A Guide to Minor Factions and the Background Sim

Now completing cz actually does decrease rep with the enemy.
No exact figures, but I just did 4 hcz and a massacre mission, and it took away about half my Allied bar.

Does it? I have run several CZ against a faction I'm full allied with, and I'm still full allied. One high, One Medium so far.

That massacre mission will have reduced your rep though, by that much.

Last edited:
Does it? I have run several CZ against a faction I'm full allied with, and I'm still full allied. One high, One Medium so far.

That massacre mission will have reduced your rep though, by that much.
No it didn't.
Wish people would be a little less willing to claim people are wrong all the time just because you observe something different.

No it didn't.
Wish people would be a little less willing to claim people are wrong all the time just because you observe something different.
Settle down mate.

I didn't jump up and down screaming "NO U R WRONNNG!"... in fact I didn't say you were wrong at all. I literally just posted my observations from testing I'm doing right now... which is:

3 CZ's down. No change to rep with the enemy faction (100% allied), and I confirmed this after each CZ (as I dock to reload/refit each time)
One Massacre mission handed in, knocked down from 100% allied to high-Friendly with the enemy faction.

Maybe you observed something different, but you've observed a rep reduction as a result of "4 hcz and a massacre mission", and my test above shows separated observations of each event, with CZs having no impact, but rep damage caused by a mission.

Now, maybe there's a reason I'm not seeing a rep drop with completed CZs. Maybe it's a caching rep thing where the losses from CZs aren't being applied unless you log out or hand in a mission or some other trigger. Maybe rep loss doesn't happen if you're allied with both sides. These are all possibilities, which is why I *didn't* say you were wrong, I just said I'd observed differently. We may both be right...

Maybe revisit who is accusing who of being wrong right now...

Last edited:
Most of the system influence is locked up in conflicts, so it seems to mainly be earning at the expense of the Anarchy faction. A couple of people bounty hunting regularly in the system would barely show up on the traffic reports ... what are the crime/bounty reports like? The controlling faction does also own a lot of stations, including the ones closest to the star, so it might not take a lot of passing trade traffic to boost it.

With Jet Legal Co having been in a Civil War for most of the last week, missions done for them will have had no impact on system influence levels at all. If you win that war you'll then be clear of all the other factions, and then you'll be in a good position to push towards the controller.

Most of the system influence is locked up in conflicts, so it seems to mainly be earning at the expense of the Anarchy faction. A couple of people bounty hunting regularly in the system would barely show up on the traffic reports ... what are the crime/bounty reports like? The controlling faction does also own a lot of stations, including the ones closest to the star, so it might not take a lot of passing trade traffic to boost it.

With Jet Legal Co having been in a Civil War for most of the last week, missions done for them will have had no impact on system influence levels at all. If you win that war you'll then be clear of all the other factions, and then you'll be in a good position to push towards the controller.

Yeah the civil war is hampering our influecne till its over, but they just jumped 7% IN LESS THAN 12 HOURS, from 52.25% to 59.5%

There has to be something SERIOUSLY wrong with BGS right now

Yeah the civil war is hampering our influecne till its over, but they just jumped 7% IN LESS THAN 12 HOURS, from 52.25% to 59.5%

There has to be something SERIOUSLY wrong with BGS right now

Factions dont get any influence during conflict at all - there are some edge cases in certain circumstances but not clear if bug or feature.

The BGS ticks once a day, currently around 1PM UK time and counts the previous 24 hours activity. 7% gain in one tick would not have been unusual in 3.2 for a system that size. No-one is quite sure what normal in 3.3 is yet :)

There are suspected bugs where in some systems, some factions seem to get the benefit of work for other factions. But i don't believe that's happening here. Imperial society is in Civil liberty and investment. That doesnt happen without cmdr activity. It looks like someone has been working for them. The most likely explanation is that you have some company.

Last edited:
Factions dont get any influence during conflict at all - there are some edge cases in certain circumstances but not clear if bug or feature.

The BGS ticks once a day, currently around 1PM UK time and counts the previous 24 hours activity. 7% gain in one tick would not have been unusual in 3.2 for a system that size. No-one is quite sure what normal in 3.3 is yet :)

There are suspected bugs where in some systems, some factions seem to get the benefit of work for other factions. But i don't believe that's happening here. Imperial society is in Civil liberty and investment. That doesnt happen without cmdr activity. It looks like someone has been working for them. The most likely explanation is that you have some company.

I'll keep my eyes peeled but honestly I'm online nearly 3-5 hours a day and have yet to see another commander outside of my squadron here.

I'll keep my eyes peeled but honestly I'm online nearly 3-5 hours a day and have yet to see another commander outside of my squadron here.

Check the Traffic Report in the station. That shows each hyperspace entrance to the system in the last 24 hours. Subtract the ones that are your squadron's activity and see what's left. If it's more than zero, you've definitely got some company ... even if it's zero people could be mining or bounty hunting without leaving the system, of course.

Useless exercise. Commanders can fly in "solo" or "private group" mode. Such pilots you will not see, and affect the economy, politics within the system, they will!

Just an update, did about 20 high influence missions (+++ or higher) last night and ended up netting 7% at tick.

at the end of the conflict? Thats a new 3.3 mechanic by where the victor gains around 4% and the loser drops around 4% automatically at the end of conflict. If it was none state pre-tick, well done and carry on!

Quick question about Pirate Attack.
How do you cause it and how to you counter it ?
Also what are its effects ? (apart from it making Core mining items good to sell)

Last edited:
Quick question about Pirate Attack.
How do you cause it and how to you counter it ?
Also what are its effects ? (apart from it making Core mining items good to sell)

We don't really know- it seems wealthy system is the cause-
Your security slider might go down as effect.

We don't really know- it seems wealthy system is the cause-
Your security slider might go down as effect.

We had it in one of our systems recently, with no real Idea why it came or how to counter it :(
Nothing we did made any difference and there where no indicators to what was having an effect.

One guess was that killing wanted Controlling Faction ships may have caused it, but we do not know for sure :(

Last edited:
It's very difficult to spot any pattern to Pirate Attacks

Patterns I have seen out in Colonia:
- they appear much more likely to hit factions with system control
- non-control factions facing pirate attack only seems to happen in busier systems. I can't see any system where a non-control faction has had pirate attack but the control faction hasn't
- busier systems tend to get more in general (but one busy system - Deriso - has had none at all so far ... while a few extremely quiet systems have had multiple)
- there is no obvious correlation between the number of pirate attacks and the crime/bounty reports

They could plausibly be completely random regarding which system they hit, with a possibility of "spreading" to non-control factions in the system which might be less random.

Other than the well-known trade price effects, they also don't appear to do anything...

Civil Wars seems completely busted right now.

Our faction has won the last 3 tickets of civil war, somehow last nights tick we moved from Victory to draw and the faction status is showing our enemy "dominating" the last 2 days.

Our faction status
Capture.PNG

Enemy faction status
Capture.PNG

Civil Wars seems completely busted right now.

Our faction has won the last 3 tickets of civil war, somehow last nights tick we moved from Victory to draw and the faction status is showing our enemy "dominating" the last 2 days.

Our faction status

Enemy faction status

Double ticks do (Rarely?) happen. People are unsure if it's a bug or not, as FD (apparently) said at some point that it was still possible to lose a conflict if you'd won 4/7 battles.

Last edited:
somehow last nights tick we moved from Victory to draw and the faction status is showing our enemy "dominating" the last 2 days.

Just worth noting that the 'dominated' bit in local faction news is the total days during the war/election that a side has won - not the number of days they've been in the lead.

i.e. If faction A wins the first three days their news will say 'dominated for 3 days' and faction B will say 'dominated for 0 days'. If faction B then wins the next three days then both news will say 'dominated for 3 days'

This wasn't clear to us to begin with.

Top Bottom