Roadmap leaked??

Until you want to change something, this being an online-game, the server would have to check for "legal" changes. I think these would only happen during the weekly downtime (at least at that point, nobody could get synchronisation issues).
What do you mean by legal changes? How they would do it is up to Fdev. No reason why that as soon as changes occur they get update online straight away. Other commanders in the instanced area would see the station get updated. It may even have a building animation.

Nah. I think the original quote is much closer. In ED we don't pilot our ships around courses, it is meant to be a living and breathing galaxy, not just a space ship game. Hence the reason why there is so much more to the game such as stations, planets etc. If you want a game about only space ships CQC/Arena is what you are looking for and I would also say that space legs would be a complete waste of time for CQC/Arena too unless they decide to add in a foot combat section.

But not for the main game, there is plenty of space for space legs and it could be very good too, depending on implemetation.
I was able to resist responding to your earlier post but since you doubled down I'm here to tell you you're wrong and your analogy stinks. GTA has never at any point in time been primarily a car/driving game it was always about controlling a character who could get into and steal cars. There was never at any point in time a GTA game where you were just a car driving around, whereas every Elite game has always been built from the ground up to be about flying and outfitting spaceships (and in the first game it was ONE spaceship), which is why your hypothetical scenario about GTA players complaining about "road legs" is bizarre and idiotic.

You are a Microsoft Flight Simulator player who demands to walk around in the airport. You are a Sim City player who is upset that he can't play as a Cloud. You are a Castlevania player who wants to play as a chicken leg hidden inside a brick wall.

Do you really in your heart of hearts think fdev is going to allow us to put a station where we want?

edit - and everybody else too. 20 stations in orbit around Earth, all in everyones game, across all platforms. And when we add them, does fdev feed them into the sim seamlessly without Earth and indeed SOL breaking?

I don't see any problem with limiting new base construction to areas outside the bubble, or at least to uninhabited space.

I was able to resist responding to your earlier post but since you doubled down I'm here to tell you you're wrong and your analogy stinks. GTA has never at any point in time been primarily a car/driving game it was always about controlling a character who could get into and steal cars. There was never at any point in time a GTA game where you were just a car driving around, whereas every Elite game has always been built from the ground up to be about flying and outfitting spaceships (and in the first game it was ONE spaceship), which is why your hypothetical scenario about GTA players complaining about "road legs" is bizarre and idiotic.
I didn't come up with the GTA anology and didn't mention GTA players complaining about road legs, that was someone else. It's just a better anology then iracing which is a bit rubbish. The old elite were built the way they were because the tech wasn't there to add in elite feet. You didn't get SRVs in the old elite games either. DB himself said that the games are about the commander, not the ships. Maybe ED should have stayed as a wireframe game like the original Elite. Games move on. GTA used to be a top down game with very limited walking parts, it was mainly a car driving game. The new GTA is all about the person that drives those cars, the same with ED, except in ED we are glued to our seats.

You are a Microsoft Flight Simulator player who demands to walk around in the airport. You are a Sim City player who is upset that he can't play as a Cloud. You are a Castlevania player who wants to play as a chicken leg hidden inside a brick wall.
Ere nope. ED is nothing like Microsoft Flight simulator. Your other anologies are just gobbledegook. This is just getting idiotic now and is getting difficult to take anything you say seriously.

I guess if you make all the bases indestructible and not interactive to anyone other than the owner, then there might not be too much of an issue. Aside from the usual camping/instancing issues of meeting people.

They make no sense in the context of the game for 2 reason imo:

1. It's a spaceship game
2. What would you do there? What is the point in a game where everything revolves around you spaceship. There's no cargo/material/data storage, there's no player economy or trading, there's no passive income generation.

I just personally don't see how it all fits. Maybe in 5 years time when we're big game hunting on atmospheric planets, but now... Nope.
1) Spaceships gotta land somewhere. Spaceships gotta have somewhere to go. And aren't we discussing this in the context of a FPS module also being put in the game? Gives players hallways and T junction corridors to run around in.

2) If all the parts of the base are synthesized with mats and cargo, it's a whole new grindy schlep to keep players busy. Gives new uses for the material system and new purpose to all activities which give materials. People will build out of vanity and desire for self expression, even if the bases are useless.

But: there's no reason that bases couldn't have functional components, too. You can start with all the functionality that we take for granted at any starport. Every individual function, from refueling to restocking ammo to repairing your ship to turning in exploration data, could be a separate module or structure that you'd have to build in order to have that function when you dock at your base. This would make the material gathering-schlepping loop even more compelling.

Etc

There are so many issues with bases in this game though.
First there's instancing... Second, there's base attacks, which leads to a whole load of other things. How does one defend a base when not online? Or if it can't be attacked, we'll end up with bases on top of each other... any planetoid in the bubble will have streets... or if they need to be outside the bubble, for 100LY in every direction planets will be covered.
If I wanted Eve online, I'd have kept playing that!
I don't get why people keep bringing up base attacks like that's some kind of inherent problem. Almost nothing in Elite is destructible or interactive in any way. You already CANT damage starports, surface installations, those little satellite dishes near outposts, inflatable ground shelters, uh, ROCKS, or crashed nav beacons. Why would player owned bases be the exception to this?

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhsH5U7tz4A&t=68m04s

As relayed by Sandro, Braben's vision for the game has always been that you're more than just a ship.

What do you mean by legal changes? How they would do it is up to Fdev. No reason why that as soon as changes occur they get update online straight away. Other commanders in the instanced area would see the station get updated. It may even have a building animation.
Changes that are made on the p2p host need to be verified by the server to check if the change does make sense/ nobody cheats.
If a new building part gets placed somewhere another player is currently driving around and there is suddenly more latency so the host doesn't register this fast enough, will that player be moved to a safe place or destroyed?

maxresdefault.jpg
THIS GAME NEEDS TROPHIES!

Edit: Played a bunch of other games with storage for the (unique) mission rewards, boss drops and other collectibles but then, most of them had some kind of global (universal?) chat channel where you could link the things you'd found and then let people know where you got them and how they could go get one too.

Still waiting for PC to get an achievement list, another "collectible" that seems sorely lacking in ED :(

Edit, edit: Even some in-game mission / CR collectible paint jobs, kits and gear would be a nice start.

Last edited:
Tbh I think this is a tease if this leak is true, it could lead into us getting new blackmarket technology allowing us to steal ships and whatnot

Lol, this could be pretty lucrative if you managed to grab a conda, cutter or corvette. People are always on the move in space, but when docked to stations their just sitting rabbits. The gameplay possibilities imo. Wait for the cmdr to leave the ship than hack and steal or storm/board the ship while their still inside 😂. I’d prob sneak aboard while the cargo door is open and go for a joy ride before despatching the unsuspecting cmdr. The age of the Elite thieves will be upon us if stealing becomes a thing.

Last edited:
Changes that are made on the p2p host need to be verified by the server to check if the change does make sense/ nobody cheats.
If a new building part gets placed somewhere another player is currently driving around and there is suddenly more latency so the host doesn't register this fast enough, will that player be moved to a safe place or destroyed?
I would hazard a guess that you can't build on certain places. There would be rules involved. If there is an obstruction, like a commander then you can't put anything there. You are already instanced with the other person so it doesn't matter. If you are not instanced, well that's fine, once you leave the instance and then come back, the new part will be there. If you have parked your ship there, then I would have base defence and have a proximity area where ships are not allowed to in and will be fired upon after a certain time unless you have permission from the owner. I'm sure it won't be difficult to sort out.

Perhaps this is all part of Frontier's new marketing campaign. Paying a shady internet user in a dark, foggy alley somewhere in London for posting this on Reddit, only giving information about Planet Zoo while the rest is just nonsense... People start talking about Frontier, the forum starts rioting when Planet Zoo is announced... The world as we know it has been changed forever as wildly speculating people think they have found a grain of truth in that pile of poisonous rubble that is the internet... It's just like Aleister Crowley said: One must not bestow trust upon the internet, for it dost lie.

Last edited:
If base building did indeed become a thing, I think people should only be allowed to build one base, not multiple bases, per person. If one wanted to build their base somewhere else they would need to dismantle their existing base.

Also, I think some systems or planets should be permit-locked from building bases, so the tourist spots or important sites (e..g Guardian/Thargoid sites) don't get littered with player's bases.

It is a great feature of this forums, that people build rules for cases, that did not exist ingame and are not officially announced! Just building a defence for the own small world... just for the case it will be in danger! ;)

Squadrons could have operating bases, like an HQ or smth, limiting the activities of the members, encouraging them to visit the base from time to time.

I know it would not work for squadrons with exploration purposes though.

Tbh I think this is a tease if this leak is true, it could lead into us getting new blackmarket technology allowing us to steal ships and whatnot
Or it could be like the wearable tech they teased last year which resulted in absolutely nothing at all

If space legs becomes a thing, any commander seen walking around from my ship or SRV will be KOS.

I shall go to the dark side and become a ganker. No more care bear from me.

Top Bottom