Obsidian shenannigans (The Outer Worlds)

But hey, the markets aren't rational, and money talks.
I don't see studios burning bridges to their customers will still exist five years from now. Selling out never paid off in the long term.

But I can also see that many of those old chaps don't even care about that. Who doesn't want a golden handshake and set off to greener pastures? It happens all the time, usually by selling out to a big corporate publisher (which Obsidian already did). Sometimes it doesn't work, like for Notch (Markus Persson) who seems to be a little depressed in his huge mansion, but I don't see Chris Roberts being unhappy after being finished with his space whales for the second time.

BTW: Star Citizen is coming to Tencent as well, in a last ditch effort to procure some money to keep the lights on. Just wait for it! :D

You probably don't remember but when EA launched Origin and pulled their games from Steam, the reaction was even wilder than this.
And this is something different than the console vs. PC exclusives.

Consoles were always closed ecosystems and people are buying them with that in mind. I don't have problem with that One exclusive even convinced me to buy a PS3, a couple years back.
But it's this artificial segmentation of PC market that grinds my gears. There is no reason behind it, other than corporate greed.
As for if Epic store is good for developers, we'll have to see.

Is barely segmentation when it's readily available to anyone. All you need to do is open an account. Can be done from everywhere, anytime. Is actually no segregation at all. Just another store to buy from.

And agree to ToS.

Well, for those who want to make an Epic account and live in EU and other coutries that signed up GDPR, there is one good news - Epic's ToS are NOT compliant with EU regulations about sharing and storing personal information.

What that means in translation - you can agree to their ToS but you are not legally bound to adhere to them as they are not a recognized lawful document. :D
Just like signing unlawful contract.
So there's that.

Last edited:
Well, for those who want to make an Epic account and live in EU and other coutries that signed up GDPR, there is one good news - Epic's ToS are NOT compliant with EU regulations about sharing and storing personal information.
That's why I prefer money on the counter, game disc in return. It's much more simple.

There are technical solutions to the 'too many darn launchers' problem. Epic is doing fine by giving devs more profit sharing and pointing out how terribly Valve manages their storefront imho.

At least Steam is a storefront though. I mean seriously: https://trello.com/b/GXLc34hk/epic-games-store-roadmap

Store Search lauded as the latest addition? A Shopping Cart planned 6 months down the road? The epic launcher was not meant to be a storefront, they just hastily switched gears when someone decided this is gonna make the money. It's not ready to do anything at the moment, aside from offering 6 games, until the page runs over. And please don't say Steam was just as bad, because that was decades ago. When Origin launched, it WORKED as a store, when Uplay launched it WORKED as a store. The epic page is a steaming pile of dung that didn't even have a search function two weeks ago.

Also as I said in my previous post, if the devs are so quick to point out that you don't need the launcher, then why have it at all? GOG does not force you to use Galaxy to get the DRM free titles, so why does EGS do so?

And Outer Worlds is the rare case where they have to offer it in the windows store, otherwise it would be exclusive to the EGS store, like all the others. And this is not competition. If their launcher is so awesome like people keep telling, then why not let the game launch on Steam, Humble, EGS, whatever at the same time, and let the consumer choose where they want to buy it. This whole "we gonna stick it to steam" is giving me an ulcer by now. Easy to point and laugh at explicit games and say we won't have them. Steam didn't have them either, and the same people who are lording EGS as the savior now were heckling Steam for being too strict and having too much moderation.

I personally can easily wait the one year it is delayed until it is available on platforms of my choosing, and by then at least it'll be GOTY and bug free, probably.

You probably don't remember but when EA launched Origin and pulled their games from Steam, the reaction was even wilder than this.
And this is something different than the console vs. PC exclusives.

Consoles were always closed ecosystems and people are buying them with that in mind. I don't have problem with that One exclusive even convinced me to buy a PS3, a couple years back.
But it's this artificial segmentation of PC market that grinds my gears. There is no reason behind it, other than corporate greed.
As for if Epic store is good for developers, we'll have to see.

Highlighting in bold .... that is the issue, corporate greed. And players are not stupid, they can smell the stench of greed a mile away.

Last edited:
Dev studios are saving me a lot of money, instead of spending 150/180$ on Metro, Phoenix Point and Outer Worlds, I'll end up spending 40$ or less in a year or so... That is, if I'm still interested in them a year from now, Metro Exodus for instance I no longer give a fling about it.

What I surely won't do is support store "exclusives", especially crap store exclusives.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NMS

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
At least Steam is a storefront though. I mean seriously: https://trello.com/b/GXLc34hk/epic-games-store-roadmap

Store Search lauded as the latest addition? A Shopping Cart planned 6 months down the road? The epic launcher was not meant to be a storefront, they just hastily switched gears when someone decided this is gonna make the money. It's not ready to do anything at the moment, aside from offering 6 games, until the page runs over. And please don't say Steam was just as bad, because that was decades ago. When Origin launched, it WORKED as a store, when Uplay launched it WORKED as a store. The epic page is a steaming pile of dung that didn't even have a search function two weeks ago.

Also as I said in my previous post, if the devs are so quick to point out that you don't need the launcher, then why have it at all? GOG does not force you to use Galaxy to get the DRM free titles, so why does EGS do so?

And Outer Worlds is the rare case where they have to offer it in the windows store, otherwise it would be exclusive to the EGS store, like all the others. And this is not competition. If their launcher is so awesome like people keep telling, then why not let the game launch on Steam, Humble, EGS, whatever at the same time, and let the consumer choose where they want to buy it. This whole "we gonna stick it to steam" is giving me an ulcer by now. Easy to point and laugh at explicit games and say we won't have them. Steam didn't have them either, and the same people who are lording EGS as the savior now were heckling Steam for being too strict and having too much moderation.

I personally can easily wait the one year it is delayed until it is available on platforms of my choosing, and by then at least it'll be GOTY and bug free, probably.

I'm sure they'll improve their storefront in time. They should have launched it in a better state, I'll grant.

Unless there is some really concerning privacy/security thing going on with their (admittedly poor) storefront I'll still pick up Outer Worlds. (Also Rebel Galaxy Outlaw for that matter). This whole situation just doesn't merit a boycott, for me anyway.

Well at least cyber punk will not be coming out as an exclusive on epic store front.

I've seen the tweet from them that says they will release on as many platforms as possible, but they didn't specifically say they would not be Epic exclusive, so they didn't actually rule it out.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
The game is dead (on arrival).

Probably not dead on arrival. If Epic is to be believed then the new Metro game sold quite well on their platform.

It's really too bad that the Epic store itself is so crappy, I admit. They'd save themselves a boatload of bad PR if they had more parity with their competitor's platforms at launch.

The game is dead (on arrival).

I wouldn't go that far.
I really dislike Epic and their store, but even I will probably buy it, in the end.

There are lots of people who hate Bethesda, right now, and will buy it out of spite, too. :D
I believe it will be a good game with interesting story and characters and Fallout-ish gameplay loop and people will love it.

I just wish they'd release it platform-wide.

Top Bottom