News New Player Minor Faction System

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
yeah, you can know that if you go there with this goods.
But we haven't a board with all governements and laws?

Like "Feudal allow weapons but no drugs, democracy allow drugs but no slaves etc"?
Actually you just need to visit a station that sells the illegal commodity and look on the commodities market.

The commodity description of every commodity that has a supply > 0 and every commodity in your hold now includes a paragraph that details exactly which government types it's legal in.

Obviously for most commodities this just says "legal everywhere."

As for the game being empty, I meet other cmdrs literally every single time I play - I even passed by two random explorers on the neutron superhighway last week while Buckyball racing (in separate systems) - I initially assumed that both would be fellow racers participating in the same event, but neither was. I only had time to exchange quick hellos and one friend request as there's no time for idle chat during a race, but I was very surprised as I've only encountered explorers at Sgr A* before, never at random systems outside the bubble.

@Rootsrat: the problem with the PMF insertions into rares systems (only the potentially illegal ones) is that:
a) in the past (e.g. with Noti) the PMF automatically gained the main station, which suppressed the rare with zero BGS gameplay involved.
b) Since it's the home system the PMF can never be driven away from the rare good.

The Noti master chefs getting suppressed in that manner was especially annoying as it was a CG reward to insert it in the first place. Running 4 tons of Aganippe Rush at a time between systems so close that there's no point tea-bagging.

And Wolf Fesh was the best (ie most illegal) rare narcotic - instantly suppressed by the insertion of the biggest Xbox One player group's faction.
LL's 20 PMFs based in rares systems is a little misleading though, as most of those pre-date the ban, some (e.g. SEPP) are adopted NPC factions that pre-date official PMFs, others e.g. Hutton Truckers are large established player groups that pre-date PMFs, and some of the races (e.g. Silver Sea Rum, Hutton Mugs, Buckyball Beer Mats) were invented by the player group / faction.

Plus for an 100% legal rare commodity it doesn't matter who controls the system anyway.

According to the forums and other places, Elite was doomed on the day of release in 2014. DOOOOOOOOOOM!! ;)
As a fun fact, for Eve Online, a game that is right now 15 years old and counting, the first recorded mention of "EVE IS DYING" was from July 30th, 2003. And check how dead it is, it is not, nothing it's dead until it dies.

I submitted a group form and then submitted for a player faction 4 months ago. I haven't received an email yet telling me it was approved or rejected. Just keep waiting?

I'd apply under the new system as it takes approximately 7 days instead of months. If your old PMF application then resurfaces somewhere it should get rejected, but you'll be in the game anyway which is the important thing.

So does this mean i should resubmit a new group form? Because even on the new system thread it still states to submit player group form?

If a copy of the google form you submitted was emailed to you then your Player Group is registered so you should imho be good to go with your PMF application. If not, the PMF application will simply be rejected and you know to apply again for the Player Group.

Steam stats can also be unrepresentative of player numbers for games with launchers like Elite Dangerous. I hardly ever play Elite with steam open.

CMDR Justinian Octavius

I'd apply under the new system as it takes approximately 7 days instead of months. If your old PMF application then resurfaces somewhere it should get rejected, but you'll be in the game anyway which is the important thing.

If a copy of the google form you submitted was emailed to you then your Player Group is registered so you should imho be good to go with your PMF application. If not, the PMF application will simply be rejected and you know to apply again for the Player Group.

Steam stats can also be unrepresentative of player numbers for games with launchers like Elite Dangerous. I hardly ever play Elite with steam open.

CMDR Justinian Octavius

And as they have recently said that more people are playing ED then ever before, I think we can take those steam stats as being pretty useless, unless of course they were lying.

Brett C

Frontier
And as they have recently said that more people are playing ED then ever before, I think we can take those steam stats as being pretty useless, unless of course they were lying.

It feels as if people are using Steam stats as the be-all-end-all argument that "Elite Dangerous is [dieing|dead|abandoned|on the death bed]".

Unfortunately for those folks that are attempting to use Steam's player count as ammo for the above... Steam stats only paint a very small picture of our actual player counts.

Elite Dangerous was not originally released on and locked to the Steam platform in 2014. It was made with our own client patcher, our own accounts system, our own developed systems. Completely split away from Steam. We do not force people to launch the game through Steam. At last check, players can download Elite Dangerous from Steam, and not have the Steam client running at all while playing Elite. :)

It feels as if people are using Steam stats as the be-all-end-all argument that "Elite Dangerous is [dieing|dead|abandoned|on the death bed]".

Unfortunately for those folks that are attempting to use Steam's player count as ammo for the above... Steam stats only paint a very small picture of our actual player counts.

Elite Dangerous was not originally released on and locked to the Steam platform in 2014. It was made with our own client patcher, our own accounts system, our own developed systems. Completely split away from Steam. We do not force people to launch the game through Steam. At last check, players can download Elite Dangerous from Steam, and not have the Steam client running at all while playing Elite. :)

Thank you. It's nice to have an official confirmation of this.

So publish your user counts. What is there to be afraid of? IF there are 50,000 players online at any one time, you could shut down a ton of irrelevant argument within the forum, and people saying it's dead would just shut up. Until FDEV puts it's money where its mouth is, the claim that the Steam is not indicative of the player base trends just isn't credible.

When you look at a cg participant total - it looks an awful like Steam numbers... just sayin.

A good measure for tendencies of people who use steam and use it to launch the game. Nothing more.

nothing less.

Thank you. It's nice to have an official confirmation of this.

confirmation of what?

you probably mean the (unbacked) claim "Steam stats only paint a very small picture of our actual player counts". which is kinda obvious steam being only one of 4 platforms. the tendencies in that platform still paint a relevant picture. which i've not bothered to look at lately, honestly, because i don't care, i just feel sometimes motivated to point out obvious muck appearing on my internet.

you probably mean the (unbacked) claim "Steam stats only paint a very small picture of our actual player counts". which is kinda obvious steam being only one of 4 platforms. the tendencies in that platform still paint a relevant picture. which i've not bothered to look at lately, honestly, because i don't care, i just feel sometimes motivated to point out obvious muck appearing on my internet.

"Unbacked" claim? Someone working for FDev made a statement. What's the point of demanding for them telling us anything if the immediate reaction to everything they say is "lies!" any time they do?

The biggest confirmation that this is true would be the fact they're still working on it. As the industry has shown, if not enough people are playing a game and the game isn't making a profit, the game gets canned.

"Unbacked" claim? Someone working for FDev made a statement.

yeah, and didn't back it with figures or objective info. that's what i said. you may take it as the word of god if you wish. i'm more skeptical.

What's the point of demanding for them telling us anything if the immediate reaction to everything they say is "lies!" any time they do?

i find it quite dumb when some representative tries to dismiss some specific figures without presenting some of its own, is all.

The biggest confirmation that this is true would be the fact they're still working on it. As the industry has shown, if not enough people are playing a game and the game isn't making a profit, the game gets canned.

oh, so you meant that. thanks for the clarification!

yeah, and didn't back it with figures or objective info. that's what i said. you may take it as the word of god if you wish. i'm more skeptical.
Sure, but:

Case 1) Brett says "there are plenty of players and the Steam stats are not representative"

Case 2) Brett says "On 2 August, 45,986 players logged on, which is a 27% rise on the equivalent day in 2017"

Case 3) Brett spends ten minutes with Excel and shows us a graph with an upward sloping line.

As we have absolutely zero ways to verify the figures in Case 2 and have to take them on trust, it's giving us no meaningful information over Case 1. In Case 3 we have no way to tell if he generated the graph from "player-counts.xls" or from "random-numbers.xls"

So since it comes down to trust anyway, what value do numbers add?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom