Roadmap leaked??

FD are professional Devs of course they are capable of making a mechanically enjoyable 1st person game. Lots of much smaller houses have done it.
Whether or not they will feel that is the best use of their time for the type of game ED is is another question.

Not completed is not equal to no experience gained, to answer your question I don’t remember, it’s such a long time ago.
This old thread maybe contain some clues.
Thanks for the link, interesting albeit brief read. Jameson does get about a bit don't he!

I agree on the experience gained, there is frequent overlap when developing IP projects.

I am on phone with awful internet but this is false. Horizons when 1st launched was split with date of Q1, Q2, Q3 and then final dlc was not dated but logics would dictate Q4. Honestly anyone saying the current release schedule and gap between paid dlcs was always planned are either fooling themselves or trying to change hiatory

Nope its as true as it was the last time we had this conversation, it just became "forum truth" after theorycrafting and some selective reading.

Nope its as true as it was the last time we had this conversation, it just became "forum truth" after theorycrafting and some selective reading.
Ok I guess I will have to try to find an unedited version of the horizons roadmap when I get home if you really think I am making it up

AHH ok so you are saying the plan was release horizons in 1year then have a 5+ year gap before next paid DLC and those who expected otherwise are unreasonable? Come on give over mate. I am not even raging about it it is unfortunate but I can live with it so long as when it comes it actually ticks some boxes from the original dev plan, atmospherics or legs I dont care. But accusing folk esp those who already paid in advance of being impatient at this point and that the game is running to the schedule planned is dishonest.

Archive of the August 2015 Lifetime Expansion Pass store page (£130, plus £10 discount to basegame owners):
https://web.archive.org/web/2015080...ngerous-horizons-lifetime-expansion-pass.html
Elite Dangerous: Horizons will continue to introduce new features and gameplay as the season continues into 2016

ELITE DANGEROUS: HORIZONS
A new season of expansions for Elite Dangerous, starting Holiday 2015 on PC.

Archive of the August 2015 Horizons Beta store page (£50, plus £10 discount to basegame owners):
https://web.archive.org/web/2015081...gerous-cat/elite-dangerous-horizons-beta.html
A SEASON OF CONTENT
The second major update for Elite Dangerous: Horizons will release in Q1 2016 with more expansions to follow.

Archive of the February 2016 Horizons DLC store page (£25; no longer included the basegame, therefore no discount for basegame owners):
2.1 – The Engineers
Coming Spring 2016
Everything changes. Introducing an expanded mission system and game-changing loot. Craft exotic weapons and modules for your spacecraft and build a ship unlike any other.

2.2 – Guardians
Coming Summer 2016
Take what comes and strike back with double. Bring a second ship to every combat encounter with Ship-Launched Fighters and defend your passengers against the deadliest threats in the galaxy.

2.3 – The Commanders
Coming Fall 2016
Team up and stand together. Forge your own identity with the new Commander Creator, then share your bridge with Multi-Crew and fly with friends.

2.4 – ????
Coming Soon

Archive of the May 2016 Horizons DLC store page (now £20; just prior to 2.1's arrival on 26th May):
All timeframes for 2.x updates were changed to:
Coming Soon

With New Era scheduled to be ready by the second half of 2020, if it arrives in Dec 2020 that would make it 5 years since Horizons 2.0 and 3y3m since Horizons 2.4.

Last edited:
AHH ok so you are saying the plan was release horizons in 1year then have a 5+ year gap before next paid DLC and those who expected otherwise are unreasonable? Come on give over mate. I am not even raging about it it is unfortunate but I can live with it so long as when it comes it actually ticks some boxes from the original dev plan, atmospherics or legs I dont care. But accusing folk esp those who already paid in advance of being impatient at this point and that the game is running to the schedule planned is dishonest.

I haven't called you impatient, I said you were wrong and explained why you've made that mistake.

lol, did you miss the guy in the chopper firing tranquiliser darts at the dinosaurs, with a hand held rifle? What do you think is the first step in automating procedurally generated landscapes, weather, flora, fauna and buildings for use on planet surfaces? It's been built, tested and successfully sold in JWE.

Next steps: Take the basics, break them up into a modular system so it assembles itself and deploy...
Yeah. No, that's not how it works. That's not how any of this works.

What you seem to be suggesting is a) they have some trees and buildings, so thats the work done, b) just feed it into the magic procgen box and WHAM! Star Citizen Elite Dangerous Atmospheres!

Not really.

Similarly, there's a guy with a gun that you can control in a vaguely 1st person stylee? WHAM! Space Legs here we come.

Not really.

I haven't called you impatient, I said you were wrong and explained why you've made that mistake.
Ok my apologies for that that was more aimed at other posters and shouldnt have been at you
I still stand by the fact that the games progress has been far too slow far slower than was intimated.

Last edited:
Archive of the August 2015 Lifetime Expansion Pass store page (£130, plus £10 discount to basegame owners):
https://web.archive.org/web/2015080...ngerous-horizons-lifetime-expansion-pass.html

Archive of the August 2015 Horizons Beta store page (£50, plus £10 discount to basegame owners):
https://web.archive.org/web/2015081...gerous-cat/elite-dangerous-horizons-beta.html

Archive of the February 2016 Horizons DLC store page (£25; no longer included the basegame, therefore no discount for basegame owners):

Archive of the May 2016 Horizons DLC store page (now £20; just prior to 2.1's arrival on 26th May):
All timeframes for 2.x updates were changed to:

With New Era scheduled to be ready by the second half of 2020, if it arrives in Dec 2020 that would make it 5 years since Horizons 2.0 and 3y3m since Horizons 2.4.
Good work commander :)

Not completed is not equal to no experience gained, to answer your question I don’t remember, it’s such a long time ago.
This old thread maybe contain some clues.

To repeat something I meantioned earlier, FDev apparently canned the Outsider dev' team.
If that's correct, the company doesn't currently retain any FPS talent.

Anonymous said:
So after chatting to a friend who is a technical aritist in Frontier, i was given the roadmap for the next 5 years or so.
No one does this to his friends. Lame attempt at trolling from a person that craves for more information about Elite, thinking that by giving away "information" about other Frontier titles will give more merit to this amateur "leak".

Last edited:
What you seem to be suggesting is a) they have some trees and buildings, so thats the some work done in the right engine, b) just feed it into the magic procgen box and WHAM! Star Citizen Elite Dangerous Atmospheres!
Who said there wouldn't be a whole bunch of work to be done? As a proof of concept within the Cobra engine we can see it's possible, they've already done it, and it looks really impressive. Did I suggest it would be easy, or quick? No, but being able to leverage R&D costs with another product is quite clever.

A significant chunk of the trial and error is done, expanding on that base IP is more efficient.

To repeat something I meantioned earlier, FDev apparently canned the Outsider dev' team.
If that's correct, the company doesn't currently retain any FPS talent.
30 layoffs I saw somewhere earlier today, which might not have been the whole team.

Edit: No mention if any of them were re-hired since.

Last edited:
Personally if space legs = first person shooter then I’d say this is very wrong. Elite is about many other things, and not pew pew gameplay. You don’t invest hours of developing your commander and his ships and wealth, only for him to be shooted by some FPS person somewhere randomly.

If space legs = walking around a controlled spaceport environment in a station with other characters, seeking out that elusive contact who has that illegal star chart you want to trade for credits, all whilst eluding the security team,admiring the view out of the window of a seedy space pub, then ok perhaps I could get on board.the gameplay mechanic of security, pirates, trading, etc should be carried over and reinforced by personal interaction.

One thing space legs should do is reinforce the scale of the ships and the spaces. Walking around the hangar would be awesome.

But to me, Elite is primarily about ships. Spacelegs could break this fundamental of the core gameplay if not handled extremely well.

But I’ve played elite ever since the original bbc version so perhaps I’m biased!

Last edited:
Top Bottom