So Sandro Sammarco has moved aside. Who has taken the reins then?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

We wanted to address a couple of things we've seen in this thread, and stop any speculation or completely unnecessary negativity.

Sandy is indeed working on another project at Frontier, he's very happy and healthy and ...

Ed, just the simple fact that it is you and not Sandro himself who give such info is a clear mark that something went wrong. No one in such position will leave so silently ... and we had here more persons which simply announced that they are working on something else. He was prominent person (imo) in the FDev team no matter how are final decisions made. I personally really liked his passion for this game, and I wish him all the best in whatever he is doing now.

and I miss too ...

DMP_O_6X4AED1WS.jpg

Last edited:
And Ed, please invite Sandro to some 3.3 launch stream to say some goodbye to us...I know he might return at some point, after all, he is not going anywhere, but all these years of ED has been under spaceloach sign.

I'll miss Sandro on the livestreams. His energy and enthusiasm was infectious. I hope that if he does livestreams for the "other project" he continues to use his "no ETAs, no guarantees" mantra :) I wonder if we'll see him on the 24-hour charity livestream.

I'll chime in and echo the couple of others who have said they'd like to see Sandro come onto a final livestream. Would be real nice to get some closure and I also don't think someone like Sandro who has had such a massive impact on Elite and the community should just fade into obscurity.

Emissive is one of the reasons why TLB itself is far from an ideal counter. It increases lock range and reduces lock time enough that getting off missiles between TLB hits is often very possible.

Shields, hull with high explosive resistance, MRP + AFMU, frags (a few shots of screening shell, which is a common mod anyway, will clear any munitions in their cone of fire), rolling the ship before impact so that missiles impact the side with the least number of exposed externals, etc. More pro-active defenses, like destroying their weapons before they destroy yours, may also be viable, depending on the match up.

Yes, seekers and packhounds can be very potent, but to say they have no counters, or that TLB is the only viable counter, is false.

I fail to see the logic with saying emmisive makes TLB a less effective counter? So them maintaining full targeting continuously is more benificial somehow than being able to break said lock? Shields are obvious and needed not really mentioning, regardless, they are not infallible. Screening works I guess, but thats a hell of a sacrifice innit? Thermal Vent however I will say is a solid counter to missiles. Running at zero might give them a reticule from you firing, but no missile lock, no gimbal lock unless the are bang on, GGez.

I see why people want a nerf, but at the end of the day, the only responsible way to do that, is have it limited to one per vessel. Shouldnt be hard to implement via the same method used to limit the number of avalible AX/Guardian weapons. At the same time however, it is an effect which allows for many smaller vessels to survive far longer than they are intially capable of even after engineering fully. Nerfing it would be yet another nail in the coffin for smaller vessels.

Ed, just the simple fact that it is you and not Sandro himself who give such info is a clear mark that something went wrong.

We seem to forget that Frontier is a software development company, not the Marvel Cinematic Universe. People change positions in jobs all the time, without "goodbye speeches" to the general public. So to quote the recast Rhodey from Iron Man 2, "Look, it's me. I'm here. Deal with it. Let's move on."

[video=youtube;r2JFqC1Nvzg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2JFqC1Nvzg[/video]

Laurence Oldham replaced Michael Brookes as the game director. That's probably why we now get stuff that the previous Elite devs didn't want in the game such as Voice acting and scenario missions (more story driven content) which is good.

Well, thank God for Laurence Oldham. I finally feel like Elite is moving in the right direction. I had given up.

Before Chapter 4, I would have said that ED was great ships and galaxy surrounded by the worst game design in the industry. Going around scanning nodes, wakes and rocks is not gameplay. And powerplay was a joke.

Laurence Oldham replaced Michael Brookes as the game director. That's probably why we now get stuff that the previous Elite devs didn't want in the game such as Voice acting and scenario missions (more story driven content) which is good.

Brookes lead development of Jurassic World Evolution and that game got mixed reception.

Well, thank God for Laurence Oldham. I finally feel like Elite is moving in the right direction. I had given up.

Before Chapter 4, I would have said that ED was great ships and galaxy surrounded by the worst game design in the industry. Going around scanning nodes, wakes and rocks is not gameplay. And powerplay was a joke.

Micheal Brookes was never Game Director for Elite Dangerous, he was Executive Producer. When he left Elite Dangerous, Micheal Brookes became Game Director on Jurassic World.

Laurance Oldman has been Game Director on Elite Dangerous for years now - before Laurance, David Braben was Game Director for Elite Dangerous.

No one even bothered to consider that maybe Sandy decided he reached a point where he could move onto another project because it'd be more fun to do, and it'd be something different. You'd be surprised how often that happens, especially after working years on a project and reaching a juncture where you can do something fresh.

Chapter 4 is the final revamp of Elite Dangerous before it moves into new territory. That's literally the perfect time to choose to move onto something else for a change of pace, without leaving things hanging.

At any rate it's all just useless speculation. Sandy still works for Frontier, as does Michael Brookes. It's not the end of the world until David Braben suddenly decides he's tired of Elite. Then it's time to worry.

Whatever the reason might be why Sandro moved on, I hope he's having a good time and I'm thankfull for his effort and time he spent making ED to what it is today.
Be honest, ED is a great experience, there wouldn't be so many of us with so many hours under their belt playing it if it wasn't.

No one even bothered to consider that maybe Sandy decided he reached a point where he could move onto another project because it'd be more fun to do, and it'd be something different

I thought that was obvious - being given a new Game to work on prior to release, doubtless with far more associated resources is an obvious step-up from maintaining ongoing development from an older and declining title...
He's obviously been seen as having done a good job and been rewarded accordingly

Whatever the reason might be why Sandro moved on, I hope he's having a good time and I'm thankfull for his effort and time he spent making ED to what it is today.
Be honest, ED is a great experience, there wouldn't be so many of us with so many hours under their belt playing it if it wasn't.

Most of which sat idle in a station or drifting supercruise... ;). Joking, that's just me lately.

I hope he'll still be able to do Frontier live streams in his new job. He's a warm, funny bloke and his streams are the best

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom