Graphics Mod to Remove Haze

The PiMax 5K+ is particularly susceptible to the new "Greyness" of our latest graphics "improvement". Of all my HMD's (Rift, Odyssey, Vive Pro, Pimax 5K+) the Pimax has the greatest challenge to achieve the blackness of black.

The ship you are "test" flying matters. Folks flying a nice bright Cutter cockpit are not going to think this is a big deal, but if you are flying a dark Python cockpit and facing away from the local star, you will think there was a cigar smoking poker game going on in your cockpit!

I have found that an optimal Bloom setting is very important (and effective) to help mitigate this issue. It doesn't cure it, but it sure makes it less noticeable.

See the following forum thread for more detailed info: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/473108-Optimal-Elite-Dangerous-Settings-for-Pimax-5K?p=7369182&viewfull=1#post7369182

- Download an earlier version of 3DMigoto from the GitHub releases page (I use v3.3.0).

Think you got your versions mixed up. Latest version is 1.3.14. No 3 releases. In any case, I can confirm the latest version works for me as well.

Last edited:
Think you got your versions mixed up. Latest version is 1.3.14. No 3 releases. In any case, I can confirm the latest version works for me as well.

Thanks :) Meant "1.3.8". Edited the post. Recommended the earlier cos it works for me, but good to know the most recent works too.

Last edited:
This is a first. You seem to have to have installed 3DMigoto correctly so will need to trace the steps (and forgive me where I state the obvious, but safer to walk through each step):

- Uninstall 3DMigoto (just go to the installation directory and click uninstall.bat) to remove all existing files and reg entries relating to 3DMigoto.
- Download an earlier version of 3DMigoto from the GitHub releases page (I use v1.3.8).
- Unpack the archive in a temp directory and go to the 64 bit version (assuming you are using Win10).
- Copy and paste all of the contents of that directory - 5 files and 1 directory - into your ED game directory (make sure it is the one that contains the "EliteDangerous64.exe" file).
- Start ED as you normally would. The game should boot up without incident and, as CMDR Rdmc has said in the above post, you should see an overlay on the game mirror which will confirm 3dMigoto is being loaded (if hunting is set to "hunting=1" which is the default).
- Close the game.
- Download the "d3dx.txt" file from this thread (at post #36) and rename it to "d3dx.ini". That file is good to go and should work out of the box.
- Copy and paste the file to the same directory you installed 3DMigoto (you should be prompted to replace the existing file and may be asked to give admin approval. That's ok - it will confirm that the new file extension is correct and there's not a "txt" hidden in the name).

If you have followed those steps and not run into a snafu start ED again. I suggest you do it when you are in an station because (a) the change should be apparent due to the "haze" removal mod and (b) at this point you have "hard mode" enabled which can be a little unsettling if your not expecting the change. Assuming it all works as advertised, close the game and go back to your "d3dx.ini" file, open it in notepad and scroll down to the Elite Dangerous game options section. Comment out those options you don't want (just by using a ";" at the start of each line) and save. That's it, you should be good to go.

I tried 1.3.8, looks the same as ver. 1.3.14 to me. I even edited out the section to make it "hard core" mode and I still see the targeting circle, etc. With the default d3dx.ini I do get the overlay on the mirror to my monitor. I have no idea why it's not working. The d3dx.txt is being changed to a .ini, it's saving properly in Notepad++, no worries/question there, but it's not changing what I see in game.

And thanks guys for the responses, suggestions.

Here's a screenshot of my ED directory, you can see the d3dx is being saved properly.

ini.jpg

Last edited:
Looks same as ver. 3.1.14 to me. I even edited out the section to make it "hard core" mode and I still see the targeting circle, etc. With the default d3dx.ini I do get the overlay on the mirror to my monitor. I have no idea why it's not working. The d3dx.txt is being changed to a .ini, it's saving properly in Notepad++, no worries/question there, but it's not changing what I see in game.

And thanks guys for the responses, suggestions.

mmmm..Can see from the image that you have used the correct directory, there is an "ini" file icon on the d3dx file and you have confirmed 3DMigoto is loading. Installed in my game and I know it is working (including "hard mode" cos no circles or placeholders at all for me).

Maybe take a flight in super-cruise to see if the lines/particles are gone. This may reveal that some options are working and some not, which would in turn suggest that some of your shaders have different hash numbers to those used for the mods (long shot).

Also a little confused by your comment "edited out the section to make it 'hard core'". The d3dx.txt file I uploaded already has hard mode enabled. Basically, you shouldn't be necessary to make any changes to that file to make it work other than changing the file extension to "ini". Try using the file without any edits.

If still no change, got me stumped I'm afraid :(

Last edited:
You said you edited out the hard mode section...but by default hard mode is on with the d3dx file AD posted. Are you sure you didn't turn it off by accident?

You said you edited out the hard mode section...but by default hard mode is on with the d3dx file AD posted. Are you sure you didn't turn it off by accident?

Here's the relevant section, does it look alright?

; MOD OPTIONS
; Disable the starfield in normal flight.
; This removes the particles that move past the ship when in normal flight.

[ShaderOverride1]
Hash=06b5574cbb67cb5c
Handling=skip

; Disable the starfield in supercruise.
; This removes the stars that move past the ship in supercruise.

[ShaderOverride2]
Hash=13c7cd6955a2b95e
Handling=skip

; Disable supercruise lines.
; This removes the moving vertical lines on each side of the cockpit.

[ShaderOverride3]
Hash=89fe00881332dc43
Handling=skip

; Remove the haze in spaceports.
; This removes the white haze inside large spaceports.

[ShaderOverride4]
Hash=698a0cdaf669a609
Handling=skip

; Clean your window.
; Enable this mod for a clean cockpit window.

[ShaderOverride5]
Hash=e29d91120fc28c8e
Handling=skip

; Hard mode (for "immeeeershun").
; This is for commanders who want a more challenging game or remove external
; clutter for videos or screenies. The known effects of this mod are:
; (A) All external distance or object markers are removed. You will need to fly
; using the compass, nav panel and eyeballs! Investigating a USS or POI
; on a planet surface will require your attention!
; (B) No supercruise or hypercruise vector guides. You must align your
; ship to enter either cruise mode.
; (C) No targeting cues. You must line your ship up with the object or other
; ship or use the navigation panel to select it. Can still lock and shoot
; etc. but there will not be a targeting pip so aim is a good eye
; or gimballed weapons.
; (D) No night vision. Eyeballs and lights on the darkside!

[ShaderOverride6]
Hash=74a61bc54382d4d9
Handling=skip

One other thing to try. The F10 key will re-load the d3dx.ini file by default. You can comment out/in something in the d3dx file, hit F10 in the game, and the file will reload. This should allow you to toggle the shaders and maybe spot a difference that way. Try out in supercruise with hard mode to make sure.

edit: Yeah that looks fine.

Last edited:
Ah, is that why I get a few messages about missing shaders on start-up and then every time I take a screen-shot (which also uses F10)? :)

Yup!

edit: Although, I checked my game and got no errors when reloading the file. Think you might have something wrong.

Last edited:
One other thing to try. The F10 key will re-load the d3dx.ini file by default. You can comment out/in something in the d3dx file, hit F10 in the game, and the file will reload. This should allow you to toggle the shaders and maybe spot a difference that way. Try out in supercruise with hard mode to make sure.

edit: Yeah that looks fine.

I gave it a whirl. I'm sitting a few km's from the station, changed the Hunting to 1, hit F10, I get the overlay, change Hunting to 0, hit F10, no overlay. But, I still see the targeting circle, etc, while in SC. And when I re-enter the station it looks like everybody has been roasting marshmallows in there for a week, full of foggy/smoke.

I have no idea, that's multiple attempts, so I'll just leave it for now.

Thanks again for the help.

Damn that sucks. Really strange. You're viewing the changes in VR right? I'm not certain if it affects the mirrored version, but you never know. Otherwise I'd just try a full reinstall of 3dmigoto.

Last edited:
Spaceman Si, if your getting errors go to the "Rendering" section in the d3dx.ini file and enable "track_texture_updates=1" to see if that helps. Note that it could result in a small performance hit so only use it if it definitely solves the issue.

Muskoka, your d3dx.ini settings look good. Frustrating cos it should work. You have my sympathy.

One last (desperate) suggestion though.. do you reload the shaders each time you start ED? I have that game option enabled so the game shaders are refreshed each time I start the game. With 3dMitogo mod installed, reload the shaders when you start the game. Similarly, it may be worth flushing your Nvidia shader cache so it reloads the shaders (not sure how to this but Google it.. its pretty easy). Updating your Nvida driver (if it needs it) may do this by default anyway and will cause the game to do the same based on my experience.

Last edited:
Ya, I'm viewing in vr.

It's alright, the sweet smell of burning marshmallows when entering the station is kinda soothing after a few hours of mayhem in a CNB.

I'll give it another try tomorrow and see what happens.

mmmm..Can see from the image that you have used the correct directory, there is an "ini" file icon on the d3dx file and you have confirmed 3DMigoto is loading. Installed in my game and I know it is working (including "hard mode" cos no circles or placeholders at all for me).

Maybe take a flight in super-cruise to see if the lines/particles are gone. This may reveal that some options are working and some not, which would in turn suggest that some of your shaders have different hash numbers to those used for the mods (long shot).

Also a little confused by your comment "edited out the section to make it 'hard core'". The d3dx.txt file I uploaded already has hard mode enabled. Basically, you shouldn't be necessary to make any changes to that file to make it work other than changing the file extension to "ini". Try using the file without any edits.

If still no change, got me stumped I'm afraid :(

Missed something in this post where you mention about the editing of the d3dx.txt file? Here's the relevant section from the file I downloaded today from post 36. It has the "hard mode" disabled by the looks of it to me? I've been having to "uncomment / remove the semicolon" from those 3 last lines. How they are below, is what I see/get when I download, at least it was at 9:02 am today . Is there other edits in the file that I might be missing? Am I not getting the correct d3dx.txt when I download?

; MOD OPTIONS

[ShaderOverride1]
Hash=06b5574cbb67cb5c
Handling=skip

[ShaderOverride2]
Hash=13c7cd6955a2b95e
Handling=skip

[ShaderOverride3]
Hash=89fe00881332dc43
Handling=skip

[ShaderOverride4]
Hash=698a0cdaf669a609
Handling=skip

; Clean your window.

[ShaderOverride5]
Hash=e29d91120fc28c8e
Handling=skip

; or gimballed weapons.

; [ShaderOverride6]
; Hash=74a61bc54382d4d9
; Handling=skip

Last edited:
Missed something in this post where you mention about the editing of the d3dx.txt file? Here's the relevant section from the file I downloaded today from post 36. It has the "hard mode" disabled by the looks of it to me? I've been having to "uncomment / remove the semicolon" from those 3 last lines. How they are below, is what I see/get when I download, at least it was at 9:02 am today . Is there other edits in the file that I might be missing? Am I not getting the correct d3dx.txt when I download?

; MOD OPTIONS

[ShaderOverride1]
Hash=06b5574cbb67cb5c
Handling=skip

[ShaderOverride2]
Hash=13c7cd6955a2b95e
Handling=skip

[ShaderOverride3]
Hash=89fe00881332dc43
Handling=skip

[ShaderOverride4]
Hash=698a0cdaf669a609
Handling=skip

; Clean your window.

[ShaderOverride5]
Hash=e29d91120fc28c8e
Handling=skip

; or gimballed weapons.

; [ShaderOverride6]
; Hash=74a61bc54382d4d9
; Handling=skip

You are quite right.

The file I looked at has "hard mode" enabled for some reason. Not sure why there is a difference, but in any case the file you have is ok (I checked the shader hash numbers and they are the same) and adding or removing the ";" will enable or disable an option.

I'm still stumped so I've sent an email to the 3DMigoto dev with a heartfelt request that he read this thread (#post 59 on) and offer any suggestions or insights. Hopefully, he will get back to me. If so, I'll update here. :)

Last edited:
You are quite right. The file I looked at has "hard mode" enabled for some reason. Not sure why there is a difference, but in any case the file you have is ok and removing or adding the ";" will enable or disable an option.

I'm still stumped so I've sent an email to the 3DMigoto dev with a heartfelt request that he read this thread (#post 59 on) and offer any suggestions or insights. Hopefully, he will get back to me. If so, I'll update here. :)

Great, and thanks. Just wanted to make sure I was trying/using a file that didn't have some other "odd" edits in it that might have been causing issues.

The "Clean Window" mod, what does it do exactly ?. I still get haze around the frame work of the canopy under specific lighting conditions, any chance that this sand-paper effect can be completely removed?.

I've checked that the Clean Window is enabled, and yes Hard mode is enabled with the d3dx file from post #36. easy enough to disable it.

The "Clean Window" mod, what does it do exactly ?. I still get haze around the frame work of the canopy under specific lighting conditions, any chance that this sand-paper effect can be completely removed?.

I've checked that the Clean Window is enabled, and yes Hard mode is enabled with the d3dx file from post #36. easy enough to disable it.

Yes, I noticed this as well. I also noticed it seems to remove some lighting effects, particularly the lens-flare type effect coming off stars, neutrons especially. I ended up turning it off.

Top Bottom