New Regions – Why not use the ones already established by the exploration community?

Ah, I see. That's good then - and good to know. I take it images and such are also covered under "Message", and it should pose no problem if they are also hosted over third-party sites? Unless there were conflicting licenses there, but as far as I'm aware, none of the places that also rehost GMP data have such licenses. (Or, well, any.)

It does say any message "whatsoever" so I'd imagine content in any format is covered. And given how broad the following section on submissions is, probably posting a link would also be covered in terms of giving FDev permission to use the content.

Is it possible that FD could only claim ownership of the link to any graphic posted, not the graphic itself? Think of all those grabbed stills from TV and movies that posters love to include to illustrate points. The copyright owners would probably be quite miffed at FD if they started muscling in on some of these properties.

Any graphic that I've created and used in posts is hosted on my website. If I delete a picture from my site, would FD be entitled to sue me for breach of ToS?

Again, the language is broad enough that I would not rely on hyperlinking to protect your content from the automatic permissions grant. That said, it's a license, not a transfer of ownership, so I really doubt any court would hold that you have any obligation to keep content online just in case Frontier wants to use it.

To your other point, you can't grant rights you don't control. So if you post content that contains some original idea combined with copyrighted material, FDev gets the right to use your idea, but they would still need to negotiate with any other rightsholders before they could use the combined work.

/signed.

Ozric's suggestion makes a lot of sense. Just as geographic features (like the Sahara desert, the Alps, the Himalayas etc) don't map directly onto official borders, so the player-named astronomic regions don't have to map directly onto the official region borders. Plus, an extra overlay has got to have less development overhead than redoing the 42 sectors.

It's a good compromise. FD get to keep the work they've done and player-made emergent content gets recognised for all the work that's gone into it.

The beta's live, and while I don't have the time to play it much yet (in a few hours perhaps), I took a quick look. The region numbers are gone (or hidden so well that I didn't find them neither on the galaxy map nor the Codex), most names are new but some of the GMP(-inspired) ones are there, as well as real names... and they misspelled a certain region as "the Formadine Rift" :rolleyes:

Look, why don't we just use post/zip codes instead.

Then no one would have a clue where they are, even the postal services would struggle.

So FD replaced the numbers with their own names. It looks likes 2 or 3 GMP/EDSM/ region names made it, and one of them is spelled wrong.

Bravo.

The beta's live, and while I don't have the time to play it much yet (in a few hours perhaps), I took a quick look. The region numbers are gone (or hidden so well that I didn't find them neither on the galaxy map nor the Codex), most names are new but some of the GMP(-inspired) ones are there, as well as real names... and they misspelled a certain region as "the Formadine Rift" :rolleyes:

Could anyone post a screenshot of the beta region names?

Could anyone post a screenshot of the beta region names?

I dont have screenshot but comparing it to edsm, these survived;

The Abyss
Formidine Rift (spelled wrong in game)
Norma Expanse
Hawking's Gap
Outer Orion-Perseus Conflux
Tenebris (spelled Tenebrae in game)

Plus these real-life regions;

Scutum-Centaurus Arm
Orion-Cygnus Arm
Outer Arm
Sagittarius-Carinia Arm

Last edited:
I started making screenies, but got booted midway through, and haven't been able to reconnect since. Looks like the servers are overloaded.

My game is still updating, but according to reliable sources this is how the beta regions are named (layered on top of existing GMP map):

Thanks to Qohen Leth for making the new map overlay.

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused -- have Frontier just gone and named their 42 sectors, using a bit of the GMP names and some of their own devising for some reason?

If so, what was the point of that? I thought the idea of keeping the numbered sectors but having the player-generated GMP names on an overlay would have been more logical rather than this.

Top Bottom