PMFs: data, charts, and the coming galactic player wars...

I notice that the essence of my observation is not grasped, and I notice that perhaps you are not aware of everything.
Please do not draw conclusions without fully knowing the commitment of others in trying to make the game enjoyable for everyone.
Currently tied to a chair, manfully resisting the temptation.

.... There's always a way to contact each other (Welcome to the Internet!) but some want to have things served on a silver platter and look squarely at you if you don't shove the information down their throat in a heartbeat. These kinds of persons are not worthy of your attention in the first place....

A tad harsh considering some PMFs will be console only and some will be school / work based so without the need to have an internet presence. For example a clan that starts in other games that have splintered off and now have a subset of them playing in Elite.

we have one formal faction and also assist some abandoned Alliance PMFs

All Alliance NPC factions.

Make up your mind :rolleyes:

There is no requirement or rule that states that both Wing and PMF have to be named the same or that the affiliation of the two needs to be known to everyone.

When another PMF comes close or is implemented nearby, they can establish contact and work things out. Keeping things between neighbours so to speak, and more isn't needed.

There's always a way to contact each other (Welcome to the Internet!) but some want to have things served on a silver platter and look squarely at you if you don't shove the information down their throat in a heartbeat. These kinds of persons are not worthy of your attention in the first place.

There was recently a post about new & small PMF's not doing their research about whose space they were settling and how this was an inconvenience to the larger groups.

Seems to me these larger groups aren't helping anyone by being deliberately evasive, or can't make up their minds, about their PMF-Player Group relationship.

Anyway, as Murdoc says, us BgS minnows aren't worthy of your attention in the first place.

A tad harsh considering some PMFs will be console only and some will be school / work based so without the need to have an internet presence. For example a clan that starts in other games that have splintered off and now have a subset of them playing in Elite.

We have two PS4 only PMFs in our neighbourhood. Googling got us the Discord information of one, and within that one we got a functioning link to the channel of the other. No problem at all.

And you're wanting to tell me that in this day and age someone would play an online game like Elite, going through the trials and tribulations to get their PMF inserted and then have absolutely no presence on the Internet at all? Not using Discord or any other way to communicate when being online?

Hard to imagine for me.

Last edited:
Make up your mind :rolleyes:

They are not mutually exclusive, we consider that we have a broad brief supporting the Alliance wherever and as best we can. This is achieved through main factions, side projects and boosting and defending Alliance factions wherever they may be.

We have two PS4 only PMFs in our neighbourhood. Googling got us the Discord information of one, and within that Discord we got a functioning link to the Discord channel of the other. No problem at all.

How would they find out that Ghost Legion is the player group behind Sovereign Justice Collective?

Genuine question and I would appreciate a genuine answer, Ryan.

And you're wanting to tell me that in this day and age someone would play an online game like Elite, going through the trials and tribulations to get their PMF inserted and then have absolutely no presence on the Internet at all? Not using Discord or any other way to communicate when being online?

Hard to imagine for me.
There are at least three PMFs in the Colonia region I have no idea who runs them ... and that's in a region where the PMFs are more easily contactable than normal, and it required a significant effort to get one.

There are at least three PMFs in the Colonia region I have no idea who runs them ... and that's in a region where the PMFs are more easily contactable than normal, and it required a significant effort to get one.

If that is the case then they shouldn't be surprised if someone is going to steamroll them. It's one thing if you're going for a bit of mystery, but to completely keep the surroundings in the dark when the need arises for to establish communications? That either means complete ignorance or trying to be disruptive on purpose.

We always kept (and keep) our neighbours monitored, just to make sure trouble isn't headed our way. If one doesn't do that then no complaints are allowed if things go sideways in a hurry.

We have two PS4 only PMFs in our neighbourhood. Googling got us the Discord information of one, and within that one we got a functioning link to the channel of the other. No problem at all.

Hard to imagine for me.

Depends on what you define as presence, I guess?

We have a "secret" Facebook group which I post updates to, but that's it. Even then, it's not regularly read by our group; that exists just so if someone happens to be online, they can have a look and see what they can do. No discord, no Inara, nothing. Most of our discussions happen in-person, or in-game.

^ As in, Facebook-secret, only members can find the group and see posts.

EDIT: I put up a page on the Factions wiki for RP value, but I never had an intention of putting any contacts on there... so I put a link to PM me on the forums on request of the site runner (Olivia?)

Last edited:
Depends on what you define as presence, I guess?

We have a "secret" Facebook group which I post updates to, but that's it. Even then, it's not regularly read by our group; that exists just so if someone happens to be online, they can have a look and see what they can do. No discord, no Inara, nothing. Most of our discussions happen in-person, or in-game.

^ As in, Facebook-secret, only members can find the group and see posts.

EDIT: I put up a page on the Factions wiki for RP value, but I never had an intention of putting any contacts on there... so I put a link to PM me on the forums on request of the site runner (Olivia?)

Interesting that. Yet what I'm mostly aiming at with the term presence is that when the need arises you have a way to contact each other (Wing to Wing) to discuss formalities regarding each others BGS. Some might be easier or harder to contact, but there's a way.

And that what it's all about, for me at least.

Interesting that. Yet what I'm mostly aiming at with the term presence is that when the need arises you have a way to contact each other (Wing to Wing) to discuss formalities regarding each others BGS. Some might be easier or harder to contact, but there's a way.

And that what it's all about, for me at least.

So again, I ask you the question:

If a player group wants to get in touch with a representative of Sovereign Justice Collective, how would they go about that?

So I take it by the complete lack of response that Sovereign Justice Collective are too aloof to be contacted by others, preferring to dictate communications on their own terms.

Fair enough, it's pretty much how I run my show too, but I don't come across as a hypocrite for saying things like;

It's one thing if you're going for a bit of mystery, but to completely keep the surroundings in the dark when the need arises for to establish communications? That either means complete ignorance or trying to be disruptive on purpose.

Try to practice what you preach.

New PMF eye candy! Data from June 10th data dump from eddb.io/api

ZgoWzMG.png

By allegiance (1 system controlled minimum, or it is very hard to read)
05H3Pfd.png

It helps for this chart to keep the first chart of the previous post in mind. This scatter plot shows faction by assets and systems controlled. To show how many factions are "at the same point" (that is, have the same number of systems and assets controlled), the transparent blue circles are used, with the size indicating the volume. This shows that the most common situation for a PMF is to not control any system, nor own any dockable asset.

Not also that a number of large factions are procedural but adopted by player groups, as either official or unofficial PMFs. A faction is included in this analysis when it is marked as a PMF on eddb.io.

If a particular position has only one faction, its allegiance color is shown. Black dots have more than one faction at that spot. Each bubble's size is based on the number of systems controlled.

DunEIdl.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom