BREAKING NEWS: GNOSIS STRANDED, GALNET NEWS!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
It is now.

Why is it a disapointment?

What would have been a success? The jump succeeds and you are in the cone sector with three star system to look around for a week. You scan them (this will take a few hours) and then you can't go anywhere until the Gnosis jumps out. You can't even self destruct as you will end back at the Gnosis unless you choose a sidewinder. You think that would have been better then what happened?

I just don't get it.

Why you ask?

Because there´s is obviosly nothing to see in Cone Sector, I can´t find another reason why the jump didn´t happen. Idk if they planned something there and if it´s just not finished or Cone is empty as space can be - if it´s for the introduction of live station attacks I could think of many better ways to to that, without p***ing on people´s gallery.

If they started the attacks a few days ago, everything would be fine. This is just an abuse of the players good will and our hunger for content.

Sigh....
<snip>...
It's a horrible misunderstanding of the community to think that people who were excited about a jump into the unknown are going to be thrilled at suddenly having to deal with 1000 scouts shooting at them.
<snip>...

Exactly this has been bothering me from time to time since release. The question: "Do they really understand why the earlier Elite games were so popular? Do they actually think it was only because of combat?"

Like you I like combat but to my mind the combat theme is too narrow to be the main theme of the game. Given the fantastic 1:1 Galaxy exploration has to be the main theme of the game IMHO. Exploration is a perfect carrier for all activity in the game: transport, trade, mining (logistics & economics) and combat too (explorers stumble upon scary things out there, aliens, pirates, rogue humans, etc).

But maybe this Gnosis event was an attempt to do just that... Pity it ran into problems straight away then. It's a learning opportunity I guess.

I still love this game though.

Hey Rainbro,

Just to clarify from the post above.

The area of space (Cone sector) that the Gnosis was aiming to jump to was never a location that was able to jump to. This is because the location is specifically meant to be used for future narrative. That's the reason why the initiative from the community was weaved into the actual lore of the game.

Thanks,

Zac

So, yeah. They never intended to let us in those systems as the fact that they're unlocked in an area surrounded by a region locked permit was always a mistake. This is simply a cheap trick to prevent The Gnosis from getting there.

What would have been a success? The jump succeeds and you are in the cone sector with three star system to look around for a week. You scan them (this will take a few hours) and then you can't go anywhere until the Gnosis jumps out. You can't even self destruct as you will end back at the Gnosis unless you choose a sidewinder. You think that would have been better then what happened?

I just don't get it.

Or.... Just saying here, they could have done the attack in the cone sector and made it more of a bid for survival where people have to collectively defend the gnosis enough to make it out again and maybe have some small things worth discovering out there as well.

Despite the expectation of thargoids, cannon is a research group, not combat, so it would have been nice, since they were planning something specific for the gnosis anyway, if it wasn't 100% combat.... again.... for the thousandth time.

I'm at least grateful I ended up deciding to build my first AX ship rather than take my pure exploration ship which wouldn't be able to do anything at all now. Not explore, not fight, nothing but go off somewhere else as usual.

It is now.

Why is it a disapointment?

I just don't get it.

well having just sat on that ship, after 3 days gettign there ,for a week with nothing to do i had hoped a jump would give us some exloration, maybe somethign on a planet and some fighting, and it was supposed to be a month not a week.
not sure why you dont get people might be annoyed after they just got shafted. It looked for one gloroius minute that there might be somethign new and cool to do, whats happened is basically a cg, which and i might be wrong , has been seen 500 or so times before? I dont get why there is such a desire to alienate the players.

The jump went ahead. They never said it would get to the destination. There were enough warning though. Even Canonn said the jump may not succeed.

Yes we are starved of non-combat gameplay. So what would happen if the jump succeeded and jumped to a few empty star systems. People would just scan them and then sit there for a week not being able to do anything until the Gnosis jumps out. You think that is engaging. It would be just exploring any other system you haven't been to before.

For the non-combat stuff I am waiting for the exploration update in Q4. No point in thinking it is going to drop earlier.

As to the Guardian Beacons, I agree. I would like to see other uses for them, like I would like to see other uses for the other guardian and thargoid sites. Hopefully in Q4 these will become a thing.

I want to agree with you, i really do. You've been here a long time, like me. Alpha and beta days.
I used to say all that stuff "don't worry, the next update is gonna be great, it'll sort all these problems", well 2.4 was the killer for me, a "narrative" update with no narrative :(

Since then, it's been very linear, the only progress has been bigger weapons for bigger thargoids. There hasn't been much else at all. I'm expecting nothing from 3.3 other than slightly more complicated in game ways to do things that are easier out of game. I'll call it now, the explorer changes will do nothing to change the basic mechanic but give us yet more limpets and probes to juggle and a fiddly complicated set of tools that cause more grief than good.
I feel bad thinking that way, but it's the evidence of the last two years. Everything feels like tinkering with what's already there.

Sad that I've lost hope, maybe fdev need to start being more open so we know a bit more about the future. All I see on the horizon is "kill all the things", bit sad about that.

Why you ask?

Because there´s is obviosly nothing to see in Cone Sector, I can´t find another reason why the jump didn´t happen. Idk if they planned something there and if it´s just not finished or Cone is empty as space can be - if it´s for the introduction of live station attacks I could think of many better ways to to that, without p***ing on people´s gallery.

If they started the attacks a few days ago, everything would be fine. This is just an abuse of the players good will and our hunger for content.
I have an even better theory: there might already be some stuff there. The area was not locked off for no reason. But the stuff is not done yet. It might not only be ugly like hell, it might even have really game breaking problems still, e.g. CTDs and the likes. So it might in its current state be even worse than nothing at all. That's be a good reason to keep people out of there, too. :)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom