Graphics Mod to Remove Haze

Can't seem to get this to work :(

Does the attached txt file (for the shaderfix folder) need a name change? Looks a bit odd sitting in there with a txt extension.......?

No, leave the file name as is (with the .txt extension).

Check that you have downloaded the right 3DMigoto version for your 'puter (32 bit or 64 bit) and installed it correctly. The individual files and sub directory in the 3DMigoto archive should be unpacked directly into your ED product directory i.e. not in a separate 3DMigoto directory. Then simply drop the text file (as is) into the new shader fix sub-directory placed by 3DMigoto in your ED product directory.

Last edited:
I am getting low FPS of 45 in different conditions now after update. Will this help restore some FPS back to before update.

Doubt it.

Provided hunting is set to "0" in the ini file, 3DMigoto appears to have little impact on frame rate rendering (could loose a few frames) as all the mod is doing here is skipping a pixel shader that would otherwise be rendered. If there were numerous calls (shaders to check) then it may have an impact on performance, but that's not happening here.

In any event it won't make your 'puter go faster :)

Last edited:
Hey thanks A D ...... I followed your guide to the letter. Will try again and double check, cheers m8!

Edit - working now, Bobby must have dropped a bollock ;)

Last edited:
Been mucking around with 3DMigoto and have put all of the mods into a single "d3dx.ini" file which allows you to choose options to remove the:

- particles that move past the ship when in normal flight.
- particles that move past the ship in super-cruise.
- vertical lines on each side of the cockpit.
- dirt from the cockpit window.
- white haze in spaceports.

You can also enable "hard mode". This is my personal favorite and is for Cmdrs wanting a more challenging game experience as you must rely on the ship's instruments for direction, distance, speed, target and vector information. The effects are still being tested, but the known effects of hard mode are:

- All external object markers (the "circles") are removed. You will need to fly using the compass, target information panel and eyeballs! Investigating a USS or POI on a planet surface will require your attention! Also good if you want to take a video or screenie without external markers.
- No super-cruise or hyper-cruise vector guides. You must use the compass to align your ship to enter either cruise mode.
- No targeting cues. You must line your ship up with the object or other ship or use the contact or navigation panel to select it. Can still disengage, lock, shoot etc. but there will not be a targeting pip or cue.
- No night vision. Eyeballs and lights on the dark side! Update: night vision back in since 3.3.02 patch. :)
- Interdictions are similar, but progress bars are not revealed (maybe winning, maybe not).

The d3dx.ini file requires the PC version of Elite Dangerous and 3DMigoto (available from https://github.com/bo3b/3Dmigoto/releases). To install the file go to the directory where the 3DMigoto files are installed. It should be the same directory as your game executable. In that directory replace the exisiting "d3dx.ini" file with the attached file. You will first need to download the attached "d3dx.txt" file and change its name to "d3dx.ini". If 3DMigoto is already installed, it is recommended that you remove existing mods from the "ShaderFix" sub-directory before using this file to ensure there is no conflict. To enable an option, open the "d3dx.ini" file in notepad, scroll down to the "Elite Dangerous game options" section and delete the semi-colon in front of each line of the option (i.e. last three lines) that you want to enable. An option can be disabled by reversing that process. Any number or combination of options can be selected. All options are enabled by default, except the "hard" mode option which is disabled by default. The file should work out of the box so do not change other non-game settings in the file unless you know what you are doing.

If you have any questions or suggestions or find a glitch leave a post on the forum or private message me. Also a big shout out to CMDR Ledpup, the original author of the "Dust Buster" mod (who did the particle removal mods), and CMDR Uliando who inspired the hard mode. Thanks also to Bo3b Johnson for making 3DMigoto open source.

NOTE: Attached file updated - See post #36

Attachments

• d3dx.txt
    60.5 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:
After Thursday update looks like station haze is much stronger now.
I am seeing more frame drop off and ghosting inside and outside just flying in supercrusie.
Also seeing ghosting just flipping thru station menu screen.

Eq.
Vive
1080 gtx
Ps no problems before December update

Thanks, this is great! Really goes a long way to un-doing how much worse the game looks after the update in VR. I notice there's still that white haze when on planetary surfaces. Can't for the life of me remember if it was there before. Anybody?

edit:
Hmm, looks like based on the OP, this should fix planetary haze as well? I know it's installed correctly because it removes the supercruise lines and space dust.

Last edited:
The mod was aimed at space port haze. Planet surfaces can be hazy, but It appears that different shaders are used for that effect. When I come across a really hazy planet I'll take a look.

Last edited:
After Thursday update looks like station haze is much stronger now.
I am seeing more frame drop off and ghosting inside and outside just flying in supercrusie.
Also seeing ghosting just flipping thru station menu screen.

Eq.
Vive
1080 gtx
Ps no problems before December update

Not sure I have understood your post.

With the mod installed the inside of the space port should be noticeably free of haze (as per the screenies at the start of this thread). That's working for me and I'm not seeing any other effects on my rig. As to framerate, make sure the "d3dx.ini" file settings has "hunting=0" (not "1") or you will take a performance hit. All the mod does is cause a shader to be skipped so the performance hit (if any) should be negligible.

If you use the file in post #24 then you can change its extension to .ini and use it out of the box. :)

Last edited:
NOTE: I accidentally wrote down the wrong hash when I first made this post. I've corrected the error now. Sorry bout that.

The mod was aimed at space port haze. Planet surfaces can be hazy, but It appears that different shaders are used for that effect. When I come across a really hazy planet I'll take a look.

Found a guide on using 3dMigoto. It was actually pretty straightforward, and I was able to fix it myself. Adding this to the d3dx.ini file will do it:

Code:
; Remove planetary haze.
; Enable this to remove the white haze on planetary surfaces.

[ShaderOverride6]
  Hash=ec77ba76560d17ce
  Handling=skip

Before:
iWHGqZC.jpg

After:
5KRq6rY.jpg

edit: Note, I haven't tested this on other planets yet, so hopefully it's a universal fix, but I can't be sure yet.

Last edited:
How are you getting to a command line for the shaders, there?

You have to set hunting=1 in d3dx.ini. That enables that mode where you can scroll through the various shaders and mark them if they do what you want. Then you have the hash in a log file and you just add it like I did above. Guide I used here:

https://github.com/bo3b/3Dmigoto/wiki/Using-3Dmigoto-to-find-and-fix-shaders

BTW, I noticed this probably offers a way to tone down some obscene cockpit lights in the game (cutter I'm looking at you)!

Last edited:
What version are we downloading 1.3.14? (EDIT) I got it and it's working great! I would like to say thank you so much A D this and the link you provided to the other Shader fixes has made my Elite Dangerous beautiful.

Last edited:
I didn't know I wanted this until I tried it. Wasn't sure if it had the same NVidia only restriction that the Dustbuster mod did, so was really surprised when it worked perfectly. Even the hard mode is great. Sort of wish I could toggle night vision back, but I'll just have to fly slower or above the plane in the darkest places.

Been playing around a bit more. Found a couple other shaders that produce the white haze on planets. The following three seem to produce it:

Code:
ec77ba76560d17ce
4db942934cad0b29
74a61bc54382d4d9

The first one makes the most dramatic difference, but the other two make things even blacker. Haven't tested it a lot yet, but so far everything on the actual planetary surface looks fine. Some comparisons:

Stock:
gauXdOi.jpg

ec77ba76560d17ce
RiECQDV.jpg

ec77ba76560d17ce + 4db942934cad0b29
hVzcvda.jpg

ec77ba76560d17ce + 4db942934cad0b29 + 74a61bc54382d4d9
PYY9Rbu.png

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: A D
NOTE: I accidentally wrote down the wrong hash when I first made this post. I've corrected the error now. Sorry bout that.

Found a guide on using 3dMigoto. It was actually pretty straightforward, and I was able to fix it myself. Adding this to the d3dx.ini file will do it:

Code:
; Remove planetary haze.
; Enable this to remove the white haze on planetary surfaces.

[ShaderOverride6]
  Hash=ec77ba76560d17ce
  Handling=skip

Nice find +1

Below is an updated "d3dx.txt" (file extension should be changed to "ini" after download) incorporating your code. I described it as experimental in the file because of your rider that it needs further testing. Note to other players, this mod option can be enabled or disabled in the same way as the other options (see my post #24 above). Feedback on this mod, with comparison screenies, would be good too, though the images in Cmdr Rdmc's post above are reason to be optimistic :)

Attached file: View attachment d3dx.txt (Has all of the options and is the current version).

UPDATE:
- The attached file has "hard mode" enabled although the intro in the file says it is "disabled" (whoops). So go down to the ED options section and disable hard mode (comment it out) if you don't want hard mode.
- Since the 3.3.02 patch night vision is back in with "hard mode". No biggy, actually think I prefer it.

In passing, I note that some other Cmdrs are experimenting with 3DMigoto (which is great). A few words of caution though:

- Shader changes can be quite subtle. Under the "Hunting" section of d3dx.ini use the "marking_mode=pink" setting to highlight the affected areas in pink and make them easier to spot. Don't forget to change the setting back to "skip" when you are finished. :)
- Only disable one shader at a time and test it properly. Sometimes shaders appear to do the same thing, but are slightly different and delete stuff you cannot see. For example, with the "hard mode" mod there are two like shaders. One deletes the pitch ladder and the other doesn't, which is not obvious until you go to a planet!!
- Generally speaking, work with the pixel shaders (numpad 1 and 2). Disabling vertex shaders can have unintended consequences.
- Disabling a shader for cosmetic reasons is probably OK. However, DO NOT disable a shader for a game advantage (subtle or otherwise). If you do and get caught, FD will likely come down on you like a ton of bricks and ban you!

Last edited:
Thanks! I added a couple other hashes in #35. The difference isn't that apparent in the screenshots, but is very obvious in VR.

edit: Oh BTW, anyone testing, all these fixes can be toggled on/off live in game. Just comment out/in the relevant override in d3dx.ini, and hit F10 to refresh 3dMigoto.

Last edited:
- Shader changes can be quite subtle sometimes. Under the "Hunting" section of d3dx.ini use the "marking_mode=pink" setting to highlight the affected areas in pink and make them easier to spot. Don't forget to change the setting back to "skip" when you are finished. :)

Thanks for this. I'm gonna use this to test out the hashes I found further.

edit: OK, 74a61bc54382d4d9 is a no go, removes HUD elements in the SRV. 4db942934cad0b29 only removes some haze and leaves areas with it on the cockpit which are removed by 74a61bc54382d4d9, but then that one isn't good so it's a moot point. Oh well, ec77ba76560d17ce is a dramatic enough difference. No issues with that one yet...

Last edited:
Been playing around a bit more. Found a couple other shaders that produce the white haze on planets. The following three seem to produce it:

Code:
ec77ba76560d17ce
4db942934cad0b29
74a61bc54382d4d9

The first one makes the most dramatic difference, but the other two make things even blacker. Haven't tested it a lot yet, but so far everything on the actual planetary surface looks fine. Some comparisons:

Stock:

ec77ba76560d17ce

ec77ba76560d17ce + 4db942934cad0b29

ec77ba76560d17ce + 4db942934cad0b29 + 74a61bc54382d4d9

So, does making those changes remove the background nebula, as well? Or is it just harder to see in the screenshots. I wouldn't mind making space darker, but I do also like being able to see certain background Nebula and objects (Magellanic Clouds, Andromeda, California Nebula, Orion/Barnard's, etc).

Great work on this though, guys!

So, does making those changes remove the background nebula, as well? Or is it just harder to see in the screenshots. I wouldn't mind making space darker, but I do also like being able to see certain background Nebula and objects (Magellanic Clouds, Andromeda, California Nebula, Orion/Barnard's, etc).

Great work on this though, guys!

Thanks.

Regarding your query, the nebula are still there (though may be affected a bit). I'm using the mod while exploring in DW2 and took the following screenshot near the starting system the day before jumping off. Not a great example, but can see nebula in the background. I'll keep an eye out though and post a follow up screenie.

VHrG4zn.jpg

OK, two follow up screenies taken in the deep today. I think the nebula are a little darker. For some reason they are definitely darker in the screenshots, so I adjusted the lighting a bit (give or take) to resemble how they look in VR in the game:

ANGJk8T.jpg

q588iXC.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom