BREAKING NEWS: GNOSIS STRANDED, GALNET NEWS!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
That´s true. But it is also something FDev could have done one week earlier to avoid todays mess on the forum. Would still work lore wise, but without having all the people hoping for something special disappointed.

To be honest, I wish they hire someone like Michael Brookes to act as gamemaster. Brooksie, I miss you.

I thought we did get something special. A brand new mechanic that has never been done before in game, you got to be a part of the very first live thargoid attack on a megaship/station. I wish I was there to see it. Hopefully next time.

According to FD there were 11.000 CMDRs there!!! :eek:

I was hoping for some close-up pictures of Hydra. Not a single Hydra appeared. So after the (defence) repair we will jump to Cone sector.

Nope. It is permit locked.

And i thought i'm in a bad situation.
My PSU died yesterday, so i bought a new one via amazon morning express and it's still not here. Maybe not even today anymore.

Now reading that i've just missed a totally mess. So....maybe i just watch TV today and chill. At the end, nothing of intrest has happened :rolleyes:[blah]

.. snip ..
What people (perhaps not familiar with IT) are not taking from this is that it was perhaps a live test. It might as well be that it was a live test that required a large number of players in an instance, and not all things can be simulated in a testing environment. Even if we shackle the rest of the 100 person team to the game and have them play for 8h in a row. But the QA could be skipped on this, or perhaps QA account have crimes off for convenience or something. It was an error. Those things happen. Get over it :)

Mate, you know where I stand, normally I am the one defending FD but in this case I just can't. If, as you are suggesting, that this fiasco (there are other words for it but the filter wouldn't let me use them) was a live test so all is good, that proves to me how little FD thinks of it's community. To decide to test major aspects of the game, during one of the biggest events where the largest concentration of players are assembled for a long time, is just asking for trouble. Did FD expect that if things went pear shaped that all those 1000's of players involved would not think FD had screwed up and thank them? Players lost ships, wasted time on this clusterfook, and for hours we heard nothing from FD.

If FD wanted to conduct a live test, all they had to do was use their test server, post an announcement that they want players to log on during a 24 hour period and test a station/mega-ship being attacked by a swarm of Thargoids. They would have had hundreds logging in, and FD would have got the same results whilst still retaining some semblance of faith with the community.

Jumping into the unknown where there was rumour of loads of thargoids sure is asking for trouble. You don't go prepared, prepare to die.

And as to this being pure combat is just silly. I am sure you will be doing combat helping to repair the ship. Sure that makes sense.

As to them giving us something they blooming well did. A live attack on a megaship/station which has never happened before. Excellent stuff.

This is good for the future of ED in my view.

No. Lol.
I have zero interest in repairing the gnosis.
I tried fighting thargoids way back in 2.4, fun once, then it just become an arms race, bored with that.
Sure, fighting at a station is new, but it's new pew pew.
The reason I'm disappointed is, we all hoped we were getting something that was more than just yet more thargoid fighting, I didn't expect new assets or gameplay, I just wanted something different, a new place to explore, maybe a few little clues, beacons, poi's, anything... Yes, thargoid fights can be mixed in with that, no issues there, but all we got was the fighting, nothing else.

I know nothing was promised, but fdev did say the jump would go ahead, so it's a bit cruel to take that away, after all, we're a bit starved as far as none combat gameplay goes at the moment. Even the Guardian beacon, which looks so cool, has one single purpose, to unlock a fighter... Wonderful, so much could have been done, but no, shoot it three times and go grind yourself a new fighter.

It's not hard to see why this has upset a lot of people.

I'm an explorer myself, I think pew pew is boring. Pre-empt out of the way,

You jumped into an unknown. If this unknown is swarming with Pewie aliens, you will get pew-ed upon. Those systems weren't permit locked for no reason.
The system the Gnosis is in isn't permit-locked, though.

The reason I'm disappointed is, we all hoped we were getting something that was more than just yet more thargoid fighting, I didn't expect new assets or gameplay, I just wanted something different, a new place to explore, maybe a few little clues, beacons, poi's, anything... Yes, thargoid fights can be mixed in with that, no issues there, but all we got was the fighting, nothing else.
If only someone had warned you you might be jumping into trouble right?
The system the Gnosis is in isn't permit-locked, though.
I know.

fdev did say the jump would go ahead

Gnosis is scheduled in Cone Sector FN-J for 4 weeks, there's every chance of another attempt, in fact three.

You also don't HAVE to shoot at the Thargoids. We're in their space, so yes you're running the gauntlet with your cartographic data but it doesn't have to be a battle.

Just as easily it's a Safari (oh look, a lion).

Sorry new to the party, so might not be up to speed. But surely there's the possibility this is just FD milking the story and in the end the jump will be made as expected?

I didn't expect the Gnosis to make it to it's intended destination, but i thought it might be more like Jaques Station and jump somewhere else far away or be able to explore the permit locked systems like you were inside a big bubble you couldn't get out of.

But no. They planned on being there for a month. So I spent the last week preparing my first AX ship, unlocking the Guardian SLFs, engineering, etc and docked with the Gnosis last night 4 hours before the jump. I also assumed i'd miss a little news since I had to wait until I get out of work today in order to check in, but I didn't think the whole thing would be

"we jumped 1 system over and if you were there the moment we jumped you got to see a ship being attacked live, but for the 80-90% of you that weren't on at that moment, sucks to be you"

I've been trying to get more into combat since it seems to be what FD cares about and actually adding content for these days, and i knew there would be some involved with this, but I thought at least there would be some exploring to do too and if you didn't want to pew pew you could just avoid that or only deal with it when docking/undocking if they went that route. It's so frustrating how much potential this game has and yet how much FD just ruins it these days.

Don´t call this mansplaining. I´m male and I´m almost offended by what Cmdr. Eagleboy is trying pull off here too. The milk is already spilled, there´s nothing to beautify here.

I'm Male as well. And it's entirely explaining at people. As though if it's just explained then that's all fine. Its just a bit unnecessary.

Personally I am happy frontier dropped the hammer. Its just been fumbled. And I can see it for what it is and laugh a bit. But at some point you have to call a spade a spade.

Frontier have been at this for years. They spoiled their own content and have as usual struggled to understand the basics most commanders learn in short order.

They will now scramble, as they always do, to keep up. Players are just trying to engage with that, as best they can.

Somehow. All of that is the players problem to solve. It always is. Never the people who built the damned thing. Its never them. Ever. Impossible.

No developer is that good. Not a single one.

Last edited:
I thought we did get something special. A brand new mechanic that has never been done before in game, you got to be a part of the very first live thargoid attack on a megaship/station. I wish I was there to see it. Hopefully next time.

Despite by not being impressed they implemented a "mechanic" that should have been in the game for a while now, I fail to see the good thing because this new mechanic isn´t even working properly.

There were several ways to introduce this to the game, FDev picked the worst way by far. They witnessed the excitement building up in the last weeks, still they didn´t pull the line early enough to avoid the disappointment of today. And this disappointment was totally foreseeable.

It was a second live Thargoid attack :p

Not for Hydras and Canonn.

Comments inside. Don't get me wrong, it was epic experience and I loved it.

cguFGD7.jpg

Last edited:
The guy who thought this up has to go. Seriously. No excuses. So long mate. Get your coat.
Hype it all up and then. Kick a player in the slabs. Enjoy the CG folks you waited for this.
I'm excited for Q4 and the next great bit, not now, not ever.

No. Lol.
I have zero interest in repairing the gnosis.
I tried fighting thargoids way back in 2.4, fun once, then it just become an arms race, bored with that.
Sure, fighting at a station is new, but it's new pew pew.

I know nothing was promised, but fdev did say the jump would go ahead, so it's a bit cruel to take that away, after all, we're a bit starved as far as none combat gameplay goes at the moment. Even the Guardian beacon, which looks so cool, has one single purpose, to unlock a fighter... Wonderful, so much could have been done, but no, shoot it three times and go grind yourself a new fighter.

It's not hard to see why this has upset a lot of people.

The jump went ahead. They never said it would get to the destination. There were enough warning though. Even Canonn said the jump may not succeed.

Yes we are starved of non-combat gameplay. So what would happen if the jump succeeded and jumped to a few empty star systems. People would just scan them and then sit there for a week not being able to do anything until the Gnosis jumps out. You think that is engaging. It would be just exploring any other system you haven't been to before.

For the non-combat stuff I am waiting for the exploration update in Q4. No point in thinking it is going to drop earlier.

As to the Guardian Beacons, I agree. I would like to see other uses for them, like I would like to see other uses for the other guardian and thargoid sites. Hopefully in Q4 these will become a thing.

To be honest, I wish they hire someone like Michael Brookes to act as gamemaster. Brooksie, I miss you.

Yeah, Sandro might be a great technocrat, but it certainly feels like the storyline and all the garnishing is just not there --> +1 for bringing Michael back at least as a consiliere.

I'm an explorer myself, I think pew pew is boring. Pre-empt out of the way,

You jumped into an unknown. If this unknown is swarming with Pewie aliens, you will get pew-ed upon. Those systems weren't permit locked for no reason.

That's when you become an exploder. :)

Besides, FDev tried to tell eveyrone lore wise jumping to Cone was never going to happen, and that those 3 system not permit locked was a mistake. Yet Canonn refused to listen and continued the hype.

There is nothing in Cone, its for future narrative, there is nothing to find there.
Those systems were supposed to be locked as well.

Since the entire point of 'future narrative' is that at some point it has to become 'current narrative' because otherwise 'future narrative' is just a synonym for 'absolutely nothing', can you explain why it was such an absurd thought process to hope that part of the afore-mentioned 'future narrative' may become 'current narrative' now in terms of the locked Cone Sector?

Especially coming as it did right after a point update, when all manner of things could have been added there?

Take as long as you like, I'm off to work now.

Edit: Bugs aside the live station attack looked great from the videos. However since it happened at 8am midweek UK time, I'd guess the audience for it was somewhat limited. I assume this mechanic will be used more after the glitches are ironed out so that it can be more widely experienced.

Last edited:
That was an awesome morning of activity

It's what the game has been crying out for for a while now - live station/ship attacks - awesome.

Now, just need to think ahead a little of the consequences of introducing such play (detention centres for no fly zone defending against alien attack (from aliens defending themselves from a preemtive strike of a ship full of CMDS with Guardian kit)) - and I think they're onto a winner here.

'we need a large beta test base'
'drop gnosis right in it'
'check'

:-D

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom