Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Well i went 13k Ly before i started having second thoughts about the ship i picked for the trip and started a loop back to the bubble arriving late last night in wich i changed ships and will be heading out again today, and the void is calling me.

What I was up to just now was randomly jumping around and found myself 400Lys away en route to Barnard's something-or-other.

49% of me cried out to keep going but the 51% left voted a return home. Bit of a reverse Brexit if you like.

I was THIS close to a trip outside the bubble.

Coward! :D

Go to Jackson's Lighthouse. Supercharge the FSD (it's actually quite straightforward!).

Point in the direction of "Out There. Somewhere", and engage.... ;) You'll be further away in one jump than 4 max range jumps would take you, and then the wanderlust takes over....

(What I'm doing currently is waiting for the dust to settle from the latest patch, and the bugs to be fixed before I even think of starting it up; so I'm having an extended Easter break from the pilot's chair :) )

What I was up to just now was randomly jumping around and found myself 400Lys away en route to Barnard's something-or-other.

49% of me cried out to keep going but the 51% left voted a return home. Bit of a reverse Brexit if you like.

I was THIS close to a trip outside the bubble.

Coward! :D

Barnard’s Loop probably, the star isn’t that far, possibly a wise decision there be Dragons unknown permit systems out there which can make long range plotting tricky there is also other stuff.

Remember no matter how far out you get you are only one self destruct away from a dock somewhere.

Couldn't help myself, I've bought another T9.
This one's for layzor mining. Not the best ship for it, but I like flying the T9.
Not finished engineering it yet, it starts to overheat.

Could I use a beam laser with thermal vent on asteroids? :unsure:

Couldn't help myself, I've bought another T9.
This one's for layzor mining. Not the best ship for it, but I like flying the T9.
Not finished engineering it yet, it starts to overheat.

Could I use a beam laser with thermal vent on asteroids? :unsure:

Not sure if that would work as IIRC thermal vent cooling effect only operates when the beam hits the target.

I small trick you might know, but otherwise might be handy:

I have a LOT of of bookmarks in the Galaxy Map. First of all it took me some time to realize that I could rename those. However you can't sort them. Instead they are sorted alphabetically. If you put an ! in front of the text it will appear on the top of the list. Two !! will list higher than ! and so on. An example: Instead of having a bookmark called Jameson, if you rename it to !Jameson, it's easy to find, when you want to go home.

Edit: One more, while we're at it. When mining in a ring, I find it easier to find the good rocks looking at them from the dark side, so to speak. The side being lit by the star is often too bright to make out the orange color you're looking for. Since most miners plan a route through the ring, choose to fly towards the star. That way the dark side of the asteroids always face towards you. Select the star once you're in the ring, and off you go ;)

Last edited:
Well now you've made me realise I need to tour the constellations.

I know they will all be explored and mapped, but I still need to tour them. All I have so far is Maia and Betelgeuse, and that's wildly unacceptable for someone who considers himself an astronerd.

:giggle: You're welcome! I got the exploration bug and figured hitting the nearer constellations/nebulae would be a nice self-satisfying way to get started for a wanna-be astronerd. I'm now considering joining the Apollo expedition.

had one npc yesterday , interdict me, throttled down and he came straight at me, and exploded (he had no shields) .lol
they turning into Suicide jockeys

I employed ramming a bit in the combat training modules with some success, then tried it once against an NPC driving something whale-ish in solo. His shields were slightly better than mine. And my hull. Haven't done it again since.

Just made 116 million in 45 min cracking diamonds incl. selling them. The spot was one of those that overlapped another one. The other one was Alex..., but I only saw one rock with that.

When you've finished one rock, you can sometimes use the dust cloud you've created to pick the next rock. If it's far away, but still shows clearly through the dust, it's worth prospecting. In the ring I was in, you could often see and pick the next rock, while still collecting.

HR 4298 9

EDIT: When I started core mining, I sometimes went up to ~500 ly to find a "peaceful" hotspot. That is NOT necessary.

Last edited:
What do you mean showing my age its new on BBC2 in colour and everything.

It was in colour? I never knew! We didn’t get a colour tv at home until the 80s (cue lots of “Luxury!” comments and people licking road clean wi’t tounges)

No doubt iRobert Robinson looked quite a lot less grey than I thought he did ;)

It was in colour? I never knew! We didn’t get a colour tv at home until the 80s (cue lots of “Luxury!” comments and people licking road clean wi’t tounges)

No doubt iRobert Robinson looked quite a lot less grey than I thought he did ;)
We got our second hand colour set from an auction around that time, but an aunt and uncle had been in the telly trade and had one I think I saw it there.

Just received my promotion to Squire so as soon as my permit arrives its off to look around Achenar, I am told that planet 3 is an amazing sight from a fully D rated Type 9. Though in honour of my hosts I might use the iCourier or iEagle instead.

Last edited:
If you don't mind a little editing of XML files etc, you should be fine ;)

I could fix the engine trail fps drop with the xml edit, but right now the engine trails are something I use quite a bit for fa off vector confirmation and where my target went to. I could go and do something else like trade but the “slow buy / sell” would make that annoying. The power management bug, which doesn’t appear to have a work-around is a significant problem too, as I generally have builds that require things to be managed or off at certain times.

I spend a lot of my working week dealing with bugs, configurations, and work-arounds, so I’d rather not continue to do it at the weekend :)

I could fix the engine trail fps drop with the xml edit, but right now the engine trails are something I use quite a bit for fa off vector confirmation and where my target went to. I could go and do something else like trade but the “slow buy / sell” would make that annoying. The power management bug, which doesn’t appear to have a work-around is a significant problem too, as I generally have builds that require things to be managed or off at certain times.

I spend a lot of my working week dealing with bugs, configurations, and work-arounds, so I’d rather not continue to do it at the weekend :)
I've just re-engineered my frags (thanks Bob, they are evil now). Next up is Thermal Spread on my very Overcharged Power Plant, so the dashboard stops smoking when scooping.

"For those watching in black and white the pink ball is the one behind the green...."
Thanks! I'll make a screendump of that and use as my wallpaper. Then I can look and laugh, whenever I feel slightly misanthropic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom