In-Development E.D.I.S.O.N - Orbital and surface navigation / Waypoints

There are logfiles at C:\Users\<YourUsername>\AppData\Local\Ashragon Inc\E.D.I.S.O.N\3.0.0.0
Please send them to me using the email address found in the readme.txt.

We will! [yesnod] And thanks for the kudos.

Don t need to send you the log since nothing beside that inside :
2018-04-25 15:00:25.6692 INFO E.D.I.S.O.N. initializing...
2018-04-25 15:00:25.6907 INFO Installed windows version: Windows 10 Pro 1709
2018-04-25 15:04:21.6302 INFO E.D.I.S.O.N. closed.

It cannot get /update my position.

Last edited:
So I downloaded and gave this tool a whirl. It is pretty awesome I have to say.... So much easier to hear directions than finding the little numbers on screen and comparing them to the compass.

However...... Why do we need to enter the radius? Can this not be read from the logs instead?

*maybe* you could consider having some api integration with EDD so it calls EDISON when you enter orbit, and passes Co-ordinates and radius as parameters. The existing compass in EDD seems to be a few hundred km of for me and Edison is so much better. This way it would save you searching logs for details since edd already knows.

So I downloaded and gave this tool a whirl. It is pretty awesome I have to say.... So much easier to hear directions than finding the little numbers on screen and comparing them to the compass.

However...... Why do we need to enter the radius? Can this not be read from the logs instead?

*maybe* you could consider having some api integration with EDD so it calls EDISON when you enter orbit, and passes Co-ordinates and radius as parameters. The existing compass in EDD seems to be a few hundred km of for me and Edison is so much better. This way it would save you searching logs for details since edd already knows.

Hey disorganise, happy to hear that you like E.D.I.S.O.N.

Thank you for your suggestions.
I have already thought about reading the radius from the logs, but so far I've been too lazy to implement it. :D

API access/integration is a great idea. I will see if I can find the time to do it.

Having a little trouble with Edison atm.
Was reading the help files ... Check the “Overlay“ checkbox and click “Run
Where is the overlay checkbox ???

I am sorry, but the help files and video tutorials are outdated at the moment.
I haven't had time to update them.

The basic steps to use Edison are:
1. Setup path to 'status.json' file.
2. Enter destination latitude, longitude and planetary radius.
3. Hit 'Start Navigation'

The overlay should then appear on screen. It can be moved around by clicking and dragging the text.

I will try to create a new video tutorial and/or helpfiles till next weekend.

I am sorry, but the help files and video tutorials are outdated at the moment.
I haven't had time to update them.

The basic steps to use Edison are:
1. Setup path to 'status.json' file.
2. Enter destination latitude, longitude and planetary radius.
3. Hit 'Start Navigation'

The overlay should then appear on screen. It can be moved around by clicking and dragging the text.

I will try to create a new video tutorial and/or helpfiles till next weekend.

Thanks !
It really is an awesome tool. Worked fine for me initially, but now I'm only getting voice commands, the overlay not showing up on ED screen however I did see it on desktop.

This is such a great tool! I never really had much trouble with finding coordinates manually, but this is a bit faster and I really like the voiced guide. IMO it adds to the immersion a lot.

I was already maintaining a list of surface locations of things for myself to visit, but I've expanded it and added the required details for Edison. Here is a link to a public copy, 1st tab is for Edison export, the 2nd tab is the same list but including all details/loot/notes and relevant links to EDDB/EDSM/Canonn/etc. The third tab has a pastebin link with a JSON download, since that's how Edison stores waypoints, with some instructions how to replace the waypoints file (until there's an import function I figure this is the easiest).

My list is still very much a work in progress, but it should have most if not all known crash sites and abandoned settlements in there. I also listed a few barnacle sites that give 5 Meta Alloys, as well as all known Mega Barnacle locations. Still need to work some more on Space Pumpkins, Braintrees and Bark Mounds but there are a few. Haven't even really started on volcanic activity sites yet. There are 148 locations listed currently, although I just added a bunch on the same planet because CMDR Baton found one planet with loads of Space Pumpkins, Bark Mounds, Braintrees and Geysers. :eek:

Some comments/suggestions on the tool:
  • In the waypoint manager: I suggest renaming Planet to Body, and PlanetaryRadius to Radius (Just to keep this all the same as on EDDB/EDSM/Etc...).
  • The waypoint manager seems very slow, especially when ED is running. Is this from the program constantly reading/parsing the game's JSON files? Like when I open the waypoint manager I can see it slowly fill the list row by row, this probably could be optimized somehow right? Without ED running it seems to be quick but still noticeable. I doubt it's my PC, i7-8700K should be fast enough.
  • Possibly related; Is storing the waypoints in JSON needed? I noticed it doesn't keep the list in memory but saves/reopens the waypoints file every time you open the manager, probably parsing the entire json list every time. Aside from the memory thing, wouldn't storing it as CVS be easier? For users at least it would be easier to edit cvs manually instead of minified json. But also thinking about an import feature to add things easily instead of replacing it all. Since GoogleDocs spreadsheets can't export to JSON but can to CVS... just throwing ideas out. Though if a good import function is possible and things get optimized a bit it doesn't really matter how it's stored.
  • Waypoint Manager throws an error if you leave lat/long field empty. Figured this out after manually replacing the waypoints json file with my list including some entries that didn't have coords, in that case it completely clears the waypoints file.

Last edited:
Hey DaftMav,

great work with your waypoint collection.

As for your suggestions:
  • Good suggestion. I will put this on my todo list.
  • To be honest, I never tested EDISON with a "large" waypoint file. I will look into this and see if I can optimize things.
  • No, it is not necessary to use JSON. I've just never used it before and used it out of curiosity. ;) I'll see if I can speed things up.
  • Oooh, gonna squash that bug!

Regarding the import feature:
This is a great idea. Will implement, if I can find the time.

Hmm, this got me thinking...
As far as I recall Google has an API to access spreadsheets in Google Docs.
I could use this, to create a database where Commanders can add waypoints and they will be shared with all EDISON users.
Or maybe I can enable EDISON to access existing spreadsheets.
Gotta think about this some more.

I only heard about this tool today.

I just want to say Thank You!

Navigating manually was so frustrating, that I gave up after finding Dav's Hope.

Now all the cool stuff to visit has been opened up to me again. I'll be visiting crashed Thargoids, Anacondas, Alien Ruins and Barnacle sights Like the space tourist I always wanted to be. [yesnod][up]

Or maybe I can enable EDISON to access existing spreadsheets.

This would be great as a bonus, dunno how stable google API access is but don't want to depend on it to work probably. And a default sheet with the main stuff is fine (feel free to copy from my list) but I'm sure people will also want to have their own personal waypoints lists too. With import or linking a sheet means anyone can use their own sheet with favourite spots, and be able to switch between different sheets. Like if you head out to Colonia you could make your own separate list for that region, especially with a long list it starts getting a bit inconvenient to find the specific waypoint you want.

There's another idea I had about this issue though, maybe if Edison can grab your current location from the game logs/live json stuff (it probably gives the galactic x,y,z right?). Then you could use it to sort your waypoints by current distance to them and then it wouldn't matter if half of the list is clutter that's 22 kly away. But that would mean having the galactic x,y,z numbers for all the waypoints and then calculate the distance to sol, although the formula itself is fairly simple. Being able to sort like that would definitely give another advantage over any static spreadsheet of locations.

I was just thinking about this after I started adding the galactic x,y,z to my spreadsheet to calculate 'distance to sol'. On my spreadsheet I temporarily have two columns of it until I've added all the x,y,z numbers, just copy/pasting those from EDDB. But now I'm wondering if the EDDB or EDSM API isn't able to give x,y,z for any known system instead, the less manual input the better probably. Important to keep it easy to use.

In case this might be interesting to do, the distance formula between two x,y,z sets is like this:
Code:
SQRT( (waypointX - currentX)^2 + (waypointY - currentY)^2 + (waypointZ - currentZ)^2 )
Distance to Sol is a bit easier, as Sol is at 0,0,0 so you can just omit those and do this: (pretty much the formula I use on my spreadsheet now)
Code:
SQRT( waypointX^2 + waypointY^2 + waypointZ^2 )

I'd be happy with just an import function and/or the googledocs API thing so I can link to my spreadsheets. There's a lot of interesting stuff possible with all this, but I get programming it all takes a ton of time too so hehe. :cool:

I suppose everybody who uses this thinks so, and many will have said so, but this should be in the game.
Wonderful.

I have now used it for a few trips and would suggest.
a) a load / save database to a CSV file would be nice (I know already suggested)
b) a visited flag in the Database so I could load a list of surface sites I want to visit and then tick them off as I go. With a nice mark/unmark visited button on the interface.

C

A little help

Hi came back to elite after a long time came by your plugin have to say love it helps a lot on planets.
have small problem with it all works but hud marker that should be on screen in game is behind game screen on desktop not in game ?? prob me not setup right if any can help would be nice

many thanks for any replys:D:D

Top Bottom