Patch Notes Update April Update - Patch Notes

This just makes no sense. Sure once the boost is over you will be on a predictable trajectory - but no more so than you were before the boost. You can start applying the same "regular" evasion when the boost ends that you could have before boosting. Lats and verts benefit from boosting as well, so you shouldn't be predictable by the direction of your prow.

By boosting, at least the enemy has to first adjust to your rapidly changed vector. I (not any other PvP'er it seems in this thread) simply can't understand how you are making the argument that one can be just as evasive without boost as with it. This makes no sense whatsoever.

"rapidly changing vector"? You must be thinking of agile ships that can flip their momentum on a dime like the FDL or Viper, which I expressly excluded from my point you were responding to. Most ships change their vector so slowly that the boost is at best preventing flanking, not allowing for actual evasion, because your next boost will a stall or a predictable arc.

Or maybe you just don't actively study and try to improve your PvP. I don't even play on his platform never mind timezone and I've heard of Yamato. This is because part of getting better at PvP is analyzing the video and recommendations of the top PvP pilots - and he certainly qualifies.

You're really just digging a hole here man. The suggestions you had for the paper airplanes to not die on DW2 were good but here these suggestions just make no sense and seem like the wild hopes of someone who doesn't blow stuff up / get blown up often enough.

Sounds like you don't know me at all either, other than by a couple forum posts, and I can see you aren't reading my posts here fully in context before responding. It's common so I don't take it personally. I agree watching videos is a good way to learn from other people. Another way is to actually have semi-original ideas that actually work, but not everyone does this. I see a lot of cookie cutter builds out there from "experienced" players that don't do very well imo, and some that are flown masterfully can do amazing things that other pilots only dream of doing. I will concede that there are a lot of players on the other side this debate who fall into the latter category. But not everyone who has mastered the meta knows everything there is to know about the combat mechanics, and that includes myself even though I specialize in knowledge of unloved non-current-meta mechanics. It's a deep game. If there's one thing I've learned, don't be so sure that you know it all, no matter how well you've practiced the meta.

But wouldn't it make sense to fix that perma-boosting stuff, instead of coming up with another magic engineering effect, which will propably shift the meta from more-or-less-skill to seeker-frag-shieldtank-click? I don't see the need for this change. FD themselves implemented that perma-boost stuff, especially with the Kraits. I have to repeat, fix the underlying issues instead of hoping for the best with a new effect.

Yes. It might. But I think that if the patch was allowed to go through as is, it would force some more adventurous people to try to make PD and ECM actually work, which isn't as straight forward as it seems skill-wise. And if people get used to using these modules well, they may be willing to voluntarily give up stacking SB if they turn out to be a more efficient defense, and may even be upset if these FUN utility mounts are ever patched back into irrelevance. So the drag change has some additional benefits that simply altering permaboost would not have. Also, getting rid of perma boost in non-combat situations would making flying over planet surfaces in exploration arguably much less fun.

Last edited:
Sounds like you don't know me at all either, other than by a couple forum posts, and I can see you aren't reading my posts here fully in context before responding.

Sure I know you. You're the guy who claimed gankers don't know how interdictors work, and fruitlessly tried to save the paper airplanes on DW2 but they all just took a dump on your well intentioned efforts.

I don't know many PC pilots who've fought you, which is strange, since despite playing a much shorter amount of time than you I've fought a large portion of the active PvP community on my platform. That's a bit off, and part of why I'm skeptical of all these theories. The other part being, I stress evasion heavily in my piloting style, and boost is a big part of it.

How much context do I need to interpret/judge statements that boost doesn't help evasion, or reverski as a frag counter. They're just bad suggestions.

I stress evasion heavily in my piloting style, and boost is a big part of it.

What ship do you fly evasively using boost?

How much context do I need to interpret/judge statements that boost doesn't help evasion, or reverski as a frag counter. They're just bad suggestions.

I see you read my post about as well as some DW2 members read my gank evasion post then. Because that is not what I said. I said that non-agile gankable ships can't use boost evasively, which is most of the ships in the game. And I said that higher DPS frags counter lower DPS drag frags. You can call these "bad suggestions" at your own peril. That is your call though.

Last edited:
Most ships change their vector so slowly that the boost is at best preventing flanking, not allowing for actual evasion, because your next boost will a stall or a predictable arc.

All the motion is relative. Even if the boost brings you to zero velocity, this is not a stall unless the opponent happens to as well. There is nothing more predictable about the 2nd boost than not boosting. Of course one may wish to stagger and vary the timing of boosts to be less predicable, but this applies to non boosted manuevers as well.

Boost multiplies your acceleration (this includes deceleration) . That is what it does. It is the opposite of a stall.

Alliance ships, vultures, couriers, vipers. Agile ships with good lats/verts and acceleration.

But it doesn't matter. All ships have increased acceleration - and thus the ability to be evasive - while boosting.

Last edited:
The change I'm most excited about is in the spoiler so I won't mention it here, other than to say 'Yay'. You combat pilots are so knowledgeable and passionate about Elite, but you're in a completely different game from me. Elite may not be all things to all people but it's certainly most things to most people. (y)

"rapidly changing vector"? You must be thinking of agile ships that can flip their momentum on a dime like the FDL or Viper, which I expressly excluded from my point you were responding to. Most ships change their vector so slowly that the boost is at best preventing flanking, not allowing for actual evasion, because your next boost will a stall or a predictable arc.

Sounds like you don't know me at all either, other than by a couple forum posts, and I can see you aren't reading my posts here fully in context before responding. It's common so I don't take it personally. I agree watching videos is a good way to learn from other people. Another way is to actually have semi-original ideas that actually work, but not everyone does this. I see a lot of cookie cutter builds out there from "experienced" players that don't do very well imo, and some that are flown masterfully can do amazing things that other pilots only dream of doing. I will concede that there are a lot of players on the other side this debate who fall into the latter category. But not everyone who has mastered the meta knows everything there is to know about the combat mechanics, and that includes myself even though I specialize in knowledge of unloved non-current-meta mechanics. It's a deep game. If there's one thing I've learned, don't be so sure that you know it all, no matter how well you've practiced the meta.
No we don't know you because you don't pvp, you aren't in open PvPing, like the actual pvpers, that's why, you don't know what you are talking about because you have never actually tried it.

I'll explain what I meant. For any ship that can't change momentum/direction quickly and indefinitely with permaboost (eg any ship that is not an FDL) when you boost you invariably leave yourself flat footed (what some people called "stalled") or at least partially stalled and easier to hit. So while this might seem like an "evasion" it is actually setting yourself up for a clean shot in a few seconds. There are exceptions and methods for escape well enough temporarily by use of boost to get out of range, but these depend entirely on match up of ships.

Or maybe I don't play in his timezone...

I suspect that people who can't get PD to work are flying agile ships and trying dodge while using PDs, or putting them in places on the ship with a crappy firing horizon, or so they can't work in concert in the same direction. PDs need a stable platform, time-and-space to work, and a clear firing arc. If they are on a ship that is boosting and rolling and corscrewing to avoid PAs etc, they can't track a missile enough to get a lock. Likewise, people who can't get ECM to work haven't figured out the timing. It's tricky and can be a little subject to lag, but a single well timed ECM can negate and entire 48 missile volley from a PH FDL (if such a thing still existed). ECM give better coverage when you can stack them, and I suspect that if this change goes through and torps become relevant again, people will figure this out fairly quickly.

Is this sarcasm? I hope its sarcasm because if not there's a lot of corrections that need to be made to your basic understanding of how combat works. I'd be happy to help if you want.

Are you serious? The answer is all. All of them. You realize that the definition of being evasive is flying unpredictable vectors, and that the only way to change vectors is to cancel out some or all of your momentum and then apply force in another direction, right? And to do so, it sure helps quite a bit to be able to do all of that much more quickly, right? Evasion requires delta-v applied quickly.

non-agile gankable ships can't use boost evasively, which is most of the ships in the game.

Here's the thing. I kill those ships whenever I see them. And it's even easier when they don't boost. Like a lot of those DW2 explorers who didn't listen to you. With those undersized distros that limited their boosting, they were particularly easy to kill.

And I said that higher DPS frags counter lower DPS drag frags. You can call these "bad suggestions" at your own peril. That is your call though.

No, you said "flying a ship that can still reversky and club anyone dumb enough to stay within lethal range".

Reverski is a bad suggestion on multiple levels. First off, it's garbage play that's not fun and no serious PvP'er is going to make it as a suggestion. Second, it's utterly useless to an average gank victim. Third, good luck with reverski after your boosting has been disabled.

re "I said that higher DPS frags counter lower DPS drag frags" - the marginally higher DPS of your screening shell frags is not going to come out on top if the enemy has drag equipped and you don't because they will be landing a lot more shots than you will.

Last edited:
Are you serious? The answer is all. All of them. You realize that the definition of being evasive is flying unpredictable vectors, and that the only way to change vectors is to cancel out some or all of your momentum and then apply force in another direction, right? And to do so, it sure helps quite a bit to be able to do all of that much more quickly, right? Evasion requires delta-v applied quickly.
Show me a cutter evading fire from an FDL on that Cutter's SECOND boost. Or for that matter all of the seconds in between boosts.

I'll explain what I meant. For any ship that can't change momentum/direction quickly and indefinitely with permaboost (eg any ship that is not an FDL) when you boost you invariably leave yourself flat footed (what some people called "stalled") or at least partially stalled and easier to hit. So while this might seem like an "evasion" it is actually setting yourself up for a clean shot in a few seconds. There are exceptions and methods for escape well enough temporarily by use of boost to get out of range, but these depend entirely on match up of ships.

Or maybe I don't play in his timezone...

I suspect that people who can't get PD to work are flying agile ships and trying dodge while using PDs, or putting them in places on the ship with a crappy firing horizon, or so they can't work in concert in the same direction. PDs need a stable platform, time-and-space to work, and a clear firing arc. If they are on a ship that is boosting and rolling and corscrewing to avoid PAs etc, they can't track a missile enough to get a lock. Likewise, people who can't get ECM to work haven't figured out the timing. It's tricky and can be a little subject to lag, but a single well timed ECM can negate and entire 48 missile volley from a PH FDL (if such a thing still existed). ECM give better coverage when you can stack them, and I suspect that if this change goes through and torps become relevant again, people will figure this out fairly quickly.
First off, no you just don't pvp
Second the FDL is one of the worst ships in the game for stalls due to the size of its bluezone, more stuff you'd know if you actually pvp'd, it's actually the worst medium in the game for stalls.
Third, please stop making an absolute fool of yourself you are just oozing of someone who has never actually tried what you are talking about. Let me explain to you how pvp works in this game, this is not a game where you can just tank shots, where you can just slide backwards until your PD shoots the missiles down, this is because whilst doing so you are going to get murdered and you are also doing 0 damage, people who don't move in this game die, very quickly, ever noticed how no one flies the python or the dropship in pvp? An armour tank and a shield tank with more HP than the FDL, that's because evasion is the most important thing in the game for surviving, not doing that so that your PD which is already reducing your health pool can shoot down missiles is not a valid option, it's a way to an even faster death. As for ecm again you just don't grasp how fast combat is, you will not in the middle of combat have time to ecm someone who hits you with a missile from the front, you also cannot give yourself full ECM coverage without 3 ECM modules so them simply firing again is enough to make that defense useless. Each one of these modules reducing the HP you have for when you are inevitable hit by drag anyway be it via the missiles you failed to stop if you are actually trying to not die or by the frags that you didn't account for, try avoiding a pacifier and 12 other people, you won't, you will be hit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom