Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

All right you win. I forgot the limpets and the packhounds I was in such a rush to start pirating and I got killed by a wing of four elite vultures.
What a maroon I am.

I was flexing my “Mostly Harmless” muscles at the weekend, and had been having a profitable and entertaining time at a local High Res site. Then I got scanned by some upstart in an iCourier, wondering what I carried (nothing... not in my Viper MkIV tank ;) ) so I scanned them back and saw “WANTED” appear. I opened fire gleefully, and then was dismayed to discover that they started emitting chaff and hitting me constantly whilst always being somehow slightly out of reach of my confused weapons. It was at that point that I saw “Elite” listed on the target details....

Oops.

With hull down to 30%, I wound up the FSD and Brave Sir Robined out of there before it got critical :D

Sometimes I think the cops just like to go trigger happy and gung ho on you - I mean, they can see you firing on Mr. Big then they fly into your firing line.

Perhaps they just want the practice.

But I can just picture 'em sometimes; half a smoked and chewed cigar, a thousand yard stare and growling "Yeah. Get some. Get some." Sort of a cross between Sgt. Apone and the minigun operator in Full Metal Jacket.

Well, to once again return to the OP question:

I burried my brother, today. I haven't been playing Elite for the last week, but now I'm ready to start again. I think it will be a nice therapy.
I'm thinking of once again clearing my save and starting over. Maybe a clean mining+exploration playthrough. It should be fun. :)

1st off!

My condolences, 2 weeks ago i buried my father, never easy... :(

Sometimes I think the cops just like to go trigger happy and gung ho on you - I mean, they can see you firing on Mr. Big then they fly into your firing line.

Perhaps they just want the practice.

But I can just picture 'em sometimes; half a smoked and chewed cigar, a thousand yard stare and growling "Yeah. Get some. Get some." Sort of a cross between Sgt. Apone and the minigun operator in Full Metal Jacket.

Yesterday i went and test out the loadout of my brand new Federal Corvette wich i outfitted to be a PVE / Explorer mix use and i was doing just fine, taking out npcs left and right with the full multicannon loadout i set on it till i was going up a notch engaging 3 at a time that were together, and one of those "cops" crossed my fire and all of the sudden i had besides those 3 that i was aiming for, 3 groups of federals gunning at me, basically 3 anacondas, 3 vultures, 1 krait and 2 vipers... I lost my shields, took damage to hull, took the 3 i was after out, them used boosters and got my a*** out of there, cause taking fire from 9 ships, well, as much as the ship is soaking up fire from enemies, that was too much, i got away doe, with 32% hull left...

Really anoying when that happens for sure, u have no way of knowing when one is gonna do that so u stop firing and dont hit them... Oh well, if its part of the game, i supose we gotta suck it up.

Still managed time to fix the ship and head on to engenieer the guns to lose some "fat" so jump range gets higher a little bit, since my main use for the ship and gameplay is still exploration.

Heading out now to MAIA to start my next goal i set for me as a player and explorer.

In an all multi-cannon setup consider engineering the guns for the smart rounds special effect the shells should self destruct if a friendly gets in the way, similar to the way turrets stop firing in the same circumstances.

Commiserations to all.

In an all multi-cannon setup consider engineering the guns for the smart rounds special effect the shells should self destruct if a friendly gets in the way, similar to the way turrets stop firing in the same circumstances.

Commiserations to all.
Honestly, the smart rounds are about as good as smart cars. Good driver is only slowed down by them.
In all-MC build I'd go for
Incendiary Rounds :D :D

I considered the incendiary rounds, and if i was on a combat oriented build that would definatly be what i would add, but since the guns are there more for defense, rather then offense, i slapped light weight mounts and stripped down on top to reduce weight so i can squeeze as much jump range as i can from the ship.

I considered the incendiary rounds, and if i was on a combat oriented build that would definatly be what i would add, but since the guns are there more for defense, rather then offense, i slapped light weight mounts and stripped down on top to reduce weight so i can squeeze as much jump range as i can from the ship.
Then you're doing it wrong (with all due respect) :D
For a defense build, MCs suck noodles. You need a high-alpha weapons. You need to strip attacker's shields as quickly as possible and run when they back off to recuperate. If you're just tickling them with MCs, they won't leave you be.
So for a defensive build I'd go with something like pack hounds, beam turrets, Plasma accelerators, etc.

I saw this posted some time ago, and kept a copy to remind myself of my failure to exercise good trigger discipline at all times. Elite in combat with no bounties, ever...just shows what is actually possible. I think I just don't have that kind of situational awareness :)

2eaGo5D.jpg

I saw this posted some time ago, and kept a copy to remind myself of my failure to exercise good trigger discipline at all times. Elite rank in combat with no bounties, ever...just shows what is actually possible. I think I just don't have that kind of situational awareness :)

2eaGo5D.jpg

Then you're doing it wrong (with all due respect) :D
For a defense build, MCs suck noodles. You need a high-alpha weapons. You need to strip attacker's shields as quickly as possible and run when they back off to recuperate. If you're just tickling them with MCs, they won't leave you be.
So for a defensive build I'd go with something like pack hounds, beam turrets, Plasma accelerators, etc.

That is something to consider, im using the MC cause i do like them, and for the most part the npcs that ive been getting that i actually go head to head instead of turning away and going out are normally small ships, and with those its normally, fire, fire, shields down, fire, fire, bummm... Done! Bigger guns, with slower fire rate, but especially not that much accuracy vs smaller ships... Somehow seens to me not good idea...
Even npcs with anacondas im having no issue to take them out quick and easily enough, unless they are in a pack i havent had any issues.

Most of the stuff im gonna do, will envolve having to stay in a danger zone to collect something interesting, even doe under fire, so having some offensive capability isnt bad.
Also i need to have in mind the weight of the stuff i need to use better guns, since power consuption in some cases from what ive seen is a problem with only a D-Rated power plant and distributor... Dont know if that changes with engenieering, or if it is visable afterwards to use it as im using to do limited exploration...

Off course that if i go open and end up with a human on the other side... That is a all diferent ballgame... ;)

Its a balancing act, between what i wanna do and what i would like from the ship... Gotta get something that is between.

im gonna stick with this for now, since i do hope i wont even have to deploy them for the most part of the time, but when i take a break to rest from my current "quest" ill probrably experiment a bit.

Top Bottom