How to install ED on Linux using Wine [EXPERIMENTAL, NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED]

Hopefully FDev will at least port the game to Linux with one of those new custom WINE packages pirates are using for some games nowadays.

Is the CRC error at the shader compilation during the thing that says, "Preparing Shaders", then, "Preparing plantary generation"? I got past that point randomly somehow. But I started the 64bit thing manually. Or is that something different?

If I can get it the launcher access I have this weird feeling it might start. It acts like it wants too. Either way this game feels like it is a hair away from working.

Enable CSMT for better graphics(checked)
Wine2.19-Staging
Windows 7
d3dx9_24-43 (native)
devenum (native)
iexplore.exe (native)
itircl (native,builtin)
itss
(native,builtin)
jscript
(native,builtin)
msctf (native,builtin)
mshtml (native,builtin)
quartz
(native)
shdoclc (native,builtin)
shdocvw
(native,builtin)
shlwapi
(native,builtin)
updspapi (builtin)
urlmon
(native,builtin)
winhttp (native,builtin)
wininet
(native,builtin)
xmllite
(native,builtin)

These are what I had randomly on my .wine if it helps. I'll put these in a bottle when I can figure out how to get the launcher working. I don't know if or which of these had anything to do with it.

I seem to have added dotnet4.0 and can't remove it from my .wine folder... This means I can't use it as my test and have to figure out how to get those into a new wine bottle.

Last edited:
Is the CRC error at the shader compilation during the thing that says, "Preparing Shaders", then, "Preparing plantary generation"? I got past that point randomly somehow. But I started the 64bit thing manually. Or is that something different?

If I can get it the launcher access I have this weird feeling it might start. It acts like it wants too. Either way this game feels like it is a hair away from working.

These are what I had randomly on my .wine if it helps. I'll put these in a bottle when I can figure out how to get the launcher working. I don't know if or which of these had anything to do with it.

I seem to have added dotnet4.0 and can't remove it from my .wine folder... This means I can't use it as my test and have to figure out how to get those into a new wine bottle.

d3dx9_24-43 (native)

That line could be a problem...

It's just the default d3dx9 installs with them set to native. It might not matter if it's native or not. And it may not matter if those are installed. I just had them in from an older game. I don't know which things help. Those are just what I want to install to test. Assuming it's needed when I get the launcher working in 64bit.

It's not one version. It's all of them.

d3dx9_24
d3dx9_25
etc up to
d3dx9_43

All with (native)

Native can get set in the config window in the library section.

Edit: So, I've read the man pages and I've read their stupid website. I can't find a single place properly describing the syntax or usage of their software and command line logic.... I've seen the mention of individual things like winprefix but it gives a sentence that gives no actual information on how to use it. This program is completely undocumented. How does anyone know how to use it now? I can't find anything to relearn this or learn it at all.

https://wiki.winehq.org/Wine_User's_Guide
https://wiki.winehq.org/Winetricks#How_to_remove_things_installed_by_Winetricks

None of this gives any idea how to use it correctly. Non of it is correct to any seen common usage or anything similar or is not described!!!!!!!!!

env WINEPREFIX=~/.winetest sh winetricks mfc40

What is env, what is .wintest? Why does it include SH when it is wrong?!

env WINE=~/wine-git/wine sh winetricks mfc40

They don't even describe what is in this line. Like every other, "example," they give! waht is /wine-git?! what is env again?! I'll be nice and assume mfc40 is a dll or something. What is SH or what is it from if not from their code?! What is Wine=? They don't technically go over this. they show wine is a syntax but not wine=x in any sense or with any TECHNICAL description(AKA one that lets me understand it in an applyable sense in the command line.). How do I work around this if I need to do something that isn't automated. Or period. There isn't enough to try one single line of code.

You do not use specific examples to describe syntax.

I can't even find alternative webpages describing it(outside of one or to syntax that are probably out of date.). You do not allow word of mouth as the method of describing a program. That is complete incompetency. There are no remotely functional descriptions if you actually have to do something not directly given to you in an example.

Last edited:
Edit: So, I've read the man pages and I've read their stupid website. I can't find a single place properly describing the syntax or usage of their software and command line logic.... I've seen the mention of individual things like winprefix but it gives a sentence that gives no actual information on how to use it. This program is completely undocumented. How does anyone know how to use it now? I can't find anything to relearn this or learn it at all. This program is a sham. This is as stupid as it gets. How does everyone tolerate this sort of garbage. Their software needs to be handed to people who are capable of doing the actual work with it.
It sounds like you're not very familiar with bash. To be fair, bash isn't the simplest thing out there.

Also it looks like a few of the things you found assumed a certain amount of knowledge.

env WINEPREFIX=~/.winetest sh winetricks mfc40

What is env, what is .wintest? Why does it include SH when it is wrong?!
This is NOT a wine specific thing, it's a shell feature: env let's you modify the environment that programs run in by passing a set of variable definitions into a command

"sh" here isn't necessarily wrong, it just assumes winetricks isn't in your PATH environment variable.

env WINE=~/wine-git/wine sh winetricks mfc40

They don't even describe what is in this line. Like every other, "example," they give! waht is /wine-git?! what is env again?! I'll be nice and assume mfc40 is a dll or something. What is SH or what is it from if not from their code?! What is Wine=? They don't technically go over this. they show wine is a syntax but not wine=x in any sense or with any TECHNICAL description(AKA one that lets me understand it in an applyable sense in the command line.). How do I work around this if I need to do something that isn't automated. Or period. There isn't enough to try one single line of code.

You do not use specific examples to describe syntax. These people need to shut down shop and get lost. they are wasting everyones time.
It's a bash command. I'd go into details, but you very probably don't really care. FYI, WINE is not for newbies.

Code:
env WINE=~/wine-git/wine
This is setting an environment variable ("WINE") for winetricks to use a specific version of wine, in this case "~/wine-git/wine" which can be expanded to "/home/your-user/wine-git/wine". This file probably does NOT exist because you very likely did NOT compile WINE yourself.

These people have no idea what they are doing. Period!
Quite the opposite. They had to implement Windows functionality through black box testing and reverse engineering. They are quite intelligent.

If linux weren't free...
I'll just ignore most of your textual diarrhea and assume you had a bad day.

You clearly do not know what you are doing and you should NOT be using wine (maybe even command line linux) unless you are willing to learn properly.

The majority of these developers work on software like this as a HOBBY in their FREE TIME. Your expectations to have free handed to you on a silver platter are completely unfounded. Perhaps you should admit this is over your head instead of complaining about the free work of others.

And maybe you should avoid responding period since. They refuse to document their programming and leave it a mess with things not reference they utilize. It's their mess. I don't care if it's a hobby. This effects others and it displays their professional abilities. There's no excuse for it. Nobody reading this magically knows the other syntax. It's their fault. Drop the attitude. I will be mad if I want to. These are fundamentals of software writing. I'm sorry for you but the documentation for all other software in linux is equally bad. It relies on another person with the assumption they correctly describe their software. None of them do! The burden is on them. They don't even link or reference it but have endless room to put pointless words in a description when they could be referencing the source. They don't document anything properly period.

BTW, how did you respond to information I edited out of my post. You posted after the edit from what i can tell?

And have fun watching programming disapear as a carreer in the next few decades or even less because it's not done properly and is nothing but conartists or vanishes because of lack of market(it will eventually)... It's already started and it going to get much worse. I you don't maintain those abilities it slinks ever down words. Sorry if I understand the practical world and consequences better than you. This is what has been happening in general and specifically in the programming and linux world for a long time. Free used to be the highest standards as it was for people maintaining abilities and always outshown the paid software. You don't have a clue why that is changing(changed) or where that is leading. There won't be software soon. Which goes against the responsibility to maintain things in the future(for future generations). That is a core responsibility. Enjoy your childrens missery because this is affecting more than programming. You might not get food eventually. free is irrelevant. Ability is maintained then you can sell stuff. If you don't have things made you can't sell it to people. That is how real life works. First you grow the food and then you sell it. If you dont' grow the food and do the work you don't have the experience to maintian the crops and you can't sell as you don't produce enough beyond your own needs to sell to others. That is the true basis of economies.. You just don't know it. That used to be the practical standard in programming as it is the same one governing engineering and all the stuff that makes the things you need. And literally the thigns wiping your rear and feeding you and clothing you. But if you like your stupidity dominating the real world have fun as those things will vanish soon because you keep getting in the way of the people making the things you need that you don't understand. It's called biting the hand that feeds you. YOu know nothing about how things work around you. Along with all the people like you who have flooded these areas of life and keep telling people things insistently they don't understand.

To simplify this a little. There is a difference between telling someone what they need and what they want. You and others don't want to hear you need to do things better or be held to any standards. You literally have no idea why it matters. I'm telling what is needed practically for the future. One of us will get their way. And that will dictate the natural consequence. We'll have things or we won't. If you know anything about history and human behavior and the way these things happen you know there won't be anything(or continue to decline until we don't).. But that won't stop me from telling you the truth. What is needed.

BTW, trade and economies don't come into existence until enough ability exists that there is overflow for trade and on the flip side people become lazy enough to become dependent on it. Money is not the basis of the world. It is superficial. Ability is literally the foundation.

And yes, I had a bad day. any day I have to read linux related, "documentation," is a bad day.

Last edited:
Hey guys, please let's keep this ontopic, I want this to be subscribaeble and more technical read :) We have separate thread for technical discussion :)

Thanks.

Bookmarked and repped. No free time ATM to do this but will do so toward the end of January. I've used Wine before and recognise most of the commands you mention.

I'm running NVida 1070 with latest binary for it on Ubuntu. Will let you know how it goes.

Great work, CMDR

o7

Is anyone else having problems with mono. It is installed but everything says it doesn't exist... I can't figure it out. I have 4.71 do I need to regress back to an older version? It won't let me uninstall the current version or add a new one. I have no idea what to do here..

I also keep getting this:

./winetricks: line 8826: /usr/bin/wine6464: No such file or directory

WINEPREFIX=~/ed-wine WINE=/usr/bin/wine64 ./winetricks dotnet452 corefonts quartz vcrun2012

It won't install from the above command?! why is it adding a second 64? I just reinstalled all of wine and it changed nothing:
$ WINEPREFIX=~/ed-wine WINE=/usr/bin/wine64 ./winetricks dotnet452 corefonts quartz vcrun2012
------------------------------------------------------
You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. Note that many verbs only install 32-bit versions of packages. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.
Using winetricks 20171222-next - sha256sum: 01ebb56d22f54467343700eedfe283d82a47e67bbb6c2d68b7da743f41bb78a3 with wine-2.19 (Staging) and WINEARCH=win64
Executing w_do_call dotnet452
Executing load_dotnet452
This package (dotnet452) may not fully work on a 64-bit installation. 32-bit prefixes may work better.
Executing cabextract -q -q -v
cabextract version 1.5
Executing w_do_call remove_mono
Executing load_remove_mono
./winetricks: line 8813: /usr/bin/wine6464: No such file or directory
Mono does not appear to be installed.
Working around wine bug 34803
./winetricks: line 8822: /usr/bin/wine6464: No such file or directory
./winetricks: line 8825: /usr/bin/wine6464: No such file or directory
Executing rm -f /home/****/ed-wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32/mscoree.dll
Executing w_do_call dotnet40
Executing load_dotnet40
This package (dotnet40) may not fully work on a 64-bit installation. 32-bit prefixes may work better.
dotnet40 does not yet fully work or install on wine. Caveat emptor.
Working around wine bug 42701
On 64-bit, you'll run into https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42701 (missing api-ms-win-core-winrt-roparameterizediid-l1-1-0.dll.RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID
./winetricks: line 8813: /usr/bin/wine6464: No such file or directory
./winetricks: line 8822: /usr/bin/wine6464: No such file or directory
./winetricks: line 8825: /usr/bin/wine6464: No such file or directory
Executing w_do_call winxp
Executing load_winxp
Setting Windows version to winxp
Executing /usr/bin/wine64 regedit C:\windows\Temp\_winxp\set-winver.reg
Executing /usr/bin/wine6464 regedit C:\windows\Temp\_winxp\set-winver.reg
./winetricks: line 353: /usr/bin/wine6464: No such file or directory
Note: command /usr/bin/wine6464 regedit C:\windows\Temp\_winxp\set-winver.reg returned status 127. Aborting.

How did you get this stuff installed to get the launcher working in 64 bit? Why does it keep adding an extra 64 to everything. I'm know that is not a real file. Nothing on my system is working as far as wine goes.

I manually copied wine64 and named it wine6464:

WINEPREFIX=~/ed-wine WINE=/usr/bin/wine64 ./winetricks dotnet452 corefonts quartz vcrun2012
You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. Note that many verbs only install 32-bit versions of packages. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.
Using winetricks 20171222-next - sha256sum: 01ebb56d22f54467343700eedfe283d82a47e67bbb6c2d68b7da743f41bb78a3 with wine-2.19 (Staging) and WINEARCH=win64
Executing w_do_call dotnet452
Executing load_dotnet452
This package (dotnet452) may not fully work on a 64-bit installation. 32-bit prefixes may work better.
Executing cabextract -q -q -v
cabextract version 1.5
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:msi:internal_ui_handler internal UI not implemented for message 0x0b000000 (UI level = 5)
fixme:msi:internal_ui_handler internal UI not implemented for message 0x0b000000 (UI level = 5)
reg: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value
Executing rm -f /home/*****/ed-wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32/mscoree.dll
Executing w_do_call dotnet40
Executing load_dotnet40
This package (dotnet40) may not fully work on a 64-bit installation. 32-bit prefixes may work better.
dotnet40 does not yet fully work or install on wine. Caveat emptor.
Working around wine bug 42701
On 64-bit, you'll run into https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42701 (missing api-ms-win-core-winrt-roparameterizediid-l1-1-0.dll.RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID
Executing w_do_call winxp
Executing load_winxp
Setting Windows version to winxp
Executing /usr/bin/wine64 regedit C:\windows\Temp\_winxp\set-winver.reg
Executing /usr/bin/wine6464 regedit C:\windows\Temp\_winxp\set-winver.reg
Running /usr/bin/wineserver -w. This will hang until all wine processes in prefix=/home/****/ed-wine terminate

I'll work on this later. I'm actually sick atm and it's really hard for me to concentrate.

https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22475

Last edited:
Is anyone else having problems with mono. It is installed but everything says it doesn't exist... I can't figure it out. I have 4.71 do I need to regress back to an older version? It won't let me uninstall the current version or add a new one. I have no idea what to do here..

I also keep getting this:

Could you open winetricks with an editor and take a look at line 8826?

Could you open winetricks with an editor and take a look at line 8826?

Line 8826

"${WINE_ARCH}" reg delete "HKLM\\Software\\Microsoft\\NET Framework Setup\\NDP\\v4" /f || true

Entire chunk it is involved with.

w_metadata remove_mono settings \
title_uk="Видалити вбудоване wine-mono" \
title="Remove builtin wine-mono"

load_remove_mono()
{
mono_uuid="$("${WINE_ARCH}" uninstaller --list | grep Mono | cut -f1 -d\|)"
if test "$mono_uuid"; then
"${WINE_ARCH}" uninstaller --remove "$mono_uuid"
else
w_warn "Mono does not appear to be installed."
fi

# FIXME: verify on pristine Windows XP:
if w_workaround_wine_bug 34803; then
"${WINE_ARCH}" reg delete 'HKLM\\Software\\Microsoft\\.NETFramework\\v2.0.50727\\SBSDisabled' /f
fi

"${WINE_ARCH}" reg delete "HKLM\\Software\\Microsoft\\NET Framework Setup\\NDP\\v3.5" /f || true
"${WINE_ARCH}" reg delete "HKLM\\Software\\Microsoft\\NET Framework Setup\\NDP\\v4" /f || true

w_try rm -f "$W_WINDIR_UNIX/system32/mscoree.dll"
}

Oddly enough I ran the command to install those 4 winetrick things and it is actually installing .net.. NO idea! Struggling with corefonts though...

SWEET! Only installed .net and vcrun2012 and the launcher is up. On to the next test. 8)

Last edited:
Well, it seems wine 3.0 rc4 is tons of bugs and winetricks is no better at the moment :D Tried yesterday with no huge success.

See 4750 line with WINE64="${WINE}64" and remove 64 there.

Wine 3.0 seems have issues between win64 and wineserver.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where the xml file is for the gaphics settings for 64bit elite? It's not in the same place as 32bit elite. I need to change it from full screen mode.

Normally it's in:
/home/*****/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Elite_Dangerousx32/drive_c/users/*****/Local Settings/Application Data/Frontier Developments/Elite Dangerous/Options/Graphics/

Seems to be missing from the horizons version or something...

So those don't use the same xml. Anyone know how to change it manually?

Edit: I got to the same point and it said I had a network connection failure also. It went past all of the shader loadings though.

Last edited:
I found a config file in the 64bit stuff but it's not affecting the actual resolution or full screen abilities..

/home/****/ed-wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Elite Dangerous/Products/elite-dangerous-64/AppConfig.xml

Has anyone found the correct file for the 64 bit client?

I found a config file in the 64bit stuff but it's not affecting the actual resolution or full screen abilities..

/home/****/ed-wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Elite Dangerous/Products/elite-dangerous-64/AppConfig.xml

Has anyone found the correct file for the 64 bit client?

I've not got round to this yet but am itching to do so.

One thing - bit of a brutish hack - would be to move AppConfig.xml sideways (to say AppConfig.xml.orig), then see if it refuses to launch - then you'll know that it is actually accessing that file. If it still works I'd be scratching my head. Sorry to not provide any more help than this but it's a start maybe.

Post Edit: If you haven't already done so you could try the find command:

find /home/****/ed-wine/drive_c/ -name AppConfig.xml

or (for a more general search):

find /home/****/ed-wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Elite Dangerous -name \*.xml

... where you replace **** with your real user name, e.g. /home/andy etc.

Don't paste it in directly - bash will get annoyed with unescaped spaces. Best to start typing find /home/[andy]/ed then hit <TAB> and it should auto complete for you - keep doing that down the directories and the spaces will get escaped by bash appropriately.

Last edited:
I actually got some odd behavior with these. I started it once and it went full screen. After it messed up my desktop resolution so it's scrolling around the desktop I restarted and it actually started up in windows mode. It may be th einitial launch that does this wrong. Afterwords it may do windowed. Although I'm going to test again. Maybe it just needed to load it once.

I redid the bottle. Maybe it fixed it. I'm going to relog and see if it still goes windowed after I get normal desktop parameters.

I don't know what I did. But it's now starting windowed in the 1280x720 I told it too. There is also a similar file in the 32bit section of the same name with the launcher for the demo.

It's showing the message line on the bottom and getting the CRC failed during the shader loading.

Edit: Does anyone know how to fix all the missing stuff on the launcher. I've managed to randomly hit the options text but it's hard with everything missing.

I was going to look at this stuff:

https://support.frontier.co.uk/kb/faq.php?id=78
https://support.frontier.co.uk/kb/faq.php?id=343

Assuming any of it is useful that is.

fixme:d3d11:shdr_handler Unhandled chunk "RDEF".
fixme:d3d11:shdr_handler Unhandled chunk "STAT".

I was doing stuff with another game and we figured out they just need a regedit or something to give it a name to use... Or something like that. Is that what is happening here? I think it was FFXI, FFXIV, or STO.

It had to do with assigning missing DWORDs in the registry. It might remove some bugs on some level. Does anyone know where to stick the dword in the registry. We could put dwords for RDEF and STAT and see if it helps.

Last edited:
Known issues

Current status quo: ED 32-bit freezes during introductionary video, ED 64-bit (EDH) fails with CRC error during shader compiling introduction

* ED Launcher parts of info panes disappear/appear (all Wine versions)
* ED Horizons 64-bit version having CRC error - (Wine 2.13)
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43464
* ED main menu not working (Wine 2.11)
* ED 32-bit client freezing during opening video (Wine 2.12/2.13)
* ED 32-bit client launches with 3D meshes, but no textures and shaders (Wine 2.10)
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43162

Fixmes (frequently seen fixme errors which might be required to be fixed for ED to run properly)
* fixme:nls:GetUserGeoID GEOCLASS_REGION not handled yet

I noticed from the bug reports that 64 bit version failed to load a number of DLLs. Do those DLLs also fail to load for the 32 bit version? If the 32 bit version doesn't report the same, perhaps the CRC error could be to do with missing libraries?

Probably far from the mark but just thought I'd ask.

Top Bottom