Griefers at the Engineers

It's just frustrating when I see all this silliness in the pvp subforum that is Supposed to be about PvP, and it's being overrun by the PVE community.

Seriously bois. This isn't the place for your silliness.
That's the same way dedicated PvE'rs feel about having their trade mission, mining activity, engineering activity (see thread OP) etc. interrupted by someone who feels like engaging in forced PvP.
One would think you'd be okay with it.

That's the same way dedicated PvE'rs feel about having their trade mission, mining activity, engineering activity (see thread OP) etc. interrupted by someone who feels like engaging in forced PvP.

What you're describing above is part of the game that all participants agreed to when they fired it up and chose Open Play.

What happened here in the thread was going super far off topic to the point of not being helpful really at all for the discussion at hand. It's silly to turn it around and basically say, "See? How do you like it?"

Touché.

But let me derail and use this opportunity to quote the great thinker, Scooter:
"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice."

(disclaimer: I know full well he didn't come up with that, but oh well, how much is the fish?)

Okay, let's return to the real thing. How about starting another meta-meta-discussion about the state of meta-discussions in the different forums.

This never was a thread about strategy or tactical behaviour etc. It started with the question whether PvP is acceptable or not. As soon as all the opinions are stated, there is not much to do but to attack the premise of the other position. It's not surprising that such a thread cannot keep on track isn't it?

More to the point, I think PvP has a much too steep entry. While I personally enjoy the combat with other players and the optimization of ships, there are too many people too scared to actually fight. I really hope that the upcoming changes include some beginners guide to PvP.

The Replicated Man

T
The thread started out where the OP was attacked by a conda and a beluga in deciat. Those gankers were brought to justice. Case Closed.

Diving into mental gymnastics, philosophy debating, and armchair psychology just does not make sense. We need to stop those kind of thread derailments before they even start because they lead to one conclusion. A locked thread.

Remember when this thread was just being angry about the nasty griefers? Good times.
Well, I just now docked at Garay terminal. Doing a tour of the engineers to get some experimentals on my vulture, hopped in and there was a FAS and a mamba hanging around - got pulled from the side by the Mamba. Alrighty, submit, tap boost and start circling, pick out a high-wake target, pop chaff... they had hardpoints out but hadn't gone red yet. Huh.

Then I see frag pellets flying past me.

They tried to use frags. Against a vulture.

My drive is halfway spooled up, one of them finally dinks off my shield, and I get the drag munitions warning.

They're trying to use drag munitions against a vulture.

Needless to say I got away without my outer ring even getting discoloured.

They're trying to use drag munitions against a vulture.

Well done getting away from a gank attack :love: What are they supposed to do against a vulture? Not use their frags, or do a hot swap right then and there for something more appropriate?

Well done getting away from a gank attack :love: What are they supposed to do against a vulture? Not use their frags, or do a hot swap right then and there for something more appropriate?
I think "what are they supposed to do against a vulture?" is one of those questions they should have considered when picking their target :p

As a total PvP failure, why are drag munitions not good against a vulture?
You know how the top of your throttle moves down when you run with less than 4 pips to engines? Drag munitions make you fly as if you had 0 pips. Different ships are affected more by pips than others - flying with 0 pips on a T9 will cap your throttle around halfway up the bar. A corvette or python is pretty noticeable too.

A vulture? Well...

compared to 4 pips...

It really doesn't lose much.

Achilles7

Banned
... blah blah blah...

I've posted many times the problem isn't the players. It's the house that FDEV built.

& just like on all those other occasions, you are wrong!

Wings of PvPers are the mob & pack mentality takes over, which under certain circumstances can lead to bullying...boredom plus enjoyment derived from annoying / upsetting others make Open what it is; the only role the game plays is that it is a bit sh*t & causes said boredom! There are some great guys in the PvP crowd, of course; Xpressive, Chongo, Rinzler (when he's not playing up to his peers), Dangerous.com, Pechleuchleupucluch luck - he's named after the sound of a vomiting cat, you know?! - but there is also a significant underbelly of sociopathic Wonkas (as in Willy).

I've just got back from Portugal YNWA & I see what "the mob" does to otherwise cool people on a regular basis & like Susan Boyle, it's not pretty.

'Reminds me of a close call when I went clubbing in Brighton!

Figured while I'm posting screenshots, I just hopped into my taxi hauler for a comparison. This one would suffer from a drag shot - assuming it survived one!

I think the context of the comment was that there were indeed godd quality PVE events or offerings where he was suggesting that there were not good quality PVE experiences. Perhaps I misinterpreted his point.

My point was that the PvE aspect of this game is woefully absent. The idea behind the DWE is much the same as what we were discussing about player led initiatives in PvP: what makes the expedition (or PvP bounty hunting with player sponsored targets and payoffs) is the interaction between the players themselves. Take the DWE: the actual PvE gameplay for those guys is almost nonexistent, not much better than watching paint dry. The only thing that makes it compelling is players working together and organizing their own cool gameplay, and for that matter the Distant Ganks Expedition for players initiating their own goals and gameplay in an adversarial role.

Drag is about psychological warfare and breaking your opponents workflow and concentration, as opposed to literally slowing you down. In other words, it's only really relevant when you're trying to shoot back.
Hah, kinda like scramble? Aside from the occasional lucky RNG on the thrusters, most of the time the purpose of that one seems to be just annoying your opponent with constant "module malfunctioned" messages.

Hah, kinda like scramble? Aside from the occasional lucky RNG on the thrusters, most of the time the purpose of that one seems to be just annoying your opponent with constant "module malfunctioned" messages.

Sure, and another one is the concussion rounds: all three of those are super frustrating if your trying to line up plasma or rail shots because they eff your timing.

Last edited:
More to the point, I think PvP has a much too steep entry. While I personally enjoy the combat with other players and the optimization of ships, there are too many people too scared to actually fight. I really hope that the upcoming changes include some beginners guide to PvP.

Excellent point!

And it's not just all the rock-paper-scissors rules of outfitting and the nuances of actual combat, but also the grind required to first buy and then engineer that PvP ship. You need to either be very competitive, seriously itching to gank, or simply OCD to go through the trouble. I've only recently outfitted my first PvP ship, and I've been playing since launch. Couldn't be bothered.

Would be awesome if there was an in-game "combat sport", complete with size and/or price range classes/divisions, where players could compete. Think CQC, but with your own ships. With different ship classes and divisions (with promotions and demotions), this would go a long way to allow people to try PvP at a level suitable for them. Also, the division tables and happenings in the league could regularly make GalNet news or the newsletter, so that there would be in addition to in-game credit prize, fame and glory involved.

Top Bottom