Thargoids in BGS May Break Game

How you defend yourself against an alien race that wants to extinct human kind? You don't. That's the point. People need to get rid of the idea of total safety. Where does the safety come from? How is it produced? Is it a gift from RNGesus himself?

No, safety is providwd by people doing your job. You can either get you a decent hull and shield and maybe a couple of guardian weapons or ask for help. The latter is not relyable though.
God dang it, this is supposed to be a threat and not a consensual arbitrary optional gameplay element.

Oh wait...

Personally, I'm really hoping that these changes to the Thargoids will breath some much needed jeopardy/drama/uncertainty in to a game that currently feels way too safe.

Elite Dangerous was never supposed to be an unchanging snapshot in time. Adapt to the changes as you can - fight or flee. However, it's high time winter arrived.

My main concern around Thargoids being added to the bgs revolves around Frontiers favorite thing to nerf: credits.

My anti-xeno anaconda cost upwards of 550 million credits. That was just the cost of the ship. I then had to engineer it to grade 5 from thrusters to hull to get it be survivable in a 1v1 fight with a cyclops. After that I had to have guardian equipment from module reinforcements to hull reinforcements to weapons to be able to do enough damage effectively.

This is an end game ship to sure. The amount of money it cost was significant.

How are new players or players who don't participate in combat (traders and explorers) supposed to defend their home systems when the thargoid incursion model rests on how many thargoids are killed?

Is Fdev's intent to push players into thargoid combat regardless of their own desires? How will this effect the xeno allies?

Use the galaxy map it will tell you safe areas or areas under attack by thargoids. There are enough players to fight thargoids and will be enough player groups. Check system security and status before plotting a route, all the tools are there. The bubble is big enough you can avoid players in open... anyone in a Sidewinder isn't going to care and unlikely starter systems will have issues.

It's easy to avoid Thargoids under the new system.

It may or may not break the game. Some of us BGSers are giving considering as to how the incursions might be useful in certain strategies.

The only constant is change.

Thing is, even if a system gets attacked, the only way you can have a run-in with Thargoids is if you *choose* to. They don't pull you out of supercruise, USS containing them are clearly marked as non-human... the only chance of running into them unawares is if you are checking out disabled megaships, where you *might* encounter an interceptor, but it'd only aggress you if you annoy it, or are carrying thargoid/guardian cargo.

Meanwhile, wrecked/repairable stations are great places to make some scratch. So I don't think it's going to be a big problem.

"Xeno Allies" won't have anything to worry about if they don't provoke Thargoids operating in a system. You might love your own nation's military, but pretty sure they'll get pretty aggro if you run up and try to hug one of their tanks while it's in a firefight.

Wut Thargoids in the bubble?

I'm going to have to equip whole new ships with this AX/Grauniad nonsense? :(

Or is this definite:

Thing is, even if a system gets attacked, the only way you can have a run-in with Thargoids is if you *choose* to. They don't pull you out of supercruise, USS containing them are clearly marked as non-human... the only chance of running into them unawares is if you are checking out disabled megaships, where you *might* encounter an interceptor, but it'd only aggress you if you annoy it, or are carrying thargoid/guardian cargo.

If that's the case then meh to it all, why can't we have them running iaround in SC like NPC's or basically not at all.

Found in an encrypted file near an INRA base this picture of a Thargoid…

150372,xcitefun-cute-colorful-bug-and-its-face-14.jpg

A BGS Thargoid Incursion state should mean the system affected is infested. Interdictions should occur outside CZ's and scouts should attack you on the way to a station. Business as usual shouldn't be the norm!

How are new players or players who don't participate in combat (traders and explorers) supposed to defend their home systems when the thargoid incursion model rests on how many thargoids are killed?

Is Fdev's intent to push players into thargoid combat regardless of their own desires? How will this effect the xeno allies?

They can dump cargo for them and run, or simply go far away.

Or they can wing with skilled combatants who can keep them alive.

Xeno Allies are race traitors and should be put down?

Truth is, there are no answers to these questions yet.

They may have to pick up a gun, or go find someone willing to.

While I'm largely indifferent to the Thargoid content, I think it's flatly absurd that CMDRs can expect the galaxy to revolve around their particular whims and proclivities.

If that's the case then meh to it all, why can't we have them running iaround in SC like NPC's or basically not at all.
It's definitely the case now. And all the Thargoid incursion state is, is a formalisation of the current mechanics.

Thing is, at least within the game lore, we're not certain Thargoids are even capable of entering Supercruise yet.

IMO it goes back to the fundamental premise of ED - Alien invasion - so all good.

That being said, there are going to be a lot of systems (with broken starports) controlled indefinitely by Thargoids if'Goid defence tech and weapons are not readily available to all players. ATM they're locked behind gates and locations.

IMO it goes back to the fundamental premise of ED - Alien invasion - so all good.

That being said, there are going to be a lot of systems (with broken starports) controlled indefinitely by Thargoids if'Goid defence tech and weapons are not readily available to all players. ATM they're locked behind gates and locations.

AX weaponry is not locked behind anything, only guardian tech.

Perhaps FD could make AX weapons more readily available, rather than just in the Pleiades. That was fine when Thargoid activity was present just down there, but now it's everywhere, Aegis would surely undertake efforts for it to be readily available in the bubble.

AX weaponry is not locked behind anything, only guardian tech.

Perhaps FD could make AX weapons more readily available, rather than just in the Pleiades. That was fine when Thargoid activity was present just down there, but now it's everywhere, Aegis would surely undertake efforts for it to be readily available in the bubble.

Aren't they available at any Military surface port?

There are reasons to believe Thargoid incursions can be helpful for current ruling factions. The livestream last week was a little unclear about it, but since it pushes all factions in the system to incursion state, and apparently may disable the possibility of conflicts between the factions, it may end up being a defensive measure that BGS groups might welcome, rather than fight off.

Especially now that suddenly and for no reason whatsoever UA Bombing has been removed from the game.

My anti-xeno anaconda cost upwards of 550 million credits. That was just the cost of the ship. I then had to engineer it to grade 5 from thrusters to hull to get it be survivable in a 1v1 fight with a cyclops. After that I had to have guardian equipment from module reinforcements to hull reinforcements to weapons to be able to do enough damage effectively.

This is an end game ship to sure. The amount of money it cost was significant.

The truth is now a medium ship with just Heatsinks do a better job than a billion dollar Cutter or 1/2 billion Anaconda at fighting Thargoids.

I actually want a Thargoid not affected by Heatsinks to make big ships relevant again.

Top Bottom