other executors of the Will have decided to open an Academic Institute based at Fortress Culloden, Turner's home town. It will be known as the Turner Institute for Inter - Species Investigation and it will aim to be the foremost Institution dealing with human/Thargoid affairs from culture and history to biology and current politics. The design of the building has been put out to tender and Architects from across the Universe are invited to submit designs within the next two months.

INRA DISBANDED
M.C.S

The Inter Galactic Naval Reserve Arm has been disbanded. The news comes as a natural sequel to the new entente cordiale that now exists between the human and Thargoid inhabitants of the known Galaxy. Work has begun on the detailed examination of their records from the time of its inception and it is likely that we will have to deal with a lot of skeletons in our collective closet.

INRA was created at the onset of the first Mutual Misunderstanding (previously known as the First Thargoid War). Its sole intent at the outset was to wage war and to drive the aliens from our sector of the Galaxy. When it became apparent that human technology and flying techniques were no match for the alien ships, INRA became involved in the field of biological 'defence' research and the High Command, which had been drawn from the upper echelons of the Imperial and Federal Navies, began instead to be populated by Counter Intelligence Personnel and senior research scientists - all individuals with a personal interest in maintaining covert Imperial/Federal links and with a hidden agenda that went far beyond the eradication of the alien race. Their success in driving the Thargoids from our sector of space will be a source of shame to the human race for the rest of time - but it is the effects they had on Inter galactic politics that will cause the most disturbance as it comes to light.

INRA RECORDS - THE HIDDEN YEARS
M.C.S

The examination of the INRA files continues to cause disruption within the hierarchies of all three political powers as details come to light of the covert co-operation that existed between the Federation and the Empire, particularly in their attempts to suppress the rise of the Alliance of Independent States in the early part of the thirty second century.

The mighty have fallen amongst the Popular Councils of the Federation and heads have rolled (in some cases quite literally) amongst the Civic Guard and the High Legislate in the Empire. Naturally, the President and the Emperor are both being shown to be as pure as the driven snow and can claim to have been entirely ignorant of the acts carried out by their underlings. Neither is to be believed, but little redress can be made at this stage by insisting that full justice be done. The real crises are happening in the small Systems as official after official is shown to have been in INRA pay and entire departments are discovering that the only member not selling secrets to someone was the cleaning robot in the corner.

Even those are under suspicion in some places - and, following publication of some of the more unlikely bugging techniques, even the office plants are being taken very seriously as sources of leaks. The repercussions are likely to continue for some time - in the meanwhile, the therapy trade is making a fortune helping bruised egos to come to terms with the sense of betrayal and the loss of trust.

INRA - SAUNDERS: A FANATIC WITH STYLE
M.C.S

The investigators working through the INRA files have finally reached the section referring to the work of the Counter Intelligence Wing, most specifically, the actions of the late Commander J Saunders. Saunders had flown for the Federation in battle against the aliens in the War of Mutual Misunderstanding and, after losing a close friend in an attack on an alien mother ship, had requested a transfer to INRA - then a small but select fighter squadron with a name for suicidal (but very effective) sorties against the enemy.

The new INRA Commander led a series of stunningly audacious sorties and promotion followed swiftly enabling the pilot to take part in major strategic decisions. Minutes of meetings held with senior research scientists at towards the end of the war show that it was Saunders who understood the degree to which the human forces were out-classed and who pushed the development of the anti-alien Mycoid. When the time came, it was Saunders who volunteered to lead the small group of fighter- bombers that swept down on the alien planets in the Northern Sector and seeded the mycoid across the surface, destroying the enemy ship drives. Of the two hundred ships that left to attack the planets in the two alien systems, only a handful returned.

Saunders was decorated for bravery (with good reason,) and promoted to head of the Counter Intelligence Wing with a remit to see to it that the aliens were never given the opportunity to return.

INRA - SAUNDERS vs TURNER
M.C.S

Commander J Saunders, leader of the INRA Counter Intelligence Wing has been confirmed as the pilot responsible for the death of Commander Mic Turner, explorer, ship designer and philanthropist. Turner began the search for the alien bases as far back as the early thirty two hundreds following conversations with Professor Joreb Innitu of the Department of Alien Studies at the Ghandi Institute (Alioth). Innitu believed (correctly) that the aliens were not necessarily aggressive and that peaceful overtures on the part of a single human commander would be well received. Turner and Argent made it their life's work from that moment onwards to bring the aliens back to our sector of the Universe. Saunders, conversely, had a specific remit to prevent that from happening - at all costs.

Turner and Argent made no serious effort to hide their intentions and Saunders dogged their heels from the start. Turner did find the alien's base - but the INRA Counter Intelligence Wing, led by Saunders in person, intercepted the 'Quest' en route back to the AAAI's northernmost base at Tecumseh (Miandin).

We have no exact details of the dogfight that followed but, of the sixteen attack craft in the C.I. wing, only Saunders returned. Mic Turner's ship was also destroyed during combat and the explorer took to the Escape Capsule. Jo Merion, the Search and Rescue pilot launched as soon as the distress signal was received and located the capsule within a remarkably short time span. Tragically, Turner was already dead at the time of pick-up although the arrest of Merion and the confiscation of the Capsule delayed the release of the news sufficiently long to give Saunders time to return to base and pre-empt an Inter galactic diplomatic crisis.

INRA: SAUNDERS' SWAN SONG - 1
M.C.S

The final fate of Commander Saunders, Elite pilot of the INRA Counter Intelligence Wing, has come to light as the last revelation of the investigators working through the past INRA records. In the final phases of the Regional Diplomatic Incident (also known as the second Thargoid War), ambassadors from all parties were engaged in frantic negotiations to avoid the onset of a full-blown Galactic war that would have ripped apart the cultural fabric of the entire human race. Minor engagements occurred at that time between factions loyal to one of three sides and Saunders was responsible for maintaining a constant watch on the progress of negotiations.

There is a belief that members of the INRA High Command, now all dead, wished the War to escalate (in Saunders case, a personal hatred of the alien appears to have been the primary motive) and that they evolved a separate strategy specifically aimed at breaking the truce between the parties.

Our next article will examine the means by which this was very nearly successful.

INRA: SAUNDERS' SWAN SONG - 2
M.C.S

In our recent report on the INRA strategy files, we stated that Commander Saunders and the members of the Counter Intelligence Wing's High Command, intended to break the evolving truce growing between the alien Leaders and the human delegation. As part of this plan, Saunders used a cover identity to earn a position as part of the protection fleet escorting Meredith Argent and Kit Silver in the 'Sappho's Quest'.

During the final approach on the alien diplomatic fleet, Saunders launched a completely suicidal attack on the leading alien mother ship. Had the commander of the 'Sappho's Quest' been slightly slower, the Thargoid fighters would have been forced to defend themselves and their trust in the human race would have been irreparably damaged. In the event, Saunders' ships was destroyed by a salvo of nuclear missiles from the 'Quest' and the aliens were finally convinced of Argent's commitment to peace.

It was the end of a courageous, if misguided life, and we believe that, in the new spirit of co-operation some kind of memorial should be created in commemoration of the Commander's tenacity of spirit.

THARGOIDS SHOW INTEREST IN ICE WORLDS
M.C.S

The Thargoids have requested permission to send a scientific delegation to investigate the ice world Merlin. Apparently, their researchers believe that there may be similarities between the sub-polar eco-system of Merlin and certain local ecosystems which have evolved on their ammonia-based planets.

The temperature gradients involved in each case is different but some of the core principles are similar. Arrangements are being made to accommodate the mother ship and attendants in a variation of the local space station and human scientists from the Sirocco Institute will be in attendance to help answer whatever questions the visitors may have and to provide samples from some of the less accessible sites.

The visit is planned for the winter months when the conditions are coldest and the ice is at its most stable.

Fishing will be suspended for the duration of the visit to avoid possible offence to the Visitors.

My alternative to low res "yoghurting" -

428kms or more at 55m or less of the deck along crater rims with all graphics set to ultra.
Haven't found a base yet - but it's fun :cool:

Top Bottom