The epic win of Beyond

I think the direction beyond is taking is the right direction, but I worry that they won't execute it properly. Mainly when it comes to the engineering changes, I think grandfathering God-rolls and requiring you to roll all the previous grades first are two potentially disastrous decisions.

I dont care too much about grandfathering god rolls. But making everyone start from scratch with engineers and making it so you have to rank up every module is absolute crap. You should be able to keep your rank with engineers that you have and not change the ranking to every module. Its . In real life an engineer doesn't ask you to bring them all this just to get them to make you something that maybe worse than you have. Engineers want money and supply everything else. Lol. And in real life if there was ranking with an engineer it would be more likely that it would give you discounts. Not better products each time you use them. They do what you want if its possible and if you pay enough.

Well that's one way of taking criticism. Personally, I'd have a think about what was going wrong and try to improve things. That's what developers *do*. It's part of the job.
If the only thing you have to post on a game’s forum is criticism than why are you playing it? In the hopes that the developers will thing about what you think is wrong and try to “improve” the game to suit your tastes?
I am a developer or was. Constructive criticism is good. Criticism based on your tastes of how a game should be because you and your friends think that’s what is “good” for the game, is not. And no it’s not their job to take your criticism. Their job is to develop a game whether you like it or not.

Back to the topic. I like the changes to Engineers (I have criticized the RNGineer model before), de-beigification and the new chieftain (looks cool.) Don’t know about C&P, will just have to find out.

If you were a developer. You log into your OWN games forums and read thread after threads after threads that go "fail", "suck", "open letter of angst" - what emotion will fill your head? Blase? Morale booster (that would be really disturbing)? Resignation? FacePalm? Take that over and over and over again over years - If I were the developer - It would put ME down and my morale. As a human - its a natural sequence of progression, so no I did not arrive at this conclusion at whim. Its called Human Nature and understanding it sometimes not that difficult. Unless these rules don't apply which clearly it doesnt to you, siding with the standard detractors who chose to whine about a feature which HASNT even been released yet : AND to add icing to the cake- you chose to question the thread that tried a positive spin on it and in process finding a flaw with the only idea this thread tries to portray : Positivity - so you have my kudos. You sir, are truly a God.

That's interesting to me! I work in software development for an enterprise size solution. I've designed/developed if for tens of years so have a strong emotion tie to it.

I was out one evening, got speaking to someone, and it turns out they were currently contracting for one of our smaller clients. The chat obviously then moved around onto our software. "Yeh! They hate it!" he said.

At this point I could have ended the conversation, facepalmed, said they were in the wrong, he was mistaken. Instead I looked into it, and long story short found out what was really the issue - a matter of a number of distinct misunderstandings/oversights between us and the client (that we didn't know about) - and it got resolved!

Ultimately, if a client/user isn't happy, it's worth finding out why... Because most likely there's a reason for it. Yes, the initial language may not be ideal - eg: they were saying they hated our software, implying all of it? - but behind that, there were simply a number of distinct addressable reasons for it.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to the stream tonight. The Galnet reader will hopefully make a big difference to the ongoing Thargoid story and the graphical improvements should make planets more enticing :)

Titan1978 said:
If you were a developer. You log into your OWN games forums and read thread after threads after threads that go "fail", "suck", "open letter of angst" - what emotion will fill your head? Blase? Morale booster (that would be really disturbing)? Resignation? FacePalm? Take that over and over and over again over years - If I were the developer - It would put ME down and my morale. As a human - its a natural sequence of progression, so no I did not arrive at this conclusion at whim. Its called Human Nature and understanding it sometimes not that difficult. Unless these rules don't apply which clearly it doesnt to you, siding with the standard detractors who chose to whine about a feature which HASNT even been released yet : AND to add icing to the cake- you chose to question the thread that tried a positive spin on it and in process finding a flaw with the only idea this thread tries to portray : Positivity - so you have my kudos. You sir, are truly a God.
That's interesting to me! I work in software development for an enterprise size solution. I've designed/developed if for tens of years so have a strong emotion tie to it.

I was out one evening, got speaking to someone, and it turns out they were currently contracting for one of our smaller clients. The chat obviously then moved around onto our software. "Yeh! They hate it!" he said.

At this point I could have ended the conversation, facepalmed, said they were in the wrong, he was mistaken. Instead I looked into it, and long story short found out what was really the issue - a matter of a number of distinct misunderstandings/oversights between us and the client (that we didn't know about) - and it got resolved!

Ultimately, if a client/user isn't happy, it's worth finding out why... Because most likely there's a reason for it. Yes, the initial language may not be ideal - eg: they were saying they hated our software, implying all of it? - but behind that, there were simply a number of distinct addressable reasons for it.

I can only second that. I am also a software developer, currently working on a somewhat larger game so I am well familiar with the onslaught of posts where people express their love / hate for the game.
As a software developer I hardly ever answer as it's not my role to interface with the public but I always read. It's good to see what people think about the game.
While negativity isn't great it's always a good indicator that there's something you should probably investigate. Sometimes it's those smaller fixes that can make the players out there happy.
I also find that the larger your game gets the more people openly voicing their dismay you will get. You can never please everyone unfortunately.
The true metric if people like your game or not however is player retention. If players don't like your game they won't come back. So even if forums can be a depressing place sometimes it isn't unusual that the actual metrics you get speak another language altogether. :)
So I'm sure FD will do everything they can to make the game better by listening to the data they have. Part of which (but only a part!) are what people say on the forums...

I enjoy the game, I don't want to disappoint the developers, but it must be said that there should have been more progress in 4 years. A LOT more.

If we can control fleet carriers as a group and take them out exploring with us... well, i think i could be gone from the bubble for a looooong time.

Not before you have paid your debts :mad:

rHEVepl.jpg
[/IMG]

Well that's one way of taking criticism. Personally, I'd have a think about what was going wrong and try to improve things. That's what developers *do*. It's part of the job.

Yes, but as I understand it, this thread is not about what devs do, but what players do despite devs' best efforts. :)

They're doing a much better job than most of us would be able to that's for sure. It can't be that easy else there'd be better similar alternatives for us to choose from, but there isn't because as far as i'm aware Elite is the best one out there.

I think beyond will succeed as long as they listen to what the community wants and don't try and enforce more grind just to keep people playing for longer.

In the long run time will tell whether they can keep up with some of the new space MMO's being developed when they finally get released.

They're doing a much better job than most of us would be able to that's for sure. It can't be that easy else there'd be better similar alternatives for us to choose from, but there isn't because as far as i'm aware Elite is the best one out there.

I think beyond will succeed as long as they listen to what the community wants and don't try and enforce more grind just to keep people playing for longer.

In the long run time will tell whether they can keep up with some of the new space MMO's being developed when they finally get released.

I agree that Fdev are doing an amazing job where nobody else would risk it. Though I don't agree with one part of your post:
as long as they listen to what the community wants

That, I think, proved to be a generally bad idea. Mainly because "community wants" is a false statement. The only thing "community wants" is a good game. What that means, however, differs from person to person and while I agree that listening to the suggestions is a good thing, they should take inspiration from it, not do it. :)

That, I think, proved to be a generally bad idea. Mainly because "community wants" is a false statement. The only thing "community wants" is a good game. What that means, however, differs from person to person and while I agree that listening to the suggestions is a good thing, they should take inspiration from it, not do it. :)

indeed..... Listen to the community.

They want everyone locked to open as the only mode but also with private groups with configurable rules and full offline support that offers a plausible and indepth economy which can allow people to earn enough to afford all the ships in the game super fast but also take ages to earn loads of money to allow players to work hard for getting to the big ships over years.
Engineers need to be quick to get without grinding and flat out upgrades to reward time spent, but at the same time be balanced and allow those without them to compete. Crime and punishment must be super harsh forcing consequences and make us make decisions on how we want to be perceived by the game but equally allow players to goof around and have fun when ever we want with no lasting punishment because its a game and games should not punish.
The game needs to be a full on simulation with depth and learning needed to figure out our ships systems.... we want to feel like we are the captain of a ship and have skills to fly but at the same time the game must be super accessible and able to get stuck in right away like an arcade game.
The game should remain 1st person view as it is from our eyes only, with a vanity camera tolerated but must not be properly playable... whilst at the same time offering a full 3rd person view like warthunder where i can see everything around me
The game needs to be a full on mmo with guilds and all that stuff with npcs taking a back seat to encourage players to work together, and all content needs to be player driven, but it needs to remain primarily a game about 1 (wo)man flying their ship in a harsh hostile game where we can do everything we want on our own, and when we need help use npcs to fill the roles because we dont want other random players spoiling our game

exploration should take time to get anywhere to keep the feeling of size of the milky way and we need skills to sniff out all the bodies in a system and it take effort to travel into deep unexplored space, but it must not be a grind and we must be able to get everywhere fast because no one has time to jump solidly to get to colonia or anything

The game needs to be exactly like the DDF and kickstarter but at the same time the forum dads need to realise that that time has passed it isnt 1984 any more and that is not what people want to play, it has to have (insert 100 other features here).

to do anything less and the game will fail

------------
I think the above sums up some of what we, the playerbase want.

Last edited:
indeed..... Listen to the community.

They want everyone locked to open as the only mode but also with private groups with configurable rules and full offline support that offers a plausible and indepth economy which can allow people to earn enough to afford all the ships in the game super fast but also take ages to earn loads of money to allow players to work hard for getting to the big ships over years.

------------
I think the above sums up some of what we, the playerbase want.

Disagree with the quoted portion of your statement.

Not everyone in the community wants everyone locked to Open, only a small portion of the community wants this.

As to the Private Groups with configurable rules - Private Groups needs PvE-only rules added in order to counter the FFA PvP default because the game doesn't disallow shooting other players even when there's an agreement in place with the group. (hence the Mobius PvP "invasions"

As to the economy- personally I simply don't care. Some will always be dissatisfied no matter how many credits they're earning, and feel it's not enough.

Disagree with the quoted portion of your statement.

Not everyone in the community wants everyone locked to Open, only a small portion of the community wants this.

As to the Private Groups with configurable rules - Private Groups needs PvE-only rules added in order to counter the FFA PvP default because the game doesn't disallow shooting other players even when there's an agreement in place with the group. (hence the Mobius PvP "invasions"

As to the economy- personally I simply don't care. Some will always be dissatisfied no matter how many credits they're earning, and feel it's not enough.

I think you didn't understand our point. Mike and I were trying to show that people want different and often contradictory things in the game and therefore "listen to your community" is a bad thing to do for a developer.
There will always be people who don't like this and that, but as long as the game keeps it's design integrity together, MOST people will like it. Or at least not dislike it too much. :D
And that's a lead designer's job. Not community's

Last edited:
Me and Elite, we have our differences, but it's a game that I love and I play a lot, I'm really thankful to FD and, despite all the negativity, I'm still looking forward for the Beyond update, being the exploration overhaul the most expected feature to me.

I think you didn't understand our point. Mike and I were trying to show that people want different and often contradictory things in the game and therefore "listen to your community" is a bad thing to do for a developer.
There will always be people who don't like this and that, but as long as the game keeps it's design integrity together, MOST people will like it. Or at least not dislike it too much. :D

indeed... cant rep again but this is spot on.

Oh, I'm in complete agreement that FD should stop listening to the "mob" as far as game direction and design decisions are concerned.

There's a big difference between suggestions being made and considered- and demands being made by a mob.

It's FD's game, and should remain thus- if anything, when any decisions are made the result should always give MORE options, and not less. :)

(I repped the post for you, Mike :))

Mike and I were trying to show that people want different and often contradictory things in the game and therefore "listen to your community" is a bad thing to do for a developer.

irony is often overlooked.

that said, although i agree a game developer should not bother about the noise ... who do they actually listen to? if you look at the 3+ years of development (since release) it's been a quite erratic direction, more of a roller coaster. it clearly sometimes seems there is noone there.

and if you listen to the ceo, he seems to be living in his personal fantasy and describing a totally different game.

so yes, clear ideas, focus and persistence. but ... please! clear ideas, focus and persistence for real!

Beyond is a win because it will make game better for those who actually play it.
/mic drop /thread
This. Lot of +rep incoming.

lol, that's a lot of faith. maybe wait at least until the 25th? :D

also, define 'win', 'better' and 'actually play'.
then i recommend a quick check to the dictionary about 'because'. it's used to express a causal relation i see nowhere in the phrase.

know what? i'm gonna rep him anyway, i'm just a contradictory spirit.

Top Bottom