Module Storage

Please, please, please can we have more module storage?

It's beginning to get really tedious having to switch ships every 5 minutes to access modules and weapons that i've had to store in storage ships. Having to transport an entire ship (and wait the required amount of transfer time) or fly 400LY because i'm at a CG and have left something back on a storage ship.

With all the engineered weapon types I like to experiment with different loadouts but I hate to throw away a good set of weapons just so I can try something else. This is only going to become more of a problem with the new tech broker and even more engineering options yet I haven't really seen anything about this mentioned as part of beyond.

I don't understand why this hasn't already been done as it seems like such an easy change. Maybe it has something to do with data amounts and requiring more server storage but if people are just going to buy ships as storage anyway then why not sell actual storage space? At least then we can have easy access to our modules.

Swapping modules directly from ship to ship is also something that I think would be a great QOL improvement that to the layman seems like it would be a change that would offer good value to development time.

Sandro recently stated on a livestream that they won't increase it for gameplay reasons. I'm not sure whether he's aware that we currently use ships for storage so it would largely be a QoL thing.

Sandro recently stated on a livestream that they won't increase it for gameplay reasons. I'm not sure whether he's aware that we currently use ships for storage so it would largely be a QoL thing.

OMG, does he not realise there's players out there that have literally 100s of ships just for storage?! :p

I'm currently on about 50/60, I'm gonna have to buy a t10 soon, just for storage purposes.

I have never needed more module storage. I have run out a couple of times, but at that point I go through the storage and see what I have. I can usually dump at least half of it without a second thought.

Why are you storing so many modules instead of using them on ships? If I do a certain activity regularly, I build a ship for it. I don't keep the same ship and swap modules around; I'd find that tedious as I change activity quite regularly. I find that the only things I need to store are a handful of prismatic shields and a few more engineered modules. The only ship that I have extra modules for is the Cutter, so that I can swap it between fighting and cargo configuration. All the cheaper ships I find it easier in the long run to build to task.

OMG, does he not realise there's players out there that have literally 100s of ships just for storage?! :p

I'm currently on about 50/60, I'm gonna have to buy a t10 soon, just for storage purposes.

Wow, you have hoarding issues. :)

While I do find it a pain at times dealing with the 60 unit limit, I would tend to agree with Sandro on this one.

I feel completely the opposite about all the other storage limits such as Materials and Data, but thankfully those ARE getting a major Buff in 3.0 and I literally can not wait for that to go live in the Beta on Thursday.

100s of ships?

If true, that strikes me as a bit odd and definitely an outlier. I can not see any logical reason why anyone playing this game would need to own that many ships. Storage or otherwise, you've got issues. ;)

Last edited:
100s of ships?

If true, that strikes me as a bit odd and definitely an outlier. I can not see any logical reason why anyone playing this game would need to own that many ships.
well, sith engineers, it’s possible you’ll want to literally own housands of modules.

I think a nice compromise would be to give us a fairly significant cost to increasing module storage, like 50 mil for an extra 60 storage. It’d be cheaper than what we have right now :D

I feel completely the opposite about all the other storage limits such as Materials and Data, but thankfully those ARE getting a major Buff in 3.0 and I literally can not wait for that to go live in the Beta on Thursday.

How long do you reckon it will be before someone complains about even that not being enough. 2-3 days at most after the live version drops before the first post about it...

I have just started buying duplicate hulls,instead of dedicated storage ships, and keeping each variant i want active so theres no or minimal reassigning needed.

Sure they don't all have the best god rolled G5s but everything is decent. (It helped that when engineering i took multiple modules at once and only rerolled the worst once everything had G5 on it)

well, sith engineers, it’s possible you’ll want to literally own housands of modules.

I think a nice compromise would be to give us a fairly significant cost to increasing module storage, like 50 mil for an extra 60 storage. It’d be cheaper than what we have right now :D

I use the crap out of Engineers and I see no reason for that level of excess.

Different strokes I guess, but I definitely would find keeping track of that many modules a total nightmare. Hardly what I consider fun or at all necessary. ;)

I think if they expanded it any more than where it is, it would require a more capable system of categorizing modules and whatnot. Probably something they don't want to get into.

Last edited:
To be honest from gameplay perspective i do not get why this limits have to exist at all. The only reason would be to limit variety and experimentation as much as possible, but... somehow it does not sound right.
This storage limits, from materials and data to modules and ships per station are the thing, that make me stop playing elite more frequently then anything else. Like... i want to experiment with few more different weapons for one of my ships. I start thinking what i need for it and realize that first of all i will have to figure out what out of over9000 different materials and data we have i need the least and drop it to get some free space in storage, then i will have to find where to stick few modules from module storage so that i can use module transfer... go to buy another conda, realize that i've reached ship limit for current station and... at this point i just hit "quit to desktop" and forget about original idea. Why does it have to be this way? Why so much headache and inconvenience? Simply to make players grind for the same thing they sold/dropped 5 minutes ago again and again?

Last edited:
100s of ships?

If true, that strikes me as a bit odd and definitely an outlier. I can not see any logical reason why anyone playing this game would need to own that many ships. Storage or otherwise, you've got issues. ;)

I have 11 ships, and am about 50/60 in my current module storage. I know someone in my wing who has about 100 ships, most of these are used for storage.

Does it not strike you as odd that we can have 30 odd ships at each shipyard in the galaxy, yet we can only have 60 module storage throughout the whole of the galaxy?

One of ED's many annoying inconsistencies, no doubt promotes the need for people to buy extra accounts; one account in the bubble and one in colonia.

To be honest from gameplay perspective i do not get why this limits have to exist at all. The only reason would be to limit variety and experimentation as much as possible, but... somehow it does not sound right.
This storage limits, from materials and data to modules and ships per station are the thing, that make me stop playing elite more frequently then anything else. Like... i want to experiment with few more different weapons for one of my ships. I start thinking what i need for it and realize that first of all i will have to figure out what out of over9000 different materials and data we have i need the least and drop it to get some free space in storage, then i will have to find where to stick few modules from module storage so that i can use module transfer... go to buy another conda, realize that i've reached ship limit for current station and... at this point i just hit "quit to desktop" and forget about original idea. Why does it have to be this way? Why so much headache and inconvenience? Simply to make players grind for the same thing they sold/dropped 5 minutes ago again and again?

It seriously sounds like you have a hoarding problem. And as per Sandro's comments on module storage, it's pretty clear there is no role in the game for which you are supposed to need to store this many modules. Buy one ship, equip it, if you need to fulfil a different role buy a second ship and equip it accordingly again.

And before I hear about "the grind", you don't need grade 5 modules of all your ships. In fact you don't even need engineered modules on any ship.

Last edited:
Does it not strike you as odd that we can have 30 odd ships at each shipyard in the galaxy, yet we can only have 60 module storage throughout the whole of the galaxy?

You do know that you don't lose money when you sell a module? Most modules I find easier to buy and sell as I need (e.g. cargo racks, passenger cabins). It is only the few that are difficult to find, or that have been engineered, that need to be stored.

It strikes me as odd that you could have 60 modules but no ship to put them on... :D

How long do you reckon it will be before someone complains about even that not being enough. 2-3 days at most after the live version drops before the first post about it...

With apparently a capacity of 100 per material as well as data, I would hope there wouldn't be. Compared to the current version where you are looking at 15-20 per popular materials/data for engineering, I consider the increase pretty significant.

I also really like the ability to see how many of any given material you already have when checking debris fields in your CONTACTS pane. THAT is something I have wanted to see since day one.

No more left to right, left to right crap when trying to determine if a debris field has anything you are out of or low on.

Last edited:
For most things it isn’t an issue, but I really like to keep some cargo racks, passenger cabins, etc. around in addition to my shield booster, hrps, weapons, etc. In all honesty, having to fly 100 ly and travel to several stations just to refit is really annoying when I want to use a single station as my base of operations, which I’m assuming quite a lot of the players do, at least those in player groups.

For instance, I’m about to buy an fdl and I already have several builds in mind using about 20 different weapons in total. Sure, I could simply take them from different ships, but I thought one of the points of module storage was to make outfitting easier. Having to swap to a bunch of different ships, take out all the modules (if you have the space...), and then put them back in is honestly a nightmare with how long it takes and how boring it is.

Last edited:
While I do find it a pain at times dealing with the 60 unit limit, I would tend to agree with Sandro on this one.

I don't even understand what his point is - unless he doesn't want to remove the gameplay of moving modules from ship to ship. In reality it's a QoL thing for me.

I use the crap out of Engineers and I see no reason for that level of excess.

It seriously sounds like you have a hoarding problem. And as per Sandro's comments on module storage, it's pretty clear there is no role in the game for which you are supposed to need to store this many modules. Buy one ship, equip it, if you need to fulfil a different role buy a second ship and equip it accordingly again.

And before I hear about "the grind", you don't need grade 5 modules of all your ships. In fact you don't even need engineered modules on any ship.

Say you wait four weeks for Imperial Hammers. You have an FDL so perhaps want five of them. You don't yet know which blueprint will work best, and there are five blueprints. So you buy 25 of them - after all, you don't want to find out later that you need more and then have to wait another month.

Or you roll a bunch of powerplants with different power/heat ratios. You want to keep the best ones for the future - maybe four of them. Multiply that by 3 different PP sizes and that's another dozen right there.

etc etc

I don't see it as hoarding, to me it's just common sense.

Top Bottom