ANNOUNCEMENT April Update - Coming 23 April 2019

Beginner's Zone

A new collection of systems has been added for newly-created Commanders, and can only be accessed by pilots until they earn their first Combat, Trade or Exploration rank.

While this is a nice feature, it's also a mildly irritating one for those of us (i.e. most of us) who already have Elite ranking (on multiple accounts in some cases) because it's essentially adding new content to which existing players are deliberately being denied access unless they wipe their current save.

If there was some way for veteran players to also experience this new content without having to wipe their saves in order to see it, that would be much appreciated. If there is no way to do this, then I fear the introduction of such an exclusive feature will inevitably draw the ire of more than a few existing players.

Of course, if we had multiple CMDR slots on our accounts, then this would be much less of an issue...

As one of those who enjoys getting a coffee while I dock, I' don't mind this change at all .. adding an undock feature makes sense to me. SC Assist is basically like auto-pilot... again makes sense for a ship in the future to have these.

I do worry tho, Will that these 2 features may make it easier for those who use bots.

And as much as you may get sick of me and others in the Powerplay Community saying this.. I again lament another update with no changes done for Powerplay.

New Modules

Advanced Docking Computer
We're adding an upgraded version of the original Docking Computer, a module designed to allow Commanders to relax, let go of their flight sticks and automatically dock in stations to the serene strings of Johann Strauss II.​
The Advanced Docking Computer will not only allow you to dock, but also allow you to automatically undock from a station without anxiously worrying about getting stuck inside the mail slot. Let's face it, it will also help with those embarrassing Type-10 spoiler moments!​
This module will also come as standard in all newly-purchased small ships. If you're starting up a new account, you will find the Advanced Docking Computer in your ship from the get-go - making it easier for you to embark and disembark from your favourite stations without colliding with the walls, landing pads or your fellow Commanders.​

Supercruise Assist
Available at your nearest starship department store (i.e. Outfitting) comes the new Supercruise Assist module. While in Supercruise, you'll be able to target a destination and activate Supercruise Assist, putting your safety in the reassuring hands of a machine. In this mode, your ship will automatically maintain the correct speed and approach to your target destination, and break out of Supercruise at the optimum time. You'll still have to align with the correct location, but you will no longer have to worry about doing a loop of shame!​
With the the Supercruise Assist, you will also be able to enter into orbit around a body - allowing you to launch discovery probes and take screenshots without the fear of face-planting the dusty, rocky ground.​
This module will also come as standard in all newly-purchased ships.​

While this is a nice feature, it's also a mildly irritating one for those of us (i.e. most of us) who already have Elite ranking (on multiple accounts in some cases) because it's essentially adding new content to which existing players are deliberately being denied access unless they wipe their current save.

If there was some way for veteran players to also experience this new content without having to wipe their saves in order to see it, that would be much appreciated. If there is no way to do this, then I fear the introduction of such an exclusive feature will inevitably draw the ire of more than a few existing players.

Of course, if we had multiple CMDR slots on our accounts, then this would be much less of an issue...

Tell me you're joking.

You can't possibily be serious.

In Murray Walker's voice Oh my goodness this is fantastic!

Really nice update, thanks guys! I'm really interested in how the Advanced Docking Computer and the Supercruise Assist works, they seem to be helpful tools.

I'm interested to know where these "beginner" systems are and if they're in any way accessible by pilots like me that have reached elite.
I'd hazard a guess that you cant access them if you have an Elite rank, based on this part...
can only be accessed by pilots until they earn their first Elite rank

edit: in the 20 minutes I took to read the first page, 4 more pages appeared and this was answered.

Great stuff, guys. So... Interstellar Initiatives. Sounds very enticing! And.... is that a supercruise autopilot of sorts I see (minus the need to manually align your ship in the right direction(s). I was thinking about space legs (groan) and the idea of visiting different "stations" on board your ship as an obvious benefit/purpose of such a feature and that an autopilot of sorts would be needed. Perhaps this is a first step in that direction?....

Hopefully the update of trading UI will finally add option to type in the exact number of how many tons of stuff CMDR would like to buy/sell.

That could be interpreted as the "collection" being added vs. the systems being added, as in adding systems to that collection. I do hope you are right, however, though it'll be kinda weird from a Stellar Forge "poof, new solar system" perspective.

Maybe they are in the Cone sector or similar locked area, and already exist ;)

I’d be sad not to go back to Eranin if it turned out to be part of the locked area, but I can hardly be too fussed about it since I’ve not been there in over 12 months at this point...

One QOL update I would like is something to deal with the increased fire groups needed, e.g. different fire groups per mode.

Same here. It wouldn't help the beginner, but it would be a huge step ahead on the modes, would make them much more useful and might stop the rambling about them. :D

Top Bottom