New Regions – Why not use the ones already established by the exploration community?

I'm a bit confused -- have Frontier just gone and named their 42 sectors, using a bit of the GMP names and some of their own devising for some reason?

They've done exactly that. The edsm names have been largely forgotten in favor of names plucked out of the thin air (lyra song, rykers hope? give me a break :rolleyes: ) , and the historical names will become totally forgotten now.

If so, what was the point of that? I thought the idea of keeping the numbered sectors but having the player-generated GMP names on an overlay would have been more logical rather than this.

That would have been the sensible thing to do one would have thought, but that would require someone who calls the shots having an iota of interest in what explorers have been creating for the last 4 years.

Last edited:
They've done exactly that. The edsm names have been largely forgotten in favor of names plucked out of the thin air (lyra song, rykers hope? give me a break :rolleyes: ) , and the historical names will become totally forgotten now.

That would have been the sensible thing to do one would have thought, but that would require someone who calls the shots having an iota of interest in what explorers have been creating for the last 4 years.

Deity on a velocipede...

I really don't get this at all, it's like they just wanted to avoid involving explorers in this update at all. Given the years of obvious generated input and game-play developed from what was there, you might have thought a focussed-feedback forum would have been a good idea really.

I think it was great to see The Abyss, Formidine Rift and all the familiar regions ingame instead of neutral "sector xx".

I think this thread is the guilty for accomplishing that.. ;)

I think it was great to see The Abyss, Formidine Rift and all the familiar regions ingame instead of neutral "sector xx".

I think this thread is the guilty for accomplishing that.. ;)

But the disconnect was so subtly wrong that it seems like being given four candles when you'd asked for fork handles ( (c) messrs Barker and Corbett ) ;)

So to be sure and not have to go through 32 pages, the sector names that are in the beta are what this thread was wanting, yes? I like it. Makes it better than just a bunch of numbers. Gives the galaxy more life.

So to be sure and not have to go through 32 pages, the sector names that are in the beta are what this thread was wanting, yes?

Well... Not exactly.

If you read the OP you will notice that what started this thread was our hope that the region names known and used by exploration communities* for years would not be superseded by the new regions introduced by FD.

The region names in the beta does include a few from the mapping project but most of the beta region names are new names that are being introduced at this time by FD - and thus defacto superseding the names allready in use.

At this early time of the beta we have not yet heard anything from FD regarding this, and we also do not know their position on the suggestion in the OP of this thread about a map overlay for GMP names. But clearly the current implementation that we are seing in the beta was not what we were hoping for. We hope that nothing is set in stone yet - and we will continue to offer our suggestions and feedback :)

* The exploration communities I refer to are the communities here on the exploration forums, as well as those on exploration discords like e.g. FleetComm, CCN or DSN, as well as those players who have taken part in community organized expedtions to explore these regions, as well as those players using cartographic apps like EDSM, EDDiscovery or CanonnED3D, as well as those players watching youtubers who feature these region names like e.g. Obsidian Ant or 'Strange Worlds' by Skoomer, as well as anyone else who during the last four years have come across the community names collected and distributed via the Galactic Mapping Project.

Last edited:
I have to wonder if the new names have reasoning behind them? Like maybe Frontier put stuff in those sectors to find which might explain why they are called those names?

Either way, I'm glad some of the communities names made it in, and I'm very glad that we have names at all instead of the numbers.

I have to wonder if the new names have reasoning behind them?

Given the last four years lore-related-experience with them I am very doubtful, especially after Drew left the game. I'd really like to be surprised in a positive way. And I really hope that the names are not set in stone.

Given the last four years lore-related-experience with them I am very doubtful, especially after Drew left the game. I'd really like to be surprised in a positive way. And I really hope that the names are not set in stone.
Drew was logged in last night.

I have to wonder if the new names have reasoning behind them? Like maybe Frontier put stuff in those sectors to find which might explain why they are called those names?

Either way, I'm glad some of the communities names made it in, and I'm very glad that we have names at all instead of the numbers.

Also glad there's some acknowledgement of these names. Having numbers as the region names only makes the galaxy feel smaller IMO.

As for the new fancy original names, I say we keep them. I'm a fan of making original names for one's self, as opposed to using already famous names to give an inflated sense of prestige to a location or object.

I think these names are pretty good. Don't think they can make it exactly the same as the old names.
It is not only a problem of names. I do understand people might think it is, but look at the overlay map from Qohen (https://i.imgur.com/5pJVuOJ.jpg) more closely and you will see the GMP respects the actual stellar map and has named regions because of their stellar position, while the regions in game disrespect this even to the point of doing ridiculous name overlap.

• Look at Hawking's Gap, the name is taken over, awesome I thought at first, but the in-game region is not a gap, now is it ? GMP called it "gap" for a reason, because it lies between 2 arms and has a low star density. And now FD calls a region full of stars "Hawking's Gap" ? Implementing it like this means it would be far better not to reuse the name just out of respect for the GMP community lore.

aFKF3Ty.png

aFKF3Ty

• Look at Norma Arm, the name is taken over, awesome ? Well... no, not at all, because the GMP called it an "Arm" because it IS an arm ! The in-game region devides this into 2 regions and calls the non-arm part "Norma Arm" ? How does that make sense ?

oxy8lEi.png

And those 2 examples were just obvious from glancing a bit deeper, pretty sure you can identify other errors.

What does that tell me ? That FD is not ready to implement the GMP, which is probably their own statement. However, if they are not ready, then please by all means, do NOT go for a quick-and-dirty solution by incorporating some of the names like has been done now in the beta. Believe me I was very thrilled to see it initially, but equally disappointed once I realised it does't work at all like this.

Because of that, I wouldn't mind FD postponing region names, if they can't implement it, then they shouldn't. It's that simple. Either you do it good, or you don't do it at all. I'd rather wait a year till they can, than that they implement these fake names or GMP names in a fake way. Mind you, there is no real explorer that does not know / use the GMP so FD unwillingly is touching the holy grail of standard exploration mapping.

Ironically, that means even keeping the numbers for now would be a better solution. I know, I signed this thread. But I signed it for option 3, not for this.

Lastly, wiping out existing lore is not the first time FD does this, eg the rock rats who were in-game prospector content got wiped away by exposing material distribution for free. Surface prospection got wiped out as a connotation in fact, and people commonly associate it to mining instead. So if FD pushes these names through, the same will happen to the GMP, the names will either be forgotten, unused and in cases like gaps or arms, misused. And that is simply a "not done" in any explorers book.

Despite all that,... I'm thrilled about the exploration Q4 update. Frontier did excellent so far, this region implementation is the strange duck in the group as they say, and I really hope they read this and overthink not going to hastily with the region implementation, and rather do it in stages so everyone is respected in the end.

Last edited:
Top Bottom