Roadmap leaked??

Nah, they are distinct. Like you said, the dino hunting stuff was an example flung out there occasionally, a fun possibility.

The Legs stuff had much firmer language used on the bigger bones of it ('You will be able to walk around a spaceport' etc), and those bigger bones are written into financial purchases like the LEP. Pretty distinct.

None of it means it's all nailed on to be delivered, for sure, but the language on the bigger stuff is certainly 'promise' tier in those examples, and borderline contractual regarding LEP sale info.

Trying to cast this stuff as 'Yeah that'd be cool' pronouncements is downplaying way, way too much.

They also said any expansions relied on financial viability and technical possibility. They already dropped the season model and lowered the price of Horizons so financial viability may be less than they planned for or take longer to achieve, they also delayed squadron carriers so technical feasibility may be hitting issues.

Go read kickstarter clearly explaining that plans always change and the end product might not be exactly as described. LEP's and kickstarters are always a gamble, kickstarter LEP's doubly so.

It's a simple case of consumer law; you can't sell something listing features to come and then not deliver on them. How they deliver them is completely up to them, and they may deliver something that is barely functional and consider it "done" just to get them out of any legal bind. However, we won't know until 2020/2021

No, you just didn't read the smallprint.

I am no legal expert however my feeling is FD will have worded everything so no matter what happens they are covered..... BUT anyone who tries to claim FD didn't advertise future features such as legs etc actively whilst selling the lifetime pass is being hugely dishonest.

FD may not have a legal obligation to deliver value to those who bought the lifetime pass (esp those who bought in at £130) but morally there is no question imo.
I am lucky .if the next DLC comes out @£40RRP I will consider myself breaking even , plus when I bought in it WAS a leap of faith to some degree but that all changed when the pass was sold after KSer ended imo.

Now don't get me wrong I ain't saying FD won't kick out some quality DLC I actually think they will.... I am just countering those who are intimating FD owe us nothing and anyone who thinks they do are entitled kids or pie in the sky dreamers plucking features out of our backsides.

Last edited:
Are we at the armchair lawyer and the meaning of words in the LEP and what David Braben said in a video 5 years ago phase of the thread?
Jesus Christ..... I specifically stated the opposite of armchair lawyer and downplaying statements to it was a comment DB made 5 years ago is why these threads get so blinking salty
You don't have to be a solicitor to figure out a company like FD know how to cover their backs that is just common sense

Deleted member 110222

D
Because there are words such as intend and current. That means they are not set in stone or a promise. Personally I believe that they still fully intend to add those things in. But to do them well, will take time. Two years to add space legs is about right as it is a huge amount of work if they intend to do it properly.

I am still hopefull that we will get atmospherics too.
It was two years to add space legs two years ago.

They also said any expansions relied on financial viability and technical possibility. They already dropped the season model and lowered the price of Horizons so financial viability may be less than they planned for or take longer to achieve, they also delayed squadron carriers so technical feasibility may be hitting issues.

Go read kickstarter clearly explaining that plans always change and the end product might not be exactly as described. LEP's and kickstarters are always a gamble, kickstarter LEP's doubly so.

No, you just didn't read the smallprint.
Consumer law trumps Kickstarter T&Cs and any "small print" in a EULA. That has already been established in various court cases. As I said, they can ship a minimum viable product where Elite Feet is nothing more than being able to walk around in your cabin (something that can be done already in VR) and say "that's it". Legally they would probably just about be covered, morally not in the slightest.

I am not entirely sure what your argument is? We are not going to get Elite Feet in 2020/2021? We are not going to get anything in 2020/2021? We know:
  1. Something is coming - that is a fact because Frontier themselves have said so.
  2. We know that a "leak" said that Elite Feet and base building would be coming. We have no idea if the leak is genuine or not other than it being accurate about a JWE update and the timing of the next product's announcement, release date and name.
Some of us have taken 1 and 2 and come to the conclusion 3 = Elite Feet in 2020.

Anyway, as ever conversations in Dangerous Discussions degenerate into mud flinging exercises for some reason.

It was providing story line context to CGs
So not absolutely nothing.
Nor do I understand why everything in GalNet has to be about a new feature in game
A very fair point i personally think theyve not quite found the right level for galnet i would say its one of the few parts of the game that doesnt feel any different to how it did 3 years ago yes it looks better and has audio but the news is, if anything, less consequential than it used to be.

I think galnet peaked when the mysteries were still mysteries like the formadine roft of proffessor palin or jaques there gasnt been much real narrative in there for a while just the odd fluff peices like wearable tech etc

Consumer law trumps Kickstarter T&Cs and any "small print" in a EULA. That has already been established in various court cases. As I said, they can ship a minimum viable product where Elite Feet is nothing more than being able to walk around in your cabin (something that can be done already in VR) and say "that's it". Legally they would probably just about be covered, morally not in the slightest.

I am not entirely sure what your argument is? We are not going to get Elite Feet in 2020/2021? We are not going to get anything in 2020/2021? We know:
  1. Something is coming - that is a fact because Frontier themselves have said so.
  2. We know that a "leak" said that Elite Feet and base building would be coming. We have no idea if the leak is genuine or not other than it being accurate about a JWE update and the timing of the next product's announcement, release date and name.
Some of us have taken 1 and 2 and come to the conclusion 3 = Elite Feet in 2020.

Anyway, as ever conversations in Dangerous Discussions degenerate into mud flinging exercises for some reason.

My argument is that you are wrong in your internet lawyering because you haven't read or understood kickstarters smallprint, go check it out for yourself I've found posting it at people doesn't work (you previously IIRC).

On that subject if FDEV took what you were saying seriously your account would be immediately deleted its their forum you've no inherent right to be here, it hasn't been so they don't. Another problem you are creating is that FDEV's legal dept will probably have a blanket instruction out for employee's to not talk to people banging on about legal action and redirect them to the legal dept (no matter how inaccurate) so by going there you guarantee no communication here other than that redirection.

Space feet might happen or it might not I hope it does but inaccurate consumer law comedy gubbins wont change that.

My argument is that you are wrong in your internet lawyering because you haven't read or understood kickstarters smallprint, go check it out for yourself I've found posting it at people doesn't work (you previously IIRC).

On that subject if FDEV took what you were saying seriously your account would be immediately deleted its their forum you've no inherent right to be here, it hasn't been so they don't. Another problem you are creating is that FDEV's legal dept will probably have a blanket instruction out for employee's to not talk to people banging on about legal action and redirect them to the legal dept (no matter how inaccurate) so by going there you guarantee no communication here other than that redirection.

Space feet might happen or it might not I hope it does but inaccurate consumer law comedy gubbins wont change that.

You're not taking this 'leak' well are you Stiggy :/

I would hazard a guess that you can't build on certain places. There would be rules involved. If there is an obstruction, like a commander then you can't put anything there. You are already instanced with the other person so it doesn't matter. If you are not instanced, well that's fine, once you leave the instance and then come back, the new part will be there. If you have parked your ship there, then I would have base defence and have a proximity area where ships are not allowed to in and will be fired upon after a certain time unless you have permission from the owner. I'm sure it won't be difficult to sort out.
Consider a range of cargo canisters that can be deployed by the Vogel SRV, the first being a Faction Beacon you can share on the galmap for all members. Set an exclusion zone for existing structures based on footprint, like the no fire zone and that beacon then establishes a control zone of it's own.

Bigger persistent bases have a zone multiplier with a live check across all modes (S/P/O) that prevents placement of more than one friendly, hostile or squadron beacon by a player (or the AI). If a beacon won't deploy it might be handy to have a wing in the air to spot POIs in case an instance reset fixes it.

Once the claim is made, the wing of officers lands with Faction permits to place a beacon of their own within a range that allows a number of structures to be built that includes interlocking a defensive wall and (eventually) allowing a small pad within the three beacons to bring more complex building "kits".

So, imagine a scenario where instead of the CZ to decide who gets a station, a siege beacon is placed within assault range of a persistent spaceport. Prior to that you built a support base with six control hubs and a "NEW!" Core Dynamics Advanced APC printer delivered via the medium delivery pad upgrade.

Continue adding squadron control hubs in a geometric pattern to qualify for up to three small docking pads with an option to add a hangar and spawn queue each so small ships can apply greater pressure on the enemy defenses while the APCs on the ground breach the gates and deploy tactical boots.

Capture the flag and the space port annexes any, now friendly structures within range and adds them to it's NPC air patrols to protect the turrets and pads. If they later get destroyed the ruins stay there until repaired by the original builder so a war zone builds up around popular locations until actively cleared.

Planets are HUGE in 1:1 scale. Will we fight over patches of dirt or spread out a bit?

We might not be able to steal other commanders ships but I can totally see us getting missions to steal some NPC ship and bring it to some location.
Perhaps even have this as a way to get yourself a new shiny ship - though you sure as heck would need to make the effort proportional to the reward.
Shady black market ship dealers that hang out in really seedy places with a mission list for one of each type of ship hull and bonuses to cover your costs if you A-Rate and engineer it, or just nick it like that.

Or you could keep it, and run the risk of getting scanned. Fly it like you stole it, woohoo!

My ships are my bases and I already build them... People are weird. :S

Alternatively, locking in people to stationary bases is counterproductive in a game like Elite. Defiantly hoping this sort of thing is not implemented.
Nobody is locked in. It would be optional. I can't see what the issue is. If people want to design and build their own personal base, how does it effect you?

Nobody is locked in. It would be optional. I can't see what the issue is. If people want to design and build their own personal base, how does it effect you?
Our ships are our bases. By locked in I meant to a specific location on a world or the like. It isn't what the game is about and would be an unfortunate development direction for the game to take instead of implementing stuff that the game is actually supposed to be as previously outlined by Frontier during the Kickstarter, etc.

More power to people wanting and getting stuff they like and all that, but it doesn't really make sense for this game. We're Commanders in the Pilots Federation, and refereed to as "spacers" and so on. The game isn't about us playing as fort building construction works in a sci-fi setting nor being tethered to one place for general gameplay progression and feature availability.

Last edited:
Our ships are our bases. By locked in I meant to a specific location on a world or the like. It isn't what the game is about and would be an unfortunate development direction for the game to take instead of implementing stuff that the game is actually supposed to be as previously outlined by Frontier during the Kickstarter, etc.
For you maybe. For others, no. What the game is about is down to the individual player. That is why it's a sandbox. Having a personal base would also be part of that sandbox. Nothing would be stopping you from playing the same way as you did before, having your ship as your base. Also during Kickstarter, personal bases were mentioned as well as space legs and landing on planets etc.

More power to people wanting and getting stuff they like and all that, but it doesn't really make sense for this game. We're Commanders in the Pilots Federation, and refereed to as "spacers" and so on. The game isn't about us playing as fort building construction works in a sci-fi setting nor being tethered to one place for general gameplay progression and feature availability.
Why does it not make sense? The game is about whatever you make it to be within the confines of the game. If those confines become bigger by adding player bases and/or space legs, I really can't see the issue.

We are part of the pilots federation, there is nothing to say that a pilot cannot have his/her own base, if they so wish it.

Top Bottom