Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Hmm.... getting odd errors trying to log in from the ED Launcher.

And I just took my T9 out again with a pile of biowaste. Weeeooo, what a stink! It'll take the ground crew a while to get rid of the odour. What DO they feed space cows on Rothman Vista? Anyway, that ship is a hulking behemoth. I might take it to a RES and see how she fares. Hmm? What do you mean? :poop:

The guns to manoeuvrability ratio is wrong on the T9, for a ship that manoeuvrable you want abot 5 times as many hard points and they should be bigger. The T10 is better but still hasn’t enough guns.

T10 i had it and tried it and i did like it, dont have it now, but when i do eventually buy one back, probrably as a cargo runner (i know T9 can haul more), ill stick turrets on it, even doe make less damage, when set to fire on any enemy that attacks, are probrably the best choice as a defense in that role, alongside some PDs to stop those missiles...

But yeah, that joke never gets hold, running biowaste around = crap... lol...

Having once had a billion credits and still not being Trade Elite I should like to point out that it is only credits from trade activities that count bounties and bonds definitely don’t count neither I think does exploration money.

Me I am still out surface mining and trying to learn how to drive up precipices.

I am also trying to get used to the new forum.

99% of my credits has been from missions and mining.

I should like to point out that it is only credits from trade activities that count bounties and bonds definitely don’t count neither I think does exploration money.

Perhaps I misunderstand, but this appears inaccurate.

Exploration rank can be gained through sightseeing missions and even SRV mileage. Trade rank can be gained through transport and delivery missions. Combat rank is strictly kills.

T-10 mining. Wow that thing is big! When scraping your nose against a fissure in front of you, your six is scraping against the rock behind you :D

Great cockpit, and with dirty drags it handles ok when orbiting the asteroid. The hull is strong with this one. I got a little excited, disarmed a charge and missed the timer. Still needed to put that final small charge in a crack, so when the countdown started I thought what the heck and stayed. Not a scratch!

T-10 mining. Wow that thing is big! When scraping your nose against a fissure in front of you, your six is scraping against the rock behind you :D

Great cockpit, and with dirty drags it handles ok when orbiting the asteroid. The hull is strong with this one. I got a little excited, disarmed a charge and missed the timer. Still needed to put that final small charge in a crack, so when the countdown started I thought what the heck and stayed. Not a scratch!

My only serious issue with the T10 as a miner other than size of course, is how far off axis the hard points are which makes some of the mining tools tricky to use I am much more comfortable using my Python.

@aRJay

I have used a Conda for mining so far, but the hardpoint positions makes it hard to aim the abrasion blasters, unless you use the two large slots at the nose. The small hardpoints on the T-10 are only slightly more spaced but they are up front. The center medium slot below the cockpit is perfect for the seismic charge launcher. That still leaves a lot of slots for weapons. I use beam lasers that are engineered to "efficient". Once I get a PvE pirate in the sight, I simply press the trigger for a few seconds and boom. Quite satisfying instead of running.

Another thing I noticed was that when looking for cores I often flew past them in the Conda because the cockpit visibility is quite limited (in VR). In the slow T-10 I have all the time in the galaxy to look around, and it seems more efficient. I have only done a few trips so far, but +200 mill per trip is more than I got in the Conda. The spoiler though. It gets caught in the mail slot :)

@Tyres O'Flaherty

I get sick from doing Dav's Hope in the SRV. Instead I've started going to RES and kill pirates. After they pop, I use collector limpets to gather the mats. It's less of a grind, and I don't get sick. It also seems that the amount of stuff I gather is quite ok. Worth a try if you get bored of doing Dav's Hope. In Low RES it's very easy, but the Haz RES seems to give better mats, and it's still pretty easy using a large shield. I even went from harmless to competent in an evening, unlocking Broo. Bonus!

Now I just need to figure out how to get Raw Mats without using the SRV, and then I'll happily jettison it in outer space. I hate it ;)

Two funny things just happened. I took my Clipper (Heart of Gold) for a quick cargo run and, when I reached planetside, the ship descended really heavily - how it didn't crash through the landing pad, I'll never know!

The second thing was on my iCourier (Perdita X Dream) - which I haven't really flown so did a couple of data runs to see how she handled (on rails). Upon returning home, I engaged the DC, cruised through the mail slot and sped to the pad like bat out of hell. It actually bounced off itI kid you not!

Well, I thought it was funny :D ... I'll get me coat.

As to what I'm up to.... I mentioned earlier in this thread that I had taken an eight-month break from Elite, and came back about 3 weeks ago. So lots was new, including core mining. The other night a friend took me out and walked me through it. I knew you guys had made a killing in the Void Opal market and I wanted in.

I disliked the old mining so much, that one day I tried it, mined one fragment, then flew home and sold all the mining equipment I had just bought, never to mine again, Selene Jean be damned, until two nights ago.

Since then, I have made nearly 500 million. Double Elite's just a night or two of dedicated core mining away. As appealing as that is, G5 armor engineering is what I am after, and more than halfway now to Selene Jean's invite. I find the core mining a huge improvement, another really nice change from FDev.

It requires a bit of skill. Mastery of the ship as you FA-off flip and twist to get in position to fire the charges. The timer adds a bit of urgency, and I suspect that the rocksplosion never gets old. Far better than the mind-numbing old procedure, in my view. Plus it's making me rich, will unlock an important engineer and get me another Elite badge. What's not to like? :)

Working on federal rank, and as such bought the Federal dropship and am doing courier and cargo runs on that for the federation faction in the system im in (Sothis > Ceos) and doing ok, got to leutenant coronel ysterday, will continue, almost to what i want, to get the federal corvette, but oh boy, the grind... :(

I've been doing a lot of work evacuating refugees from burning stations and helping with the subsequent repair, mostly just because I like the game experience, but it's also a good way to gain military rank and earn a bit of cash. It's also just risky enough to be fun, while still being pretty safe once you master it.

If you end up allied with all factions after that then you unlock a number of small collection missions during the repair phase, which are easily stackable up to 20 and quick to do if you have a refinery system nearby. Time bonuses typically add a few million credits per run and missions usually restock in time for you to do it again. You do get hunted/interdicted a lot, but I've always been able to evade them so far, even though it's challenging in a T9 (and if you were in something like a python you'd have the option of submitting and taking them out for the bonuses). I'd recommend it to anyone doing the military rank grind, as it's fairly quick and more interesting than some of the alternatives.

Working on federal rank, and as such bought the Federal dropship and am doing courier and cargo runs on that for the federation faction in the system im in (Sothis > Ceos) and doing ok, got to leutenant coronel ysterday, will continue, almost to what i want, to get the federal corvette, but oh boy, the grind... :(
Go rescue passengers from a station that's had a Thargoid attack.
In your case you want one with as many Fed factions as possible.
Much faster than Ceos/Sothis.
You'll need heatsinks (gets hot in those stations), and docking computer won't work.(y)

Got interdicted and accidentally surrendered. Decided to see what my Python could do. Erm... wha? The blighter hit me with some kind of hull damaging missile. Good job I have A rated G5 thrustypoos.

Tail deffo between legs. Hit that booster!

Lesson learnt.

Deep joy.

Top Bottom