Ship launched fighter concept

Had a go at modelling something which could work as a ship launched fighter.

One thing I think is really missing from ED is ships with a vertical orientation. I presume that's mainly because of the constraints on landing but I figured SLFs can be a little looser so long as the ship still fits in the slot. For that reason I made the ship fold up for landing, hopefully enough that it can fit in the slot.

My dream is that one day Frontier will open up mod tools to get some user-made ship designs in game... But for now I figured I'd just post this and see what people thought :)

lA77nVd.png

A0L0kCz.png

2Kq87ef.png

ySLaaTR.png

This looks really cool, but I don't think it would fit in the ED galaxy. All the ships in ED are following a certain visual identity, depending on which manufacturer designed the ship. None of the current manufacturer create things like this.
It's a really nice looking piece of modeling tho, what soft are you using ?

This looks really cool, but I don't think it would fit in the ED galaxy. All the ships in ED are following a certain visual identity, depending on which manufacturer designed the ship. None of the current manufacturer create things like this.

Yea I know but tbh this is actually a failing of ED in my opinion.I'd love to see a bit more diversity in game, which is why I'd really love for frontier to create mod tools. I honestly can't think of a game which would benefit from them more than ED. Likewise an option for user created "training" missions.

It's a really nice looking piece of modeling tho, what soft are you using ?

Cheers mate! Just Google Sketchup

All Elite ships have clearly distinguishable shapes and the designs are not cluttered. It doesn't have a classic shape of an Elite ship, but it could be a new manufacturer.

This ship is distinguishable from the rest which is good. I'm not fond of the massive bars that cover the canopy.

Frontier should do a competition of player submitted ship models and add the best ones.

Last edited:

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Not a big fan of such designs. I actually prefer simplicity and minimalism. That's not to say your design is bad or anything, it's just not to my personal taste.

I agree it would not fit ED aesthetics though, it stands out too much, just simply doesn't fit. Looks more like Star Citizen friendly design. Maybe send it to Chris R., he'll sell it for you ;) :D

ED's ship concept is anything out of a geometry box. This has a triangular shape so i say it fits.

You don't get into an SLF, it's tele-presence :p

Only CMDRs and our NPCs use telepresence, the Federal and Imperial navies use piloted versions of the SLFs. Presumably the in-universe explanation would be that the telepresence telemetry either wouldn't be feasible with so many ships or would be too easy to disrupt with various ECM methods. You'll also notice that even the telepresence SLFs have full cockpits and can support holo-me avatars as well.

Only CMDRs and our NPCs use telepresence, the Federal and Imperial navies use piloted versions of the SLFs. Presumably the in-universe explanation would be that the telepresence telemetry either wouldn't be feasible with so many ships or would be too easy to disrupt with various ECM methods. You'll also notice that even the telepresence SLFs have full cockpits and can support holo-me avatars as well.

Now I feel bad killing NPC SLF's [yesnod]

I generally don't like vertically-oriented designs, but that looks pretty cool.

That design aesthetic could make for some very cool-looking surface vehicle types too - utility models or combat walkers, I'm thinking.

One thing I think is really missing from ED is ships with a vertical orientation. I presume that's mainly because of the constraints on landing but I figured SLFs can be a little looser so long as the ship still fits in the slot. For that reason I made the ship fold up for landing, hopefully enough that it can fit in the slot.

It's a neat design, but all SLFs thus far actually do have landing gear and seem to be designed for the possibility of landing on flat surfaces, even if we can't do this yet ourselves.

You don't get into an SLF, it's tele-presence :p

They still have life support modules and cockpits, so telepresence can't be the only way they are operated.

Had a go at modelling something which could work as a ship launched fighter.

My dream is that one day Frontier will open up mod tools to get some user-made ship designs in game... But for now I figured I'd just post this and see what people thought :)

https://i.imgur.com/lA77nVd.png
https://i.imgur.com/A0L0kCz.png
https://i.imgur.com/2Kq87ef.png
https://i.imgur.com/ySLaaTR.png

wow this is beautiful! How did you do this? Maya?

Interesting, it would have very good yaw and terrible pitch. Would be quite different to fly from the other ships.

Nice looking design as well.

Deleted member 115407

D
Another nice one, OP. I wouldn't mind seeing it in game.

Top Bottom