EDProfiler - A New Display Switcher/Robust Settings Profiler/Switcher/Detector!

OK, thanks again. Perhaps ill put it in the fdev suggestion box. " once oculus sensor turns off, revert to 2D on main screen"!

Gosh, that's an interesting idea. Do any other VR games (which also support non VR) do that?

Actually, ARE there any other VR games which also work non-VR?

Gosh, that's an interesting idea. Do any other VR games (which also support non VR) do that?

Actually, ARE there any other VR games which also work non-VR?

only one I play that springs is project cars 2, but im sure there must be others.

I'm off to find the fdev suggestion box!

First of all, thanks for the great program, especially with the option of real black in vr, what a difference! However, any file or destination folder seems to be corrupt. What do I have to delete where to make sure that everything is in default state?

Yep I've had exactly the same problem. Downloaded the installer, it threw an exception "Root Element Missing" and everything after that was just a cascade of broken-ness.
Seems like there's an issue in the installer for anyone who is trying to install it for the first time?

I'm trying to use this tool, but I keep getting an error:

"Unhandled exception has occured..."

"Could not find a part of the path 'C\users\<name>\Documents\EDProfiler\GUIProfiles'"

I can choose to continue anyway, but I'd get errors doing the following:

Opening the GUI/HUD Colors Editor: "Input String was not in a correct format." (doesn't open anything)

Detect Current Settings: "InvalidArgument=Value of '-1' is not valid for 'index'. Parameter name: index. (continue does seem to work, I think)

Import included GUI colors: "could not find part of path 'C:\users\...\GUIProfiles\Arkku's Neon Blue-Red (avatar friendly)'."

I'm assuming I'm not installing this properly, but I can't do anything but download the installer and run it, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or how I could fix this :S.

I've tried searching through here, as well, but couldn't find anything specific from just browsing, so sorry if it is something obvious.

Yep I've had exactly the same problem. Downloaded the installer, it threw an exception "Root Element Missing" and everything after that was just a cascade of broken-ness.
Seems like there's an issue in the installer for anyone who is trying to install it for the first time?

I'm getting this one myself. Can't open the GUI/HUD editor either. Open to suggestions.

And thanks for putting this out there.

I have just published an update that should fix this for first-time installs. Please check.

I'm also experimenting with a preview for the tone mapping. Still desperate for someone who knows this stuff to offer some assistance!

FYI I've got something like this going for each pixel:

r = (r*(A*r+C*B)+D*E)/(r*(A*r+B)+D*F)) - E/F )/ *W*(A*W+C*B)+D*E)/(W*(A*W+B)+D*F)) - E/F)
(repeat for g and b)

but this seems to always give me a number somewhere around 1, rather than a sensible RGB value between 0 and 255, so I am just multiplying it by the original pixel's r (and g and b for the corresponding lines), but that doesn't seem right. I also haven't normalised for gamma ^0.45 or anything else - not sure if I need to!

If anyone could shed some light on this would be much appreciated.

I made a stack overflow question as well, if you want to see more info: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51578039/how-to-apply-filmic-tone-mapping-per-pixel

Pleasure - really important to fix a bug that's preventing new users installing! <--ultra priority

And I think I've finally perfected the tone map settings - you guys should really play about with it now. As you can see, in this morning's update (yes I stayed up all night, this is so much fun) the GUI has vastly improved, and now has a live preview! Click the ? at the top for more info.

I've done my research and asked my questions and it's now extremely accurate o7
06q7sKE.png

Pleasure - really important to fix a bug that's preventing new users installing! <--ultra priority

And I think I've finally perfected the tone map settings - you guys should really play about with it now. As you can see, in this morning's update (yes I stayed up all night, this is so much fun) the GUI has vastly improved, and now has a live preview! Click the ? at the top for more info.

I've done my research and asked my questions and it's now extremely accurate o7

I've been playing with this since i saw the first post by Horizone many moons ago. I began using the 'demos' site as seen in the 'make space dark again II' thread on Dar|{cyde post #9. https://www.desmos.com/calculator/bpiterq7mn

The time I've put in experimenting with this is HUGE! So it's with absolute glee, happiness and joy that I can now use this tool! Cuts down the time immensely! and a review screen too!

MANY MANY MANY thanks drkaii... rep and donation coming to you. If I were a woman I'd kiss you :)

PS. Put this post on the 'make space dark again; threads so you get maximum coverage lol.

Ha! Thank you! I've been really hard at work at this, doing more learning than I've done since uni, and really proud of the results, yet nobody seemed to be interested, but YOU have made it all worth it. Please share some good curves, and stay tuned as I fully intend to get this hooked up to the profiling system before long

I've made a gallery of examples, purely to show how things work. I didn't spend more than 30 seconds on each profile, so I am sure you can do really awesome things with the tool: https://imgur.com/a/ekrsMCx

Also:

LF6hVrw.gif

I knew you were taking this seriously by the obvious work you were putting in, I read the Stack Overflow question and answers to follow how you were doing. I had a feeling it wouldn't be too long before you had this perfected :)
Like you I'm a bit taken aback by how little interest there's been in this, I feel it's quite a big deal as far as Elite graphics in VR is concerned.

I spend most of my time in Elite in exploration, I also, being quite old, have eye problems, so using a VR set creates all sorts pf issues ranging from weird light sources caused by wearing specs, to headaches and so on. I even have to install an older version of the Nvidia graphics drivers when I play it so I can bring down the digital vibrance setting by 20%, this was taken away from the HDMI settings around the end of 2017 on the request of Oculus - https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/7xgea1/rifter_upset_ncp_support_removed_from_nvidia/

So! Now I'm trying to get an average, all round, standard look wherever I go, taking in as many variables as possible from dark sides of planets to stars to stations to deep space and whatnot (technical term). This tool will get me to my goal a whole lot faster!

As final thanks drkaii, In my will I'll leave you my old pair of glasses I use in the Rift. You will probably be receiving them shortly dot dot dot

Haha, please don't die, we still need you. Be optimistic and live forever! In your will, please make sure to leave us an entire collection of Tone Map curves for me to include for everyone in EDProfiler.

I am done with the tool in terms of the tone mapping itself - I might try and get a slightly more accurate or even 100% accurate test image and maybe try and make it bigger if I can get some GPU coding sorted. Was fun, glad to see I wasn't alone

Ha! Thank you! I've been really hard at work at this, doing more learning than I've done since uni, and really proud of the results, yet nobody seemed to be interested

I read the Stack Overflow question and answers to follow how you were doing. I had a feeling it wouldn't be too long before you had this perfected :)
Like you I'm a bit taken aback by how little interest there's been in this, I feel it's quite a big deal as far as Elite graphics in VR is concerned.

Hiya, just had to chip in here and say that I too read the Stack Overflow question (plus the awesome answers you received) and am definitely interested and awe struck at what you've achieved here. This stuff seems pretty darn amazing to me, probably just needs a wider audience. Let me promote it on my "Best of Forum" sticky thread and see if I can drum up a bit more interest in the stirling work you have been doing drkaii!

[heart]

Hiya, just had to chip in here and say that I too read the Stack Overflow question (plus the awesome answers you received) and am definitely interested and awe struck at what you've achieved here. This stuff seems pretty darn amazing to me, probably just needs a wider audience. Let me promote it on my "Best of Forum" sticky thread and see if I can drum up a bit more interest in the stirling work you have been doing drkaii!

[heart]

You may be able to leverage interest by using marketing ploys, for instance, a post heading like "Showing off your curves" or "How to look curvy in Elite Dangerous".

Just a thought. [where is it]

I have just published an update that should fix this for first-time installs. Please check.

I'm also experimenting with a preview for the tone mapping. Still desperate for someone who knows this stuff to offer some assistance!

FYI I've got something like this going for each pixel:

r = (r*(A*r+C*B)+D*E)/(r*(A*r+B)+D*F)) - E/F )/ *W*(A*W+C*B)+D*E)/(W*(A*W+B)+D*F)) - E/F)
(repeat for g and b)

but this seems to always give me a number somewhere around 1, rather than a sensible RGB value between 0 and 255, so I am just multiplying it by the original pixel's r (and g and b for the corresponding lines), but that doesn't seem right. I also haven't normalised for gamma ^0.45 or anything else - not sure if I need to!

If anyone could shed some light on this would be much appreciated.

I made a stack overflow question as well, if you want to see more info: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51578039/how-to-apply-filmic-tone-mapping-per-pixel

Odd... I am still getting the same error message.

I run the setup, and the setup works fine. Then when launching the profiler itself, I receive the error message.

IuOlZNU.jpg

Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowWithoutLineInfo(String res)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
   at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(XmlReader reader, LoadOptions options)
   at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(String uri, LoadOptions options)
   at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(String uri)
   at EDProfiler.StoredProfileReader..ctor(String profileFullName)
   at EDProfiler.EDPMainForm.custombindingfixer(Object file)
   at EDProfiler.EDPMainForm.deletefiles()
   at EDProfiler.EDPMainForm.EDPMainForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8933 (WinRelRS4.050727-8900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
EDProfiler
    Assembly Version: 3.1.3.7
    Win32 Version: 3.1.3.7
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Godryc/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/07BT3N1D.6N2/MDCHOPVZ.LTQ/edpr..tion_8fee7e9465259bde_0003.0001_c4309a1e8f449a00/EDProfiler.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.8922 (WinRelRS4.050727-8900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8922 (WinRelRS4.050727-8900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
System.Xml.Linq
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.8931 built by: WinRelRS4
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
System.Deployment
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Deployment/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Deployment.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

[heart]
Thanks! Really appreciate it!
Odd... I am still getting the same error message.

I run the setup, and the setup works fine. Then when launching the profiler itself, I receive the error message.

Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowWithoutLineInfo(String res)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
   at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(XmlReader reader, LoadOptions options)
   at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(String uri, LoadOptions options)
   at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(String uri)
   at EDProfiler.StoredProfileReader..ctor(String profileFullName)
   at EDProfiler.EDPMainForm.custombindingfixer(Object file)
   at EDProfiler.EDPMainForm.deletefiles()
   at EDProfiler.EDPMainForm.EDPMainForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8933 (WinRelRS4.050727-8900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
EDProfiler
    Assembly Version: 3.1.3.7
    Win32 Version: 3.1.3.7
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Godryc/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/07BT3N1D.6N2/MDCHOPVZ.LTQ/edpr..tion_8fee7e9465259bde_0003.0001_c4309a1e8f449a00/EDProfiler.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.8922 (WinRelRS4.050727-8900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
System.Xml.Linq
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
System.Deployment
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Deployment/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Deployment.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Hi, I think you should try going through the troubleshooting steps on the website

http://www.drkaii.com/tools/edprofiler/

Top Bottom